Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum
Percival Merewether

Boarding + 'Determined Defender' suggestion

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Christendom said:

Frankly it's ruined OW hunting and port battles for me.  Anyone that thinks rage boarding is easy has no idea how to do it.

>Have boarding ship knowledge

>Ram enemy ship in to wind

>????

>Dead first rate

 

Much skill

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, RedNeckMilkMan said:

>Have boarding ship knowledge

>Ram enemy ship in to wind

 >????

>Dead first rate

 

Much skill

As always, your feedback adds much to this conversation.  Keep up the good work.  

Like I said, if you think rage boarding is easy you don't know how to do it.  Clearly you don't.

Anyway a smart captain can avoid getting boarded in most rage boarding scenarios.  I'm ok with a change to DD where your first attempt doesn't work OR the perk becomes a 4 or 5 point perk and other aspects of a player's loadout must be sacrificed in order to run it.  

Currently it's too cheap and far too over powered in it's current implementation in the game.

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Intrepido said:

I see no logic on small ships inmovilizing far bigger ships while others really kill the crew.

I dont see the logic on rageboarding neither on making the worst thing of NA (the boarding minigame, usually a ping and gear check) the new meta.

Agree previous game play was far worse with all the stern camping and rage boarding.  Plus the current boarding game is little more than a ping dependent last second paper,rocks,scissors mini game. 

Those here with sub 100 pings please try the game via a VPN and a ping of 350-400 let me know how much you enjoy boarding then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, William Wade said:

Agree previous game play was far worse with all the stern camping and rage boarding.  Plus the current boarding game is little more than a ping dependent last second paper,rocks,scissors mini game. 

Those here with sub 100 pings please try the game via a VPN and a ping of 350-400 let me know how much you enjoy boarding then. 

Too often before determined defender people aimed to board right away rather than brawl it out just for quick battles. Started to make the game very dull seeing everyone just boarding simply because it was quicker and at times easier to do than to sink by hull damage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope DD is a placeholder for upcoming boarding and morale revamps. It's just such a sigh that a perk exists to such hard limits instead of a dynamic system that would achieve a better result. I get rage boarding needed a fix but I'd rather have a fix that will stay not one thats FOTM and probably took 3 minutes to code, no offense devs.

Edited by Slim McSauce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

I hope DD is a placeholder for upcoming boarding and morale revamps. It's just such a sigh that a perk exists to such hard limits instead of a dynamic system that would achieve a better result. I get rage boarding needed a fix but I'd rather have a fix that will stay not one thats FOTM and probably took 3 minutes to code, no offense devs.

Sure and they also need to add small arms fire from crew and marines when ships are in proximity and a host of other changes to make close quarters action more realistic instead of turning into a arcade mini game where the vet with a fantasy book and stacked boarding mods can take down a SOL from a 6th rate. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, William Wade said:

Sure and they also need to add small arms fire from crew and marines when ships are in proximity and a host of other changes to make close quarters action more realistic instead of turning into a arcade mini game where the vet with a fantasy book and stacked boarding mods can take down a SOL from a 6th rate. 

funny thing is that would also take 3 minutes to code in, it already exists it's a matter of toggling it on and boom we have it. Though it wouldn't look good with the actual marines and affects. I don't know why devs haven't gotten around to adding the full crew of ships. Most people run the game well enough to add more of the simple crew models they have, if it really is a problem add a slider for how much crew detail you want. It's not like we want it for every ship in sight, I'm not even sure if you can see enemy crew atm.

It's little things like this that keep me from playing. If you chose 5 or so random small, safe suggestions like this the game would move forward with little opposition, like how could you argue against something so self serving as marines, a morale system, navigation tools, and what else. They're realistic and a natural path of development for a game that is trying to accurately portray the age of sail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Otto Kohl said:

DD is for skilles noobs. I would be ashamed to use that perk. It must be gone.

And I notice your ping is sub 50 in that mission to avenge Mo. 

I would be seriously interested to hear back what you think of boarding with a Ping of 300+  - try via a VPN server on the other side of the world. 

The lag is significant compared to what you experience at sub 50. 

 

Edited by William Wade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Proper Raking still allows boarding (same rate ships, eg. Frig vs frig)

No more snows boarding endymions 1v1 (or surps boarding vics)

I used to board a lot of lineships in light frigates, but in hindsight, that was stupid. Used to hate the perk too but now I think its fine.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever the devs decide is the right thing, it's their game and they have a plan.

I don't care if DD goes or stays at end of the day i'm sure devs know what is best.

Edited by Dibbler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DD should only work when you have boarding preparation ready. As the crew ready to defend, they should be prepared ! So you sacrifice firepower or sailing.

A Santi should not be sailing alone, a santi gets boarded by wasa ? Sorry that commander did not deserve to command a 1st rate, that is it ! 

* I see people becoming Commodore and they want to have a Victory, all I tell them, "you will lose your victory". Excuse me, if you can not dance in a snow, you will f. up in that big ship. I can not stand the sight of " a tacking for 1st rate, which makes constant yard movements to left and right, cause does not know how to tack".

You should perfectly tack, you should reverse, change your reverse direction, you should speed up, slow, stop and you have to do them in a very short time, you will not use w or s, you will use only yards and depower and rudder

I can do the stuff above, but will not sail in my 1st rate like I am sailing a 5th rate around.

DD at current stage is lame and retarded (only thing is players with bad ping can benefit from this) 

 

@admin    Better way to correct the lame / millisecond senstive boarding game is to, change it into a card game, like Heartstone ?

So no body will make last millisecond winning moves.

* Your selected boarding skills and upgrades,

* the morale of both ships,

* the crew number,

* decks and cannons

will decide your card deck.. Each player has a turn to act, and the other has to react, you can end the turn or wait for 10 seconds just like the current game. Please check many succesful card games on pc.

* This way it will be more realistic, and yes you should not dare to rage board a big ship in your 6th rate. You still have to reduce the crew drasticaly to secure a victory No body will cry for rage boarding. Imagine a Heartstone clone with beautiful naval time/pirate themed backround and cards.

pirate-1.jpg

pirate-2.jpg

pirate-3.jpg

pirate-4.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Determined Defender, on its own is harmless ( to a point ).

Now setup a solid boarding setup and DD on top.

Simply put, I will board only when I want and you cannot do anything about it.

It benefits more - once again - modular ships and meta, rather then the average jack.

Snappy salute.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Determined Defender, on its own is harmless ( to a point ).

Now setup a solid boarding setup and DD on top.

Simply put, I will board only when I want and you cannot do anything about it.

It benefits more - once again - modular ships and meta, rather then the average jack.

Snappy salute.

very bad example. You cant board anyone anyway without getting crew lower first.

And then you dont need boarding.kds anyway because you have 30% more or even more crew anyaay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rediii said:

very bad example. You cant board anyone anyway without getting crew lower first.

And then you dont need boarding.kds anyway because you have 30% more or even more crew anyaay

You misinterpreted totally what I said. 100% :)

I will try to convey it again, maybe I wasn't clear enough.

With DD I will block you from boarding me. But I also have a strong boarding setup, so I can board you when I want.

Win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

You misinterpreted totally what I said. 100% :)

I will try to convey it again, maybe I wasn't clear enough.

With DD I will block you from boarding me. But I also have a strong boarding setup, so I can board you when I want.

Win.

You don't assume that the other has DD as well because it's meta to have it. 

No meta player will understand you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, z4ys said:

You don't assume that the other has DD as well because it's meta to have it. 

No meta player will understand you.

*sigh*

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DD might be stupid, but intentionally ramming ships and pushing them into the wind is even more stupid and unrealistic, so I rather have DD than 5 ships ramming me.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perks i hate them all, remove them and make it like it was in NA-L, you get a new ship unlock more things with experience that you get from Battles and all ships will get more even. More Skill based no Magicperks and Upgrades. DD is a major pain.

Same for the Woodtyps the most of them are rare used like oak but we have them for a reason i do not understand. Crafters will say they like the wide variaition in crafting blablabla .....! But do we need this?

Sometimes are many options good, but less can be more. More fun, more Balance, more Skillbased.

Dont let Ships that coud sail in reallity max. 12 knots sail 14 knots it feels false.

Waiting for the Patch back to the Stars se you soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe DD perk block Initiate Boarding can be a step.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next step: Attack is cancelled out because own boarding net prevents from attacking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Batman said:

DD might be stupid, but intentionally ramming ships and pushing them into the wind is even more stupid and unrealistic, so I rather have DD than 5 ships ramming me.

So 5 ships attacking you, and you expect them not to board you ?

And I do agree, crashing into another ship with high speed is stupid. If you are in small ship hitting a big ship with 10 knots, it should cripple your ship, badly with rig and also hull damage and the big ship would suffer less. 

may be there should be a grappling phase which also prevents the insta-boarding. So both ships need to be sailing less than 3.5 knots for 25 seconds, and determined defender extends this time ? Like there  a circle gets filled to represent grappling phase, determined defender has a chance to interrupt or extends the timer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AeRoTR said:

So 5 ships attacking you, and you expect them not to board you ?

And I do agree, crashing into another ship with high speed is stupid. If you are in small ship hitting a big ship with 10 knots, it should cripple your ship, badly with rig and also hull damage and the big ship would suffer less. 

may be there should be a grappling phase which also prevents the insta-boarding. So both ships need to be sailing less than 3.5 knots for 25 seconds, and determined defender extends this time ? Like there  a circle gets filled to represent grappling phase, determined defender has a chance to interrupt or extends the timer.

Hit something at speed and the sudden deceleration should demast you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Batman said:

DD might be stupid, but intentionally ramming ships and pushing them into the wind is even more stupid and unrealistic, so I rather have DD than 5 ships ramming me.

This.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×