Game-Labs Forum

Patch 9.65 - Crew and resource production

admin

Like in life, you must go work in order to have some cash to put in your hobbit :) Make some money in craft/ trade/ npc and go use it in pvp :) With something like 20->50k by mission, i don't call it grind....

And here I thought this was a game. So it IS a second job after all.

And here I thought this was a game. So it IS a second job after all.

I do not understand. It is a personal choice how much time you want to spend playing.

It is not mandatory nor compulsive, to be competitive, to rush through the rates, the production chain, the crafting notes, the...., the...

In any case all opinions are valid as long as they ensure a constructive taking of notes on the developers side and take it into any consideration regarding their vision and project.

• Like 1

Tried the crew system yesterday, it adds a lot of flexibility to the game (you can sail bigger ships undercrewed, if you make a compromise in your armament; I sailed the Trincomalee with 257 crew with only the main deck armament and chasers, and it worked very well).

As for the crafting changes, my only problem is that you should have been able to choose what kind of crafting notes you wanted from your existing ones. Now some crafters (including myself) are stuck with high grade notes where we need mid grade for the ships we can craft.

Edited by kumisz
  • Like 1

I don't understand what you are talking about Captain

2 min entry allows you to attack safer (without worry that 20 ships will enter) if you just scanned the horizon

Money are not a problem. No offence but you are making up stuff now by saying that you need 1 week to prepare money and gather resources to afford 1 battle.

Even 3rd rates and constitution superfrigates are free everywhere - just cap them from NPCs. And one dura 3rd rate can make you a lot of money before it sinks to a random gank.

Or was it a strange metaphor which was disconnected from reality to reinforce some other point?

I was frustrated yesterday.  Spoke out with out checking all info.  Got  upset  becoz i find it hard to sail my trink. it took me 30 min to kill AI belle pule. 

My biggest fear is European traders. 

If they stay in the game, Resources prices will be in check.  If they go  prices will spiral out of control. 

Can u manually assign how much crew u want at what department?   

How the one knows how much crew % needs to asign to a task? 

I know i can cap a connie or a third rate  but they only 1 dura, so i cant mount expensive mods and  with out mods i'm at disadvantage in pvp. Knowing this i cant go pvp. 

I see pve money has been increased. Will it remain so?  or u will take it away  in 2 days like u did last time.

It looks like it goes in right direction...

Also I think what devs have in mind is to create dependency on merchants and other producers. You basically can't just craft on your own, you have to get your supplises from other players. It should in theory create nice chain with players in between including producers, merchants and crafters since it would be hard to do all the tasks on your own.

It will probably still need some tweaks in terms of quantity and costs of producing each resource but in the end I think it should work just fine.

However you basically just can't solo right now witch is good in my opinion. It is MMO after all players should be depended on each other.

Of course it will probably impact Ship prices but let's be honest here. Ship prices were way to low. Nowdays PvP players should be morce careful of loosing their ships. Also it could give us a reason not to always use the biggest ship available to us. Imagine further down the line when most of the players will have high levels and everybody sailing in their biggest ship preforming mundane tasks... it would be just silly. Bring out the big guns only when you need them (large scale battles and operations) sail on frigate or corvette daily ;)

Edited by Wyspa

Also I think what devs have in mind is to create dependency on merchants and other producers. You basically can't just craft on your own

Current building production numbers are designed to provide a solo player the opportunity to gather all resources required for Santisima in 7 real life days (1 week). Some buildings only require 60 hours for a 3 day production storage some buildings require 750 hours (coal). So you always have some hours left to work materials. If you continue buying materials you will get it faster. 

Buildings solve one problem - they provide guaranteed resources without the need to trade and bid on contracts. 

All the talk - "buildings consume my precious labor hours" sound strange because they don't consume much but guarantee your suplly

V557xZf.png

• Like 7

I know you have plans to redistribute resources in the future, but now is very hard get some stuff for one-port nations.

Maybe capitols needs produce all kinds of resources.

Or let build buildings in free ports too. This way people needs make cargo routes with the risk of pirates and corsairs. For this, we need quit the TP to capital with stuff in the hold and deliveries too.

The all-or-nothing approach for the crew assignment is a bit clumsy. It'd be nice to assign crew with a bit more fine-control.

Perhaps have sliders? Or a method where you tap the number keys to increase the priority by 10% (and shift-tap to decrease)?

• Like 1

You have point there. I should use different comparasion. Maybe the regular time it takes to travel 3 ports hauling stuff. Lets say Half hour? Still it would be 500g at least for oak. I would still buy from EU trader.

Now you point  indeed the real cost, but I think we are forgetting a fact about European traders, you cannot buy to them anywhere

"They only do it in the ports that provide that resource naturally. "

So, if anyone wants to buy something (i.e.gold) from a EU trader he must go to producing port, and pay three times the "natural" cost..... if you have a gold factory in that same port you can be charging 2.5xcost for your production, and doing quite good money with no traveling time ...

Or ,if you like delivery,you can charge for it to buyers , or being enterprising delivery to a free port where you know hemp is needed (by ship builders who does not want to go buy themselves(*))... making the math I am quite sure that with some valuables (i.e. gold) it is quite possible beating the $/hour of grinding.

(*)(BTW  IMHO this is the good fact that no one can now build from resources to ships by himself)

Now you point  indeed the real cost, but I think we are forgetting a fact about European traders, you cannot buy to them anywhere

"They only do it in the ports that provide that resource naturally. "

So, if anyone wants to buy something (i.e.gold) from a EU trader he must go to producing port, and pay three times the "natural" cost..... if you have a gold factory in that same port you can be charging 2.5xcost for your production, and doing quite good money with no traveling time ...

Or ,if you like delivery,you can charge for it to buyers , or being enterprising delivery to a free port where you know hemp is needed (by ship builders who does not want to go buy themselves(*))... making the math I am quite sure that with some valuables (i.e. gold) it is quite possible beating the $/hour of grinding.

(*)(BTW  IMHO this is the good fact that no one can now build from resources to ships by himself)

ADDITION:  you can even expect make huge profits by smuggling.... take your production to a free town where some unlucky faction with no easy access to that resource  (so no EU trader too) makes his ships

I hope everyone understand that the current hours and production numbers are a base for further improvement - not the final state of the production.

Hours will be tuned to give the players the opportunity to develop 5 same buildings and be able to gather all production using available labor hours (it is impossible with coal now). In addition to that buildings should provide good income for players who just build them to support their pvp lifestyle. 

Looks like many ppl forget they TEST alpha - don`t play released game.

• Like 1

I like the new crew management system very much.  Its a little counter intuitive in how one shifts crew between the different functions at first.  But sailing a Surprise and then a Frigate undercrewed was a breeze.  Either the undercrewed penalty was lowered, or the fact that crew are not allocated to passive functions (ie: survival when there is no leak) - makes a huge difference.

So Grim.

Your saying I can move the permit to a different location ?    ......port that is.

If so that's the answer I needed

You may have already realized it..but the thing that was tripping you up was that the "rights" you buy are for expanded slots to increase the number of total ports you control.

If you have 3 outposts currently and you abandon one, then you can pick a new location and build an outpost for 10k. Now if you decided you need 4 outposts then you will pay a large sum to expand your available outpost "slots" but then you will have the ability to now abandon and create 4 outpost slots for 5k & 10k respectively.

Edited by PiraticalBanditti

So is daily production from the buildings in game days? Or is it RL days? Sorry if this is obvious but I haven't seen anything that says one way or the other.

Also I wanted to say I love the crew management changes it makes it interesting to manage an under crewed ship. Can we please get a little bit more control over the % of crew assigned even if it was like selecting repairs or ammo where we can hit a certain percent to lock them in place.

With the labor hours have you guys looked at tying them into the buildings? Perhaps have production buildings and construction of parts pull  from one pool and then have the shipyards create their own pool of labor to create ships with. That way if someone wants to focus on just producing ships there would be a reason to build multiple shipyards. However if they wanted to produce resources and make ships they could do both without to many negatives.

Edited by LordSitruc

All the talk - "buildings consume my precious labor hours" sound strange because they don't consume much but guarantee your suplly

They consume the time a new player needs to lvl crafting. Wasted labor hours not yielding crafting exp, which is more needed than before bec of the increased requirements for notes.

So pls try to explain to me, why devs are so keen on getting rid of players by introducing more grind instead of attracting new ones by introducing new content ??

And don't try to tell us buildings are new content. They are just a  poor  replacement for an already existing  system. And with their current design they are completely useless. 

There is absolutely no need to build one, I can get materials enough and way cheaper than from those buildings.

Do you really think I care about 450 iron for the price of 78 coins + 0.5 labor hrs when I can simply buy loads of it for 78 coins w/o wasting my labor hours ???

Idk about the PvP servers, but on PvE production buildings are a joke.

Change their operation to automatically fill my warehouse w/o the need to invest labor hours and change their number to 5 per outpost, while reducing their production capacity.

Also: same as with outpost, split the costs into permit and building for production buildings and shipyard and return the cost when one has to relocate them.

Than they would actually make sense on a server with just 200 players...

Edited by Jan van Santen
  • Like 1

Is the one true way to make money in this game PVE grinding? Is this the goal? Economy is a giant money sink now, pvp at least for me is at best a zero sum game, and with the new kill rewards in pve that just became a lot more profitable.

In response to someone earlier, if you properly shoot up a ship before you capture it, you get the kill reward and you can sell it too.

what? PvP pays out bucketloads of cash.

• Like 1

THE BIG TRAP PATCH!

Hey!
i want a to share my clear opinion whats this patch about.
They made different type of notes to destroy the easy team working on it. They made labour hour and more money dependent the production and craft leveling to destroy easy team work on it. They want everybody (or much more then now) to make economy, but with a high time (IRL) price. Why is that? They got like 10 K players from start, but the player pool leak started, not more accounts created, and with this developer style (really slow and not real issue and problem focused developing) they wont get new players anymore.
Now only big clans can do real craft leveling, small guilds not, they can solo slow level. The only way solo players or small guilds can do real leveling, if they make second accounts. With this patch second accounts worth much more then before. They just stopped the family share aswell with this patch (what a surprise), lotta of my friend just lost shitload money and resource because of that, what wasnt mentioned before, especailly wasnt mentined that they cant take out thier stuff after patch. So developers can get some (not much) money, if they force the well to do (IRL) players to make second account appart from that old players will leave (they still payed, not a big issue for the developing team). Really incorrect and bad developer strategy imo, and shows where the develope and the game future going on. It gives long term but really boring goals (as we have to do the same grinding, just more than now, and the grind just doesnt enough to keep up leveling, need more and more time). i wont sacrifise more time or money to play. Till to get resorce consuming labour hours and more time and we dont have real gameplay developing (endgame content; national balance; lowering useless, borin OS sailing time; server size that fits to map size; variable solo and group missions; still frugal interface lookout after countless patch) im off. I suggest to all playerz not to build any resource building, as its a trap, more building created, more time and money will needed for the same craft leveling as it will stop the server resource product, what gave a more easy way for everybody to level. Gratz developerz! I bet after making craft leveling and resource product much harder and with the battle changing the NPC ship cap harder too soon u will implement ships  for real money ending with 3rd rate.

So i want to ask two things from developers, but i think wont get answer either of them. 1: Is it possible and do you plan to improve server(s) capacity or we will always stay on 2 K early acces servers? 2: Do you plan to implement ships for real money? If i get answers, i will know that this game will always stay in "early acces" and slowly dies, or it can overgroth its shadow. But as always (and as it always just in this game) i wont get answer, what is understandable, if im right :(. This game should be a gemstone just about its initial idea (ship combat system), but it wont be ever a good game because of devs dont have the ideas and the balls to make it better (purchase better server, some more employee to develop).

Edited by DrZoidberg

At first I was bummed about the limitations the labor hour create but I really believe there need to be a few things in place to control the pace and progression for there to be any longevity and staying power for NA. The big ships SHOULD be fairly rare...and the superior crafted one's should be even more so.

I think we have some intelligent mechanics being attempted and in time I have faith it will be tweaked toward perfection.

It's EA & we are play-testers. Expect growing pains. Most Alphas I've experienced aren't even close to this much fun.

THE BIG TRAP PATCH!

... it wont be ever a good game because of devs dont have the ideas and the balls to make it better. My trust broken.

Time to step away from the keyboard for a moment. Nothing constructive can come from that level of aggression.

Edited by PiraticalBanditti
  • Like 1