Game-Labs Forum

What shall be the starter ships?

Ive wondered about what shall be the starter ships in this game and i have some ideas aswell.

When we start we can get like 2000-3000 in cash that we can spend on 3 vessels such as a little but fully ready to sail the second can be a bigger but worse condition maybe the brig and the last can be a fairly modest trading ship that doubles as a warship but in a horricfic shape maybe a gross looking gotheborg that has no color becuase no over haul has been done in a long time ( imagine the ship) btw im not calling the gotheborg ugly :3

This way we have to chose wisely 

First ship in my mind: Lynx, cutter or pickle (the pickle is best choice)

second ship in my mind: rattlesnake with 5 guns a side and old or brig with less guns 

third ship: chapman indiaman (Amsterdam), Mercury brig with less guns or Gotheborg all these ships are in horendous conditions and cant last many shots or attacks from pirates but makes alot of money and in other words easy prey.

Just an idea from the lost side of my brain :)

In my mind i think this is a great idea.

feel free to make a list ourself and comment on the idea aswell.

Edited by Mass

Nah, the started ships should be something like this:

2mre5on.jpg

Just work your way up from there!

Edit: Why such a small boat?

Well, if you make the cutter the designated starter vessel, it will be looked down upon. If the cutter is the first 'real' vessel, they would more naturally be given a spot in the tactical considerations of fleet commanders.

If there where some more small vessels to be added (a fast lugger for smuggling anyone?) the cutter would even be able to claim the exciting role it had: keep the coastal waters clean of the minor pests; which would be a very nice (and historically fitting) starting position for those who aspire a navy career.

~Brigand

Edited by Brigand
  • Like 8

I agree with Brigand and Atomic on this one.

start with small like brigand posted you can see the picture and at start of game do some small trading or supplies coverage and then after a short time you get promotion and a new ship that would be Yacht/Lynx and then you can set of and prepare for bigger voyages in them.

2mre5on.jpg

~Brigand

i agree with this, only way to get a better ships is with the help of sweat and tears of your hard working crew(and your self obviously)

Start up should in my opinion include some sort of generic tutorial: basic sailing, basic gunnery, economics, other gameplay features.

The last phase of the tutorial will then be naming yourself, choosing an Nation, explanation about associations etc. Joining an Association can be done instantly after "proper" starting the game.

Player can choose to follow the tutorial with an extra benefit (ship token for a privateer or money) or start directly in a Cutter/Yacht.

• Like 1

Any Cutter and Sloop will do, both armed or somewhat unarmed depending on the player's intention. Guess the funds will be put to use equipping the first commission to our preference ( more space used for gunpowder, shot and repair parts or more space used for cargo, and similar ). Mostly coastal waters game play at start for sure.

Edited by Hethwill_Khan

As I understood it, we have the Yatch for purchasing the game this early in development. I hope that stays...

it stays no question about it. and if you pre ordered before the 1st of january you get an free longboat with a carronade on the front and back.

Oh and i thought i must start as shipboy or naval cadet without own ship.^^

For open world i think at start one ship depending on career.

Open world means surely also different careers.

A navy captain should own ships?  He is able to use different shipclasses, if he may use those.

A merchant must trade for purchasing something new or hire/loan ships.

Anyway i dont know in which way devs want the open world.

For single battles we have a system.

I like the limited choice option, versus "you start with ship X". I think it's an interesting concept that adds more player choice, and control (defining their destiny & role).

Truth is I'll start at any stage, that's the hard part with alpha... Waiting. But I like the concept presented by the OP.

Starting in the nooby ships seems sensible.

One option might be that you could captain a ship you don't own....you earn a lot less but could sail a better valued vessel. This might work if there is some sort of Navy Career...based more on exploits than wealth....or even as an employee of a trading company (as opposed to some sort of privateer).

• Like 1

2mre5on.jpg

~Brigand

i agree with this, only way to get a better ships is with the help of sweat and tears of your hard working crew(and your self obviously)

I'd kick that crew overboard. Look at all the bloody cargo space they're taking up!

i kind of like the idea of having a small ship as is in game now, But have the option to hire yourself out as a captain to your Country, run errands and build up money to buy a better one. (obviously the missions would have to be Skill Requirement locked, as if you could go and start a mission where the admiralty wants you to captain the Victory and patrol the seas without any experience in shooting streight and sailing foreward!) no. But i would like to see mission for currency to buy better ships. many games use that concept i thinks its a good one.

Yacht and Lynx and only them.  Why?  First all use pre-order people bought a premium ship so for it to be valuable at all it has to give us a boost over those who started later.  If you make the Pickle, Privateer or Cutter the starter vessel, you place all the late arrivals in ships that are as good or better than the Yacht and the premium value of that ship disappears.

Also if you don't use the Lynx as a starter ship, then what it the point of the Lynx?  It is by far the weakest ship in the game and if it isn't the starter/fallback ship no one will every use it.