Game-Labs Forum

Player selected ship 2015 - Suggestions

admin

i have no specific ship as of yet but I vote for a cargo ship of some type. My reason is that the open world testing will arrive soon and travel times need to be tested using these ships as well as warships. Also, as we get closer to an actual open world game we need to have at least one of all the elements needed in place. Therefore, a hauler is more necessary than any other ship at this time.

• Like 1

HMS Agamemnon (1781)

64 Gun 3rd rate ship of the line of the Ardent class.

Reason: Most players will spend their time in "smaller" ships such as larger frigates or lower rated SoL. This would be a smaller SoL. It is also well known as Lord Nelson was captain of the vessel between 1793 and 1796 and called it his favorite so it would be good markting material as well, similar to the HMS Victory.

Further more I'm a fan of the "less" decorated ships.

Plans are avilable

large.jpg

It has also been in many illustrations:

li0020.jpg

Though they are not historical.

A highly detailed 3D model was done by P.R.Dobson:

1-aga_138-122-1086884502-mid.jpg

Maybe it can be aquired for a reasonable price if it makes any sense to work with that.

• Like 3

there will come an russian 64 gun soon wich is based on british plans

I take it you are talking about Ingermanland (1715)? Between that and Agamemnon (1781) are 66 years of ship designs. Ingermanland was apparently already decommissioned by 1739 that’s 42 years before Agamemnon was even launched.

Not to mention that I already said I prefer plain designs. To put it frankly: I don't like the look of Ingermanland. It was appropriate for PotBS but in game that features a USS Constitution I hardly see a place for it.

Furthermore as I pointed out most players will meddle in that range of ships: Bigger frigates and smaller SoLs. Having an alternative in a highly demanded category certainly benefits player choice and customization.

If it is not Ingermanland point me to it and I will have a look at it. I can't follow every detail of development.

I take it you are talking about Ingermanland (1715)? Between that and Agamemnon (1781) are 66 years of ship designs. Ingermanland was apparently already decommissioned by 1739 that’s 42 years before Agamemnon was even launched.

Not to mention that I already said I prefer plain designs. To put it frankly: I don't like the look of Ingermanland. It was appropriate for PotBS but in game that features a USS Constitution I hardly see a place for it.

Furthermore as I pointed out most players will meddle in that range of ships: Bigger frigates and smaller SoLs. Having an alternative in a highly demanded category certainly benefits player choice and customization.

If it is not Ingermanland point me to it and I will have a look at it. I can't follow every detail of development.

Yes, Mirones is talking about the Ingermanland. BTW, the model you posted is wonderful :)

Maybe it can be aquired for a reasonable price if it makes any sense to work with that.

That model looks extremely high-poly mesh to me. Even a couple of such models on your screen during the game would slow down the FPS to almost 0 rate. That is exactly the reason why 3D modellers working for gaming industy typically have to sacrifise to some extent the quality of details on their creations.

That model looks extremely high-poly mesh to me. Even a couple of such models on your screen during the game would slow down the FPS to almost 0 rate. That is exactly the reason why 3D modellers working for gaming industy typically have to sacrifise to some extent the quality of details on their creations.

its like with that other post about an 74gun with story the model was purely made for photo's and nothing else it would make the hardware of the server and players melt if 2 of these would meet each other

I didn't mean that this exact model should be used.

Of course this model is in no state to be used in a video game. That’s why I said "if it makes sense to work with it" meaning if it would make it easier and faster to create a game ready model.

I’m invested in pCARS where they use CAD data to build their car models. They can extrapolate a very detailed 3D model out of the CAD data. That model is of course completely useless for a video game but then used as template to create a game ready model. The result is a very accurate game ready model since all measurements, details etc. are already present in the template.

What I meant is that if the price is reasonable (if even acquirable) that maybe it reduces workload and time necessary for creating a game ready model and therefore maybe worth the investment.

I wouldn’t know that, I just pointed out that something like that exists.

There is so many to choose from, but from a Swedish point of view maybe some of theese ships would be interesting?

post-818-0-66745400-1420319556_thumb.jpeg

1.  Göta Lejon (1745 ) . A 70-gun ship of the line

post-818-0-48681700-1420319657_thumb.jpg

2. Amarant (1653). A 50-gun Ship of the line

post-818-0-06889600-1420319761_thumb.jpg

3. Wasa (1778 ) A 60-gun Ship of the line

post-818-0-62389500-1420319933_thumb.jpg

4, Kung Adolf Fredrik (1775)  A 70-gun Ship of the line

post-818-0-17839400-1420320094_thumb.jpg

5. Öland (1681) a 56-gun Ship of the line. ( Ignore the english gankers )

From the ships discussion thread. I am having a hard time finding more info on the French Revenant so I found this gem in the other thread discussing possible ship additions. 

It would be awesome to see the Flagship Niagara in-game, as I was a member of her crew two summers ago. Here's a link to the wikipedia article. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Niagara_%281813%29 

Brief description:

The USS Niagara, commonly called the US Brig Niagara or the Flagship Niagara, is a wooden-hulled brig that served as the relief flagship for Oliver Hazard Perry in the Battle of Lake Erie during the War of 1812.

Class & type: Niagara-class brig Displacement: 297 long tons (302 t)[1] Length: 110 ft 8 in (33.7 m) LBP Beam: 32 ft (9.8 m) Height: 113 ft 4 in (34.5 m) Foremast
118 ft 4 in (36.1 m) Mainmast Draft: 9 ft (2.7 m) Sail plan: 12,665 sq ft (1,177 m2) on two
masts[1] Boats & landing
craft carried: 2 cutters, 1 yawl[2] 1813: Tons burthen: 492 6095 tons[1] Complement: 155 officers and enlisted Armament: 18 × 32-pounder carronades
2 × 12-pounder long guns

Picture in spoiler

1920px-Brig_Niagara_full_sail.jpg

Though many have recommended SOL, I too will throw one in, based purely on the heroic (in other words, ill fated) captain and crew.  The Danneborge.

"The Danish-Norwegian fleet succeeded in making it back to Copenhagen without suffering any great losses. This was in no little way due to the heroic efforts of Captain Iver Huitfeldt on board the man-of-war DANNEBROGE.

Despite a violent fire on-board, he kept up the fight thus drawing the Swedish fleet’s attention away from the rest of the ships. After an hour's battle, the man-of-war exploded killing nearly 600 men – including Captain Iver Huitfeldt."

http://www.navalhistory.dk/english/history/navybefore1801.htm

Give this ship an armor bonus and a magazine penalty!  (no, just pick and make the ship)

Specifics:

• Name:  DANNEBROGE
  • Specs:  Launched 1692, Exploded & Sunk Oct 4 1710
    Complement: 600

Armament In 1710:

• 20 × 8-pounder bronze cannon
    • 22 × 14-pounder cannon
    • 26 × 24-pounder cannon
    • 4 × 4-pounder cannon
    • 4 × 14-pounder iron howitzers[1]
  • Drawing:

Dannebroge_galionen.jpg

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Dannebroge_galionen.jpg

Dannebroge.jpg

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Dannebroge.jpg

Dannebroge_%281692%29_-_Agterspejl.jpg

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Dannebroge_%281692%29_-_Agterspejl.jpg

Dannebroge_%281692%29_-_H%C3%A6k.jpg

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Dannebroge_%281692%29_-_H%C3%A6k.jpg

That is all I could find.  It met a valiant end.

GRIM

POST SCRIPT:  Though I cannot read the language it is written in, I believe they recount the battle and show the fleet movements.  Attached ship model, ill fated positioning (hmmm, make Dannish mission to re-enact the battle and change history...), and LINK:

• Like 2

There is so many to choose from, but from a Swedish point of view maybe some of theese ships would be interesting?

attachicon.gifJacob_Hägg_Göta_Lejon_1745_Linjeskepp.jpeg

1.  Göta Lejon (1745 ) . A 70-gun ship of the line

attachicon.gifAmarant01.jpg

2. Amarant (1653). A 50-gun Ship of the line

attachicon.gifhagg_vasa.jpg

3. Wasa (1778 ) A 60-gun Ship of the line

attachicon.gif1600185_fullsize.jpg

4, Kung Adolf Fredrik (1775)  A 70-gun Ship of the line

attachicon.gifKonvojskeppet_Ölands_strid_med_engelska_eskadern_utanför_Englands_kust_i_juli_1704.jpg

5. Öland (1681) a 56-gun Ship of the line. ( Ignore the english gankers )

Alternatively: Götheborg - Swedish East Indianman launched in Stockholm 1738. 30-gun, crew of 144

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6theborg_%28ship%29

• Like 1