Game-Labs Forum

Patch 9.8 - Damage model 5.0, Server merges, Bird is a word (19th may)

admin

I would vote for 30mins TP cooldown. Now I can go to a port on the east coast of Florida, craft someting, port to Key West - give somebody a ship and then appear at Atwood to hunt someone, all in the space of maybe 2mins. It's convenient but maybe a little bit TOO trivial :)

Again - anyone who lacks the desire to use the fast travel mechanic is welcome not to use it.

Spoken as though your instant teleporting doesn't affect others in any way.

It affects your game little if I use it and you don't. It affects my game little if you use it and I don't.

How can you say it is any other way - examples please.

That's not a useful comment in a discussion about the merits of a gameplay feature.

Pot kettle black

If you don't like a feature in a game - don't use it. Trying to deny it to all the other players who DO use it is repressive and really not useful.

See, I have opinions too!

Nothing worse and killing the fun more than:

- sailing somewhere for 30-60 minutes.

- waiting for another hour for everybody to show up at the port

- attacking an undefeated port for 20 minutes and than log of

- repeat the next day awaiting a attack to defend the worthless port (with no attacker showing up)

That nets you 2-3 hours of virtually doing nothing each time. With the short timers you can get there 15 minutes before the attack and you might even get a fight. If you combine that with a slowed down port swapping mechanic, that might actually work.

• Like 3

Facepalm. No one is repressing anyone or anything - we are discussing the merits of a feature. If they gave us nuclear reactors for the ships and I said it's not an useful feature, you'd also say - so don't use it? :D

I would understand an answer like 'I like the game much more for it for such and such a reason', or 'it doesn't trivialize anything, because such and such', and that might be constructive. At the moment, though, I can scratch my head and wait for the imput of others :)

Nothing worse and killing the fun more than:

- sailing somewhere for 30-60 minutes.
- waiting for another hour for everybody to show up at the port
- attacking an undefeated port for 20 minutes and than log of
- repeat the next day awaiting a attack to defend the worthless port (with no attacker showing up)

That nets you 2-3 hours of virtually doing nothing each time. With the short timers you can get there 15 minutes before the attack and you might even get a fight. If you combine that with a slowed down port swapping mechanic, that might actually work.

Did you mean short or nonexistent timers? :)

It's not a matter of sailing time really. It's not a matter of realism. It's a matter of "how much action should you get out of a 6 hour playing session".

As it was before the patch, you sailed around for three hours, looking for fights, found absolutely nothing and then you used your teleport in an attempt to find something on the other side of the map, only to have then a conquest flag appear where you just left, and you couldn't get back in time.

Now you can teleport freely between your outposts, can join up with friends on a whim and look for PVP anywhere you have outposts. I've already had far more PVP this weekend because of that.

Realism doesn't apply in this debate, because most captains retired at old age without ever fighting an enemy warship during their career.

• Like 6

Realism doesn't apply in this debate, because most captains retired at old age without ever fighting an enemy warship during their career.

True.

However, it was weird to sink a pirate near La Tortue and then in 20mins sink him again next to Cabo. Even in Eve you have to warp from gate to gate. We probably definitely need the timers much much shorter - maybe 30 or even 15mins, but now jumping around the whole map feels a smidge too trivial.

I wanted to have a ship at La Tortue, so I jumped to Cabo, changed to the smuggler flag, ported to Pitts Town, went out as a trader and someone capped me to port a ship to Tortue, then bots of us ported to La Tortue and gave it to me. Very convenient, but a bit unsettling :)

Edited by Muminukas
  • Like 1

I would vote for 30mins TP cooldown. Now I can go to a port on the east coast of Florida, craft someting, port to Key West - give somebody a ship and then appear at Atwood to hunt someone, all in the space of maybe 2mins. It's convenient but maybe a little bit TOO trivial :)

In games like this, I like to imagine what the mechanics actually mean in the "reality" of the game. I think the instant outpost teleports as they stand now represents you taking control of different characters.

So in your scenario, you had some crafters on the east coast of Florida, some ship-traders at Key West, and a fighting captain at Atwood, and you as the player, the god-like controlling figure, were just hopping around giving them orders.

• Like 1

True.

However, it was weird to sink a pirate near La Tortue and then in 20mins sink him again next to Cabo. Even in Eve you have to warp from gate to gate. We probably definitely need the timers much much shorter - maybe 30 or even 15mins, but now jumping around the whole map feels a smidge too trivial.

I wanted to have a ship at La Tortue, so I jumped to Cabo, changed to the smuggler flag, ported to Pitts Town, went out as a trader and someone capped me to port a ship to Tortue, then bots of us ported to La Tortue and gave it to me. Very convenient, but a bit unsettling :)

Ah hah - so you DO use the instant Fast Travel. Perhaps if you use it just a bit less - it wouldn't be  so unsettling?

I just use it once or twice (eh perhaps three) a night to make sure I can get to fights.

I would like to speak four things:

1 - Sorry for the horrible English. I am Brazilian :D

2 - Congratulations to the Devs. Hear the opinion of the gaming community is critical to the development of the game.

3 - The new damage model really is too bad. However devs have pledged to fix it. It's just time to give devs to do it, right?

4 - About TP, I'm confused: my TP model affects other players? I understand that if the TP cooldown does not affect other players there is no reason for this discussion...

• Like 1

About clan warehouses, after a first test to see the fee I recreated today a mono-member clan and this time opened the warehouse.

Beautiful stuff, wish this was added before i spent so much money for warehouse extensions that are never enough, wonderful for crafting with the possibility to take out only the exact quantities of materials desired, no more having to make room and send stuff into ships cargos to have enough space to split things, and you can send 10k+ units of something without having a split after 10k units like in the classical warehouse, and also extremely nice for the upgrades taking precious slots in the classical warehouse.

Little remarks  :

- It is not possible to send Ships repair kits, as it's not possible to send canons, got loads of repair kits that were stored into a trader and usually selling canons to not take some space , just to buy them again a bit later, will be nice to have the possibility to send all this to the warehouse too.

- The stuff you send gets displayed in the order you send it to the clan warehouse, not in alphabetical order which will be very helpful for such thing.

Hope those will come in the future, thanks a lot.

• Like 1

Spent a bit of time yesterday in fleet battles which I really enjoyed, I love getting in close and hammering the enemy.

I think the new damage model has improved the battles no end, no more being shot at from every ship that happens to have a gun facing you.

The AI now picks closer enemy targets rather than super sniper from the other side of the map.

After maxing rank, a couple of us went off to test the new "smuggler flag" mechanic and resource hunting around the Gulf of Mexico (8 hours or so).

Brilliant being able to make port at all the other places on the map.

I now have the new challenge of making every port.

This game has so many fun elements and its still in alpha.

I agree with some of the posts people are making about teleporting, but this does help those who have a lot of ports with mines quite spread out.

I suppose an overall management system could be put in place to replace said mechanic. Something like a centralised port manager for shipping items from one port to another, with a slight time penalty? Lots of ways these small problems could be addressed without going over the top.

I am finding the teleport ( on PVE) just wonderful. You still have to transport cargo. Just today I was able to help out a clanmate by simply transporting to a port where I had a spare Trader Snow, sail it to them, and hand it across and still be able to transport anywhere I wished for commerce or whatever I liked. Wonderful :-)

Remember that the game is being developed for a larger population than what we have now.  We are in alpha.  Let's see how the patch works over a few weeks.  This is the developers way of testing and crafting the game in the direction they want to go with it..  Give it some time...

• Like 2

It's not a matter of sailing time really. It's not a matter of realism. It's a matter of "how much action should you get out of a 6 hour playing session".

As it was before the patch, you sailed around for three hours, looking for fights, found absolutely nothing and then you used your teleport in an attempt to find something on the other side of the map, only to have then a conquest flag appear where you just left, and you couldn't get back in time.

Now you can teleport freely between your outposts, can join up with friends on a whim and look for PVP anywhere you have outposts. I've already had far more PVP this weekend because of that.

I couldn't agree more.  Our clan had a group come over to PVP2 from the PVE server.  3 days of sailing to not be in time for a fight or not being able to get into a fight because it was full made 3 of the 5 either stop playing or go back to PVE, not sure which.  

I understand that NA is a niche game, but it would be a good thing if we keep the niche large enough to survive.  

I had hoped for more mature players in this game that don't need instant gratification. A sailing game is by nature slow. The devs went from promising no teleport to providing unlimited teleport. It has trivialized many aspects of the game.

With respect, another way of looking at it is that it has trivialized the most trivial part of the game, and enabled players to more rapidly get into the correct part of the map to find the "naval action" aspect of the game, per server population at the time of day they happen to be playing.

The OW transit time has proven, through testing, to not be a good gameplay feature, regardless of whatever the devs might have felt or said months / years ago.

• Like 1

Some players dont have hours to give to sail around..the ability to jump from port to port is a godsend to those casual players. if you dont like it then you can feel free to sail everywhere..

• Like 5

As I understand it, the negative critique of having no cooldown on TP boils down to different versions of "it's too easy for my opponent to marshal his/her forces to oppose me."

I don't really understand that complaint because, with the introduction of the smuggler mechanic, all factions have the facility to rapidly "send to outpost" ships to their national & free ports all around the map. And then TP to that outpost and perform whatever combat activities they had in mind... port battle, screen, recon in force, coastal defense, etc.

Insofar as everyone has the same access to these capabilities, to me it just seems that this mechanic encourages more PVP than less, and ideally with more people PVPing than less.

How is that bad? Until we have alliances and diplomacy in place, the steamroller nations are going to steamroll whether they have to sail to their destination or not. We have months of evidence demonstrating that fact.

Edited by Sansón Carrasco
  • Like 1

Maybe the teleport cooldown could be based on distance.

Teleporting on the other side of the map, and you have that 4h cooldown.  Teleporting to outpost right next to, you have 15min cooldown.

This way the world would still be big, because you cannot be every where at the same time.  But would make it easier for players to move in their near by outposts.

This way the world would still be big, because you cannot be every where at the same time.  But would make it easier for players to move in their near by outposts.

The world is big regardless of whether or not we can TP between the outposts we create. The question is, should we constantly be forced to deal with that fact? Does that make the gameplay better somehow?

I mean - by that line of reasoning, why allow the creation of outposts at all? Why not force everyone to sail, always, out of their national capital? Does that sound better? Then the world would feel very big indeed.

I think that those calling for the return of teleport cooldowns need to explain exactly what is being lost in a gameplay sense by their removal.

• Like 4

Teleporting between outposts is a good change imo. As someone said, that 4 hour voyage might seem fun for the first 2-3 times but then it gets kind of tedious (not that i give a damn since i do all my afk sailing while at work or while watching a movie :P), though one thing i would like to be changed with the unlimited teleports is that Freeports wouldn't house military vessels (seems retarded as hell when a flotilla of enemy ships instantly teleports to the heart of your territory and launches a full scale gank fest in your waters. Honestly i wouldnt care if it called itself free, or a sanctuary of crippled kitten town, if it harbored my enemy's i would lay siege to it). Also instead of instant ship teleporting via captures, could go with a delivery system or something similar.