Game-Labs Forum

Why are some players threatening to quit if their is a wipe?

Wipes will only be done if new systems are profoundly better than old ones.

If new systems are better people will come back to try them again, even if people oppose resets

If new systems are a lot worse - then there is no point of doing them - no point to reset anything

New alliances/war and peace mechanics will force reset of ports - that will definitely happen. 

• Like 5

That's true in theory, but in my opinion there is a difference between this game one and other alphas I've been part of: in NA gaining some things take an awful amount of time (an a nice dose of luck) and some people, while liking the game, probably are not disposed to put in it once more (or twiice more) the same amount of time they put it before.

Yeah, mainly I don't have the time right now to go through the same boring and lengthy grind. If there was a wipe right now I would have to wait till summer to get through the grind again. Its not a threat or anything, I just cant dedicate myself to the game with so many other things to do right now.

Why is everyone speculating abought upcomming wipes?

The Devs already told us, there will be no XP Whipe. Actually there is NO crafting wipe planned. If crafting is reworked completet, then there may be a wipe...

So all: "calm down"

Edited by karotte

I think that's the fear that a lot of people have; that a wipe would mean they have to repeat months of gameplay to get back to where they were. I'm hopeful enough to assume that wouldn't be the case, and starting from scratch and building up again would be a whole new experience, with very different mechanics to discover and enjoy. Getting back to my crafting level would be a chore if the mechanics are unchanged, but a new and interesting challenge if the mechanics are different.

If new systems are better people will come back to try them again, even if people oppose resets

If new systems are a lot worse - then there is no point of doing them - no point to reset anything.

Ok, thanks a lot for the clarification.

I have just two doubts:

1) how can you tell in advance if new systems are better than the old ones before having them tested by the players (ore maybe are you implyng that the wipe will eventually occour some time after a "deep" change has been implemented)?

2) in case you will decide a wipe is necessary, are you planning to announce the wipe (stating clearly what will be wiped and what will not) with a reasonable advance, in order to let peoople "adapt" before the wipe rather than "react" after?

Edited by victor

Wipe or no wipe. Ive had nothing but fun since EA. Ive never noticed a grind because i dont view games the way some people do, i see them as games, so i can just keeo doing what im doing even if its in a little smaller ship with less upgrades.

Bottom line is i want a solid open world sandbox no holds bar great game so the devs can do whatever they want to ensure it.

• Like 1

This game takes simply too much time to level up and I am thrilled that the devs are keeping the XP's.  Look folks, this isn't Battlefield 3 where you can spend 100 hours of gameplay to get up to colonel.  No, it literally takes hundreds of hours to get to that 3rd rate.  NA is a true time soaker where hours of traveling takes the place of arena combat.  You simply cannot expect people to repeatedly grind to get back where they were before....over and over.  I know personally that if they were going to wipe the XP, I am done until the final product comes out and I would expect the same from a lot of other people who invested a ton of time in the game.  Remember that most of the people that would be interested in this game are already playing it!  You chase them away and you will get a vacant server when the game releases.  That is reality.

-Ski

@Admin

I'm curious, is the ship / asset wipe a certainty or simply a possibility?

I think ships and all assets should be wiped. I think it will be a good move before new system gets in place or before game release. It won't hurt too much, xp and craft will be stored. All you have to do is set up Econ and start building ships and you good to go again. I don't see any harm in wiping ships, outposts and craft recipes. 

• Like 1

Newsflash: This game will never have a full release, the alpha is the full release. They may have a server wipe, discounted promotion to try to grab new players but you won't have an official release.

I

Listen to this guy. :D

Reset everything-XP included and change the way you gain levels. Make it more like Eve and make it time based.

This would get rid of the grind and keep everyone within ranges and even. Then make another port tier level such as regions which only allow 3rd rates and above to take them, and you will fix the game. Make deep ports disallowing 3rds and higher and now we are talking...

• Like 1

Newsflash: This game will never have a full release, the alpha is the full release. They may have a server wipe, discounted promotion to try to grab new players but you won't have an official release.

I

Your signature has a clan tag forbidden by my decision

Edit it immediately

Also the way you talk might cause problems for you and your guild on this forums. This is a dev forum - perhaps you should move out to NA 4chan or something - no moderation happens there. 

• Like 1

Reset everything-XP included and change the way you gain levels. Make it more like Eve and make it time based.

This would get rid of the grind and keep everyone within ranges and even. Then make another port tier level such as regions which only allow 3rd rates and above to take them, and you will fix the game. Make deep ports disallowing 3rds and higher and now we are talking...

I like it.

If new systems are a lot worse - then there is no point of doing them - no point to reset anything

New alliances/war and peace mechanics will force reset of ports - that will definitely happen. 

I guess what happens to your stuff in those ports will be one issue for some people, if it is lost then that would be annoying, I'd rather leave it there and force people to recapture them.

• Like 1

I don't grind and I'm sure there are many players that play the same way.

I will be sad the day that I lose all the booty & ships but I will certainly not leave, or threaten to do so, in fact just the opposite, that is when we can get serious about our careers on the Caribbean Sea(s) !

The only grinding that will result from a wipe is the search for materials and/or money to build.

A wipe will most certainly be good for the game, in fact the only real problem is at what point in development it will occur, too early and the cleanup will not be efficient, so the timing needs to be when exact development is set, assets can then be added at a later date.

But that's only me !

• Like 1

I don't grind and I'm sure there are many players that play the same way.

I will be sad the day that I lose all the booty & ships but I will certainly not leave, or threaten to do so, in fact just the opposite, that is when we can get serious about our careers on the Caribbean Sea(s) !

The only grinding that will result from a wipe is the search for materials and/or money to build.

A wipe will most certainly be good for the game, in fact the only real problem is at what point in development it will occur, too early and the cleanup will not be efficient, so the timing needs to be when exact development is set, assets can then be added at a later date.

But that's only me !

Been playing since EA started with some friends. Never grinded one day yet and i have more than i can ever need.

• Like 2

I think ships and all assets should be wiped. I think it will be a good move before new system gets in place or before game release. It won't hurt too much, xp and craft will be stored. All you have to do is set up Econ and start building ships and you good to go again. I don't see any harm in wiping ships, outposts and craft recipes. 

You are clearly not imuch involved in crafting: materials, gold, outpost, building and also gold are not that problem ... but wiping BP would be a punch in the stomach of every crafter in the game.

Edited by victor