Game-Labs Forum
admin

Response to a review

What are you saying here, that because people (not necessarily even members of the game's community) upvoted this you are holding back content? If not that what, exactly, do you mean and do you never fucking learn? Seriously.. given the context of this thread and the review you are just shooting yourself in the face typing things like that. *facepalm*

Whats going on with all that holding back content comments.. we never said we will withhold content.. there is nothing to withhold.  

All content we make IS in the game and all ideas are immediately added for testing. Someone sails it or uses it.

We said if the game reviews are good sales will be good = will allow us to ADD MORE content. 

because we are not yet profitable: false review = less sales = less ships. Simple as that. 

People who were misled by that false review did not buy the game, thus we won't be able to afford to add a new first rate.

To translate again... To make ships we have to pay artists.. if we have no money, artists leave .. what you don't understand here?

And this can only be countered by people who want us to continue by leaving the positive review (even if they don't like the experiments we make).. 

Also

Because the game is early access it is being the development.   Community supports this development. If support stops, new content won't be possible. If someone does not like the early access features and constant experiments (which one might not like) and trashes the game he just says stop developing.

What are you saying here, that because people (not necessarily even members of the game's community) upvoted this you are holding back content? If not that what, exactly, do you mean and do you never fucking learn? Seriously.. given the context of this thread and the review you are just shooting yourself in the face typing things like that. *facepalm*

What I read is that it's a loss of potential buyer for Game Labs and therefore limited resources to make new ships.

whats going on with all that holding back content comments.. all content we make IS in the game. Someone sails it or uses it.

because we are not yet profitable: false review = less sales = less ships. Simple as that. 

People who up voted that false review did not buy the game. 

To translate again... To make ships we have to pay artists.. if we have no money, artists leave .. what you don't understand here?

Because the game is early access it is being the development. Community supports this development. If support stops, new content won't be possible 

you beat me.

That's cool, and thanks for replying. Sorry if my first post seemed a little short. Really though, the wording of things like that is so important and that single comment is already being used against you in reviews and on Steam =-i

Edited by Ratline

"This review itself have already robbed the community of at least 1 new first rate or 2 third rates, just based on the number of up votes."

You're initial reaction wasn't incorrect in regards to this clear statement. Why back down now, Ratline, unless this statement is made more clear and edited to reflect his second answer on mass reviews equaling increased revenue. As it stands in the first statement, he is referring to this one negative review affecting the entire community by it's wording and thus punishing everyone.

"This review itself have already robbed the community of at least 1 new first rate or 2 third rates, just based on the number of up votes."

You're initial reaction wasn't incorrect in regards to this clear statement. Why back down now, Ratline, unless this statement is made more clear and edited to reflect his second answer on mass reviews equaling increased revenue. As it stands in the first statement, he is referring to this one negative review affecting the entire community by it's wording and thus punishing everyone.

I dont think you get how marketing, especially with a review-system works. one bad review is much stronger than 10 positive ones. Just think about how you are shopping on amazon etc.

And I dont think its about "punishing" but if the review repulses potential customers it hurts the whole community. especially if there are partially based on misleading statements or a wrong context.

So if you think rationally its about working at least profitable everything other would literally be a gamebraker. Having a platform for all the trolls and haters but killing every discussion whether there are other opinions is just plain wrong.

Dont get me wrong i can relate to several points Ant made, but there should be the oportunity to put some things in the right perspective.

I do get it , Black Spawn. I'm not talking about Ant's review and I don't agree with it. My point is about the earlier statement made earlier by Ratline and Admin. Don't make my statement about something else, please, that's simple common sense. It's also common courtesy to expect a review with the final product and not to threaten future lack of content over it. Simply buying and testing this is support enough from the average user.

I do get it , Black Spawn. I'm not talking about Ant's review and I don't agree with it. My point is about the earlier statement made earlier by Ratline and Admin. Don't make my statement about something else, please, that's simple common sense. It's also common courtesy to expect a review with the final product and not to threaten future lack of content over it. Simply buying and testing this is support enough from the average user.

Okay maybe i went a bit over the top. lets get back to this statement :

This review itself have already robbed the community of at least 1 new first rate or 2 third rates, just based on the number of up votes

I do agree it can be interpeted as a threat. And communicating - especially if its used as a platform for PR should be carefully weighted.

It's also common courtesy to expect a review with the final product and not to threaten future lack of content over it

As far as i understand it the original agenda for the alpha is achieved and thus the promises were met - at least ship-wise. Everything else coming now is kind of a bonus which requires additional funds. But maybe we can get some clarification on that...

I have always taken reviews with a pinch of salt. I read them and form my own opinion about what I think is positive or negative. If I find a game that appeals to me such as this game, because I just love games that reflect the Age of Sail, I usually form my own opinion by purchasing the game to form my own opinion, whether I like it or I don't. Yes it is EA and you have to accept the fact that not everything is going to be good, but this game has so much potential and I like the game so will stick with it through thick and thin, because I want it to be what the developers are aiming for.

What suits one person or doesn't suit another person is not always the right way to judge something. The only way to judge anything is to try it yourself. Yes I did read the review in question, but my thoughts straight away, was that this person was trying his best to discredit Game Labs, for some reason and with the fact that he was deleting positive replies to his review, smelled of a rat.

Many people get a kick out of writing negative reviews which usually score low over positive reviews.

I bought this game because I fist came across it on youtube and I liked what I saw. A new game in the age of sail that had realistic ships, a beautiful open word and fantastic battle engagement that was very realistic, as well as realistic water and sounds. I was hooked and bought the game through Steam, three months ago.  To be honest, it was money well spent and although I knew that it was still in early access, I did not let this put me off. Yes there are niggles with it atm, but there is a long way to go yet with this game. Reading most of the negative reviews on Steam, I found that because it is still in development, some of those reviews where just people expecting a finished game. No matter how brilliant a game is, you will always get negative reviews, because there are always those people who expect everything to be just perfect.

If this game never reaches full development, which personally I think it will succeed, I have had more than my $40 worth already. It has given me a lot of pleasure and is one of the best games of this genre I have bought so far. I have always found the forums to be enjoyable to read, although a lot of topics about PVP are beyond me, because I just play PVE as a solo player, because that is how I like to play all the games I own. 

Don't take negative reviews as read, there are usually lots more positive reviews about most games, unless it is completely a load of rubbish. Unless you try a game yourself, you won't really be able to form your own opinion. 

i have told myself over and over not to write in this thread, didn't work :D. I always think the guys who are here longer know more. But i love the game. I might not be the pvp'er but i really like it. I have never been in an early access game and i bet i am a real bad tester , cause well i just play and if i run across something buggy i just press f11, write i quick statement and continue to play. I don't really think bout a lot of the stuff written in bad review. Why cause I really don't care , the game is awesome. I started playin before EA and when i applied , i was like please please  :D  and boom got lucky and was so happy when i got in , that i actually build myself a new rig. 

What i am trying to say , hell you guys have given me a lot of fun. Let the Haters hate. You're doing very good .

I'm not backing down, just acknowledging that my post could have been worded in a less confrontational way. Quite frankly I think 'admin' needs to have a very serious think about how he approaches this kind of issue and perhaps hand over certain aspects of PR communication to somebody a little less emotionally invested and more capable of calm, clear and unambiguous posting. To make the post I questioned, worded as it was, was a serious error of judgement. Now admin may not see it that way and, indeed, his response suggests just that. That is exactly why somebody else should be handling these matters.

I'm not backing down, just acknowledging that my post could have been worded in a less confrontational way. Quite frankly I think 'admin' needs to have a very serious think about how he approaches this kind of issue and perhaps hand over certain aspects of PR communication to somebody a little less emotionally invested and more capable of calm, clear and unambiguous posting. To make the post I questioned, worded as it was, was a serious error of judgement. Now admin may not see it that way and, indeed, his response suggests just that. That is exactly why somebody else should be handling these matters.

I think that reviewer was quite disingenuous, but Ratline you have a good point.  I think Admin comes across rough in a few cases.  Not all mind you, just a few overall.  But I think two things could make public views better: 1. Simply more communication, as time permits, tends to eliminate a lot of squabble and confrontation.  2. As Ratline says, if Admin were to give over communication to someone more unattached to development and also more polished in communication, then that would also help.  In my opinion that would be someone like one of the more polished and thorough Mods that run this forum, there are some really good ones.

That said, it doesn't justify any of the disingenuous actions of that reviewer. :mellow: 

I like the way Admin does his own style communication.

The review in question reads like a false appreciation and has no worth, that was my impression which has only increased with the oh scandal and certain posts being removed by the OP.

Every Dog Rat has its day I suppose.

Inks Topic on the Hub should be pinned and closed to comment (imho).

http://steamcommunity.com/app/311310/discussions/1/312265672109433338/

I get you don't like negative reviews, but premium ships are real and will be released. You even said so yourself. Please stop lying to the community. You're calling someone out that made a review for providing false information, but it's not actually false information is it? If premium ships are no longer going to be introduced then you're at fault for never setting the record straight. No, you'd rather accuse someone of lying and sweep the review under the rug.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/6451-are-premium-ships-rumors-real/page-1?hl=premium%20ships

Post number 6

I quote directly from that post:

Premium ships are not rumors and they were discussed extensively before. 

Premium vessels provide the opportunity for Captains to express their gratitude and give an option to support us financially even more, and allow us to give them something special in return. You should consider them donations or patronage.

Volunteer moderators and community managers who we plan to recruit on forums will also receive special gifts in form of vessels that no-one else will have. 

Vessels that no-one else will have. Sounds pretty much like premium ships for moderators and the likes.

See http://imgur.com/a/Sm0Y5for a picture of said post.

Let me also say that him removing replies from his review is a shitty thing to do, but most of the things he talks about are things that have happened and are real. You did ask for people to write positive reviews. No player of a game is going to write a negative review at your request when you say that a positive review will make you 'work harder'

Premium ships are real as per your post.

You did say you would pull a future feature because you got all annoyed at criticism, and saying that it doesn't reflect company policy is again a cop out. You need to exercise more control on your admins, rather than letting them post that kind of shit.

Constructive criticism is welcome, but the moment someone has some constructive criticism that doesn't fit into your view for this game, rather than telling them as much you get all condescending and aggressive, hence people get the impression their criticism is not welcome.

Threatening to ban someone over trolling is also a ridiculously aggressive move. You could just mute them, or remove their access to the help channel, unless your interface doesn't allow for simple things like that.

Edited by Maxus

Volunteer moderators and community managers who we plan to recruit on forums will also receive special gifts in form of vessels that no-one else will have. 

Vessels that no-one else will have. Sounds pretty much like premium ships for moderators and the likes.

See http://imgur.com/a/Sm0Y5for a picture of said post.

First - we never edit or delete our posts as we always say the truth. If you always say the truth you will never have to remember what you said to be able to explain it later. 

Same with this message. That post was made in 2015 which was long before the steam launch (check the post date). Since then a lot have changed for example we did not have crafting in july 2015 and now we have crafting, buildings and trading. 

The message you linked does not sound at all like the premium ships. Premium ship = the ship you can buy for money. 

A gift is not a ship that you can buy for money.

There are no premium ships for moderators and there will be none. 

First - we never edit or delete our posts as we always say the truth. If you always say the truth you will never have to remember what you said to be able to explain it later. 

Same with this message. That post was made in 2015 which was long before the steam launch (check the post date). Since then a lot have changed for example we did not have crafting in july 2015 and now we have crafting, buildings and trading. 

The message you linked does not sound at all like the premium ships. Premium ship = the ship you can buy for money. 

A gift is not a ship that you can buy for money.

There are no premium ships for moderators and there will be none. 

Noun[edit]

premium ‎(plural premiums or premia)

1. prize or award.
  2. Something offered at a reduced price as an inducement to buy something else.
  3. bonus paid in addition to normal payments.
  4. The amount to be paid for an insurance policy.
  5. An unusually high value.
  6. (finance) The amount by which a security's value exceeds its face value.

An Award they receive because they are moderators, a badge of honour for helping out the community? Sounds like premium to me. Pretty much all you were able to do is try to argue with a dictionary, and yet didn't even bother looking up the definition. I'm not even opposed to the idea that they get shit for free that nobody else has, as they have dedicated their time to helping you out, but don't say it's a lie when it clearly isn't.

And yes that post was old, but you never once set the record straight in a new topic or a new post, but then you call someone a liar for pointing that out? That's on YOU and nobody else. If you make such a statement and then expect people to know you changed your mind without ever informing people, then it's your own fault when people use the information that is available to them.

Edited by Maxus

Noun[edit]

premium ‎(plural premiums or premia)

1. prize or award.
  2. Something offered at a reduced price as an inducement to buy something else.
  3. bonus paid in addition to normal payments.
  4. The amount to be paid for an insurance policy.
  5. An unusually high value.
  6. (finance) The amount by which a security's value exceeds its face value.

An Award they receive because they are moderators, a badge of honour for helping out the community? Sounds like premium to me. Pretty much all you were able to do is try to argue with a dictionary, and yet didn't even bother looking up the definition. I'm not even opposed to the idea that they get shit for free that nobody else has, as they have dedicated their time to helping you out, but don't say it's a lie when it clearly isn't.

Moving the goalposts will not help you with this.. Everyone knows what premium reviewer was talking about

the negative premium connotation refers only to one type of premium

Which is Pay - to - Win or Buy for real money and not available otherwise. 

Basically available through micro transactions ONLY.

Because the reviewer inserted that into Microtransactions section of his review.. Everyone understood clearly he meant premium (buy for real money). Which is FALSE as there are no premium ships for mods, not a single one was given and will never be given .

Sorry my dear moderators and forum volunteers  :)

Statement 2. Exclusive special ships for moderators and testers

The author claimed that there are some mystical premium ships planned for testers and moderators.

This is not true.

There are no special ships for moderators. Everyone who plays the early access edition is a tester. Every tester (every player who bought the game in the early access game) will receive the reward for helping us find and fix bugs and fine tune content.

This was your response to his review. 

http://imgur.com/a/Sm0Y5

This post says there are special ships for moderators and that premium ships will happen.

So you're arguing that they won't have to pay for them and this somehow makes your criticism of his review valid?

This was in his review:

They are on their way in the form of "premium ships" special ships you can't get your hands on unless you buy them in addition to the already expensive game. As a game with a large pvp element, I don't need to tell you how detrimental this will be to the balance of the already unbalanced game. Special ships exclusive to "testers" and "moderators" are also under consideration.

Granted the title of the section was maybe not entirely correct, but how exactly does it take away from the fact that:

1. You will offer premium ships

2. You will offer exclusive ships to moderators.

Yet in your OP you said there will not be special ships for moderators and that the reviews is lying, but his review was made using all the information available when it comes to this point.

So what's true?

Will there be premium ships?

Will moderators get free ships?

Will moderators get exclusive ships they have to pay for?

None of the above?

And rather than, as an adult, say: EDITED FOR PROFANITY And then contact the reviewer to explain this to him, you decide to go on some sort of crusade which reflects badly on future consumers and giving even more press to a negative review.

Edited by admin

Statement 2. Exclusive special ships for moderators and testers

The author claimed that there are some mystical premium ships planned for testers and moderators.

This is not true.

There are no special ships for moderators. Everyone who plays the early access edition is a tester. Every tester (every player who bought the game in the early access game) will receive the reward for helping us find and fix bugs and fine tune content.

This was your response to his review. 

http://imgur.com/a/Sm0Y5

This post says there are special ships for moderators and that premium ships will happen.

So you're arguing that they won't have to pay for them and this somehow makes your criticism of his review valid?

Thats not the point. It does not work like you say. People see Microtransaction section and see a BIG RED FLAG. whatever is said in that section creates an impression that it refers to microtransations. He did not call the section exclusive ships or gift ships.. he called it =Microtransactions=

So instead of posting links to posts from 2015 - we challenge you to just post a screenshot of any moderator sailing a premium vessel or an exclusive vessel that was given to them. Or post links to a message that says that we plan to give special premium vessels to mods. 

Regarding your suggestion on contacting the reviewer.. the community tried to point these facts to the reviewer in comments. But he just deletes everything.. so we don't believe constrictive two way communication is possible. 

Thats not the point. It does not work like you say. People see Microtransaction section and see a BIG RED FLAG. whatever is said in that section creates an impression that it refers to microtransations. 

So instead of posting links to posts from 2015 - we challenge you to just post a screenshot of any moderator sailing a premium vessel or an exclusive vessel that was given to them. Or post a message that says that we plan to give special premium vessels to mods. 

Regarding your suggestion on contacting the reviewer.. the community tried to point these facts to the reviewer in comments. BUT HE DELETES ALL OF THEM. ALL. 

Actually you did say in your 2015 post that you were planning on offering premium vessels and that people should view it as a donation. Afterwards you never made a post saying that was no longer on the table, whether or not they are in the game right now. This is exactly what micro transactions are and it is indeed a big red flag and should be. You also said in that post that moderators would get exclusive ships.

MY POINT IS you NEVER made a post saying this would NO LONGER be the case and then go insane when someone mentions it in a review. 

There are currently no premium or exclusive ships.

My question still goes unanswered which I find baffling when you're so concerned about microtransactions.

Will there be premium ships? (Yes or No)

Will there be exclusive moderator ships? (Yes or No)

Will mods have to pay for these ships? (Yes, No or Not applicable)

And if you don't know, then say it. As long as you don't make an official statement that the post from 2015 is no longer relevant and that microtransactions will not happen, people will assume it WILL happen and the review and whatever is said in it is completely irrelevant at that point.

Your developer comment is still there. You could've added him to your friends list and informed him and asked him to change the review now that he had the correct information.

Edited by Maxus

Actually you did say in your 2015 post that you were planning on offering premium vessels and that people should view it as a donation. Afterwards you never made a post saying that was no longer on the table, whether or not they are in the game right now. This is exactly what micro transactions are and it is indeed a big red flag and should be. You also said in that post that moderators would get exclusive ships.

MY POINT IS you NEVER made a post saying this would NO LONGER be the case and then go insane when someone mentions it in a review. 

There are currently no premium or exclusive ships.

My question still goes unanswered which I find baffling when you're so concerned about microtransactions.

This topic is our response to the review. 

The review has multiple false statements in it. Just one false statement is enough to question the whole review. But it has more than one.

You can judge it by the fact that you are given a voice here and question our statements (which the reviewer says its impossible). While the reviewer does not let the community to do so. 

It does not matter to me what else he says or what points he raises that might be valid if he uses false statements to exaggerate them.

In terms of the questions you asked you seem to have researched the forum well. You can find all the answers on the forum and ask them in the respective topics, because you have the right to share your opinions on this forum.

This topic only refers to false statements in the above mentioned review and we will only discuss them in this topic.

If you insist we can continue discussing premium ship for mods if you provide evidence that it happened or evidence that micro transaction based ships were promised to be provided for mods or will unbalance pvp like the reviewer claims.

This topic is our response to the review. 

The review has multiple false statements in it. Just one false statement is enough to question the whole review. But it has more than one.

You can judge it by the fact that you are given a voice here and question our statements (which the reviewer says its impossible). While the reviewer does not let the community to do so. 

It does not matter to me what else he says or what points he raises that might be valid if he uses false statements to exaggerate them.

In terms of the questions you asked you seem to have researched the forum well. You can find all the answers on the forum and ask them in the respective topics, because you have the right to share your opinions on this forum.

This topic only refers to false statements in the above mentioned review and we will only discuss them in this topic. 

So, I guess, rather than setting the record straight in a place where people that read the steam review might come and look you're going to bury your head in the sand and hope it goes away. That's not how online press works.

Rather than saying black on white 'micro-transactions are (not) going to happen' you're going to leave it to the reader of the review to decide whether or not it might happen based on your answers here, which have been ambiguous at best. 

The only thing you said in the OP was that ships for moderators won't happen. That leaves people wondering: 'So mods won't get special ships, but micro-transactions might still happen'

Why exactly were you so angry at the mention of micro-transactions then?

Anyway, good luck handling press in the future. I'd advise you to consider talking to an expert or even someone who has experience with this, as right now you're making one negative review into a very big mess.

Edited by Maxus

if Admin were to give over communication to someone more unattached to development and also more polished in communication, then that would also help.  In my opinion that would be someone like one of the more polished and thorough Mods that run this forum, there are some really good ones.

That said, it doesn't justify any of the disingenuous actions of that reviewer. :mellow:

Much of the issue actually seems to stem purely from the fact that English is not admin's first language. If nothing else then having a native speaker proof read stuff to say 'hey, you know this statement can be interpreted in a really bad way?' would have avoided much of the fuss about this review. People will seize on any ambiguous comment and twist it, it's a game admin and the devs need to learn to play rather than continually throwing the trolls and haters ammunition.

Edited by Ratline

So, I guess, rather than setting the record straight in a place where people that read the steam review might come and look you're going to bury your head in the sand and hope it goes away. That's not how online press works.

Rather than saying black on white 'micro-transactions are (not) going to happen' you're going to leave it to the reader of the review to decide whether or not it might happen based on your answers here, which have been ambiguous at best. 

The goal of this thread is to point to the false statements in the review that might mislead the reader. We are openly challenging those statements in this thread and it is the opposite of burying the head in the sand. If the reviewer did not sprinkle his review with misleading information this thread would not exist. 

In terms of discussing micro transactions with the community the decisions have not been made and the game has no premium content currently. The review itself linked one of the discussions. But because the reviewer goal was not to provide objective information he had to resort to false statements to show us as very bad guys. That is why he does not discuss the game much and focuses on some forum comments as his base of evidence.

Much of the issue actually seems to stem purely from the fact that English is not admin's first language. If nothing else then having a native speaker proof read stuff to say 'hey, you know this statement can be interpreted in a really bad way?' would have avoided much of the fuss about this review. People will seize on any ambiguous comment and twist it, it's a game admin and the devs need to learn to play rather than continually throwing the trolls and haters ammunition.

We prefer direct communication with players, some people don't like it. But it helps us to work faster and see problems immediately. We are players and talk to users as players not as some cold distanced devs who talk to users through press releases and youtube interviews.

First post and link to first ever Steam review. Haters are gonna hate and lovers are gonna love. http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198062190098/recommended/311310/

I couldn't have wrote a better review myself. I am in the same opinion about the game as you are Flashcrow. Haters are going to hate and lovers are going to love. I just love the game!