Game-Labs Forum

Poll to Change the Word "Clan" to...

Change the Word "Clan" to...  

525 members have voted

1. 1. What is a better English word to describe permanent player groups in Naval Action?

I voted 'Flotilla', but 'Armada' or 'Guild' would work too.
Honestly, after I think about it, 'Guild' or 'Company would make more sense.

I see the majority voted 'Fleet'.
If it is changed to 'Fleet', then any in-game mentions of 'Fleet' would have to be changed. Otherwise more confusion.
People don't seem to understand that a fleet is a group of ships. A fleet needs harbours, trade guilds for supplies, manufacturing companies, etc.
Fleet is fine if you're only a group of ships and nothing else.

Just my thoughts.
Let me know what you think.

I really don't mind it being a "clan". In any pursuit of immersion and realism one needs to remember - that this is an MMO, and you will end up seeing frigates parked on top of a nearby church. Not to mention people will talk, laugh, joke and have fun. Not in the immersion-correct manner.

Stop ruining my immersion, Galileus!

Company, Society, or Guild.

A "fleet" feels like a purely military organization (I know there can be trade fleets too, just saying what associations the stand-alone word "fleet" gives) which wouldn't even get to decide its own purpose or orders since they'd be a puppet/tool of the admiralty. Quite unsuitable for players that make their own fate.

• Like 1

We have no preference to this and will change it if the community decides they do not like the word clan

My personal opinion: Clan is completely unthematic and, as an American, has always had very uncomfortable connotations to our very unfortunate history of racial discrimination and a specific group of terrorists who attempted to enforce racial prejudice through violence and coercion.

So, anything but clan would be better, especially something that was actually naval.

I voted for Fleet.

Edited by surfimp

I agree that Clan is not appropriate. I went with Fleet, as that's the most inclusive of traders, explorers, combat ships, etc. 

It always annoyed me that World of Warships called groups of ships "Platoons". How tacky, unimaginative, and incorrect.  :rolleyes:

Edited by weissenwulf
  • Like 1

I disagree with the most popular option, namely "Fleet" because that term has already a clear signification in game, namely either those 2 little fleet members you can hire or used as a term to describe a group of ships, be it a bunch of players or an NPC fleet composed of several ships.

Very much this. It will simply cause confusion to use the same term for yet another thing, and would be a terrible decision from a design and accessibility point of view. Unfortunately the votes in this thread feel like a typical case of "Don't listen to the voters because they don't know what's best for them."

Edited by Inkompetent

Very much this. It will simply cause confusion to use the same term for yet another thing, and would be a terrible decision from a design and accessibility point of view. Unfortunately the votes in this thread feel like a typical case of "Don't listen to the voters because they don't know what's best for them."

It would be easy to re-name the current ad hoc groups of NPC or player ships that you refer to as "Squadrons", which would be much more historically accurate for a group of 2-8 ships than the current usage of Fleet.

Then the word "Fleet" could - quite appropriately - replace the word "clan" to refer to the much larger groups of players who don't always "squadron up" but are part of the same permanent group and nation.

Done and done. The game is still in EA and I don't think any of the current player base would need more than a week to adjust, and probably less.

Edited by surfimp
  • Like 1

It would be easy to re-name the current ad hoc groups of NPC or player ships that you refer to as "Squadrons", which would be much more historically accurate for a group of 2-8 ships than the current usage of Fleet.

Then the word "Fleet" could - quite appropriately - replace the word "clan" to refer to the much larger groups of players who don't always "squadron up" but are part of the same permanent group and nation.

Done and done. The game is still in EA and I don't think any of the current player base would need more than a week to adjust, and probably less.

I agree that the concept of "fleet" for the AI ships one can bring can easily be changed. But it doesn't change the fact that the whole concept of the word "fleet" will be tricky to use for clans. Take for example "What fleet are you in?" when someone is in one of several groupings of ships about to take part in a series of port battles. Does the person asking the question ask about what clan the person is in, or does he ask about what group of ships he's with?

Since it would be very, very easy to avoid such confusion by naming clans something else than words that already have other meanings in a naval game, that would be the smart way to do it, rather than forcing people to start using some other word (and the wrong word) to describe a large group of warships.

Edited by Inkompetent

It's all semantic, ultimately, as there are numerous different and equally appropriate names for large and small groups of ships across the naval traditions of the countries involved.

So long as we all agree that a term used for describing a hierarchical structure of interrelated families is inappropriate.  :lol:

• Like 1

Fleet would kind of interfere with the way atleast we ( sweden ) use the word "fleet" atm. For example we currently may say "Is there any fleet hunting going?".

I agree that "clan" sounds "wrong". Clan is more suitable for first person shooters than anything else.

That's why I chose to go with the word "guild". It makes me feel more like a gang recruiting people over at the tavern.

• 1 month later...

We have no preference to this and will change it if the community decides they do not like the word clan

Any chance we'll be seeing "clan" change to "fleet" (clear winner of the poll), or any on the more appropriately fitting terms other than clan, in one of the future updates?

How about "Company"? It would also be nice if there was a couple options to choose from so the name of the clan could reflect it's focus: a clan concentrated on trading and production could call itself a "Guild" and a clan with mainly military interests could call itself "Squadron" etc. I think "clan" is a pretty silly term which doesn't really fit the setting and would definitely like to see that changed to pretty much anything else :)

• Like 2

The Dutch had five Admiralties (De Maze, Amsterdam, Friesland, Zeeland and Noorderkwartier) in their little country. We are already a bit in "fantasy modus" with a supposedly one admiralty per nation where we should sent ships to. So I really don't think the names are too important and for all I care we make them all their own admiralty.

Edited by Lytse Pier