Game-Labs Forum

Settling the "naming ships" discussion

Naming ships  

304 members have voted

1. 1. What should the game do for naming ships?

• A list of names you can choose from, and an option to name your own ship and the mods confirm
    • Be able to name your own ship without restrictions
    • Name your ship with restrictions
    • Other (Explain)
    • No naming

Besides the reduction in troll names I think the truth is the historical realism guys just don't like seeing people use unimmersive like slapping "bob" on the back of a ship. You gotta compromise somewhere in there though. :wacko:

All righty right here it goes: People will evade filters. Still there must be a basic filter in place. No F*ck Sh*t and so on. If we can name our ships, people will get creative. There will be Shatpickles (ok...), there will be Digger Nicks. As such, i think it is up to the community to sort out such evildoers by themselves through some sort of report button, where the staff can intervene and offer some renaming options. (they do this right now anyway, as i've read). It will be relatively slow, but it works. Nonetheless, I like the Idea of custom names.

• Like 2

Get some community volunteers to act as name police and sift through reported names that make it through the filter. A group of 10 people or even more could easily say yes to "The Grey Eagle" and no to the "Ur mums ****"

I like the idea of the first option on the poll, where the list of approved names are the historical names for that class of ship ie. for constitution read: united states or president.

but I also think as an alternative that later in the game these names could be awarded for some huge success, to be kept until that ship has been sunk and then available again to be awarded to someone else in that nation.

lol I am already imagining how many variations to the name constitution/ victory there will be.

I have voted for "Other"

The "Other" is that I think that:

a) There should be a list.
b.)Naval characters would usually get what they were given, selected from this list. However see below.
c) Non-navy players should be allowed to select from the list. However they would lose a 'pick' for this, and if they hadn't yet earned any then they get what they are given (which might be a blessing - they don't waste a pick on a bad choice when they are new to the game).

d) Some names wopuld be reserved for certain types of ships. For example 'Ark Royal' would probably be restricted to First or Second rate Naval Ships and 'Queen Annes Revenge' to Pirates and Privateers.

e) The list should be compiled and added to by both the Designers and a limited number of players with 'Name List Privileges'. I would expect these to be people who have shown that they are responsible and have a reasonable grasp of the issues, including history, involved.

f) Players would get a limited number of 'picks', activated after a certain amount of involvement in the game. The base number of picks would be one - this is deliberate, in order to minimise the load on whoever is
moderating name addition. They could use each 'pick' for one of a number of things:

i) Making a request for a name to be added to the list, which can then be used by any player.
ii) Choosing a name from the list, unless they are a naval player.
iii) Requesting a name from the list if they are a Naval player. This would be granted with a probability that depended on the players standing in the Navy. Failed attempts would not 'consume' the Pick but either no further request would be allowed for a given period of time or it would result in some amount of damage to a players naval standing (they called in a favour they can no longer use).

Note that choosing a name not already on the list costs two picks. This is deliberate. New players would not be able to do this until they had been in the game for a while.

Additional picks beyond the initial 1 would be given as rewards for in game and, perhaps, out of game, actions.

Edited by Portsdown
  • Like 1

Other (Explain):

A list of names you can choose from and an option to pay for a custom name in the in-game vanity store. If the name is approved by the mods, you can use the name for one of your ships. If said ship is wrecked, the name is added to the global list of names, so that it can be used by anyone from that point forward.

Why this scheme?

• No immersion breaking names;
  • I can pick the name I like, as long as the moderators approve. I have to pay for this privilege though (it is an ideal 'vanity item'). Because I paid for it, the name is unique (vanity)... but if I wreck my ship, the unique feature gets dropped;
  • It creates an ever increasing list of original, well thought out, names to choose from.

Edit: You would only loose the 'me only' right to the name you paid for, not the ability to use the name. It is just that after the ship you named sank, everybody can use the name, instead of just you. See it as a donation to the community.

Edit 2: Why pay for it? because I would like a human to review and approve the names submitted. I think that there is no better incentive for people to not try ship names like "====UP Yours 99 ===="  than a small pay screen.

~Brigand

• Like 8

choose a name by myself with Restrictions like offending words, numbers and thinks like !§$§$% would be nice.

i would like to name my ship Tigris or anything else.

Other (Explain):

A list of names you can choose from and an option to pay for a custom name in the in-game vanity store. If the name is approved by the mods, you can use the name for one of your ship. If said ship is wrecked, the name is added to the global list of names, so it can be used by anyone from that point forward.

Why this scheme?

• No immersion breaking names;
  • I can pick the name I like, as long as the moderators approve. I have to pay for this privilege though (it is an ideal 'vanity item'). Because I paid for it, the name is unique (vanity)... but if I wreck my ship, the unique feature gets dropped;
  • It creates an ever increasing list of original, well thought out, names to choose from.

~Brigand

sounds good, but loosing the name, i dont like that much.

but this would be a good way to get them some money.

Edited by AtomicTiger

sounds good, but loosing the name, i dont like that much.

but this would be a good way to get them some money.

You only loose the 'me only' right to it, not the ability to use the name. It is just that after the ship you named sank, everybody can use the name. See it as a donation to the community.

~Brigand

In my experience, limited choices are always the most fun (why a TV episode is always better on air, than the untouched copy in your DVD case), so i support a list of names to choose from, but there would have to be a lot of detail and research put into naming conventions for each nation and ship class, with an unheard of amount of variety. Not seeing the same ship names all of the time is as important to immersion as not seeing the SS LOLFART.

If turning criminal/pirate is implemented in any way, though, perhaps free reign with names could be the one upshot to being on borrowed time, and hostile to all players and AI.

I am a huge fan of Brigand's proposal to have a name list, then pay for moderator-approved custom names.  The name of a ship is extremely important, and I am not just willing but eager to pay for unique ship names.  Not such a big fan of losing the name, though.  I''d want to see more about how the open world works, though.

• Like 1

I think factional 'tags' like USS and HMS should be automatically added when you part of that particular navy instead of being added by the player other then that I'm fine with players naming their own ship with a filter on offensive terms. Sure you'll get some silly names but that's gaming for you.

Besides the reduction in troll names I think the truth is the historical realism guys just don't like seeing people use unimmersive like slapping "bob" on the back of a ship. You gotta compromise somewhere in there though. :wacko:

However, do you not think real people, in real life, don't name their boats or ships "Bob"?   Honestly, I am sure there was some pirate or private citizen out there in the 1700s naming their ship "Bob" just because it was their ship and they could.  That being the case, the only restrictions I can see putting in place if we want to be "Realistic" would be that the names have to be period related.  For example, you couldn't name your ship "Space Shuttle Columbia"  or "The Arizona" or anything that didn't exist in the time period of the game.

• Like 1

I think factional 'tags' like USS and HMS should be automatically added when you part of that particular navy instead of being added by the player other then that I'm fine with players naming their own ship with a filter on offensive terms. Sure you'll get some silly names but that's gaming for you.

Except that they have never been used on the names displayed on the vessels themselves and HMS only came into vogue around 1800.

I'd like to be able to name my ship myself. But I would add some sort of approval mechanic. I could get behind the pay for your own name thing. But I would just make it "pay for adding a custom word to your list of names to chose from thing" and don't include some sort of exclusiveness or some sort of common propery after sunk to it. Just make someone else pay again for the same name. It is for most people unlikely to have the same name as many people unless it is some sort of evil 666 kill f*ck die name like "(Grim) Reaper" or what other "cool" names there are. 

Click Add a Name -> fill form (have field for explenation or historical evidence) -> pay 10 bucks -> Wait

TOKEN REWOKES IF NAME IS REJECTED

And I'm dead serious about the 10$ and the rewoke. Because you we need some sort of threshold in place to make people think twice befor they slow down the system by submitting things like "tu madre" hoping that support wont notice. (I chose a less obvious example because I don't like to generalise people as retarded)

But there should be a short explenation why the name was rejected. To if someone wants to appeal they have something to back their claim and not go into IDK mode like valve or blizzard.