Game-Labs Forum

Clans/people not following the pvp1 zerg rush

Mrdoomed

The thing that kills the game for me is the fact that i spent literally hundreds of hours last month collecting resources for when the NPC created resources finally went away completely, (something on the order of 280+ hours) This is some of the most boring, monotonous game play you can imagine trying to do. So why do it? the goal was to have  well over 10k of every resource so that way i wouldn't have to worry about the production shortfalls that are still going to come.Simply put, it was a short term loss over a long term gain. With the server merge happening Those of us who planned accordingly are in no small way F#<ked out of that time spent. Not only that but now there is absolutely no way to make up that volume of dwindling resources. I have amassed tens of thousands of resources in ports in preparation for the paradigm shift from NPC created resources to 100% player based ones

BUT

I have a solution. The server has to know exactly what your total assets are every time you logt into the server ( obviously) so why not turn that data to a redeemable , one time use ( with unique ID) token that can be redeemed like a redeemable ship? this would  work for all assets currently held by the player on the different server. This both validates the time and effort people have made in the game and will help stop the people that are already heading for the door. Also this mechanic wouldn't have any problems with players who are moving to different factions on pvp1 such as myself who was USA on pvp2 but am now pirate on pvp1.

In addition to those issues being solved for, this same mechanic can be used in the future of the game and instead of having the map be stale and static, You could have seasons much like there was on POTBS. This overall mechanic can be used at the end of each season in preparation of the map being reset and going again. Yes your position is reset but you aren't left with the feeling that there is no progression for you individually, Which is starting to drive people away from this game and not toward it.

My plan would enable the devs to make changes and resets to the map as they need but also keeps the player base from feeling like, given the facts at the time that they didn't just blow a month of not leveling for nothing. especially in light of the fact that these same resources cannot ever be obtained in this manner again. There are enough aspects of the game that are making it an ever easier choice for them to leave, do the devs really want to add to the list?

Edited by cheatos503
  • Like 2

no, there will be an asset wipe and a map wipe, this is an alpha, you bought it as an alpha, they have been very clear about what you will keep. Stop begging for more, you wont get it. If you didn't want to lose the work them perhaps you should not have invested the time in the game until it was released

no, there will be an asset wipe and a map wipe, this is an alpha, you bought it as an alpha, they have been very clear about what you will keep. Stop begging for more, you wont get it. If you didn't want to lose the work them perhaps you should not have invested the time in the game until it was released

not begging for more, if you think that's what im doing then English comprehension must not be your thing, try a different forum

not begging for more, if you think that's what im doing then English comprehension must not be your thing, try a different forum

Sound like that is what you are doing to me. English is my first language.

You are testing the game and your reward for doing so is you get to keep your exp. You are lucky you get to keep that. Most MMO's would wipe you altogether and make you start over. Apparently you have played many Alpha's or Beta's.

He's not asking for a redeemable ship.  He is asking if it would be possible to combine all your assets on one server into a redeemable package to transfer to another server.  Essentially a way to merge servers.  There is nothing about asking for free stuff in there, just the stuff one already has.

• Like 1

He's not asking for a redeemable ship.  He is asking if it would be possible to combine all your assets on one server into a redeemable package to transfer to another server.  Essentially a way to merge servers.  There is nothing about asking for free stuff in there, just the stuff one already has.

In a way, yes...but his post shows that he spent a lot of time gaining resources to use in the assumption he won't lose it...but the game is in alpha and the Devs have assured us there will be a port/asset wipe in the future. I think it's fair to ask to keep you assets normally, but a server merge almost definitely (or should) will have an asset wipe of some kind.

@ All - You diehard's "not coming".  When/If you change your mind.  WTB 6-8 addicts during peak US times for the night side of KOTO, we play insanely hard but short a few core players; must be mature, easy going, able to learn, on TS, and addicted to Port Battling/pvping ever night 2400-0600 window.

PM me in game or Via kami.kazhkaz.net (PVP EU1 / Community TS)

The rest of you diehard's.  Good luck gents! 07

• Like 1

Sound like that is what you are doing to me. English is my first language.

You are testing the game and your reward for doing so is you get to keep your exp. You are lucky you get to keep that. Most MMO's would wipe you altogether and make you start over. Apparently you have played many Alpha's or Beta's.

except AO, MWO, DCUO, EVE. And my point much like the one that seems to be on the top of your head is this: By having a system like the one i described then the game wouldnt be a matter of continually starting over, that is driving people away, and not to the game. Its frightening how you miss that issue and my solution for it altogether. As it stands there is absolutely no reason to play the game if you are max lvl.

So, for you people that seem to be well....slow, I'll try again

MECHANIC OUTLINE AND FUNCTION:

lets say there is going to be a server merge, call the servers to be merged A and B

Target server is C

The players on both A and B have amassed all of their assets there. And the current mechanics allow for faction jumping at the time of server merge (which they do) so to preserve their assets, the current servers tally up all resources and cash (treated as a resource) and boats.

Tokens would be generated for each resource type :

an example of this would be: PLAYER X has coal in 4 ports totaling 7500, so that would generate a token for the resource which would be redeemable by the player when that player sets up on any faction at any spot on the new map on server C. Now in order to not abuse the system in any forseeable long term way Have the tokens be on a timer and not usable post say 2 weeks after the creation of server C. That way if there were to be seasons for the map where the map would be reset on a fairly consistent basis there couldn't be a carry over from the previous season.

Ships, because of the current restriction of ships capable of being in a port would use the same mechanic that was employed by the yacht and Niagara.

All of the "tokens" should be account specific so that way there is no chance of having a possible ownership exploit occur, this was handled pretty well with the redeemable ships before it just a matter of expanding that system's size and scope

As for the ports and such, I believe those should not come over to the new server so there is a few quality of life things you still would have to work for, or at least pay to have

Its one thing to keep your lvls and craft exp. But its quite another to be able to support either one of them. That is where the disconnect comes in with the progression of the game. because eventually we will all be max rank in both. Fighting for the map seems to be where the devs have decided where the actual game is to center around. And given that there will be no more NPC resources, the idea of starting from scratch with nothing but a cutter and zero money, no ability to buy resources from any port means we will be in those cutters alot longer then just jumping from PVP 2 to PVP1 where everybody is already established. Comparing the relative ease of the current situation to a full nuking of player assets across the board is not appealing to alot of players. And if that is the case then there is absolutely no reason at all to play the game if you have max rank in either crafting or lvl until the server merge/nuke/wipe happens.

My idea would keep people playing because everything they are working for would not be a futile gesture. This in turn keeps the tinfoil hat crowd from saying the game is dying and don't bother buying it. Because without a player base no MMO, in any stage of development can survive without players. Which if I were a dev, I would be trying to have not happen.

So my simple little forum trolls, its not just a matter of me wanting to keep the things i worked for, its a matter of keeping the population from saying "eff that im tired of starting over ....again" Which btw i already have, more than once

Edited by cheatos503
  • Like 1

The thing that kills the game for me is the fact that i spent literally hundreds of hours last month collecting resources for when the NPC created resources finally went away completely, (something on the order of 280+ hours) This is some of the most boring, monotonous game play you can imagine trying to do. So why do it? the goal was to have  well over 10k of every resource so that way i wouldn't have to worry about the production shortfalls that are still going to come.Simply put, it was a short term loss over a long term gain. With the server merge happening Those of us who planned accordingly are in no small way F#<ked out of that time spent. Not only that but now there is absolutely no way to make up that volume of dwindling resources. I have amassed tens of thousands of resources in ports in preparation for the paradigm shift from NPC created resources to 100% player based ones

BUT

I have a solution. The server has to know exactly what your total assets are every time you logt into the server ( obviously) so why not turn that data to a redeemable , one time use ( with unique ID) token that can be redeemed like a redeemable ship? this would  work for all assets currently held by the player on the different server. This both validates the time and effort people have made in the game and will help stop the people that are already heading for the door. Also this mechanic wouldn't have any problems with players who are moving to different factions on pvp1 such as myself who was USA on pvp2 but am now pirate on pvp1.

In addition to those issues being solved for, this same mechanic can be used in the future of the game and instead of having the map be stale and static, You could have seasons much like there was on POTBS. This overall mechanic can be used at the end of each season in preparation of the map being reset and going again. Yes your position is reset but you aren't left with the feeling that there is no progression for you individually, Which is starting to drive people away from this game and not toward it.

My plan would enable the devs to make changes and resets to the map as they need but also keeps the player base from feeling like, given the facts at the time that they didn't just blow a month of not leveling for nothing. especially in light of the fact that these same resources cannot ever be obtained in this manner again. There are enough aspects of the game that are making it an ever easier choice for them to leave, do the devs really want to add to the list?

Cheatos, your expectation of the future of production and the economy was totally wrong.  Why should you be rewarded for that?  

If there are 0 penalties for swapping servers ir faction and there was a gold and xp bonus for playing on the low population server then try hards ( just like now) would just swap between servers all day to which ever gave them the most xp till they reached max level then they would pick a server to stay on.

In my experience every game that gave a welfare bonus just created new problems. The best solution is your first idea. Penalty for swaping.

I'm a big believer in coming up with your own better idea if you don't like someone else's.

Penalizing players for switching servers now after the damage is done would just ensure that the huge imbalance caused by the server migration would remain.

Nothing would change.

So Mrdoomed ........if you don't like my idea of a bonus for PVP 2.........what would you suggest could reverse the server migration ?

Besides wishes and luck.

Edited by Bert Beard

I'm a big believer in coming up with your own better idea if you don't like someone else's.

Penalizing players for switching servers now after the damage is done would just ensure that the huge imbalance caused by the server migration would remain.

Nothing would change.

So Mrdoomed ........if you don't like my idea of a bonus for PVP 2.........what would you suggest could reverse the server migration ?

Besides wishes and luck.

How would giving only PVP2 any kind of bonus still not cause imbalance?

...  As it stands there is absolutely no reason to play the game if you are max lvl. ...

Except maybe the whole point of a game, that you have fun playing it.

You know, driving boats, shooting cannons a people, screaming in rage as your boat sinks...

That sort of thing.

Frankly spending Dev time on a single use convenience feature to like this is a huge waste of a far more valuable resource than saving those players is probably worth.

Hell, Admin even said recently the entire MMO and economy thing was/is a "test", and they may just toss the idea altogether before release if its not working.

Hardly a promise to let you keep stuff.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

Except maybe the whole point of a game, that you have fun playing it.

You know, driving boats, shooting cannons a people, screaming in rage as your boat sinks...

That sort of thing.

Frankly spending Dev time on a single use convenience feature to like this is a huge waste of a far more valuable resource than saving those players is probably worth.

Hell, Admin even said recently the entire MMO and economy thing was/is a "test", and they may just toss the idea altogether before release if its not working.

Hardly a promise to let you keep stuff.

Dumping the crafting and econ was a passing comment from one of the moderators to end a silly argument.

If they actually did that you would see a big drop in player numbers........much like PotBS.

The dev's won't commit Naval Action suicide. 

How would giving only PVP2 any kind of bonus still not cause imbalance?

What kind of imbalance are we talking talking about.

The kind where players move back from PVP server 1 to PVP 2.......yea, we can never have that can we.

Maybe you think players will make their money on PVP 2 and then somehow use it to help them on PVP 1 ?

So, anyone have a better idea that will help reverse the server imbalance..........be specific please.

Remember.......a server merge is not a sure thing.

Maybe even a developer or moderator could help out ?

Edited by Bert Beard

Admin said on page two of this thread.

"Merging and transfer will happen after War & peace/rvr/port battles changes are approved by players and coded."

That sounds pretty "sure thing" to me, and any thoughts to the contrary seem to me to be wishful thinking.

Note: I have a dog in this fight, with all my assets on PvP2 the server threatened with extinction.  I'm not going to ask the devs to spend(waste) their time saving my stuff. If they can do a simple copy of assets (regardless of port), or even just save the stuff in the Capital, which is the approach I would take as its the one sure port to remain in your nation, then that is just a super bonus to me.

Since they mentioned window is 1-2 months I am going to burn as many assets and time into XP as I can under the assumption the only thing moving over is XP.  It's the only prudent thing to do to make the most out of the time I spent setting up my supplies.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken
  • Like 1

By all means an asset wipe - but please, please let me keep my XP. I'm really not sure that I could face another grind

XP will stay to the player apparently, but all the rest -money, ressource, material, captured port, blueprint- all of that will be put back to the start.

What kind of imbalance are we talking talking about.

The kind where players move back from PVP server 1 to PVP 2.......yea, we can never have that can we.

Maybe you think players will make their money on PVP 2 and then somehow use it to help them on PVP 1 ?

So, anyone have a better idea that will help reverse the server imbalance..........be specific please.

No, players will just move back and forth to whichever server has the bonus until they get tired of it and leave the game.

I really don't care which server has the most population as long as they have a sustainable one. Clearly PVP2 does not really have one at this time, and hard to say if they will before official launch.

You really need to stop treating this like its a contest between servers.

• Like 1

Nothing would change.

Besides wishes and luck.

I wasnt trying to insult your idea and sorry if it came off that way. The idea of a bonus is good in theory but in practice it will only encourage even more server swaps back and forth to whatever one is giving the bonus.

There realy isnt a way to stop it short of locking servers ( bad idea) unless we get people to stop comming on the forums and promising free ships and gold to swap servers. There are lots of posts of people offering everything you need to start over and now ive even seem them in chat a few times asking clans to swap for free stuff.

People will be people and nothing will stop try hards or inexperienced mmo players from taking the easy path.

My idea is like old school server swaps , you have to petition the admins with a good reason and they decide OR better yet a pen2for swaping servers or nations. Naybe 25% xp penalties the first time then it goes up by 10% each swap.

But like i said the best way to grow pvp2 is gor people to stop having kneejerk reactions or going to the promise of free stuff. The population has been over 300 the last to days i played so just stop the poaching and it will grow with new players.