Game-Labs Forum

van Veen's Guide for New Players

van Veen

46 minutes ago, van Veen said:

It is far from complete and probably full of errors, so any comments are highly appreciated. 

First error is that new player doesn't have to pass exams before he sail out to OW full of gankers, as exams are difficult enough to get tired of numerous tries

Also you described stern raking, but don't mention ways to counter it

• Like 1

Effects of wind and speed and build (maybe in the angling and tankingchapter?) are not yet included.

Perhaps put a little more attention on the fact that captured ships are basically free (including cannons), any upgrades or whatever are not likely to be saving a new player anyway, he'll still sink. "Only sail what you can afford to lose".

Maybe some explanation about long guns and carronades aswell?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Malcolm3 said:

First error is that new player doesn't have to pass exams before he sail out to OW full of gankers, as exams are difficult enough to get tired of numerous tries

Also you described stern raking, but don't mention ways to counter it

Thank you for the comment. I'll include more battle tactics.

But honestly, I have no idea what you're trying to tell me with the first part. I write that passing the exams should be highest priority by all means giving reasons for that, not that it is required. 

2 hours ago, Eyesore said:

Effects of wind and speed and build (maybe in the angling and tankingchapter?) are not yet included.

Perhaps put a little more attention on the fact that captured ships are basically free (including cannons), any upgrades or whatever are not likely to be saving a new player anyway, he'll still sink. "Only sail what you can afford to lose".

Maybe some explanation about long guns and carronades aswell?

Thank you for your input. I'll consider it. 

7 hours ago, van Veen said:

But honestly, I have no idea what you're trying to tell me with the first part. I write that passing the exams should be highest priority by all means giving reasons for that, not that it is required. 

Because after reading your advice of "passing exams should be highest priority" new player certainly will try to pass them in first place and without any real experience of fighting will get stuck, usually first on Demasting, then on Endurance, and then on Final Exams (as I did when I was new). He is not the vet, who can pass all tutorial with exams in 1-2 hours.

Also he should pass exams not in starting location, but in some other places, so he can have repairs (from the exams) there - cause repairs are too expensive for the beginners.

So he must do Tutorial, he can do some of the exams - especially Destruction exam, as it teach you how to fight AI at least, but exams giving you rewards can wait a bit, but not for long.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Malcolm3 said:

Because after reading your advice of "passing exams should be highest priority" new player certainly will try to pass them in first place and without any real experience of fighting will get stuck, usually first on Demasting, then on Endurance, and then on Final Exams (as I did when I was new). He is not the vet, who can pass all tutorial with exams in 1-2 hours.

Also he should pass exams not in starting location, but in some other places, so he can have repairs (from the exams) there - cause repairs are too expensive for the beginners.

So he must do Tutorial, he can do some of the exams - especially Destruction exam, as it teach you how to fight AI at least, but exams giving you rewards can wait a bit, but not for long.

added some more text for explanation. 

Good, you do this work! Keep on completing it :). The exams shouldn´t be described as crucial as you do it right now. The game can be joyfully played without them. My advice for new plaers is always to stick with the small ships for a loooong time :). Learn them properly! With the manual usage of the sails! The small-ship-chapter is missing still a lot. To me Requin and Niagara aren´t interesting at all for the new players. But using Lynx, Cutter, Privateer and Pickle, or Snow and Mercury,  Navy-Brig among the square-riggers is priority. If players learn to use them efficently they will be ready for the bigger frigates. Far too often I see poorly handled frigates just eaten away by a skilled veteran. Personally I did all newbie-mistakes a lot. Got back to the small vessels again and started to learn! Most efficient learning of course took place in fights together with other mates. Learn to play a role with your ship. The Mercury for instance won´t kill the enemy Trinc alone, but she might be the one keeping her in battle, raking her, making her do mistakes, slow her down and, and and. But all that only works if the player knows what his ship is able to peform, has knowledge about positioning in battles, and the usage of wind and sails! Best wishes and thanks for your work, Gene

• Like 3

On 11/20/2019 at 6:13 PM, van Veen said:

Hi all, 

I have started a guide for new players hoping that it might be useful. 

https://naction.info/index.php/Van_Veen's_guide_for_new_players

It is far from complete and probably full of errors, so any comments are highly appreciated. 

It’s a very good start.

Of corse all players will have their own ideas on list of priorities.

But it is a good idea.

Thanks for taking the time and effort.

I still consider myself a noob. Somethings I am aware of now. But there is plenty of useful information.

Some I am not yet ready for. But when I am this gives me a good starting point at the very least.

Best wishes

• Like 1

Meneer van Veen, you have done a fabulous job.  Good content, well presented o7.

I have a couple of comments to make about the boarding section.

1. You might like to emphasise the point you mention elsewhere which is that boarding a ship can reduce XP, because you damage it less.  You can counter that by ensuring you are side to side and smashing them with your broadside while playing the boarding game to damage them while boarding
  2. The enemies numbers for firepower and melee contain critical information
    1. If firepower is 1 and melee is 0 they are bracing
    2. if melee numbers are greater than 0 they are attacking or defending
    3. If you are attacking and their melee number is higher than yours, you are going to lose, so switch at the last moment to guns of some kind
    4. If firepower is greater than 1, and melee is zero they are either firing grenades, muskets or deck guns
    5. After a few rounds of any particular (NPC) enemy you get an idea of which firepower number applies to which attack. i have found attacking into guns as being a bad idea, but attacking into grenades gives good results.

Once again, a fine effort. well done and thank you for your service.

o7

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Kubrat said:

Meneer van Veen, you have done a fabulous job.  Good content, well presented o7.

I have a couple of comments to make about the boarding section.

1. You might like to emphasise the point you mention elsewhere which is that boarding a ship can reduce XP, because you damage it less.  You can counter that by ensuring you are side to side and smashing them with your broadside while playing the boarding game to damage them while boarding
  2. The enemies numbers for firepower and melee contain critical information
    1. If firepower is 1 and melee is 0 they are bracing
    2. if melee numbers are greater than 0 they are attacking or defending
    3. If you are attacking and their melee number is higher than yours, you are going to lose, so switch at the last moment to guns of some kind
    4. If firepower is greater than 1, and melee is zero they are either firing grenades, muskets or deck guns
    5. After a few rounds of any particular (NPC) enemy you get an idea of which firepower number applies to which attack. i have found attacking into guns as being a bad idea, but attacking into grenades gives good results.

Once again, a fine effort. well done and thank you for your service.

o7

Thank you for your kind words and your valuable input! I'll update the guide accordingly. 

o7

• Like 2

@van Veen you should add this one for tldr; :) Can also be smart to mention that this is the general direction to follow considering morale, deck difference and crew difference are the same and there are no boarding mods involved :P Else i can see some complaints if someone attacks into some kind of barricade and gets slaughtered :P VN0OmcI.png

Edited by erelkivtuadrater
  • Like 2

On 11/28/2019 at 11:41 AM, erelkivtuadrater said:

@van Veen you should add this one for tldr; :) Can also be smart to mention that this is the general direction to follow considering morale, deck difference and crew difference are the same and there are no boarding mods involved :P Else i can see some complaints if someone attacks into some kind of barricade and gets slaughtered :P VN0OmcI.png

Muskets, Deckguns and Grenades take same Preperation.

And less effectiv meant not that you need to Switch it. Stay always on sutch high Prep that you are a able to react. and to Switch to brache coast i think 10 Preperation (which u get bach, after the end of that round. 

Firefight: Maybee ad some Pics about effectiv shooting ( just shoot when you have a 90° angle)

Edited by Knuddel
  • Like 1