Game-Labs Forum

No game for noobs?

No game for noobs?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Is the game too difficult for beginners?

• YES
    • NO

4 hours ago, Borch said:

Do you loose your own stuff as well? How fast you can get back on track after loosing your equipement? Do you have to farm, build, craft to be copetitive in this game? Is this game succesfull?

Yes. 98% loss. As fast as you can escape with the loot from a totally unfriendly environment. Yes, by missions. You fulfill missions to gain access to gear with vendors. no infinite cash and no infinite ammo. Everything is bought with the loot you can escape with. No mission no deal, stick with what you loot. Yes, big time and devs are adamant in their vision. I like them.

But you see, there's literally "countless" games that suit all styles. Is all about fun. Not having fun, no play. Liking the challenge, then it's fun.

NA is challenging. It is diverse and offers a fairly unique combat gameplay. Any newcomer may well like it, we all been newcomers. Now being effing negative all the time is really senseless. Just let the new guy enjoy, without limits.

4 hours ago, Borch said:

So, no for LoL. Dark Souls sounds painfull indeed. Do you compete against other players there? Can they kill you and take everything from you or just against AI?

Anyone can invade your game and kill you outright ( you can do to them as well ) without you even knowing they are there ( sometimes in the most hillarious ways :D ). When you die and can't get back to your body, because you get slain again, you lose your possessions ( sometimes really valuable stuff ). Yes. It is bloody harsh if you play online, but can be great fun.

4 hours ago, Mr. Doran said:

I think you are purposely overlooking a missing piece of the puzzle here. 

f4deb1c03d25785748a95689c47b46c1.png

Your graph is depicting as if OW is the problem. 

I don't think there's anything wrong with OW it self opposed to an arena type, if there was an arena setup and with unrestricted combat as is the current OW then that system would still have the same problems. 

I'm agreeing (and on topic) that new players aren't getting a fair go with unrestricted combat.

The combat/battle instance is as good as WOWS and War Thunder gets, if not the best in my opinion, and therefore of the players that are interested and play within these genres, I say there should be alot more people. 

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, BuckleUpBones said:

Your graph is depicting as if OW is the problem. 

I don't think there's anything wrong with OW it self opposed to an arena type, if there was an arena setup and with unrestricted combat as is the current OW then that system would still have the same problems. 

I'm agreeing (and on topic) that new players aren't getting a fair go with unrestricted combat.

The combat/battle instance is as good as WOWS and War Thunder gets, if not the best in my opinion, and therefore of the players that are interested and play within these genres, I say there should be alot more people. 

On 8/30/2019 at 5:24 PM, BuckleUpBones said:

I think NA should have more players. 

From genres of general combat, vehicle combat, ship combat and then from sailing, history enthusiasts etc. WOWS and War Thunder have shown how big the combat genre is. Not WOT because of its arcade traits, of which I doubt NA would attract to many players who plays arcade games. From those genres and combat audiences NA should have a much larger playerbase. 

How do you even begin to non-ironically wonder why the players of a f2p-arena-game do not flock to a mid-price-open-world game Do you not understand that the very ethos of WOWs and WT are basically diametrically opposed to NA. 

12 hours ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

My main argument was that this game takes too much time in PvP and PvE is too repetitive and forced. Difficulty doesnt matter as long as its fun. 

Basically this. Point is that if I want to do almost everything in this game I have to waste hours in watching a moving screensaver of the rear view of my ship.

Edited by toblerone

1 minute ago, toblerone said:

Basically this. Point is that if I want to do almost everything in this game I have to waste hours in watching a moving screensaver of the rear view of my ship.

Exactly :), personally i used to play another game or watch a film when sailing.... until i realised i may as well cut the processing power used by NA as i got more fun from whatever else i had been doing.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, LegoLarry said:

Exactly :), personally i used to play another game or watch a film when sailing.... until i realised i may as well cut the processing power used by NA as i got more fun from whatever else i had been doing.

This! Game is a job and a boring one with sometimes a fun fight, how can the devs not unserstand watching that something is wrong if players are looking netflix or playing other games whilst playing naval action.

28 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

How can anyone play a game that is boring for him/herself is beyond comprehension.

Here I was thinking people would engage in non boring hobbies.

And in fact we are discussing on the forum about the reasons why people are starting once more leaving the game, not about why some people still play no matter what.

1 hour ago, toblerone said:

And in fact we are discussing on the forum about the reasons why people are starting once more leaving the game, not about why some people still play no matter what.

Okay.

So, if i leave a game behind what would i care ?

It is binary. You play it or you don't.

1 minute ago, HachiRoku said:

addiction. 

Yeah. I would say is more "I love the idea of the game but not the game". Hence can't let go.

Despite many faults NA delivers a lot to many players, 2 hours per day, day in day out. Might be a month or two until they can craft solo their Victory, but will do it.

They won't be competitive enough, and they know it. But they can enjoy a great ship model and engage in combat with it. They can sail with some buddies and attack some AI or go find trouble into enemy waters.

What do I care, or what do you care if they do ? It is how they having fun with the game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hethwill said:

How can anyone play a game that is boring for him/herself is beyond comprehension.

Here I was thinking people would engage in non boring hobbies.

For me personally i think is the increased grind with changes pre and post release,  also mods and port bonuses have become the meta.  With port bonuses i mean now every ship produced in a max sailing port have equivalent of copper plating on all ships etc,  I have lost count of pointless chases before i stopped where everyone is maxed on speed and there is no way to catch.  As for the grind it has been increased and i suspect as a driver for people to buy the dlc ships (which imo are to expensive but is dev decision and price strategy).

Could be a case of game burn out (4k+hours mostly afk lol) , I guess for me at least time will tell if i desire to play again. Perhaps the new raid mechanics will be the medicine the game needs, I just hope devs find a succesful balance (whether i play or not) :) .

Edited by LegoLarry
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Yes. Never a fan of mmo gear. Ever.

But the mmo boyz and girlz seem to love that aspect.

So here we are.

I still can enjoy great fun in NA even with that mmo gear stuff.

The refits are ok and port bonuses although i think as a whole added together are to powerful and all should be reduced,  just gets extremely tiring when every ship you meet is maxed speed  bonuses.

At least the guy i gave all my refits and books should be well kitted out 3 copper plating, 2 imp sextant, 7 elite spanish, art of cargo  etc etc; poor guy had to increase dockspace twice to recieve them all :D .

Edited by LegoLarry

17 hours ago, Hethwill said:

Escape from Tarkov. Multiplayer, full loss and loot. You only keep what you can escape with. You might loot and kill lots of other players but killed before you escape. All lost, just xp won. Try again. Learn, get better. Play with friends, increase chances of success.

Oh wait... that could almost, almost be NA War server...

The problem is it is not like that, in NA the main reward you get from killing lots of other players is the completion of PvP missions that reward CM's and chests, any upgrades you loot from sunk ships can be put safely in you chest while at sea, the doubloons you have to carry in your hold, but they are not that valuable that it is important to get them back to port. There is no cargo worth capturing and if you are lucky your prey may have some repairs to let you continue on with your raiding.

This is why there is so much camping of new players and traders. Killing a new player nets the same rewards as killing an experienced player for a lot less risk. Killing a trader counts the same towards a PvP mission as the same rank warship. No one ever bothers to take the cargo unless it happens to be some rare books or really valuable crafting materials and even then they have to dump a lot because they do not want to overload themselves.

Players do not have to get back home with their prizes, they do not have to risk getting jumped as they try and get captured ships back to port. Sure, some people do capture special ships from their enemies and sail them back to port, but only when they are close to their own ports or have sufficient numbers to ensure their safety. How many people have sunk good ships they captured because they know that there will be a revenge fleet waiting outside to take it back if they try and get it home.

So it may be a full loss/loot game but the captured loot does not mean much.

3 hours ago, Archaos said:

The problem is it is not like that, in NA the main reward you get from killing lots of other players is the completion of PvP missions

Same in the game i mentioned. You unlock stuff by killing players (missions) and... killing is not enough, you must take their tags and escape with them. If another player nags you and steals the tags he will be the one delivering them and fulfilling a mission. ( hell, even gear is locked behind missions or kills and loot enemies. Actually even ammunition, which is not infinite like in NA ).So the player better learn and be sure he wants to play game. There's plenty much much more hardcore games out there and with way way more players ( granted not everyone gives a rat arse about age of sail hence NA is niche while a FPS modern combat isn't ).

• Like 1

I voted yes, since I cannot see that new players have a place to learn their business on war server. The whole content on war server is made for experienced players. The worst thing is the 20min timer, if a new player goes out with his new ship, attacking some ai ( usually not knowing much about br), he is likely to be jumped in battle by someone looking for easy prey.

When I started in 2016, battles closed after 3 min, you could be sure that no one out of sight would join the battle, and there were lots of small traders ( tlynx and tcutter), that even players without experience could cap (they were not armed at that time). The loot from those traders was only little, but something to start from.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sea Archer said:

I voted yes, since I cannot see that new players have a place to learn their business on war server. The whole content on war server is made for experienced players. The worst thing is the 20min timer, if a new player goes out with his new ship, attacking some ai ( usually not knowing much about br), he is likely to be jumped in battle by someone looking for easy prey.

When I started in 2016, battles closed after 3 min, you could be sure that no one out of sight would join the battle, and there were lots of small traders ( tlynx and tcutter), that even players without experience could cap (they were not armed at that time). The loot from those traders was only little, but something to start from.

Going after AI and going after a player I doubt is different to the coding. So unless the devs want to add a timer for when the battle is vs ai then PVE and PVP will continue to use the same timer and that means that in any battle you will have to deal with the possibility of getting ganked by a large force. It would be nice if there were different timers so that low level players could go after an ai and gain some experience without having to worry about some knuckledragger deciding to join in a wasa.

59 minutes ago, Raekur said:

Going after AI and going after a player I doubt is different to the coding. So unless the devs want to add a timer for when the battle is vs ai then PVE and PVP will continue to use the same timer and that means that in any battle you will have to deal with the possibility of getting ganked by a large force. It would be nice if there were different timers so that low level players could go after an ai and gain some experience without having to worry about some knuckledragger deciding to join in a wasa.

In my eyes there should be only the 2min timer. If some players manage to gank someone, they deserve it. The attacked player at least has the chance to see the attackers, call for help and/or find means to escape. 

Todays 20min timer is much worse, since when you fight an enemy with far higher br can join, but was not visible when the battle started. This is the worst mechanic they could bring in the game. 

So my opinion is that you should never be forced to fight someone, who was not visible when the battle started. 

6 hours ago, Hethwill said:

Okay.

So, if i leave a game behind what would i care ?

It is binary. You play it or you don't.

Let's make it even simpler then: the ones that STILL PLAY the game are worried because, if too many people STOP PLAYING the game, the GAME SEVERS WILL SHUT and - as a consequence - also the one that STILL PLAY the game WILL NO LONGER BE ABLE TO play the game.

7 minutes ago, toblerone said:

Let's make it even simpler then: the ones that STILL PLAY the game are worried because, if too many people STOP PLAYING the game, the GAME SEVERS WILL SHUT and - as a consequence - also the one that STILL PLAY the game WILL NO LONGER BE ABLE TO play the game.

this seems to be the good and healthy solution!

1 hour ago, Sea Archer said:

In my eyes there should be only the 2min timer. If some players manage to gank someone, they deserve it. The attacked player at least has the chance to see the attackers, call for help and/or find means to escape. 

Todays 20min timer is much worse, since when you fight an enemy with far higher br can join, but was not visible when the battle started. This is the worst mechanic they could bring in the game. 

So my opinion is that you should never be forced to fight someone, who was not visible when the battle started. 

Yup, there's a lot of skill in sinking helpless, slow, undergunned traders. Please man … if traders had a chance to excape well, you could be right. But we all know that it's impossible to escape a failfitted warship in a trader ship.

Because the truth is that nowdays PVP players sail up and down the coast between free ports in failfitted fir/fir ships hoping to cross with some trader brig (or going for newbies around capital cities) so that they can get some easy combat medals. And the funny part is that they even dare to whine just because the ganker sometimes can end up ganked.

This is the level of OS PVP. Not a surprise that people are leaving the game. 

7 hours ago, toblerone said:

Yup, there's a lot of skill in sinking helpless, slow, undergunned traders. Please man … if traders had a chance to excape well, you could be right. But we all know that it's impossible to escape a failfitted warship in a trader ship.

Because the truth is that nowdays PVP players sail up and down the coast between free ports in failfitted fir/fir ships hoping to cross with some trader brig (or going for newbies around capital cities) so that they can get some easy combat medals. And the funny part is that they even dare to whine just because the ganker sometimes can end up ganked.

This is the level of OS PVP. Not a surprise that people are leaving the game. 

I am not talking about traders in general. But give our noobs a chance to get an easy (trader) kill, demast a t lynx and a little loot of not too much worth, so that vet players don't waste their time in them.

Edited by Sea Archer