Game-Labs Forum

Boarding fitted privateers/officers

admin

Well there is supposed to be a voting to change my name to 'Pietje the Privateer' because of my 'Funny' traders snow.

PS I am willing to give people a little course 'how to catch a trader with a trader'

Just basic and PvP capturing would be nice too. Especially in setups and the like!

Rage boarders! It's about time they finally operate on OS. That's how I hunt Traders btw :D Using Basic of Fine Marines doesn't hurt that much. Exceptional Marines are now garbage. Hammocks help out as well.

I disagree.

Boarding will start in 15 seconds.

15 seconds later. "Battle over, press escape to leave"

Even better when combined with extra muskets and pistols.

• Like 1

Exceptional Marines are now garbage.

Don't knock it until you try it. I have a clanmate running with exceptional marines on a SoL. He still has enough crew to man his sails and one full broadside. I pity the fool that tries to board him or catches himself in irons. Though I think the point of Admin's post is slightly different from making a SoL a floating infantry barracks.

Well, I am infamous in DAS with my Traders Snow for hunting down traders and some people make jokes out of it, the Bastards. And i know if people try to board me i have an unpleasant surprise for them. Unfortunially i can't attack because of the same Nation.

I do this as well! Works like a charm :)

I have full boarding Surprise, problem is i cant get the enemy slow enough in upwind to board. But i have sunk quite fast, thats even more fun thank winning. ;D

I think boarding should be possible if you speed matches the ship besides you, at least you should be able to pull them whit ropes and then slow them down whit your ship.

Edited by James Thomson

I have full boarding Surprise, problem is i cant get the enemy slow enough in upwind to board. But i have sunk quite fast, thats even more fun thank winning. ;D

I think boarding should be possible if you speed matches the ship besides you, at least you should be able to pull them whit ropes and then slow them down whit your ship.

it is possible but it is sometimes hard but after a while you can get the hang of it but you need also use manual sailing

I used to think this was a bit of a cheesy tactic.

However, I recently watched a program covering the period of the Anglo-Dutch wars, and apparently the primary tactic of the dutch navy (in the early years) was indeed to close rapidly with the enemy and then overwhelm him by boarding.

This tactic changed as the British brough bigger and better organised 'Lines' to bear, where the sheer firepower would overwhelm the dutch ships before they could get close enough.

I therefor think its a pretty valid tactic on the whole, though the 'Ramming straight into the enemy to stop him' still seems quite wrong to me.

I used to think this was a bit of a cheesy tactic.

However, I recently watched a program covering the period of the Anglo-Dutch wars, and apparently the primary tactic of the dutch navy (in the early years) was indeed to close rapidly with the enemy and then overwhelm him by boarding.

This tactic changed as the British brough bigger and better organised 'Lines' to bear, where the sheer firepower would overwhelm the dutch ships before they could get close enough.

I therefor think its a pretty valid tactic on the whole, though the 'Ramming straight into the enemy to stop him' still seems quite wrong to me.

Did you know what Nelson did at the battle of Trafalgar just that

Captains should be advised that there are several highly skilled privateers sailing in the open seas.

uZfGJ1J.jpg

Privateers usually operate solo in a fast ship equipped only with chasers or sometimes no guns at all for better speed. They hire up to 50% of their crew as marines and also upgrade their ships with other boarding improvements. It is hard to execute boarding with 50% of your crew not participating in sailing and gunnery, but if that said privateer boards you it will usually lead to devastating results. Your crew won't be able to defend properly. Counter-attacking them is also risky even if you have a higher crew because of the barricaded decks. There are cases when such captains are able to win when outnumbered 3v1 and stay alive capturing all enemy vessels.

Captains not willing to engage in boarding combat should take extreme care and stay downwind denying the opportunity to board at all costs, keeping their speed above 4knots. 

We are also investigating the reports.

Why are ye raining on me theft parade???

Its very interesting how many real players do not prepare for boarding when an enemy ship is right next to them.

Ohh, the number of crews that surrendered to me ship, The Banshee, after one round o' baordin'….    >=o)

One has to take into account bad tactical choices that so many players make, wot thai makes then fall prey to me!