Game-Labs Forum

Society emblem, sails and flag customization.

I would like to suggest the system that would let players create and customize:

Society Emblem

Flag

Sail Pattern or emblem.

For comparing purposes only - If anyone played BF4, they will know what I am talking about. 

D2s1VeQ.png

Sail pattern and emblem:

galleon.jpg

I would like to see similar system for creating and editing designs, coloring ship parts and creating flags. Treasure chests feature would be ideal combination with this feature as well as premium gold chests that will drop new colors, shapes and unlock new things. 

It was a very popular feature in potbs and many players enjoyed creating art.

Also, add ability so sell player created flags on the AH for doubloons.

Please discuss. 

• Like 5

I would like to see some Flags, which have diffrent emblems. Like the Pirates never had the same Flag. You knew all the time, this one is sailing with this flag. But it could be used for some.... you know. It should need some diffrent options, not 100% user generated.

I would be ok with custom squadron flags, to be flown from the top of the correct mast, but other than very early Spanish vessels (1600's?), were there really a lot of examples of ships that decorated their sails like that?

Probably not many, this is a game and devs need to create a feeling that every player sails a unique ship. It will be so boring to see 10 Surprises , same colors same everything chilling together. On the other hand a team could paint their sails black, drop their soc emblem and let others know who they are and who is defending these waters. You know what I mean? I would even add the feature to show a soc emblem over a group of soc members who are sailing together. 

• Like 1

The eye-bleeding color combinations in PotBS really turned me off.  If we limited it to "realistic" colors, I'd be ok with that.   :)

Can't agree more on this. One of the things that irked me with PotBS was coming across an eyesore of florescent lime-green ship or bright 'Banana Boat".

The almost neon colors that were available for the sail customization had no place. More "natural" colors would indeed be more welcome.

I would like to see some Flags, which have diffrent emblems. Like the Pirates never had the same Flag. You knew all the time, this one is sailing with this flag. But it could be used for some.... you know. It should need some diffrent options, not 100% user generated.

Pirates should indeed have the most freedom with customizing flags. But shy not make it a bit more interesting: as a pirate, start off with the ability to fly only a blank black or red flag. As you progress in the game (Time spent as a pirate, enemies defeated, distance traveled, etc.) more and more customization options become available to you. 

I also like the idea of sail icons as well. Perhaps the devs could come up with a handful of historical looking designs as default ones to use. A Fleur de Lis for the French, a crown or lion for the spanish, Union Jack for the English, Eagle for the Americans, etc. As far as personal customization, the sails should have less options than flags. I for one also think that Nationals should have to fly their nation flag as their main jack (the largest one in the rear of the ship). All other flags and pennons can be customizable. 

D2s1VeQ.png

I really do like this idea, the devs can have some control as to what is being used, as opposed to completely unique user made flags and sails like on PotBS.

Also, Achievement Hunter ftw! 

Great idea!  It would be interesting if certain designs could only be ordered from certain cities / nations.  Also, to keep everyone from having custom sails, the developers could make the sails purchasable for real money, or else have them cost twice as much as normal sails.

I would be ok with custom squadron flags, to be flown from the top of the correct mast, but other than very early Spanish vessels (1600's?), were there really a lot of examples of ships that decorated their sails like that?

Though not nearly as ornate, sail designs did exist as identifying features.  Below a painting of a Black Ball Line ship (the line was founded in 1817, so on the tail end of our period) and their company pennant (also visible on the main masthead in the painting).

The_American_Black_Ball_Line_packed_ship

large.jpg

That said, it was not all that common for the sail patterns, but a custom company/guild/group flag would be a great addition (though I would really prefer historical color schemes-no dayglow orange or neon pink please!).

Also you can take note of the American flag on the above ship.  It has 15 stripes, not the modern 13.  I have also seen similar flags who's upper and lower stripes are white, not red and stars can be 4, 5, 6 or even 8 pointed for early American flags and in all sorts of patterns (sometimes not all stars were even the same size) due to the somewhat ambiguous instructions for the new nation's flag.  It would be neat to incorporate some of these flags in the game, though I do admit that this is just a minor detail that can wait until the final stages of polishing the game to be implemented.

If they allow customization, should it be able to be copied by other players/ factions?

I know more than few people if they go to the effort of making their own emblems/designs, probably would not 20-200 people copying it. It would allow for a sense of individuality. Same goes with factions, if you go to the effort of making a succesfull faction you don't want players pretending to be a part of it, possibly ruining your groups reputation.

On the other hand, being able to run false flag operations so to speak could add an interesting aspect to the game. That, and somtimes you see a great design and would like to be able to use it as well.

If they allow customization, should it be able to be copied by other players/ factions?

I know more than few people if they go to the effort of making their own emblems/designs, probably would not 20-200 people copying it. It would allow for a sense of individuality. Same goes with factions, if you go to the effort of making a succesfull faction you don't want players pretending to be a part of it, possibly ruining your groups reputation.

On the other hand, being able to run false flag operations so to speak could add an interesting aspect to the game. That, and somtimes you see a great design and would like to be able to use it as well.

Not if they use a system simular to Potbs. You create a flag / sailpattern and then upload it to the server. After it pass thru the checkout, it's added to your account and only you can acquire it.

• 2 weeks later...

I fear the crazy colored sails all over the place to be honest. Let's give that a few years...

However a system to create clan flags and then at least one more flag to denote your clan squadron (or whatever else you wish to use it for) should be allowed. Maybe one smaller one below the nation jack and one on the main or mizzen, or allow several slots for custom placement.

Everything would have to pass developer review so we don't get megatron or batman flags.

Flags were an important part of identity in Potbs and were a good addition to the game. Same with sails. This game is zoomed in enough to not require sail designs like Potbs where the flags were so small they were pretty much ignored.

I agree that fluorescent colors shouldn't be allowed but the Vic was painted yellow as we all know so we shouldn't just limit certain colors because we don't like it.

I want player designed flags not premade options that the devs create. They will be flat and have little meaning to a clan. The clans want to be proud of their colors and design, at least I'm assuming this is the case. I can't imagine TDA not wanting to design their own flag.

No, they shouldn't.  Being able to fly a flag for a particular group should require membership in that group.

There's also a whole thread on false flags - it's a complete mess to do in the game.  Please take a look at that thread and contribute any additional thoughts you may have.  I think I completely killed the last attempt to get a player designed system for false flag operations simply with the level of complexity in the coding it would take to accomplish - http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/1610-raising-different-national-flags-hiding-under-a-neutral-flag/page-4?p=95503#entry95503.   :)

I am fine with flag customization, but I am not too crazy about painting sails.  Don't know why, but I guess that is just due to navy uniformity.

I wouldn't mind allowing for the creation of custom skins and textures.  We could have a system similar to War Thunder's, allowing custom textures to be only visible to the person that downloaded it, but alas, what is the point then in making society or group flags if we use that method?

I am for real money payments for skins and custom graphics. Great way to get money for servers without impacting gameplay and in no way p2w. If clans had to pay 50 bucks to get their own design into the game I think it wouldn't be so bad. For those that do not want to have them choose between generic designs. After all custom graphics need dev time to be put in.

Everything would have to pass developer review so we don't get megatron or batman flags.

I remember the last time i asked a developer (I was a forum mod) if this was a possibility and my idea was immediately shot down. I'd like to get admin's thought's on this before we discuss further (Maybe he has made a comment somewhere else which i didn't see, please refer me to that if so). 

- While here though i'd like to contribute with my opinion ofcourse. 

Personally, because of the game (someone mentioned something similar earlier in this thread) and the way it's made (Real factions) and such, i'd like to refer to something i read the other day in "Daily Life in the Age of Sail";

- Quote, page 105, Lines 16-19. "Admirals were flag officers - They had the right to fly their own flag (...)"

I'd also like to refer to wikipedia (Yes, i'm referring to wikipedia..); (Page about Battle Ensigns) 

-Second picture on the right; 

"Niagara flying Òliver Hazard Perry's - Don't Give up the Ship - Battle ensign at the Battle of Lake Erie"

-  - Another quote from the the first section on that page;

"The battle ensign was seen as an important element for the morale of the crew and was held in high regard. (...). Some countries use their national flag as the battle ensign, while others use their naval ensign. Sometimes unique flags were made and used as battle ensigns, for example the one flown by USNF at the battle of Lake Erie"

Then i'd like to quote another wikipedia page; (Maritime_Flag) 

- Quote 1, section about House flag.

"Merchant ships often fly a flag identifying which company owns the vessel. This was formerly flown from the mainmast but is now usually flown from the jackstaff"

- Quote 2, section about Private Signal.

"Private signals are custom designed flags used to symbolize and identify the owner of a boat".

- Quote 3, on Distinguishing marks.

"On 16 January 1899, commisioned ships of the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey were authorized to fly their own flag to distinguish them from ships of the US Navy, with which they shared a common ensign (For info on "Ensign"). Although they continued to fly the same ensign as U.S. Navy ships, ships of the Survey flew the Coast and Geodetic Survey flag as a "distinguishing mark" (...)". 

Based on all this i think we really need a custom flag slot for all captains (The small private flag), a bigger "Battle ensign" for the more "honored" tester/players, and finally, the opportunity for clans to have a "Distinguishing mark". 

The custom/private flag slot could maybe - If possible - Be linked to a database which players and testers have access to, there we could see the flags ingame and then place a vote, (Approved, Not Approved).

The "Battle Ensign" would ofcourse be approved by game-labs and so would the distinquishing mark. 

- There also needs to be a "report flag" option so that one can report a flag if one feels harrassed/provoked by it. 

But again, i'd like to hear Admin's opinion on this. ^^ 

I don't know, I want flags and such to be in line with the real world and what existed in that era, also giving players the abilty to change these things will end up with some funny guys painting a big dick on their flag just to annoy the hell out of others B) , thrust me it will happen haha

Some small customisation Im all in for just to have more unique ships, but I think it has to be from the devs and in line with the era and available for purchase in the harbours... But please no 'pink' ships with neon lights and all kinds of unrealistic bling bling that doesnt fit with age of sail:p

E.g, being able to change the figurehead on every ship, would be nice and it will make 2 identical ships look differnent and add diversety in the visuals..

The customising things could also be bought for real money, to give the devs some income and also resources to make these small visuals, and give true supporters of the game a chance to help funding this niche game:)

Edited by kaboki