Game-Labs Forum
admin

Work in progress: Dreadnoughts

On 6/10/2018 at 9:28 PM, Nick Thomadis said:

It is going to be an RTS game, you will control multiple ships, that you design them and bring them to combat. A naval arms race begins from 1890 and you aim to create the most powerful fleet in the world. It is a game that I will personally enjoy very much to play for ages when it becomes complete :) Thank you for the wishes and I hope we can deliver the project in early access within this year.

That is really cool, basically everything I was hoping for about the game when first announced and then some :)

Particularly interested in building a fleet vs just building individual ships, I'm already planning classes of battleships, cruisers and destroyers (and maybe even some hybrid types). That balance between quantity and quality of individual ships is going to be fun to play around with, not to mention trying to design ships that will still be useful (or can be upgraded in useful ways) even when they are no longer the peak of available technology.

I referenced Storm Eagle's Jutland at one point earlier as well. As @Nick Thomadis points out, one of the chief problems these games had was a terribly complex and unfriendly interface. The mechanics were detailed but inaccessible due to the game design.

I compare that to, say, Koei's P.T.O. II which I played decades ago on a SNES which had the opposite problem - very simple interface, but likewise very simple mechanics underneath.

All mechanics discussions aside, I'm very excited for this project. As a ship's engineer and naval architect I sometimes curse that I was born too late to take part in designing during what I suspect we would all consider the golden age of steel ships.

• Like 1

@admin

This sounds very promising! While not a RTS player myself, I've always wanted a game similar to this one.

One question: Will it be an open world strategy game? Can I leave Kiel and try to make my way past the home fleet and escape into the Atlantic? 

Or will it just be a tactical arena, where I am given some opponents to defeat.

Thank you.

- Jag

Hello again all,

I would like to mention the progress we have so far with Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts. The game is mostly finalized in its innovative ship design mechanics and more features will make it deeper the coming months. The Ship Designer will allow players to construct and customize their own ships and will influence greatly the outcome of battles. During the campaign you will feel the tension of the Naval Arms race in a continuous struggle to construct the most powerful ships against major nations. The combat model is about 60% ready and needs more technology effects to become even more interesting, and this where we will focus in the next 1-2 months. We shall finalize all possible technologies related with ship designer and polish all the tech mechanics in the interface.

After all that, we will concentrate our efforts in the campaign map were players must have many interesting choices, blended with numerous historical events and what ifs. To answer the question of @JagEngland, the player so far does not have the option to move his fleet freely on the map, but we plan to implement a wide battle map interface where tactically he will have large freedom to maneuver during a tactical battle. 

As we add more and more features to the game, 3D modelling progresses steadily. Here are two more art teasers, showing two Pre-Dreadnought Models that are a work in progress.
PreDreadBeta1.jpgPreDreadBeta2.jpg

• Like 5

I think it looks great!

Sure would like to have a chance to test this game...

Looking good. Very exciting. I just posted these updates in a wargaming group I post in. Because it seems this one may be closing on the business end of things.