Game-Labs Forum
admin

Response to a review

Sir Texas Sir    3,661

If this is his opinion, he is free to post it. The devs are free to post a comment on his review. But even To think his review must be corrected is disgusting.

If he got smth wrong Just put it right.

The problem is the guy wrote a very long review that is top of reviews that many people will see first.  He got a lot of folks that don't even play the game to come over and up the review.   If you say anything negative or give actual facts to counter his review he will delete your comment.   Many of us a good while ago added counter points that proved his review mostly false in content and he removed all those comments.

Oh and I heard some where the guy only had all those hours on PvE and didn't even play on either of the PvP servers....lol

Sir Texas Sir    3,661

Saying the "game is bad" in the review is the opinion and must be respected

But 

Saying the game has special secret premium ships for mods is just a lie. You can't put it right. It must be reported by the community for removal.

There is one ship though that is a given out and that was the Yatch, but it's not like it's something super special.  It's what just a cutter pretty much with a different skin for the most part?   Hell I haven't seen one in ages for the most part.

I would prefer to look at it this way....

From the great movie "Hoosiers", 1986:

Look, mister, there's... two kinds of dumb, uh... guy that gets naked and runs out in the snow and barks at the moon, and, uh, guy who does the same thing in my living room. First one don't matter, the second one you're kinda forced to deal with.

Steam is their living room.

Honestly I don't get what do you mean... Why you don't express yourself in a more plain way? Hhahhaa

squedage    89

There is one ship though that is a given out and that was the Yatch, but it's not like it's something super special.  It's what just a cutter pretty much with a different skin for the most part?   Hell I haven't seen one in ages for the most part.

that ship is real???? i have played for a year and never seen 1.

Lonar    164

My suggestion,

-give away free ships to all players with every patch, so we can test them and be happy. (Wipe will happen anyway.)

-add tons of loot and link it to delivery missions for greater rewards. Fleet and be happy. (I have my 300 ton frigate and all I get is Fish)? really?

-add pvp marks for player kills and have an exchange for rare items and ships. Kill and be happy.

-leaderboards. Show people how good you are and be cool!

Iam really not shure if Irony or not :unsure: ....

Edited by Lonar

jw62    25

I think the Devs are doing a great job, I'm just a professional sailor and boat builder and not a pro-gamer, and I only spent three years before the mast of a "Tall Ship", and was only the first mate of a passenger schooner before going into building full time and single handing, so what the hell do I know?

I've got a couple of posts up that state my likes and dislikes, but for the most part, as someone who has seen through large projects from design to launch and trials, who draws it, carpenters it, wires it, rigs it, and runs crews who fiberglass or weld it, when I''m not laying on the dolphinite and screwing/lagging/ring-nailing it myself, it takes a lot to pull off a big high quality project that has to sell to a broad range of players, has to run on a broad range of machines, has to deal with idiots who don't wait to find out a few things (we all get that way from time to time), and then what, all you workers want to get paid? I thought you were here for the glory!!

So if I had a point, and I just spent a whole day doing all of the above and my feet are wet, it is to say that you all need to back off the negativity stuff, there's folk working here, and if they are kind enough to give us a taste and allow us to comment, let's wait for the final product before calling for the lynch mobs. (on that note, you better forget yesterday mornings rant on lack of smugglers, they showed back up, thanks, lol)

I have played a good amount of computer games, and the production values here are really top notch, and as a sailor, this game is a lot of fun when I'm stuck on land, or when I just need to air my brains out. I can't wait for the land in port battles, and I like that I see comments here on the forums turned into real parts of the game. I hacked and game modeled back when we first broke open Fleet Command, I own the software so why not, So I was with the team that got Sonalysts to open the code for us, and these Devs are doing all a gamer could ask.

I think the game still needs more content and a lot of tweaking, but that is the point of early access.

Jean Ribault    844

So if I had a point, and I just spent a whole day doing all of the above and my feet are wet, it is to say that you all need to back off the negativity stuff, there's folk working here, and if they are kind enough to give us a taste and allow us to comment,...

If that was really your point, you posted in the wrong location.  Everyone here was praising the devs for their work.  What thread are you reading?  The negativism referred to was on the Steam website.  :unsure:

Edited by Jean Ribault

Wicked Mouse    274

That's because hardly anyone that has it uses it. Free basic cutter is easier alternative. Everyone who bought the game before and at the launch of Steam Early Access has one that can be redeemed at any time.

Brogsitter    242

The yacht was given out for preorders.

Sir Texas Sir    3,661

They are unicorns.  Kinda like the Spanish players on PvP2.

The yacht was given out for preorders.

Yah any one that bought the game through paypal.  I was going to but was off on a job and by time I got back in town they went live with the STEAM EA so I didn't get one.

I will be repeating this many times, Devs have to reward players. 80% of people don't want changes in their lives and same applies here. Players like to collect stupid things. People are impatient and they want cool things now because they paid money for it. You have to balance things out. If you still don't realize it, then you should definitely look into it and see how you can benefit from it. 

My suggestion,

-give away free ships to all players with every patch, so we can test them and be happy. (Wipe will happen anyway.)

-add tons of loot and link it to delivery missions for greater rewards. Fleet and be happy. (I have my 300 ton frigate and all I get is Fish)? really?

-add pvp marks for player kills and have an exchange for rare items and ships. Kill and be happy.

-leaderboards. Show people how good you are and be cool!

It will keep all us happy until the wipe. Stay neutral and rage will go on, trust me. It feels like you forgot about PvE crowd and things they like to do. If I was you I would use things listed ^ as my secret weapon and do an unexpected massive come back.  ;)

This game is awesome, but unfortunately it's a puzzle that shattered into many pieces. 

All good points except I hate learderboards.   I mean it lets folks know who are the best players and that starts to become a big "WHO HAS THE BIGGEST D&&&&" contest.    That and folks will find out I'm just some average player...lol

Though there are a few times I wished we had them.  Ever notice the guys that like to talk the most smack in global or even battles are most the time the worse players around.  So other than screen shots you can't really prove it to others.   a Stat board would let folks know just how bad a player really is or just how good they are.  Not to mentoin stats never tell the whole story.  I know folks that are great players but they die a lot.  Reaons they do is cause they get ganked alot and don't run, but they will stay and fight even if the odds area against them so a K/W ratio vs Death might not give a full story of how good they are compared to some one with really high kills but all they do is baby seal club to get that high number.  So in the long run it's prob just better to not have any stats for players shown other than maybe you being able to see your own stats in game only.

Wicked Mouse    274

To come back at the general issue here of a review that accumilated enough momentum to be in the top recommended ones, yet sprouts such an unpleasant amount of untruthfulness that it makes developers uneasy about its existance. However I think, as done here, the best reaction to it would be to kindfully respond with a link to your reply and keep it that way. Flagging it as "off-topic" or any other way only fuels the fire that which you attempt to extinguish. As shown in the comments of the respectful "review", if you can call it that, such actions only underline their suspicions of censorship and what not, as only all the comments that go against the review are filtered out by the reviewer. Best is not putting any more energy into this matter, other than what you have done with this thread. Because anything you put energy in to will 'grow', figuratively speaking. So whether this is positive energy or negative you will make it bigger than it was. Good things become better, bad things become worse.

So now you've laid it all down and wrote the post, I'd recommend to get it out of your system and focus on things that matter more and lift you up, like developing the game you envisioned to make, rather than the things that bring you down.

admin    28,100

To come back at the general issue here of a review that accumilated enough momentum to be in the top recommended ones, yet sprouts such an unpleasant amount of untruthfulness that it makes developers uneasy about its existance. However I think, as done here, the best reaction to it would be to kindfully respond with a link to your reply and keep it that way. Flagging it as "off-topic" or any other way only fuels the fire that which you attempt to extinguish. As shown in the comments of the respectful "review", if you can call it that, such actions only underline their suspicions of censorship and what not, as only all the comments that go against the review are filtered out by the reviewer. 

The review is flagged so he cannot change it. Captain Seven (author of the review) already did it before and changed wordings several times rewording and removing some of the blatant misrepresentations he made. its just better to lock him out from editing so everyone sees that he is not truthful. 

Wicked Mouse    274

The review is flagged so he cannot change it. Captain Seven (author of the review) already did it before and changed wordings several times rewording and removing some of the blatant misrepresentations he made. its just better to lock him out from editing so everyone sees that he is not truthful. 

Ah, I did not know that. Thanks for the clarification. That explains indeed the reasons for doing so.

Sir Texas Sir    3,661

Ah, I did not know that. Thanks for the clarification. That explains indeed the reasons for doing so.

He would also delete any one that post something that isn't in the same view as his post so that way it's nothing but folks that agree with him.

Ronald Speirs    336

I wrote my review quite some time ago not recommending it at that point, i havent played the game in awhile now as i havent liked where it has been heading and it is so frustrating to even enjoy, maybe later down the track i can gain a love for it again once solid structures and a reliable/ stable economic system to work with that will eventually tie the game together properly.

The good thing is that there is still progression so its always nice to take a break and refresh playing other games then come back and explore the new features.

Yar Matey    760

Well, after reading this and actually looking through the reviews, I feel somewhat irritated as it seems that people are just steam review bombing this game.  Anyway, here is my positive review of your game, and I hope it makes you developers feel better.  Maybe we can drowned out the negative reviews of this game by voting yes to "is this review helpful" on positive reviews.  It appears that some of these negative posts, after reading many of them, just have some sort of gripe with the staff and not with the actual game itself. 

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197980082424/recommended/311310

Rickard    308

it is treu that the devs team has done nothing to stop the plumiting of the player base.

further more i regret that some plans for development wich where first drawn-up have been in some cases thrown away and that the focus of the devs team has shifted to less important features. and when implanting important features doing it wrong and having to re-do the feature........

admin    28,100

it is treu that the devs team has done nothing to stop the plumiting of the player base.

further more i regret that some plans for development wich where first drawn-up have been in some cases thrown away and that the focus of the devs team has shifted to less important features. and when implanting important features doing it wrong and having to re-do the feature........

Our reply focuses on lies and false claims - not reviewer displeasure with development speed. 

If you read our reply again we never countered that statement from his review. Slow speed might be true but it is caused by the open development. We work on what community wants. Two circles and roe changes was a community request, new regions were based on a community proposals, harder crafting was a community proposal. The only thing last patch that was forced by us was crew damage because we like it. The features you think are less important are important to others.

Thats pure early access open development - if you want to influence development its your chance. And plummeting player base is a non issue. The closer we are to asset wipes the less people will play. Expect lower online. Nobody will want to invest time if assets will be reset (maybe a couple of times)

So if his review only focused on player base and open development drawbacks we would take no issue with it. We would welcome it as with all reviews previously. But he lied in it.. We never lied to players and it is a two way street.

Eldberg    266

Greetings Captain Admin,

Just for your record, so you know exactly who I am, I was Stephen Decatur. I'm going to take this open letter to the community as an opportunity to respond to some of your concerns, take it as you like, but it is all meant with good will.

Statement 1: “constructive criticism is not welcome”.

There are of course always people who will shout "Your game is rubbish (choose whatever word you want here" while providing no reasons as to why. This of course is not useful in any way as it gives your team no indication in to what areas need to be improved. As someone who has been on the end of your whacking stick as well as your good side at some point, I might have a unique light to shine on this statement.

There have been times, when perhaps you were upset over something, that you have responded to valid constructive criticism with a heavy hand. I can understand that this is your baby and you care about it very much, but sometimes it may be wise to take a breather, think about your response, type it out, then read it with your feet in the public's shoes. Sometimes it is not what you say, but HOW you say it.

Sadly, there are many players and ex-players in the community that feel that you are not an approachable person. This is not a one off comment, there are many people who feel that the way developer/public relations are bad. Perhaps there is something you can do to change that over time?

Statement 2. Exclusive special ships for moderators and testers

There have been times in the past where specific individuals have been given access to ships, the latest example being the Heavy Rattlesnake. I know there were a fair amount of people upset over, perhaps this is what he is talking about?

Statement 3: False steam reviews and developer bribery

I believe your words were along the lines of "If the bad reviews continue, the music will stop playing". There have been several posts you've made that have inferred more content, but you have never confirmed anything. Perhaps this is just down to a poor choice of words? 

Statement 4: Bans for trolling new players in help chat.

m000I5K.png

Again, you were perhaps a little upset over the reception of the latest patch, and lashed out a little hastily? Not everyone is on the forums, not everyone can see this warning, and you would have them banned for speculating over a mechanic that you did not verify to the users? Wait, think, write, think again. 

Statement 5: On the removal of the feature based on comments

You threatened the delaying of content to a player who made a comment regarding their displeasure for the content included in a patch. Wait, think, write, think again. 

To conclude, what I see here is a developer who is very passionate about his game. On occasion, you have allowed emotion to sometimes overcome sense, which in some cases has led to a very public ugly mess (A few  Spanish players are still incredibly angry about some rather tongue in cheek comments you made last year and didn't apologise). You are the face of Naval Action, you are the person that players look to on the forums for sound advice and updates for a game that they love to play. Like a politician, if you say something bad out of emotion, people will remember it. My only advice to you is grin through the anger or sadness when someone criticises your game, respond calmly, in a non emotional written post.

You have a game with big potential, and listening to what your community wants and interpretation feedback will help your game reach that potential. While you set out with something specific in mind, remember plans always change, if you have to change something or remove it entirely because it doesn't work, then it was a part of the game that was never destined to be.

Keep up the hard work! :)

Edited by Eldberg

admin    28,100

Statement 4: Bans for trolling new players in help chat.

m000I5K.png

Again, you were perhaps a little upset over the reception of the latest patch, and lashed out a little hastily? Not everyone is on the forums, not everyone can see this warning, and you would have them banned for speculating over a mechanic that you did not verify to the users? 

We said this to certain people (and they know who they are). That statement referred to trolling new players in help chat telling them that they can click on a certain button saving their ship. Its not our goal to make everyone understand what is said to whom. It maybe taken out of context in private conversation but the reviewer is basing the whole section on this. We believe that new players will appreciate that they are not losing ships to death by trolling veterans. I still stand by my statement - perhaps wording is not clear to an outsider. But it was clear to whom it was said.

In addition to that we will continue cleaning chat from abuse, personal attacks racism and real life threats. If someone thinks games should not do it NA its not for them. It just wont fit with the "i can say what i want crowd".  

admin    28,100

Statement 2. Exclusive special ships for moderators and testers

There have been times in the past where specific individuals have been given access to ships, the latest example being the Heavy Rattlesnake. I know there were a fair amount of people upset over, perhaps this is what he is talking about?

Please post a screenshot of a tester or a mod sailing a premium ship, or post any other proof that shows that there will be premium ships for moderators. The reviewer claimed it in the micro transaction topic and said we have premium vessels planned for mods or maybe even have them.. 

Heavy rattlesnake is not a premium ship you can buy it in game for in game money or steal it from another player. Its widely available for a good price.

Same with tournament ships - everyone had a chance to get them AND tournament was a community driven event. Multiple other ships were given, replaced or just presented to everyone as gifts. Bucentaure second rate for example (which a reviewer called no-content ship)

admin    28,100

Greetings Captain Admin,

Just for your record, so you know exactly who I am, I was Stephen Decatur. I'm going to take this open letter to the community as an opportunity to respond to some of your concerns, take it as you like, but it is all meant with good will.

Statement 1: “constructive criticism is not welcome”.

There are of course always people who will shout "Your game is rubbish (choose whatever word you want here" while providing no reasons as to why. This of course is not useful in any way as it gives your team no indication in to what areas need to be improved. As someone who has been on the end of your whacking stick as well as your good side at some point, I might have a unique light to shine on this statement.

There have been times, when perhaps you were upset over something, that you have responded to valid constructive criticism with a heavy hand. I can understand that this is your baby and you care about it very much, but sometimes it may be wise to take a breather, think about your response, type it out, then read it with your feet in the public's shoes. Sometimes it is not what you say, but HOW you say it.

Sadly, there are many players and ex-players in the community that feel that you are not an approachable person. This is not a one off comment, there are many people who feel that the way developer/public relations are bad. Perhaps there is something you can do to change that over time?

There are perhaps several types of constructive criticism. One of them might be harsher than we want to accept.

For example saying, crafting sucks this is what needs to be done - is constructive. Saying crafting sucks developers are idiots is not constructive to us and might be considered constructive in some country which culture we don't understand.. 

We are very approachable to everyone, unless they start to discuss us as people instead of the game as a game, or do something worse.. For example we might seem very unapproachable to people who try to doxx others on this forum and post their personal details in public. 

Black Spawn    441

Please post a screenshot of a tester or a mod sailing a premium ship, or post any other proof that shows that there will be premium ships for moderators. The reviewer claimed it in the micro transaction topic and said we have premium vessels planned for mods or maybe even have them.. 

Heavy rattlesnake is not a premium ship you can buy it in game for in game money or steal it from another player. Its widely available for a good price.

Same with tournament ships - everyone had a chance to get them AND tournament was a community driven event. Multiple other ships were given, replaced or just presented to everyone as gifts. Bucentaure second rate for example (which a reviewer called no-content ship)

"Special ships exclusive to "testers" and "moderators" are also under consideration."

That statement is just wrong - i agree.

But he did never say that they already might have premium ships as you say right now. And you cant deny that some kind of premium ships are planed for the future - what is the quintessence of the statement.

We said this to certain people (and they know who they are). That statement referred to trolling new players in help chat telling them that they can click on a certain button saving their ship. Its not our goal to make everyone understand what is said to whom.  In addition to that we will continue cleaning chat from abuse, personal attacks racism and real life threats. If someone thinks games should not do it NA its not for them. It just wont fit with the "i can say what i want crowd". 

"Another situation came about because the developers decided to add a feature called the "pray button" in their monthly "content" patch, players logged into the game, with no information in the patch notes as to what the pray button did, leading people to speculate on the forums, because people were speculating wrongly, the developers called these players trolls and called for them to be banned"

so his statement is correct.