Game-Labs Forum

Crew experience over time and fighting.

Hi.

As I do not know how to program and those things I ask:
If one builds an Agamemnon (to cite a ship), after each fight against AI and PvP, could that crew improve based on the experience gained in that ship?

Example: After 10 fights, the ship rotates and reloads the cannons 0.01% faster. The more fighting and navigation the crew "drives" the ship in the most optimal way (reload, turn, speed). Up to a limit of course. When that ship is sunk or scrapped that expert crew disappears.

That could be done?

Greetings.

• Like 4

"New progression system (including for crew)"

This may mean that the way we rank up is changed.  - A player's maximum crew size is limited depending on rank: the Devs may introduce new metrics to max crew size related to ranks.

http://www.navalactionwiki.com/index.php?title=Player_Ranks

I would love to have crew, and officers, that increased their skills, but I doubt the Devs will add this type of feature.  I imagine that many players would consider it extreme and unnecessary.  

Edited by Macjimm
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Macjimm said:

I would love to have crew, and officers, that increased their skills

I too would like.

5 hours ago, Macjimm said:

I imagine that many players would consider it extreme and unnecessary.  

I think this would be more necessary than the Loki Runes or the S woods, but I'm afraid you're right. 🙂

This is something that has been asked for many times in the past and just hasn't gained much traction.  I like the idea personally, but I would suggest that if we are adding this kind of buff, we must remove some advantage from the ships as they are now.  Perhaps nerf all ships until they can gain the suggested experience.  We are already quite high on bonuses as it stands.

• Like 2

It would be necessary to distinguish between two kinds of bonuses: those of the ship and those of the experienced crew.

The bonuses would be such.

Characteristics of the ship (port bonuses) Crew (number of crew), mast and rigs and hull.
Experienced crew (crew bonuses) Sail and gunnery bonuses.

Greetings.

Edited by Sento de Benimaclet
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Liq said:

Hmm dunno.. another reason to quit a winnable fight early "because I have to save my crew I spent weeks training on"

Yeah, that would be my big fear for something like this...We shouldn't value our crews that much...They are nothing but press-ganged gutter scum. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Liq said:

Hmm dunno.. another reason to quit a winnable fight early "because I have to save my crew I spent weeks training on"

1 hour ago, Angus MacDuff said:

Yeah, that would be my big fear for something like this...

Yes, Surely you are right. Anyway, we will see what the DEVS surprise us with. Greetings and thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liq said:

1 hour ago, Angus MacDuff said:

Yeah, that would be my big fear for something like this...We shouldn't value our crews that much...They are nothing but press-ganged gutter scum. 

could be countered with proper ransom and abandon ship mechanics. A lot of these are in UA: Age of Sail. So at least the devs already thought about it ;)

Edited by Cecil Selous

One way that this could work is if crew and officers were available by DLC.

Allow us  to buy crew; by DLC, (or through player trades).  Players could buy Crew by DLC, train them and store them.  These crew are not replaceable, but they can be traded in game.  They offer no buffs until they have been used/trained.  With enough experience sailing they will provide a very small increase to speed, turning, settting sails etc.  Not enough to make a big difference but a tiny increase.  Likewise with ship to ship  fighting the crew would gain a tiny increase in loading, aiming etc.  After enough times boarding the crew would increase a wee bit of skill also. Time spent fishing would increase catch rate.  

Officers would provide an advanced rate of skill gain.  With an officer on board the crew would learn faster.  Officers could also increase the trade/crafting production rates.  When they are used for trade voyages and present in port during buying/selling/trading/ship building they gain experience.  Eventually they provide; improved rates of exchange,  an increase to crafting production etc.

Crew would occupy slots in the warehouse when not in use.

The standard regular crew would not change.  It would remain as it is currently

These increases to skill would never increase the maximum buffs beyond the maximum provided by  the upgrades, perks, port bonus's etc.   These crew/officers would allow players to free up; perk points, and upgrade/knowledge slots.

Edited by Macjimm

It will work quite fine, when the medium stage of crew experience is what we have not "ordinary seaman", new crew from port will be "landsman" an perform worse ( maybe -5%), while the trained crew "able seaman" gives a bonus (maybe + 5%).

When a seaman dies he is replaced by a landsman. Since in nearly every pvp battle there are losses, no one will ever have a crew of able seaman only.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Sea Archer said:

When a seaman dies he is replaced by a landsman. Since in nearly every pvp battle there are losses, no one will ever have a crew of able seaman only.

maxresdefault.jpg

You mean something similar to this? The truth is that it would be very good. Sailors specialized in sails, cannons ... that when they died would be replaced by sailors without specialization, until eventually they get it.

23 minutes ago, Sento de Benimaclet said:

maxresdefault.jpg

You mean something similar to this? The truth is that it would be very good. Sailors specialized in sails, cannons ... that when they died would be replaced by sailors without specialization, until eventually they get it.

Yes something like that, I hope that is what the devs intend to implement. 

• Like 1

Have crew be a cargo item you can buy and put in the hold and move to the warehouse.

Crew experience would have more relevance in a more realistic game than this. Crew are infinite, available everywhere, dirt cheap,  have no maintenance, can be resurrected with rum, and boarding actions continue until the last man with the winners crew decimated.

Historically, England had such a shortage of sailors they resorted to boarding American merchant ships to press crews.

Crew should be a commodity that you can put contracts on. Crews would want to work for the highest bidder.

• Like 1

Let us have a captain and trainable officers that specialize in specific skills. They can give minimal boosts and would be another time sink to keep players playing. Maybe you always lose the captain with the ship but a random officer or two can be looted.

Edited by MrOkieDokie

On 12/27/2019 at 5:35 AM, contact said:

Forgive me for mentioning it. But in Ultimate General.

Officers and Brigades can increase in experience etc which is reflected in the officers rank and the troops morale

Cheers 🍻

Was about to suggest this. Would be the easiest way to do it.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2019 at 10:01 PM, Sea Archer said:

It will work quite fine, when the medium stage of crew experience is what we have not "ordinary seaman", new crew from port will be "landsman" an perform worse ( maybe -5%), while the trained crew "able seaman" gives a bonus (maybe + 5%).

Quite good idea, though the base 40 crew should always be basic seamen in that case.

So actually there should be 3 sliders for the crew (for landsmen, seamen and able seamen), so you can crew you ships differently - FX main ship with able seamen only and fleet ships with green landsmen. There are also can be more than 3 grades for crew (and more sliders).

Another variant. Also it can be done more simply - you gain XP from each action you have and then that XP goes to the crew, but that amount is defined by the number of crew you have in the end of action, just before you exit it. So in that case you simply have some levels of Crew XP (just as Player XP and Craft XP), and being on each level will give you some bonuses. Main thing is, that when you recruit new crew, you are losing XP proportionally. FX: you have 400 crew with 5000 XP and you recruit another 500 crew with 0 XP. As a result you will have 900 crew with only 2200 XP, so you may go down level or two.

With implementing this suggestion there would be more sense in using rum even in the end of victorious action (to resurrect lost trained crew) and in surrendering (to keep the trained crew after defeats), also less sense in fireshipping with 1st rates (you losing too much crew).

Main problem with introducing crew with experience and better stats - it can (and will) widen the gap between successful and usually victorious gankers players and the rest, especially noobs getting farmed at capitals etc. Just as in reality of 1792-1815  with experienced and veteran British crews against French and Spanish, not having enough sea training because of blockade (from which Brits gained their naval XP), therefore constantly losing.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 4:00 PM, Sento de Benimaclet said:

The Silent Hunter model was excellent for crew experience.  There was also an allotment of medals that could be issued after successful battles/patrols.  These medals would add an additional buff to a crew member.

• 5 months later...

Expanded version of my suggestion is posted in Proposal section

On 1/9/2020 at 5:42 PM, Malcolm3 said:

Another variant. Also it can be done more simply - you gain XP from each action you have and then that XP goes to the crew, but that amount is defined by the number of crew you have in the end of action, just before you exit it. So in that case you simply have some levels of Crew XP (just as Player XP and Craft XP), and being on each level will give you some bonuses. Main thing is, that when you recruit new crew, you are losing XP proportionally. FX: you have 400 crew with 5000 XP and you recruit another 500 crew with 0 XP. As a result you will have 900 crew with only 2200 XP, so you may go down level or two.

Link is here:

Please vote for it, if it's appropriate