Game-Labs Forum

How are you picking character names?

Jon Allen

Well, take a material and food.

SteelSandwich :D

So, you can become Metalcabbage

EDIT:

Joking aside, it actually was a nickname/reputation that i had in a different game a long time ago. The ability to get myself into the fray/trouble, getting stuck there, and managing to come out of it just fine.

Edited by SteelSandwich

Main has and always will be "poison" or some very similar variant, any alt character will be made up on the spot with no real regards to a predetermined rule. Previous alternates on another age of sail MMO were things like "Manufacture" (solely a production alt), "NotAnotherStorageAlt (NASA for short, was simply a storage alt; this game has massive inventory issues) or "moon.moon" (spaces were not allowed, reason behind it is obvious; character was made for general tomfoolery).

Edit: To answer "why poison?" you'd have to go back in time to my early days of online gaming in Starcraft I and ask 8-9 year old me why I made a character named "poison_us". It was later shortened when I started playing the aforementioned MMO, since it also did not allow underscores. Now it's invariably "poison", less commonly "poison_us", or the like.

Edited by poison

I always dig for a person that is connected with the specific time period used in the game.
It's great when I can find a person that is also a Pole. (I'm from Poland).
This time I was very lucky, because I've found a great person with HUGE historical connections to this specific time period + he was a Pole! 

You'll be pleased with what you read:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice,_Count_de_Benyovszky

You can say he was a pirate once...

I'm probably going to roll with Fluffy Fishy although im tempted to pick a regional name with some historic basis but not much. Theoretically I could pick an old family member and roll around as a Pirate, it feels so good to have pirates in the bloodline. I quite fancy a Venetian style name sailing for the British.

Edited by Fluffy Fishy

My surname coincides with the (real world) commander of the ship named in my signature. As for the character name, Falcon was picked because i didn't initially know how the names were presented, and i figured it sounds okay for both a ship or a surname.

So Samuel Falcon was born, and I get to sail around on my ancestor's ship!

LOL!!! I had this whole big list of various names with many, that when it would be shown, in game above my ship that it would serve as a ship's name and not only as a marker of me as a player...

I also figured that many of my names on my list would already be taken...

The moment arrived when it was time to enter my choice and I reflexively entered a nickname I've had for a long time...

And it worked...

I marvel at some of the amazing names in game!! There are very inventive people out there playing this game!!

I'll be using my real name. It's highly unlikely to be taken and it's actually a famous name in the US Navy. Captain Franklin Butler Van Valkenburgh (a relative of mine) was the last commanding officer of USS Arizona (BB 39) at Pearl Harbor. They posthumously awarded him the Medal of Honor and named a Fletcher-class destroyer after him too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_Van_Valkenburgh

I prefer historical figures that, while relatively well known, are not so popular as to be immediately taken. :)

Exactly the same here.

Only funny enough Admiraal Jacob van Heemskerck wasn't taken (wich is almost par to Admiraal Bestevaêr Michiel Adriaenszoon de Ruyter) when i was one of the last batch of players who joined Naval Action the Verenigde Provinciën?

Michiel de Ruyter was obviously already taken ;).

Edited by Jacob van Heemskerck