Game-Labs Forum

Hotfix 9.95 - Social perk and other important changes

admin

Devs are going about it  all wrong if you want to make First rates rare and limited, put a cap on how many a Clan can actively own, take notes from EvE Online, the capitals used to be rare but people found a way to get around the resources and time needed also not enough would die off so they kept making them.

MAKE then LIMITED in clans, simple. Big clans, Little Clans all are balanced because they should be able to make say 5 with ease but wont be dominated by a larger clan since they only get 5 first rates each. Don't go down the Eve route of big clans rule everything.

1 Clan  then splits up in 5 clans wolah 25 firstrates in PB

All I can say for the patch today is, that there are no AI Traders around the EAST US Coast. only a few normal AI Gunship Groups, but no AI Trader.

It has been like that for several days. I' submitted an F11 on it and asked about the problem in the 'Ask a Dev' thread (no answer yet).

It is being discussed in our TS as well. When we travel to our far flung outposts we are seeing AI traffic, but the Eastern US seaboard is often barren.

The Steam NA forum also has a thread about AI scarcity in the Gulf. Maybee it is a north/south thing.

Devs are going about it  all wrong if you want to make First rates rare and limited, put a cap on how many a Clan can actively own, take notes from EvE Online, the capitals used to be rare but people found a way to get around the resources and time needed also not enough would die off so they kept making them.

MAKE then LIMITED in clans, simple. Big clans, Little Clans all are balanced because they should be able to make say 5 with ease but wont be dominated by a larger clan since they only get 5 first rates each. Don't go down the Eve route of big clans rule everything.

There's another way to limit SoL's, not based on clans at all.  Every player gets one.  Just one.  So yeah...a clan (or nation) could field a 25x 1st-rate  fleet...but would take time, commitment, coordination, and unity of purpose to do so.   The appearance of such a powerful fleet would reflect a true national high-priority effort.  And the presence of such fleet in a certain region would almost certainly preclude the presence of another such fleet anywhere else other than perhaps home national capital.

I would propose some sort of "In Commission" or "Battle-Ready" status, which a player would apply to a first-rate...and the player has only one such tag available.  Once applied, the tag cannot be removed, and the ship cannot be sold via inport ship market nor directly sold/traded to another player.  The tag only gets freed up when that designated ship is sunk/captured, broken up, or sold to NPC.  The "In Commission" tag would be a prerequisite to being able to load cannons and perm/regular upgrades.  Also...once "In Commission", a captured/fleet ship cannot be eligible for "Take Command" in battle-screen; the only way an "In-Commission" 1st-rate goes anywhere is to sail there (with possible exception of "Teleport-to-Capital").  So a player could have multiple 1st-rates in reserve as replacements...and can even move them about the map using the various current methods.  But at any given time, a player would have only one actually ready to fight, and would have to essentially sacrifice a 1st-rate in one location to teleport and quickly put a "reserve" 1st-rate in active status elsewhere.

This could be extrapolated to other SoL's.  Two 2nd-rate tags.  Perhaps three or four 3rd-rate tags.  

In such an environment, sure, a 25x 1st-rate fleet could still be fielded.  But would require significantly more effort, coordination, and risk to do so....reflecting a broad-consensus high national priority.  In practice, a much more typical SoL fleet composition would likely be a few 1st-rates, a few more 2nd-rates, and a majority of 3rd-rates.  These 2nd/3rd rates would once again find a useful role in the game other than OW screening cannon-fodder.   At least until players figure out some kind of exploit to get around this idea...as gamers are wont to do.

Hethwill, on 07 Sept 2016 - 9:10 PM, said:

Spotted pirate AI squadrons of privateers and lynxes deep inside dutch territory. Never noticed them before.

There were enough traders from all nations down there.

Hi Hethwill. Confirmed AI Pirate also on East Coast with a Pickle and Lynx in Fleet. This is the second time since I play NA that I saw that. However, I want my AI Traders back on the EAST Coast. :-)

• Like 1

I don't get it.

Devs want to limit ships of the line......in a "naval action" title.

Just my opinion, doesn't every player want to own SoL?

Is it just me, or isn't this the whole purpose of the game?

If you are going to restrict or make ships rare in game, I wish you luck.

I think all you will achieve with this is a "pissed off community" in both senses of the term.

Maybe there is a good reason for it, I'd love to know.

• Like 1

Jester, there's a variety of playstyles and objectives. All ships are really useful for different tasks and that include SOLs.

As much as one player likes to stand in a big battle of SOLs others might be as happy just sailing around transporting cargo and making good deals.

I didn't read about any restrictions (?) but more about a challenging crafting necessary to build them due to specific resrouces.

Maybe the dedicated traders playstyle players can have their niche and haul the necessary goods for those ships of the line ?

Another way to limit 1st rate use would be to make a build contract for them... everyone gets a contract to start, but if you lose your 1st rate there is a cool down period before you can be issued with a new contract to build another, be it a week, a month, 3 months a year... Your admiralty is pissed at you for losing a highly priced asset, you are going to have to wiat/prove yourself to get a replacement.

• Like 1

I can only speak for me, but i think the client starts way faster than usual.

After very first log on a day it still takes me nearly 1 Minute to get from port into Open World :(

After very first log on a day it still takes me nearly 1 Minute to get from port into Open World :(

True first time to OMW and battle take longer than a few months ago. I was just referring to the start if the client itself. usually took me around a good minute and i better not clicked anywhere or it sometimes just closed or faded to whitescreen. And my Rig really isnt that old.

Don't go down the Eve route of big clans rule everything.

Too late mate...

Seems to me the best way to curb the proliferation of 1st rates would be to give PBs 'rate slots', where they would only be able to accept a limited number of 1sts, 2nds and 3rds. Some ports would accept more bigger ships, some less. This could also be achieved with a maximum combined BR or by introducing a 'volume' rating for lineships. This will start to make more sense when they introduce land in port battles. How many 1st rates can you fit inside Port Morant before they can't move for lack of space ?  

• Like 2

I don't get it.

Devs want to limit ships of the line......in a "naval action" title.

Just my opinion, doesn't every player want to own SoL?

Is it just me, or isn't this the whole purpose of the game?

If you are going to restrict or make ships rare in game, I wish you luck.

I think all you will achieve with this is a "pissed off community" in both senses of the term.

Maybe there is a good reason for it, I'd love to know.

I dont want a sol .

• Like 4

Well in that case ill send you directions to my hide out and you can take your pick of lineships.

I was going to say it's not like we haven't just captured our picks of them.  Hell I have yet to have one made cause we just keep capturing them.  IF they are junk build we just break them up.

I maintain my position.

A career officer cannot be a Navy post at the same time he is a Armateur and a India Company CEO.

*shrugs*

Officer are our specialization choices. I think it bring a lot to the game. Wish to change career ? Dispense with the officer. Hire a new one.

• Like 4

I'm sorry. My post was written in haste without explanation. It is a response to those patch notes:

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/15862-patch-994-alliances-new-ships-new-features/

And that exact line:

We know that trading and combat should be done through separate officers and plan to add a non-combat officer as a second hire in the future.

I agree that we need another officer but in my opinion adding exclusive non combat officer is a mistake. We should be able to freely choose what build both of the officers should have.

Could both be achieved if the reset of officer meant that the officer in question started from scratch.. I.e. a lvl 10 officer gets reset and booted down to lvl 1 - making builds important choices but not definitive.

Edited by Guest