Game-Labs Forum

Why I believe this game would be better as an Arena MMO

I, too, really believed in a hardcore OW game for a long time, but the more I think about it, the more sceptical I become. Since the first time I heard about this game, I've thought that it would be a gamble and extremely hard to pull off as a commercial success. I see this more as a project by some people who want to create the game THEY would like to play, as opposed to what would be commercially viable. Just like game creators did back in the good old days. I would never dream of asking the developers to abandon their dream/vision.

That being said, I don't think anything would be lost by providing an arena style game mode parallel to the OW game. I think the fear that the arena mode would "steal" or drain away players from the OW is unfounded. People not interested in OW are not going to play it just because there is no arena mode available. They'll play something else instead. It's more likely that the arena game mode would help funding the OW project.

I also don't like the condescending attitude of some posters towards arena games. The notion that they are shallow games for the dirty plebs of the gaming world is not only arrogant and self centered, it is also just plain wrong. Being a fan of a genre that attracts a minority does not make you some sort of elite or better kind of gamer. World of Tanks gameplay is some of the deepest I've seen in my 30 years of computer gaming and continues to fascinate me after 5 years of playing. I realize how shallow it must appear to most players since it is nearly impossible to get into it without dozens of hours of research on 3rd party forums. The fact that WG stubbornly refuses to tell their players how their game work does not make it shallow.

That an arena game would be lacking in content is also incorrect. World of Tanks has around 40 maps and hundreds of tanks and once you have every tank in the game, there are missions and marks of excellence and other things to work for.

I really hope this game succeeds. The PC gaming scene needs it. I also hope they add an arena game mode.

• Like 2

It is funny that this topic happens to be up at the top of the forums because I haven't played since Open World came and and had came back her hoping they are re-opened sea trials.

I really, really miss Sea Trials.  Anymore I just don't have the time to dig deep into a fully featured MMO but I do usually have a few hours to spare and would love to just be able to log into the game and get right into some action without having to worry about any of the stuff like losing ships and such that comes into play with the Open World aspect.  Honestly when I bought into this game I was under the impression that Sea Trials was going to be a mode that was always in and an option to play outside of the Open World full featured MMO.  Basically I thought it was going to be both types of game in one so as to appeal to a wider player base and player moods.  

In any case I guess it is pretty obvious what I would like to see and that is a combination of the two game modes being available.  Perhaps you log in and are prompted with two option.  Click "Sea Trails' and you get dropped into the lobby for an arena style MMO experience with full F2P cash shops and such or you can click "Open World" and you get dropped the fully featured open world experience.  Obviously your progression doesn't carry over from one to the other but it would give you the option of how you wanted to play the game at any given point.  I mean I don't really see what they don't do something like this.  Games like WoT, WT and others have proven that Arena style MMOs can be a massive cash cow and they already had a very decent Arena style game with the Sea Trials that just needed a bit of polish to make fully functional.  Then, with the money they could earn there from a cash shop and premium time, they could have used that cash to accelerate the pace of development on the Open World MMO.  Basically they could already by rolling in cash and have a full studio working on creating new ships, features, etc.  

In any case, yeah I am kind of stuck. Love the game play but not really interest in the Open World at the moment and I guess Sea Trails isn't coming back soon so guess I am back to waiting. 

• Like 3

Now the game is like arena mode. They give us 1 million and the highest rank for make PvP battles without loss feeling. Well, now you can  look at the numbers of people connencted, much less than before. People made fights and in two days, half of players go bored.

When sea trials I played some days and I bored and only back to game for grind my pass to initial OW. Was a painfull grind to reach santisima from the constitution and the new ships added. Since OW opened in may I was here daily 4 months many hours for day with few days taking a break.

NO, this game wouldn't be better as an arena mmo. Anyway you will have your arena MMO when skirmish will open eventually or now before the wipe.

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly, I much prefer this Open World game. I think that if the devs can flesh it out to incorporate trading, economy, crafting, factions, etc. etc. It will end up like an 'Age of Sail' EVE. I don't mind the grind, it's fun grouping up with a couple others and tackling some trade and small vessels and then scampering away when the frigates show up to spoil the fun.

Arena has it's place, that's for sure, but don't get rid of Open World for the sake of Arena MMO. Maybe have a separate mode such as skirmish where players can strictly do battle.

They do. It's not the most popular part of the current build for sure but it's there. There are 3 modes:

Generic-does not give exp or gold

Small- does give exp and gold

Large- does give exp and gold

So you don't have to make a choice or call for it to be strictly this or that. All types are supported.

• Like 1

I think the main problem is going to be, quite frankly boredom. I was sailing around early today and was wondering.. so now what? This game has to fill in the gaps with content (I know its alpha just making a point) or make the game something similar to Stronghold Kingdoms, where you log on for maybe 20mins to 1 hour a day to update stuff ect. Sailing around from port A to port B for 20 minutes is boring, now you can either fill the sea with AI pirates and the occasional player, which may interest you some of the time, but there has to be an additional supplement of content to keep the user actively engaged. My opinion would be that you don't just sail 1 ship on its own, instead you can do many things from sailing all 30 minutes from port A to B, or you can return to a hub center such as each nations main port, where you can craft, construct plantations, manage small businesses ect whilst your ship/ships are sailing. It's the same as EVE online, but with that system you can literally mine ore from an asteroid, then select your destination and go AFK until you arrive, and have an alarm system which tells you that you have arrived at your destination, or if you have been intercepted by an enemy ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Having tested World of War Ships in Alpha and Beta, I can tell you... I don't like the mix of ship nations.  By this I mean, I don't want to fight same nation ships.  As a Japanese player I want to fight American and British ships.   Not other Japanese ships.   IN this game at least, Nation ships will be limited to just one side.   I don't want to see any arena style play with this game.  A rich sailing adventure, a rich economy and the ability to grow in skill and lvl with the ship of your choice.   Arena style fighting is just to zzzzzzzzzz  random encounters within an open world is much much more exciting.

• Like 1

I have played NA diuring sea trials, it was fun to get Santi, it was fun to play pvp, it was fun to get first Trafalgar,

But then after 90h of play i felt something is missing, i got bored to the death.

Now when it got OW i invested in just sailing around another 600h.

If you really want world of sail ships go molest wargaming - this is ambitious game and is doing fine.

• Like 1

If you really want world of sail ships go molest wargaming - this is ambitious game and is doing fine.

No, i think i will stay around and remind you of the real strength of this game: massive multiplayer battles with lots of skill involved in real slow sailing time!

• 2 weeks later...

Elite: Dangerous is a open world in the same fashion Naval Action is, and it has been very successful in that aspect.

Open world games are the future of gaming, in my humble opinion.

Elite:Dangerous now has the CQC, which is a fantastic idea.

I think Arena mode would be something really cool to have an a "change of pace" however after the full game as intended is done. 

Elite:Dangerous now has the CQC, which is a fantastic idea.

I think Arena mode would be something really cool to have an a "change of pace" however after the full game as intended is done. 

Naval Action has Arena mode already again.  It is called Events in port.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think the Open World needs time to develop before we can compare it with the Sea Trials.   That being said, why not restart the Sea Trials, if drains away too many open world players then just close it until you think the Open World has been developed enough to compete.  Then, let the two compete honorably for players.

I, for one, am willing to give the Open World a chance, but the more I see of the same old, same old XP/leveling template, the more I think the War Thunder pattern would be the way to go, spend development time on ship models and varied battle maps.   

As for "Events", clicking on them, during the rare times they are open doesn't seem to guarantee an event, whereas joining a battle in the Sea Trials seemed quite straight forward and relativity speedy.   I'll keep trying, but I only have so many hours to devote to sitting in port staring at countdown timers on the Events tab.

• Like 1

Problem is, in the end sea trails only provided so much fun before it quickly started dying, open world will provide alternative things to do and we will also get varied maps because of battles near land when they implement it so that the actual terrain is used where you start a battle.

Problem is, in the end sea trails only provided so much fun before it quickly started dying, open world will provide alternative things to do and we will also get varied maps because of battles near land when they implement it so that the actual terrain is used where you start a battle.

There is much truth in what you say, after I got my Santisima, I did play less.   However, I did keep playing and in mostly smaller, faster, more nimble ships, big battles were fun, even if you were sliding weaving around in a Lynx, big ships had to think before they wasted a broadside on an annoying mosquito.  

It would be cool if all those big battles moved a strategic front line, maybe like Planetside?

• Like 1

There is much truth in what you say, after I got my Santisima, I did play less.   However, I did keep playing and in mostly smaller, faster, more nimble ships, big battles were fun, even if you were sliding weaving around in a Lynx, big ships had to think before they wasted a broadside on an annoying mosquito.  

As far as I remember you are the Star Citizen fan. I wonder how many people are in the Arena 2.0 and how many are waiting for the persistence universe? 

Arena games only work with the korean grind. Our friendly levelling system is not what is good for arena games.

Arena events are happening every hour. But arena fans prefer to remember them on forums. 

• Like 1