Game-Labs Forum

To the Community

So sad... what happened to the helpful, respectful, fair community that started this game? One of the reasons I was impressed with this game was this forum. I started reading it even before I bought the game. Well I think that the fighting, and bickering and useless words are an inevitable passage in any community. My hope is that we will put aside our egos and start to be respectful first. Without respect for someone else ideas... there is no community at all.

• Like 4

I agree there is a level of toxicity that goes too far, but if we choose the marker that satisfies the most sensitive player, we will be playing Naval Hugs Online and able to communicate only with a small array of smiley faces.

From what I've seen, the NA community is slightly above average in terms of civility right now. My guild's style of PvP makes some people rage quite profusely but we almost never report them because....it's just words.

I usually only draw the line at blatant, profuse racism or very profuse spew of low-grade profanity. "Trash talk" (and occasional well-placed flavorful profanity) is just good fun for the whole family, though.

Edited by SteelSandwich
Image removed
  • Like 1

National news needs reform, to be sure.  Restrict it to news done in a historical manner, to bounty boards, to cartoons done in a historical manner, etc.

Ban all real life politics.  Only reference to politics can be historical references (US example:  Jeffersonians, federalists, republican democrats, etcs).  Ban all forum pvp.  Create semi-moderators that only moderate the national news forum, and only have moderator status in the national news forum and not in the game or the rest of the forums.

• Like 5

Slamz,

you have a right to your opinion, even though I disagree completely.

I, personally, do not want to be subjected to your vision of "family fun" - I demand a tool for blocking the trash talk you seem to enjoy in my free time, if I am to continue to provide alpha tester feedback on these forums here. I have enough mobbing going on at work, thank you.

Yet, we have no instrument to disable battle chat, or ignore toxic forum posts aimed at aggravating the community.

Moderator?

Yes, but those guys should work on "the game" (as they are small) and the ADMIN

is here to pick up good ideas and not to moderate...

Moderators are community people, they are not devs, and are volunteers not connected to Game labs.

Edited by SteelSandwich
Removed offtopic
  • Like 1

Nothing would satisfy me more than at least having an ignore button on the forum, if more strict moderation is too complicated to implement.

Exactly this.

I have a few people I dislike here too - and they gave me a good god-darned reasons to do so. And I just avoid them. Keep away. Because I know perfectly my dislike to them reached level where I most definitely don't want to risk spilling it over forums.

Edited by SteelSandwich
Removed offtopic
  • Like 3

I mentioned this today in in a differnt post but once im drug over to pvp1 where it seems 99% of this problem is in going to have 2 options.

1 close my chat box and not be a part of the faction im a part of and basically being playing a single player game with wierd AI.

2 quit the game.

Ill take 2 and i love this game already.

And the most funny thing about it all is because some people just cant stand how some people play pirates. I mean WTF ! If thats thr level of maturity on tjat server ill spend my time amd money elsewhere.

• Like 1

For future reactions i sternly advise people to stay on-topic AND polite

The intent of this topic is to work together towards a better community.

Ranting, trolling and general rude behavior is not condoned in any way or shape in this part of the forum.

Yessir!

For future reactions i sternly advise people to stay on-topic AND polite

The intent of this topic is to work together towards a better community.

Ranting, trolling and general rude behavior is not condoned in any way or shape in this part of the forum.

Well said

I think the start is getting all Major Guild Leaders signed upto this. Leaders should take responsability for their members and help by setting an example.

What we should do was mentioned before in this discussion.

1. Political News should only be used as an ingame or let's say "roleplay" base. I have no problem to read some propaganda or even ingame-nation point of views as long as they stay ingame.

2. Keep discussion sabout game mechanics or thought exploits out of the Political News because they are first mentioned at the wrong place and destroying every possiblity to re-health the community. Right now every - even good mentioned - posting about how much one faction liked the fighting of another one ends up in proclaiming, blaming and at the end crying at each other. At this point it's seems like the starting post has just been forgotten. This is sad. Really sad.

Second, the Suggestions should beantworten the suggestion-part not the ingame political one.

3. Try to be polite. In the end it would be helpfull to think about what the other side wants. And this is simple. Having fun, playing a naval officer, privateer or pirate in a setting of gentleman-war.

My favorite Meme about what I was thinking about when I decided to play a "gentlemen's-war-game" ist this one:

tumblr_n1jws4Aa8G1s1v324o1_500.jpg

Things would be easier. Yesterday is a good example. I was very angry after reading all the frustrating discussions in here, than went online, fighting the spaniards and french and hell yeah it was so much fun! Even today when I was chased and sunk together with a mate of my clan I had fun! The forum - the Political News-section for sure - should be helpfull to plus the funpart not to lower it. And to come to a point, if this discussion is about trying to grow together as an community and watch out for a better behavior, understanding for the other factions and a new beginning and ending of old anger-parts of all factions - count me in.

Edit, because of Kutai's last post. I'm just an diplomat of my clan no clan-leader. But if it helps I will inform my admirality and I will do my duty as an diplomat to report everything bothering someone about us to my clan-leaders.

Edited by Jonathan Arlington
  • Like 2

It is interesting to see how few Guild leaders are actually willing to step up and take responsability for their guild members behaviour.

It is down to us as community leaders to make positive steps to improving the community. I at least expected some of the other larger guilds to step forwards here and at least join the discussion.

• Like 1

There is no reason why we can not remain civil in this game. Win or lose. Some of my best times were fighting SLRN in Jereme where we both enjoyed the battles and anyone who shit talked from either side was promptly dealt with by their own side.

I can say my freind, as those battles where very competitive, it was done in the highest respect.

This is the Culture SLRN has Built over years, close to a decade.

SLRN had a split recently to release an equally competive group but with a rebellious spirit of not conforming to a greater CAUSE, the Develpoment of the game and respect in Chat and TS.

You have brought up the biggest problem that I have tried to illuminate to the Devs and Mods in PM, BUT WITHOUT ANY LUCK.

BANNING people from the forums and from the game for a week or Two would of seen a different outcome.

PS Thank you for acknowledging that SLRN guys are competitive but fair.

For we have the same respect towards you.

Edited by Henry d'Esterre Darby
  • Like 1

Thank you to the OP for posting this much-needed thread.

We are all human beings playing what should be a fun game with each other. We all need our in-game enemies/rivals to play against. Without each other there would be no game so let us be grateful for the other factions.

I would like to see topics being moderated more proactively and shut sooner when they begin to cross the line.

But the OP is right. The ultimate power tests with us, the players. Clans wield a huge influence in this game and I urge all clan leaders to work together in ensuring that this game becomes a friendly place again; both in game and on the forums.

If this does not take place, I truly fear for the future and survival of this wonderful game.

• Like 2

It is interesting to see how few Guild leaders are actually willing to step up and take responsability for their guild members behaviour.

It is down to us as community leaders to make positive steps to improving the community. I at least expected some of the other larger guilds to step forwards here and at least join the discussion.

I'll pass it on to the actual Guild Leaders I know to see if they will rally to the cause to fight against the Negative, Trolling and Exploiting Elements that have INFECTED the NA community.

As you are aware a Great "CODE OF CONDUCT" is CoSigned by SLRN

AUSL

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/4431-naval-action-player-code-of-conduct-submitted-by-the-ausl/?p=85717

I'll pass it on to the actual Guild Leaders I know to see if they will rally to the cause to fight against the Negative, Trolling and Exploiting Elements that have INFECTED the NA community.

As you are aware a Great "CODE OF CONDUCT" is CoSigned by SLRN

AUSL

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/4431-naval-action-player-code-of-conduct-submitted-by-the-ausl/?p=85717

The issue with that Code of Conduct is that it is old. It is signed by very few guilds and I am not sure if they are all still even present in game.

The thing is, its very easy to just sign something like that and put your name to it. Its much harder to actually comply with it and do something about the issue.

Personally, I would not mind hosting a meeting between us all where we can just sit down, discuss, move on.