Game-Labs Forum

Yogscast just posted a Naval Action Video - New People Coming? UPDATE - (2nd Video on Feb 24th)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvgKLB4k8Fs

Yogscast Duncan (~2 million subscribers) just posted a video of their main cast members playing Naval Action. They do acknowledge that it is early access, but clearly were not sure how certain things worked. At the end they said they intend to release more Naval Action videos.

Yogscast Duncan's videos sometimes reach 100-200,000 views, so even if 1 or 2% of they viewers became interested, that's a pretty significant population boost to the game.

Update - Here is their follow up video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgm_oB9r9TY

Edited by Fesevoa
  • Like 1

What is hilarious is they do green on green damage which is dis-allowed and is breaking the rules which could ban you.

Honestly that video and representation of the game was bad, You need to atleast read up or ask about the basics before they play a game like this.

One even said it's like EVE and look how complex eve is.... didn't they think hey lets read up abit before we do stuiped stuff.

I don't have anything against these guys but most there audience are minecraft players so...

Edited by The Bloody Hound

seeing for the fail on basic WASD and mous controls and beeing that kind of youtubes shows that some people shouldnt be allowed to have a creditcard.

You made me choke on my colombian coffee with that comment :D

The Yogscast has good and bad influence on games. At the end of the day though, as youtubers, they are just creating content which is aimed primarily at goofing around, doing mistakes and, well, being noobs.

I was in Heroes and Generals when Yogscast did a few videos of it... which caused a large influx of new players... more PR for a game is always good, as it brings in more attention for the game as well as more players willing to buy the game or invest in microtransactions and so forth, which in turn makes the wheels turn around and allow for more development of the game.

On the user side, that is, us players, things are a bit different as the type of players that join bring onboard the same "lets goof around and just be noobs" mentality, which doesn't always sit well with the more established and veteran players of the game.

However, over time the amount of players who only have an interest in goofing around and not being serious will start to wane as they find other pastures to goof around in. But at the end of the day the game has achieved being more recognized, ergo "put on the map" so to speak... and we as players will be left with a larger number of players who are genuinely interested in the game, tall ships and so on... and they will remain, and continue to play.

So while it might be painful in the short term with a large influx of Yogi's, it will benefit the game and community in the long term.

At least that is my experience from Heroes & Generals when same thing happened :)

Plus, who doesn't like to plunder and sink someone who doesn't know their port from their porthole, if you know what I mean :P

• Like 4

All things considered, I'd rather have Yogscast do their typical comedic feature treatment, than Birgirpall doing an "I Broke Naval Action" video showing a bunch of ways the physics engine / clipping / etc can be broken easily.

One is harmless fun, the other is "OMFG who would buy such a stupidly broken game."

Happily I don't think NA is stupidly broken! :)

Edited by surfimp

Not sure what people were expecting watching the video considering they were 2 new players who have never played before. I personally can relate to their experience.

The game is great..i have invested quite some time in it. What will put people off though is the lack of guidance for new players the game offers (None).

End of the day...as good as it is..the game offers little more than combat, basic trading, ganking, crafting, port cpatures and a grind via the same missions over and over to level up. 

I have 130hrs (probably 100 alone just sailing from various locations to actually get something done) clocked since my purchase 2 weeks ago....Im a plunderer and just got my ship "Surprise". I seriously cannot see myself "grinding" out anymore levels.

Give players more variation to leveling:

Exploration missions

Trading missions

Ship capturing missions

PVP ship capture missions

Port capturing missions

Weekly (pvp) kill missions ...kill one player of each faction within a week

Maybe someone who knows a little bit more about what they're doing in NA can offer their services to Yogscast and have a "proper" video made up? It doesn't have to be super dry bones and boring but having someone in the audio explaining things while letting them be funny still might make a better impact?

I'd get more excited for them (and consequently NA) if I saw them bring down the bad guy somewhat competently!

• Like 1

I quite enjoyed the Yogscast videos when they were starting out with minecraft, but when they overmilked that cow it became quite bad.. Scripted bad jokes and all that. On one hand, more publicity and turnover can be a good thing, on the other, are these the 'kind' of players we want in this marvellous game?

• Like 1

Awww.. it wasn't that bad guys. I don't think it made NA look bad it all. The look of the game looked brilliant and it looked fun from my perspective. Those guys were funny, and hopefully it will bring more publicity to the game. Honestly, I think we need to appeal to a wider player base if the game is to be successful down the road. Not everyone wants to RP Hornblower, or Jack Aubrey..

Awww.. it wasn't that bad guys. I don't think it made NA look bad it all. The look of the game looked brilliant and it looked fun from my perspective. Those guys were funny, and hopefully it will bring more publicity to the game. Honestly, I think we need to appeal to a wider player base if the game is to be successful down the road. Not everyone wants to RP Hornblower, or Jack Aubrey..

The thing that sparked my interest in tall ships was neither Hornblower or Jack Aubrey... nor was it Nelson... or youtubers, or twitch streams... or any other famous person.

Well, perhaps it was a somewhat famous person.

Sid Meier.

As in, Sid Meiers Pirates.

Such a brilliant game and I yearned for more tall ships games for a long time. None really matched it. While Naval Action doesn't provide the same experience (sword fighting the enemy captain to take his ship, courting the merchants or governors daughter and so on) it does provide excellent combat gameplay, beautiful graphics and presents the Age of Sails in a great way.

• Like 1

This is a pretty good look at how most people are going to view this game. 

"Why did you pick this up?" - "Because I like ships" pretty much sums up why a lot of people are going to be disappointed when they find out that the game really doesn't cater to that simple fascination but instead makes ships into a currency you spend in huge clan wars that most people don't even remotely have the time to engage in. It could easily have both without compromising its principles if it tried.

Edited by Aetrion

This is a pretty good look at how most people are going to view this game. 

"Why did you pick this up?" - "Because I like ships" pretty much sums up why a lot of people are going to be disappointed when they find out that the game really doesn't cater to that simple fascination but instead makes ships into a currency you spend in huge clan wars that most people don't even remotely have the time to engage in. It could easily have both without compromising its principles if it tried.

+1

Well, people who like commercial airliners will pick up FSX, P3D or XPlane.

Those who like tanks end up in World of Tanks, War Thunder and Heroes and Generals.

Likewise, those interested in combat flying will pick up games like War Thunder, DCS, IL-2 and so forth.

So the interest in the vehicle itself, in the case of this game the tall ships, is a primary reason why gamers decide to buy and try the games.

After that it's really down to the gameplay in the game which determines if they continue playing or not... e.g. with the tanks (which I enjoy) I stopped playing World of Tanks despite that I like tanks simply because I didn't like the game mechanics.

Yea, but with the open world format this game has the ability to satisfy a huge number of play styles, the only thing that's stopping it from being a great game for everyone who likes ships is that it doesn't keep your ships free of the whole tangle of economy and clanwar stuff that only a small portion of players actually go for and that could be more than adequately be served with any number of other consumables.

Again, the free ship argument.

The NPC-crafted ships are basically free. You buy a 5th rate, spend its 5 durability in 5 battles, sinking in every single one of them, and you still get the money back you spent on the ship.

That said, I don't want to derail the topic, since it is an interesting one.

Yea, but with the open world format this game has the ability to satisfy a huge number of play styles, the only thing that's stopping it from being a great game for everyone who likes ships is that it doesn't keep your ships free of the whole tangle of economy and clanwar stuff that only a small portion of players actually go for and that could be more than adequately be served with any number of other consumables.