Game-Labs Forum

Questions to developers

No if it was a Star Citizen concept it would be at least $200 for a work in concept that might appear in fact within a year or two.  ;)

Hahaha, Touche sir, touche.

Being a bit more sertious though I don't actually have a problem with the yacht in so much as it would not start anybody off with a serious advantage. If you could come straight in and buy a frigate it would start to have a possible whiff of pay to win.  If they are going to raise funds by allowing you to buy sometyhing on a par with what you already have I don't have an issue.

Yes i agree with you and i'm much more at ease now. If everyone starts with a lynx but if you pay $20 then you start with a yacht then i'm totally fine with that.

I suggested this in a different thread, but it would be cool, since much of our game time will be at sea, if artists (musicians) could post their music to the game for a fee, then we, the players, could select a variety of musical tracks to listen to in the background like, Naval Action Radio.  This could bring in revenue to the devs from the artists, and it would give the artists a venue to make their music public.

Will there be a way to save survivors from sunken ships (those poor souls floating on debris in the sea)?  I'm thinking of doing this as a means to increase reputation/standings for those who wish/need to increase standings due to ill repute.

5 people working, thousands watching and waiting.

1.will gold be important in the game?

2.will fishing,whaleing,serching for treasure be in the game?

3.will there be building our own ships ,shipyards,and other ship supply goods?

4.will there be quests and lots of other things to do other than pvp?

Hello sailors, 

I have no idea what it is to program a game. So possible this is a silly question.

Many people have a second screen in use on his desk. Is it possible to move all the things (gaugs, displays, speed, amunication, map...) from your main screen into a second window on your second screen later in game?

So you have a pretty view into the game and nothing disturbs you in battle. 

just my 2 cents  ^_^

Lt_Snyder

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

You have a super game here!!  Thank you!  Thank you!  Keep up the good work.

I have a question on how points are scored.   If there is a topic on this please direct me to it.

My question is:  is there a hierarchy of the way points are scored?   Do I get more points for a sinking?  For waterline?  Or for hits in general?

Yesterday I was trying out double shotted 24lb cannonades in my Surprise and sunk a Constitution!   (Yeah, is sounds great but it was a bot..)   I got 2000+ points.  Later I saw another Surprise who didn't sink anything in a pvp and got 7000+ points.   

What is the secret, please.  Thanks  

I have some questions...

How will the managing of the crew work?

Will I be able to adress orders to specific members of it, or to it as a whole?

Will there be a ranking system, leaving me to decide which officers will be promoted?

In the early stages it will stay like today (crew focus based) with one difference - your crew will not be a unified mass and will be damaged deck by deck. Eventually we will expand it to look similar to a silent hunter 3 (at least the plans are to do so)

Will the amount of cargo, amount of shot carried, number of crewmembers, etc., increase the TOTAL weight of a ship and thus make it slower than an equal ship without cargo?  It should sit lower in the water after all.

I believe maintanance will be required for the ship, such as barnacle removal.  However, if that maintanance cannot be paid (and the barnacles continue to grow, or the sails get rotten), will the ship become slower?

What other variables might be planned for the physics model that will separate the same ships so they don't all perform the same?

Usually a captain of that time had from 1 to 37 servants and officers to handle maintenance. Initially maintenance will look like a total repair bill - you give cash to your purser and he takes care of everything. 

Just a few simple game related questions (properly asked before but anyway):

1) Will hollow and angel (bar, similar to chain but does more hull damage) shot be added to ship battles?

2) Will you allow persons to buy premium accounts that exclusively give cosmetic content (no PTW) and allow us to add $5 a month or so to the game (I would love to contribute $5/month for some cosmetic features... maybe the ability to change the name of my ship every 24 hrs, pink sails and gold plated cannons... yes the history freaks would hate that but someone needs to help keep the servers up :P)?

3) Will we have Esport battles in alpha, e.g. a 1v1 knockout cup in cutters every weekend?

4) Will bow ram damage be decreased? I have been cut across the bow 3 times by cutters and brigs while in the snow and have exploited the mechanic myself against snows with a 50% success (which is good, considering a cutter or brig should not be able to beat a snow):

1) Overtake a bigger ship that has no more repairs

2) Fire a shot of double at the front

3) Slow down and pull across him, breaking his bow as he collides with your side

4) Pop a repair and sail off with an evil grin on your dirty face or if fighting a snow and both have no repairs just laugh because he will sink faster usually.

Frankly it seems to be 2 much damage still, side of ship should take less damage but ramming is ugly and should have little effect on gameplay.

Ramming damage and mechanics will be improved. Ship mass will play a bigger role in who damages who. 

I

The "Massive" aspect of MMO... Games like DayZ have come out recently, reintroducing rather old concepts of game servers and game hosting. I have flashbacks to getting "hosted" playing the original Rainbow Six game online where the host had a 0 ping compared to everyone else's 200+ pings. Dedicated servers in FPS games also tend to bend and alter the ruleset for the games, which was my main turn off for DayZ. Also, trying to create a "massive" environment when limited to only about 100 players kills immersion in my opinion. Will Naval Action have a commercial server(s) hosting the game like standard MMOs do, or will it rely on private, dedicated servers like DayZ and Minecraft currently use?

RPG aspects? This may have been asked, so sorry if I repeat. How many RPG aspects will be present in the final game? As in, character skills, advancement, levels, etc? Will anyone be able to buy any ship and use any equipment if they have the money or will there be a skill system in place to make people "earn" the better equipment, earn their trading skills, earn their crew members and so on?

Finally, the name "Naval Action". Referring back to a previous question of the openness of the world and game play, will this game keep the same name when it's ready to release, or will it take on a more appropriate name that reflects the "non-action" elements?

Private servers give the options to get access to full source code and will increase chances for hacking on the official servers. But it could be possible in the distant future - everything depends on the population in the game after release.

Basic RPG for officers and players is planned

Name is almost final, but we have a sea-legends.com domain ownership just in case. 

I apologies if this has been asked else where. But how is Games Labs going to make money with this game. Are we looking at a monthly subscription, ships bought with real money, a one of purchase etc.. what current mmo model are you guys thinking of following, Eve, Star citizen, Elite, Guild wars ect... 

We are going to sell copies and sell premium content (ships) in the store. Paying for admiralty connections (a-la premium account) is under consideration but doubtful, we don't know yet how much support the game will require on the ongoing basis.

Will there be a way to save survivors from sunken ships (those poor souls floating on debris in the sea)?  I'm thinking of doing this as a means to increase reputation/standings for those who wish/need to increase standings due to ill repute.

This feature is not currently planned. If requested a lot we might consider it. 

1.will gold be important in the game?

2.will fishing,whaleing,serching for treasure be in the game?

3.will there be building our own ships ,shipyards,and other ship supply goods?

4.will there be quests and lots of other things to do other than pvp?

1. not sure what gold you mean

2. fishing and shipwreck hunting is planned

3. simple crafting is planned

4. no quests in the near future - initially the game will be combat and crafting oriented. exploration will be added as well. 

I have a question on how points are scored.   If there is a topic on this please direct me to it.

My question is:  is there a hierarchy of the way points are scored?   Do I get more points for a sinking?  For waterline?  Or for hits in general?

Yesterday I was trying out double shotted 24lb cannonades in my Surprise and sunk a Constitution!   (Yeah, is sounds great but it was a bot..)   I got 2000+ points.  Later I saw another Surprise who didn't sink anything in a pvp and got 7000+ points.   

That ship most likely damaged a lot of ships but did not give enough damage to count as a kill. Kill is awarded to a ship giving most damage. If you keep away from fire sectors of large ships or time your movement to avoid their broadsides you can rake in a lot of damage points even in Lynx

• Like 1

we don't know yet how much support the game will require on the ongoing basis.

You can't just release a MMO and run off to work on a futuristic FPS. MMO's need a lot of support and continued development to be successful. Let alone all the time spent on moderation, GMing, balance, bugs, server issues.

Worrying to say the least  :wacko:

We are going to sell copies and sell premium content (ships) in the store. Paying for admiralty connections (a-la premium account) is under consideration but doubtful, we don't know yet how much support the game will require on the ongoing basis.

Thanks for answering our questions, and I love the game so far!!  However, what kind of ships will be for sale?  Also, what's make the ships "premium"?  Will they never be lost?  Will they accrue more earnings, xp, etc.?  What's the benefit of a premium ship?

I come from another game (War Thunder) that sells premium vehicles, and it's a really big sore spot for the game.  Premium vehicles earn more than normal vehicles in that game, and usually have very unbalanced models and are given favorable matchmaking.  This encourages extremely bad player behavior and makes for a very unbalanced game.

Tread carefully there because it really upsets people and introduces a bit of a Pay2Win element.  Perhaps, a vanity shop for ships would be something to consider instead of premium ships.

premium ships like the yacht currently nothing higher you wont be able to buy a 32gun like the Surprise.

hard to tell what will come in the future but we dislike the idea of pay2win so dont worry that much.

most stuff wil be cosmetic only infact the yacht is a skin for the cutter since both have 12x6lb in totall if you want to look at it like that.

Dear devs i have been really bussy trying to find lineships from the dutch navy i have found the archives but they can only be orderd and there needs to be payed fir the ship plans. This is the website.

http://www.gahetna.nl/en/collectie/archief/ead/index/eadid/4.MST/node/c01%3A0.c02%3A0.c03%3A1./open/c01%3A0.c02%3A0.c03%3A0.

i do not now the state of the plans there are years posted if build and more please help out deu to the ones needed or wanted.

I hope hearing from you shortly

Great regards

Michiel de Ruyter.