Game-Labs Forum

Poll to Change the Word "Clan" to...

Change the Word "Clan" to...  

525 members have voted

1. 1. What is a better English word to describe permanent player groups in Naval Action?

• 2 weeks later...

Clansman - I don't mind the name as it means more scottish clansman to me than ninjas.

A scottish clan is a family as well as a fighting unit. It also trades as a company and pools resources.

It's also period correct if you are Scottish :P

culloden-jacobite.jpg

In nautical Terms though perhaps something that means both navy and merchant... nothing I can really think of does that. I would hate to use the term company because it reminds me of those rotten east and west Indian companies.

Squadron is too small

Flotilla would be ok but also is indicative of size too much.

Fleet is too naval... or is it? This could be ok as trading fleets were also a thing I would say. PErhaps not in this period though?

Guild smacks too much of land lubber merchants. Not naval or fighting at all.

How about two names for each organisation? One for the merchant arm and one for the naval arm. i.e. Navy\Merchant Fleet BIGNOSES

Navy\Merchant Fleet BIGNOSES is my suggestion

Less than 7% support for keeping 'Clan', with almost 460 votes cast. About time for a change?

I think so!

This strikes me too much as american style voting. i.e. The I's who have it are the only ones that bothered voting so of course they win.

• 2 weeks later...

This strikes me too much as american style voting. i.e. The I's who have it are the only ones that bothered voting so of course they win.

The devs indicated that they were willing to change it, and this thread demonstrates that the majority of people who cared to think about the topic agree that "clan" is misused in the Naval Action context.

I think we're well overdue for the change and I hope it's implemented soon. Clan is a ridiculous name for anything related to the age of sail, IMHO.

• Like 1

Why don't the clans decide what they want to call themselves? If a clan is a trader clan then they can call themselves the "something something society"

and if it's a clan that bases themselves out of a certain area then they can call themselves the "something something flotilla"

• Like 2

Give the person who makes it the option of what is it called

I will like to refloat this idea somewhat,  maybe the best option is offering a list of names to choose at creation to maintain "flavour" and show organization interest.

(i.e   guild, company for crafters , brotherhood, covenant for pirates....)  for better result having them in the name of the country (as ranks are) could be a wellcome addition. 

We have no preference to this and will change it if the community decides they do not like the word clan

Dear Admin, we love you, and have decided that we do not like the word "clan"

Please change to one of the democratically selected alternatives!

XOXO,

The users ;)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I disagree with the most popular option, namely "Fleet" because that term has already a clear signification in game, namely either those 2 little fleet members you can hire or used as a term to describe a group of ships, be it a bunch of players or an NPC fleet composed of several ships.

The usage of "fleet" for two little fleet members would be better and much more accurate as "squardron", IMO.

• Like 1

I vote for Society! And concerning pirates I vote for the not mentioned Brotherhood :D

A Pirate's a Crew. Nothing else.

So in a nutshell the pirate clan would be summarized by the creator name + crew, such as

Captain Nukenin's Crew.

And yes, for notoriety reasons there would be a thousand Crews, slightly 900 more than IRL but yeah :)

Obviously for romantic reasons and literary value Brotherhood, Brethren, etc would fit but I rather keep it to the point.

• 1 year later...
On 05.02.2016 at 3:00 PM, admin said:

We have no preference to this and will change it if the community decides they do not like the word clan

As we are in year 2018, and the poll results are obvious, when are you going to change it ? How many man hour will it cost ? I can give you guys some labour contracts if you need ;)

4 minutes ago, Busterbloodvessel said:

Not quite the correct interpretation being that 92% want a name other than Clan. Nice troll.

Buster (loads his deck cannon)

did i say anything else? 

i just said that in my opinion 45% is not enough to change it :)

2 hours ago, Cortez said:

If i could, i would leave it to any bunch, which decides to play together, to call their "organisation" as they wish...

So, clan, fleet, company..

Any group of players can call them as they wish.

Otherwise we land here

That I agree, groups must have freedom to chose what they are.

Happy Traders Guild, Wolf Squadron, Captain Jack’s Crew, Red Fleet etc... But I personaly do not prefer Clan for this game.

2 minutes ago, AeRoTR said:

Happy Traders Guild, Wolf Squadron, Captain Jack’s Crew, Red Fleet etc.

That's the groups name already.

The Clan name item is the User Interface text. Instead of clan ( like in conquest windows ) have it to be changed to "insert best option here"

• Like 2