Game-Labs Forum

SS as a clan tag?

Except that clan isn't making thinly veiled Secret Service references

I am seeing a lot of fingers pointing but no evidence to back these claims up. If you used F11 like you should when you see something against the rules in global or any other chat in-game these people you claim are racist and make poor jokes would have been banned by now.

Edited by Lord Roberts

That flag is/was used by them. Didnt say that everything?

Source was posted in that topic but is now hidden:

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/11616-stars-stars-and-stripes-are-recruiting-pvp-1-eu-usa-nation/

Once again lots of places use the SS.. not just the Nazi's, like how the Swastika is still used today as it means something completely different than the Nazi one..

They were also not banned for using that SS on their profile, I still do not see evidence of their apparent racism.

Edited by Lord Roberts

I must admit this whole trend about being politically correct is pissing me off to no avail.

Just like when the ISIS organisation in the archer's TV serie had to be removed despite being there way before some terrorist use it.

Most of you guys make it seem that they are displaying racist behaviors in the chat on a daily basis. Is it that hard to snatch a screenshot of this said behavior so we actually have some material to debate here ?

The flag was identified as Scout Sniper AND it in no way proves racism in chat.

There is a great webcomic written by a former Marine Infantryman called "Terminal Lance" who usually has a really good perspective on this sort of thing. Of course he had one on this topic.

http://terminallance.com/2012/02/10/terminal-lance-insspiration/

I always encourage people to read the blurb at the bottom that Uriate writes to give context to the whole thing.

Scout Snipers are not Nazi’s.

If you don’t know what this strip is about, you probably haven’t read or seen the news all over the place that people are freaking out about a photo of a Scout Sniper platoon that features an “SS” flag akin to that of the Nazi SS.

You can read about the story here.

Honestly, I don’t think the Marines intended the flag to have any Nazi affiliation, I think they just thought it was a really cool way to write “SS” on a flag. I’m Jewish, and while I understand why people are upset about it, I don’t think they meant any harm.

It’s not often you’ll see anyone start a sentence with, “One thing that was pretty cool about Nazis,” but I’d like to be the first you’ve read today to say: One thing that was pretty cool about Nazis was their fashion. No one can dispute the absolute horror and disgusting reality of the Nazi party, but black leather, lightning bolts and skulls are pretty badass, and have actually inspired some modern fashion trends.

With that said, there’s really only so much you can say to defend the choice to use a Nazi logo on a flag underneath the American Colors. Of course it’s wrong. Of course it’s stupid. They should have known better, yadda yadda; we’ve all heard it before (and especially recently). But really, everyone knows stuff like this goes on every day, it only matters when the media catches hold of it and blows it up. I doubt half of the people in Scout Snipers even knew it was a Nazi logo, and I’m pretty sure it’s been used by numerous Scout Sniper units in the past. On that note, however, there’s some things you should just avoid: and anything inspired by Nazis is probably a good place to start.

In any case, I’m sure Public Affairs has been having a blast lately.

• Like 1

No, it doesn't. The flag was identified as Scout Sniper AND it in no way proves racism in chat.

The Scout / Sniper unit that used the SS runes on its flag got in deep shit with their command for intentionally or unintentionally associating their unit with the German SS. Not surprisingly, whether they intended to do so or not did not matter when the reprimand came down.

And if someone is so ignorant as to believe that is the origin of the symbol used in a military context, that alone enough should be sufficient grounds for removing from the community.

Just don't use Clan tags like SS or KKK, will ya? Is it really so hard to just avoid the trouble and discomfort this is stirring up? So yes, even if there would be evidence that they are not at all connected to Nazis or their ideology, I still think that clan tags like this should be banned. For the sole reason of having peace in the game.

• Like 1

Yes, Scout Snipers were told to cut that shit out. Yes, the S&S were told so too, and did so. So how is that evidence of anything?

"They used ScoutSnipers flag in the past and changed it when asked!". Oh, the horror. Indeed, this is 100% proof of racism.

Get a grip, people! :/

The adoration for nazi symbols and legacy is strong among the militants all over the world and it went so far that even US Army allows using their symbols officialy. This has nothing to do with anything how the symbols are cool or not, this is all about historical empathy and ignorance. 

In my country there were some soldiers removed from service only because they were photographed with the banner of scout snipers.

The tag is generally interpreted and connected to one thing and one thing only no matter where you go and ask.

There are more intelligent ways to setup a tag regarding Secretive Selected few ( or whatever your clan is named for ) than this travestry. Thanks for being amongst the less gifted with intelligence...

No rhethoric will ever change the fact that the tag should ever be allowed anywhere anytime.

I'm not engaged in such organization, but what I can say it's that their name is just a bad taste name.

But that's my personal opinion and I wouldn't scream and open threads (because I do not like that name) in order to compel the devs to censure them. That's how the thing works in real life: scream and moan againsts anyone to forbid anything that you do not like even only to hear.

So - frankly speaking - if I see a big problem here, it is not the silly name of an org, but how this forum is becoming more and more affected by the moans of a small minority of political correctness holy inquisition whiteknights.

Next time I see - to take some examples - a communist dictator nickname in game (I already saw a coulpe of Lenins around and expect there is some Stalin and Mao hidden somewhere) or if I see some Mussolini around should I report them to the devs or to the court of human rights? No: If they like to bear the name of such awful persons, well ... they will be judged by other players for what they want to appear. But that's it. This is the real freedom of thought and speech, not crying for anything that it hurts me!

Please guys, after all this is a game. And one plays games to evade reality not to reproduce any paranoia of real life.

Edited by victor

There are lots of things in the world that have SS as it's abbreviation, just because they have it does not mean it has anything to do with Nazi Germany, really silly that you would get soo offended by such a thing...

Politically Correctness has gone too far.. can't even have SS on anything now..

If they are such a racist clan as you claim it to be, provide evidence instead of calling them out without backing it all up.

Super ships clan...

I am personaly not offended with the SS clan tag, but many people are. 

I just think the tag was brought into game intentionally to provoke the others with something "nazicool". This thread is proof that this clantag brought an ill blood into the community and IMO it was the purpose of using these letters as a clan tag. And btw. using abusive or other sensitive words as nicknames/clan names is banned by the EULA.

• Like 5

As is the case with all inappropriate clan tags, the way to go forward is reporting it ingame via F11-bug report.

-NOTE: use the bug name description: "Clan Tag abuse"

This will be reviewed by the devs and will be acted on accordingly.

So, the clarify that for future cases:

It has now been added to the list of 'How to tribunal'

9) Inappropriate clan names/clan tags   -  F11-bug report (use the name: "Clan Tag abuse")

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/11727-the-updated-how-to-tribunal/

Locked as result.

• Like 2