Game-Labs Forum

Things that make no sense thread.

I welcome everybody to post something about the game that really makes no sense.

I will start with something that I had to learn the bad way, that is, by doing it:

I crafted a Surprise, a green quality one (which is what devs want us to do now!), made of oak, and gave it Speed bonus, just to try and improve it a little bit. It turned out that by giving a green quality ship a speed bonus, means that actually its no bonus at all, but a penalty of -0.57knots in speed!!!!!!!! That´s right!! I chose speed bonus and got a speed penalty instead!!!! It makes no sense!

Edited by stormridersp
  • Like 1

I welcome everybody to post something about the game that really makes no sense.

I will start with something that I had to learn the bad way, that is, by doing it:

I crafted a Surprise, a green quality one (which is what devs want us to do now!), and gave it Speed bonus, just to try and improve it a little bit. It turned out that by giving a green quality ship a speed bonus, means that actually its no bonus at all, but a penalty of -0.57knots in speed!!!!!!!! That´s right!! I chose speed bonus and got a speed penalty instead!!!! It makes no sense!

I am fairly sure either 

A. you used a wood which gives a speed penalty

B you puts guns on it, and their weight its causing you to lose some speed

C a combination of A and B

Edited by 3rdguards

Pirates being able to capture ports when Pirates had no standing army?

Pirates making ships of the line when they had no shipyards capable of such a task.

Pirates sailing around in Ships of the line, because... well they are able to.

Unrate (6-7th rate) ships being rarer than bull sharks and sealed bottles.   When unrates ships should be the MOST common thing.  

This I can stand behind.

• Like 1

It makes no sense that the AI coding is still not good enough to keep your own AI ships from ramming you whether you sound a bell or try to maneuver away.

It makes no sense that we can't friend someone ingame from another faction unless they're an ally (used to be just in-faction), alts notwithstanding.  It's an MMOG.

It makes no sense that the sun comes up at 2 AM in-game.  It makes no sense that at 12 AM it is easier to see than at 11:50 PM.

It makes no sense that I can never knock out a cannon on the side of the ship I'm shooting at, only on the opposite side (apparently, anyway).

It makes no sense that an AI with reload shock can still immediately load as soon as the shock goes away and usually beat me to reloading even if I have full crew at the weaponry.

It makes no sense that I still suck at this game after all the hours I've played at it.  :huh:

• Like 4

It makes no sense that the AI coding is still not good enough to keep your own AI ships from ramming you whether you sound a bell or try to maneuver away.

It makes no sense that we can't friend someone ingame from another faction unless they're an ally (used to be just in-faction), alts notwithstanding.  It's an MMOG.

It makes no sense that the sun comes up at 2 AM in-game.  It makes no sense that at 12 AM it is easier to see than at 11:50 PM.

It makes no sense that I can never knock out a cannon on the side of the ship I'm shooting at, only on the opposite side (apparently, anyway).

It makes no sense that an AI with reload shock can still immediately load as soon as the shock goes away and usually beat me to reloading even if I have full crew at the weaponry.

It makes no sense that I still suck at this game after all the hours I've played at it.  :huh:

For hours of darkness, I agree completely!!!

For reloading, are you sure it's not that they are using lower weight (and therefore faster reload) guns?

needed a repost for the admins and devs to see....all these points are truth.

Also makes no sense still that a quick patch hasn't fixed the crew kill.

• Like 1

Why is it Ball does more damage to sails than Grape, when grape was originally a dismantling shot meant to destroy sails and rigging?

This, grape shot was not very effective for killing crew on a naval vessel during the age of sails, but was, in fact, used against rigging.  It was, however, used as anti personnel against close range targets on land.  I would be ok with grape becoming effective against sides of ships once the armor is stripped down to ~1/4 of its total side structure, but as it stands now, 1 broadside of grape against my barley scratched ship at close range is devastating to my crew.

Edited by Yar Matey
  • Like 1

• Teleporting.

The Teleport to capital option should be removed.

Teleporting between ports should incur a small gold charge as you 'book passage of a transport vessel'.

• Ship Teleporting from Battles Exploit

Yes it is fine to use this to send your prizes away, but at the moment it is exploited to send other ships across the map.

Would it not be better to send ships for a gold charge to a certain port similar to how Delivery Orders work in Free Ports? It could even involve a time delay from 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 15 minutes to 30 minutes + depending on the distance it is to be sent. The gold is for the skipper and crew to sail her etc..