Game-Labs Forum

I think admin/devs owe a lot of people an answer, put this issue to rest.

The main issue right now is that pirates are just another faction, one that has several unique game mechanics that work against them and one that is hated by all nations by default. In the end, pirates have zero advantage and have a prize on their heads before they even start.

I think piracy should be an individual choice/action that can rake up infamy and come with a pardon system, as well as privatering options, etc.

Pirates do not have anything that works against them currently.

• Like 1

Why cannot nations do the same in the Bahamas for example?

As others have said, numbers.  The pirates outnumber the US 2-1 on most typical nights in North America timezone and we fight them just about every night.  And since you can become pirate without consequence, their numbers continually rise, and as nations get defeated, many turn pirate.  What other nation can you join without consequence?  None, only pirate.  All others you lose your assets because you have to delete your character and only xp carries over.  It should be the same for pirates.  I wouldn't be surprised if when it comes to active players on any given night, pirates are really close to #1 in pop.  Eventually the game will be GB, the hard core nationalist remnants of the other nations who are sticking it out even though their nation is defeated, versus an overwhelming majority of pirates.

• Like 15

Pirates do not have anything that works against them currently.

- No pirate fleets for other nations to accidentally pull

- Every nation hates pirates by default wereas other nations are hated/liked based on their actions

- When we cap player trader ships we get 1 of each instead of the full amount (other nations do not have this problem)

- Pirate capital is placed right between US and Brit nations, both of which are highly popular/big

- Pirate base ports are mostly shallow, severely limiting missioning past shallow water ships

- Pirates cannot enter neutral ports

- Pirate traders are very often attacked by fellow nation members

Yeah, not a single thing is working against pirates..

- No pirate fleets for other nations to accidentally pull        This is an advantage.  It means that your flags cannot be delayed by enemies attacking npcs without your knowledge

- Every nation hates pirates by default wereas other nations are hated/liked based on their actions                  not true on PVP1.  Danes and Pirates have a very good relation.

- When we cap player trader ships we get 1 of each instead of the full amount (other nations do not have this problem)                  Wrong, this is the same for every player, even other nations.

- Pirate capital is placed right between US and Brit nations, both of which are highly popular/big                  Capital placement is not that bad                                               

- Pirate base ports are mostly shallow, severely limiting missioning past shallow water ships                     this is false

- Pirates cannot enter neutral ports                  so what?

- Pirate traders are very often attacked by fellow nation members                        actually, on PVP1, pirates who attack other pirates are hunted down without mercy by the pirates in the coalition.

Didn't you post this before?  Yep

Cons:

- Cannot dock at neutral ports  so?

- Worst capital placement ever (sandwiched between US and Brits, woopidoo)  Capital placement is not that bad

- All nations hate and distrust you                                                                               Not true, and not the case on pvp1, or any different than nations

- Most of the starting ports are shallow water, putting a severe damper to leveling capabilities once you get out of the Brig-class ships   this is false

- When we cap player traders, and this seems to only affect pirate players, we only get 1 unit of any item that was in the hold     this is the same for everyone, doesnt count for pirates

- Half our members are Jack Sparrow wannabes that don't play seriously                            this is your con??? This doesn't count

- Our market in general is terrible because we have less people interested in trading/crafting    PVP1 pirates have the best economy.

- We have much less crafters overall, so we have a hard time getting descent ships at descent prices (price tag for a Trinco is approx 1mil right now on the pirate side on PVP2.. with a 1 week waiting time)   Not the case on PVP1

• Like 3

- Every nation hates pirates by default wereas other nations are hated/liked based on their actions

- When we cap player trader ships we get 1 of each instead of the full amount (other nations do not have this problem)

- Pirate capital is placed right between US and Brit nations, both of which are highly popular/big

- Pirate base ports are mostly shallow, severely limiting missioning past shallow water ships

If these are the types of things you find to be negatives i suggest you roll a national.

- No pirate fleets for other nations to accidentally pull ( why are you fleeting?  seems like a national past time to me)

-Every nation hates pirates by default wereas other nations are hated/liked based on their actions ( k. um so? Wheres the negative?)

-When we cap player trader ships we get 1 of each instead of the full amount ( Stated by devs to be a bug and fixed in next patch)

-Pirate capital is placed right between US and Brit nations, both of which are highly popular/big ( yay!! i see this as an davntage. Currently i have to spend thousands to setup up outposts in places that have action so i can actually pvp)

-Pirate base ports are mostly shallow, severely limiting missioning past shallow water ships ( again why are you doing missions? Shallow waters are actually a safety net for pirates as large naval ships cannot enter those areas and in my opinion rats shouldnt be sailing large naval ships)

- Pirates cannot enter neutral ports (potentially the only negative here.  However neutral ports are going away so not really a long term issue)

-- Pirate traders are very often attacked by fellow nation members ( youre pirates, this is what is supposed to happen.  I have yet to see any rat on rat conflict though and Ive spent about 85% of my in game time sailing around pirate waters.)

I think the issue really is the majority of rat players want to be a national with a "cool" black flag.  Where people such as myself who enjoy pvp and harassing players, and hardmode should really be the ones playing rat and not national.

Having one port makes the game very hard. It forces you into light ships. 

Players who are unhappy about the current sandbox should do something themselves: namely expel pirates from the bahamas forcing them into Inagua islands. 

Il-a-Vache based pirates play as real pirates already. Because they play for kills and robbing not conquest

• They sail light vessels (or fast frigates) exclusively.
  • They run from superior british fleets when british pass by or come to clear them up
  • They support other nations acting as bait or as support
This is only happening because british are doing something in that area.

Why cannot nations do the same in the Bahamas for example?

This reponse feels incredibly deflated from hopes and plans of a year or so back, and places the onus of making pirates actual pirates on the players.

I'm not really certain how or why this change in philosophy came about. And it is very much a change in philosophy, very radically altering the end-result of the game, post-alpha, post-launch.

Perhaps if you could explain the rationale for changing your philosophy on it, it might make sense to the rest of us calling for "the old plans."

• Like 5

This reponse feels incredibly deflated from hopes and plans of a year or so back, and places the onus of making pirates actual pirates on the players.

I'm not really certain how or why this change in philosophy came about. And it is very much a change in philosophy, very radically altering the end-result of the game, post-alpha, post-launch.

Perhaps if you could explain the rationale for changing your philosophy on it, it might make sense to the rest of us calling for "the old plans."

I haven't been around forever so I have not idea what their original plans for the pirates were, but after reading what admin has to say it's obvious he really just wants to keep the current system. As I have stated before the current idea of Pirates being a nation and that the players themselves need to make it work is garbage.

Very simply put, strip their ability to cap ports, change all important pirate ports to free ports, change all unimportant ones to neutral ports. DONE, that will turn them into the roaming nomadic assholes that they are meant to be for now. You can add other stuff later. If you say you can't do this, you are flat face lying.

• Like 7

Really feels like a bad attemp by admin to dodge the question. Sadly that response is likely all we will get on the issue as they seemingly believe ignoring the issue long enough will solve it.

I have no clue what percent of the playerbase thinks that pirates should be more inline with what the devs originally intended, but I think a real effort should be made to find out.

It's pretty obvious that this needs addressed.

Either say that pirates will stay as is, or go toward the direction originally envisioned.

I believe the playerbase has a right to know as paying customers.

• Like 1

I'm fine with pirates being a nation with everything that goes with it, as long as to become a pirate you have to delete your current character and make a new one (keeping your xp), and they can no longer attack each other.

For the time being anyway, until there is more time to devote to it.

• Like 4

What a funny list.

So pirates can't enter neutral ports. How many of those are left? One. On the entire map. 

USA and Britain are rather tame towards pirates. I don't think either of them have launched major offensives in the last five weeks.

You only need one port to run missions. Your missions aren't worse because of shallow water ports. How many deep water ports is Sweden holding right now, how many are the pirates holding?

1 Cargo on player kill is a bug. You need to resort to bugs to make that list look bigger?

I also didn't realize this game was a popularity contest. Everyone hates you? I think most players don't even care, having never even seen a pirate.

Edited by Quineloe

Let me see if I've got this right. The Spanish nation gets almost near destroyed, developers hint (are they still actually doing this?) changing the mechanics to help them. The pirate nation does not work how a pirate faction should, developers say it is out of their hands.

This is rather distasteful, alpha/beta testing or not. 

• Like 6

Well, with this cave-in I guess now we'll be getting the Black Pearl in a future patch. :(

Disappointing does not begin to cover it. If sea of thieves comes out I wonder what BS will be added here to compete with it? Krakens, mermaids? Who knows.

Il-a-Vache based pirates play as real pirates already. Because they play for kills and robbing not conquest

Not really, they are playing as guerrilla fighters for their black flagged nation. It's really a great shame that you are apparently not going to develop piracy in this game into something unique and interesting.

• Like 1

Not really, they are playing as guerrilla fighters for their black flagged nation. It's really a great shame that you are apparently not going to develop piracy in this game into something unique and interesting.

But thats what pirates are all about guerrilla tactics...killing smaller numbers fleeing the scene ..kinda thing im no pirate but that how i see it.

I am so freaking sick of all the cry babies on here!

Pirates shouldn't capture ports

Pirates shouldn't craft ships

Pirates shouldn't sail large ships

Blah blah blah

The only frikin reason it bothers you is because with even numbers in port battles, you (Brits, US, whoever) have trouble capturing our ports.

Stop crying on the forums & work to improve your nations!

Edited by Anneinedu
  • Like 3

Umm Pirates should be able to cap ports tho really it makes more sense for them to raid ports why would they want to be tied to a settlement?

Pirates should be able to craft ships if they acquire the BPs via capture and have a suitable shipyard/drydock

Pirates should be able to sail large ships if they can afford the plunder to crew ratio...

Remember Pirate crews got paid...which means its more expensive every fking month to run a larger pirate ship.....

We didnt raid enough...FK you pay me...

We didnt cap enough cargo...FK you pay me...

and if you don't pay Pirate crews there are many examples of what happens and the very least was marooning

You guys want to run around saying "we're pirates" but you dont want any of the costs for being pirate

^This

• Like 1