Game-Labs Forum

No game for noobs?

No game for noobs?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Is the game too difficult for beginners?

• YES
    • NO

1 hour ago, HachiRoku said:

wow can be so popular.

Only thing I didn't like about WOWS was MM, as solo if you win too much MM would pit you against better rated players, forcing you into a losing streak. Then they would lie to us if we protested claiming it was random even though "50% holding logarithms" existed.

Anyway why are you so accommodating? 😶 

11 hours ago, Baptiste Gallouédec said:

From my experience in the past I ve read a lot of low level renouncing in participating in a group action bc they had no outpost far from capital and no time to sail there in time. 

But i agree this would be quality of life for everyone. 

Yes and the main reason for that is they have not sailed their yet. My clan days and rvr days are most likely behind me but I've dealt with many newbs and willpower was the thing they lacked most. 

• Like 2

Also better explanation/tutorials..

Trading is nowhere explainend everyday i read in chat " why cant i deliver passengers?"   Beacuse You need a trade ship

Port bonusses/crafting/wood typed is nowhere explained.

Port battles/hostility/frontline nowhere explained.

And many other things are not explained at all.

Edited by Razee

2 minutes ago, BuckleUpBones said:

Only thing I didn't like about WOWS was MM, as solo if you win too much MM would pit you against better rated players, forcing you into a losing streak. Then they would lie to us if we protested claiming it was random even though "50% holding logarithms" existed.

Anyway why are you so accommodating? 😶 

Because I only get mad when proposals are for personal gain and illogical. Alot of proposals are dogshite and for personal gain. Not for overall game design. If you're right about something you're right. I like an argument for for but not a pointless one. 

Another thing that makes me super mad are the tribunals. Basically all tribunal posts come down to bad game design and not players. Imo Green on green should be punished in game and not by Devs. Alt farming is a yoke that I've seen but won't report. Why bother? Alt abuse is also a game design problem. It's not christendoms fault he can control another nations port with his alt. Its the games fault. 

• Like 2

As a Noobie.

Today is the 3rd week I have been playing.

So for what it's worth.

I am happy with the way things are. (However, I am aware I don't know all the ins and outs and do not comment on a number of issues raised as I don't yet know about them). Yes, Its a steep learning curve. I have been sunk a lot etc. But I would expect that. I'm new !

If the game was easy, I would not find it so enjoyable. There are games out there for those who want just action. This goes deeper.

In time I hopefully expect to rise through the ranks. Gain experience. 

To help Noobies I would suggest they be encouraged to join a clan. Within a clan they will find players of varying experience (so I have discovered). Some newer than me !

I would suggest trying to go it alone will have the effect of turning noobies away from the game.

There is plenty of advice on this site. But from my little experience, something crops up when in open waters or just in port. Its then much easier just to ask the clan or nation for help. I don't have to wait long before some kind person provides the info.

I understand to move forward the game requires new players to join and stay.

To do so offer help and encouragement. Not just on the forum where there is a lot of useful advice. But when playing the game.

I am loving it. Yes, it's  annoying when get ganked. But to me that's part of the game.

I read a lot about NA before joining. I discovered it as it's on the same forum as UG, where I first started. So I was aware it would not be easy.

Cheers all 

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, contact said:

As a Noobie.

So for what it's worth.

I am happy with the way things are. (However, I am aware I don't know all the ins and outs and do not comment on a number of issues raised as I don't yet know about them). Yes, Its a steep learning curve. I have been sunk a lot etc. But I would expect that. I'm new !

If the game was easy, I would not find it so enjoyable. There are games out there for those who want just action. This goes deeper.

To help Noobies I would suggest they be encouraged to join a clan. Within a clan they will find players of varying experience (so I have discovered). Some newer than me !

I would suggest trying to go it alone will have the effect of turning noobies away from the game.

There is plenty of advice on this site. But from my little experience, something crops up when in open waters or just in port. Its then much easier just to ask the clan or nation for help. I don't have to wait long before some kind person provides the info.

To do so offer help and encouragement. Not just on the forum where there is a lot of useful advice. But when playing the game.

I am loving it. Yes, it's  annoying when get ganked. But to me that's part of the game.

I read a lot about NA before joining. I discovered it as it's on the same forum as UG, where I first started. So I was aware it would not be easy.

Cheers all 

Thankyou for your post, and it gives me some hope for sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, contact said:

As a Noobie.

So for what it's worth.

Cheers all 

Good points and spot on. I was always convinced that being ganked is not a reason people quit. Its annoying but it doesn't hurt moral. The game needs to be more accessible to solo players however. Not everyone wants to be in clan and precisely those people do not use forums either. 

Can I ask you a few questions?

What level are you in game? 

Play time? 

Current ships? 

What's your opinion on the inventory gap between highly upgraded ships and cheaper ships? 

How competitive do you feel vs pvpers you fight? 

Problem with NA is not only that new players are living after few hours, but also that old players are living. I'm super bored and that's why I haven't been playing for last 15 days. There is nothing for me to do. 1 month after release and I'm burned, and looking at player numbers so are others

24 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

Good points and spot on. I was always convinced that being ganked is not a reason people quit. Its annoying but it doesn't hurt moral. The game needs to be more accessible to solo players however. Not everyone wants to be in clan and precisely those people do not use forums either. 

Can I ask you a few questions?

What level are you in game? 

Play time? 

Current ships? 

What's your opinion on the inventory gap between highly upgraded ships and cheaper ships? 

How competitive do you feel vs pvpers you fight? 

Hi,

I’m a 2nd lieutenant. Half way to reach lieutenant.

I’m up to 46 hours game time

I have 8 outposts, with at least 1 ship in each. 6th Rank. All various Traders. I can use up-to 120 crew.

I’m ok on the inventory gap. Though must admit not looked past 5 and 4 ranks. I have the money but not the rank/man power yet. I would of course like to be able to use at least a 5th ranked ship. But not unduly concerned. Completing the tutorial and passing the exam would be a big help. I have started and will try to spend more time on that. Though I have been warned it’s a difficult one to pass. But I enjoy the open waters too.

When in an engagement I still feel I’m a novice and fight like one ! Still getting used to having to think quicker. (In UG can pause). I feel I need more combat experience. I like it that I do get XP points when been in combat. I have yet to win an engagement. But have inflicted damage on occasions. Then decided to run !

I am very competitive in any battle. But do not yet feel confident as I would in a UG battle. But I believe it will come with time. At  the moment I am thinking what to do. Which keys to use etc rather than fighting on auto pilot. If that make sense.

Regards

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, contact said:

Hi,

I’m a 2nd lieutenant. Half way to reach lieutenant.

I’m up to 46 hours game time

I have 8 outposts, with at least 1 ship in each. 6th Rank. All various Traders. I can use up-to 120 crew.

I’m ok on the inventory gap. Though must admit not looked past 5 and 4 ranks. I have the money but not the rank/man power yet. I would of course like to be able to use at least a 5th ranked ship. But not unduly concerned. Completing the tutorial and passing the exam would be a big help. I have started and will try to spend more time on that. Though I have been warned it’s a difficult one to pass. But I enjoy the open waters too.

When in an engagement I still feel I’m a novice and fight like one ! Still getting used to having to think quicker. (In UG can pause). I feel I need more combat experience. I like it that I do get XP points when been in combat. I have yet to win an engagement. But have inflicted damage on occasions. Then decided to run !

I am very competitive in any battle. But do not yet feel confident as I would in a UG battle. But I believe it will come with time. At  the moment I am thinking what to do. Which keys to use etc rather than fighting on auto pilot. If that make sense.

Regards

About the tutorials, use all the time you have. You have 1.5 hours to do it and use it. You can also board but thats up to you.

About the inventory.. I mean port bonuses and certain books/Mods that require a serious amount of time to get and are extremely strong. The difference between the lowest tier Snow and the highest tier snow could be arguably as much as 50%. 1 issue with the inventory gap is that many newer players do not know exactly what makes certain players so overwhelmingly good. I cannot say for certain if you are aware of everything since you say yourself you have not looked into it that much. What kind of ships do you have for example? Build mods and port bonuses. Anyway even if you had the best of the best I still stand by my point in saying that the gap between the same ships can be massive depending on equipment etc. 

What you need more than experience in this game is knowledge on how to sail and use the wind. There are some really good players that can show you depending on your nation. Experience after all doesn't matter that much since I have meet many people ingame and in real life that have done something their whole life wrong :) Once you are initiated then the fun can start. 

Its kind of funny the way you say you have a hard time thinking so fast. This is a major flaw in the current gameplay design. 2 years ago we did not have as many repairs and especially in 1v1 you would think a very long time before you made a move. Duels could go on for 145 minutes and noone would sink. These days people just yolo everything because they can repair every 15 min. You are forced to do as much DPS as possible because you are always fighting time and not playing a game of chess that I believe is the way this game should be.

The devs once told me that multi repairs adds tactical variety so they do not want to remove it. What does that even mean??? Adding a speed boost button would add tactical options too.... It doesn't really. It only makes a strong ship stronger and turns a chess game into a game of cat and mouse and has without a single doubt made every single meta in this game worse. Its also beyond my comprehension what the devs were thinking when they decided to add limited chain, limited doubles, and limited charge to unlimited repairs. A design choice that is without a doubt in my mind the worse one the devs have ever came up with in the last 3 years period. 

I know this all is not necessarily interesting to you personally but I just love the fact you said the game can be to fast because that comment is 100% spot on about why this game is nowhere near as good as it used to be. 

• Like 5

Is the game too difficult for beginners:

On PvP:  Yes.

On PvE:  No.

On PvP,  the endless ganking, griefing and general crappy behaviour that goes on from a small minority of players, kills the game stone dead for new solo players, and even new players in clans have to watch their back far too much.

On PvE, it is entirely possible to learn the game and the mechanics without losing too much.  There is still too much grind involving cargo and passenger missions, which for a period of time become a necessity when levelling up, but after a certain point you can move beyond it.  I joined after the official release, I'm a solo player who has never taken anything from another player or received any real help, and I'm an Admiral now with a top level Shipyard, all the ships I need and plenty of resources.  I play to a limited extent in the evenings and weekends, and sometimes afk during the day while working.  I'm an experienced gamer and game designer, however, so that might be an advantage.

Beginners are not put off by difficulty.  Beginners are put off by lack of accessibility.  The difference between those two is the steepness of the learning curve and the extent of the help available.  The learning curve in NA is not too bad.  The official help is fairly lackluster but player help is generally quite good.

What causes players to leave NA is not difficulty, it is frustration, which comes from two sources.  First, on PvP, is the rife abuse from a minority of veteran players who view new players as "care bears" or food to be farmed, and then come here and pretend to be surprised that the new players have left.  Second, there are countless small irritations in the game due to poor design decisions, incomplete implementation and inattention to feedback, which collectively contribute to the grind and the sense that the game is "work" rather than fun (as it was actually described by a new player recently).  Many of these have been elucidated by players in the forums, but there is unfortunately almost no action to make these improvements or fix these problems, even though 90% of them could be done in maybe two weeks of development time.  There is a sense that the devs are making the game for themselves, plus there seems to be a degree of tunnel vision and "focus" to the exclusion of external input.  Up to a point that is understandable, but I think they should schedule a period of time where they do nothing but make recommended, reasoned improvements instead of adding new features.  That would help a lot.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

About the tutorials, use all the time you have. You have 1.5 hours to do it and use it. You can also board but thats up to you.

About the inventory.. I mean port bonuses and certain books/Mods that require a serious amount of time to get and are extremely strong. The difference between the lowest tier Snow and the highest tier snow could be arguably as much as 50%. 1 issue with the inventory gap is that many newer players do not know exactly what makes certain players so overwhelmingly good. I cannot say for certain if you are aware of everything since you say yourself you have not looked into it that much. What kind of ships do you have for example? Build mods and port bonuses. Anyway even if you had the best of the best I still stand by my point in saying that the gap between the same ships can be massive depending on equipment etc. 

What you need more than experience in this game is knowledge on how to sail and use the wind. There are some really good players that can show you depending on your nation. Experience after all doesn't matter that much since I have meet many people ingame and in real life that have done something their whole life wrong :) Once you are initiated then the fun can start. 

Its kind of funny the way you say you have a hard time thinking so fast. This is a major flaw in the current gameplay design. 2 years ago we did not have as many repairs and especially in 1v1 you would think a very long time before you made a move. Duels could go on for 145 minutes and noone would sink. These days people just yolo everything because they can repair every 15 min. You are forced to do as much DPS as possible because you are always fighting time and not playing a game of chess that I believe is the way this game should be.

The devs once told me that multi repairs adds tactical variety so they do not want to remove it. What does that even mean??? Adding a speed boost button would add tactical options too.... It doesn't really. It only makes a strong ship stronger and turns a chess game into a game of cat and mouse and has without a single doubt made every single meta in this game worse. Its also beyond my comprehension what the devs were thinking when they decided to add limited chain, limited doubles, and limited charge to unlimited repairs. A design choice that is without a doubt in my mind the worse one the devs have ever came up with in the last 3 years period. 

I know this all is not necessarily interesting to you personally but I just love the fact you said the game can be to fast because that comment is 100% spot on about why this game is nowhere near as good as it used to be. 

Hi,

Re inventory. Would need to get back to you on port bonuses books and mods. Need to be on NA to remind myself. But my ships do vary.

From memory one has a speed bonus. One has a much larger hold. I have purchased books to ‘aid’ me. I have 18 guns on some and 26 on others.

I am torn between playing NA and completing the tutorials and exam. Because I am well aware of the bonuses will get from passing.

I have been lucky in following behind a clan member and saw sometimes he took a longer route from a to b due to the wind direction which was very useful to learn.

No problem on my comments re game speed when engaged. I have not known any different so if it helps you in your goal to improve the game. That’s fine.

I’m happy to answer any questions you may have of me being a noobie. As I can appreciate my answers may well differ from a player with experience. 

On UG. I am confident of my ability. I am happy to help the newbies (so called on UG) with questions they have. Some of which seem basic to me, just because of my experience playing UG.

So by all means feel free to ask questions. I will be happy to reply as best I can.

Cheers 🍻

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Karvala said:

Is the game too difficult for beginners:

On PvP:  Yes.

On PvE:  No.

On PvP,  the endless ganking, griefing and general crappy behaviour that goes on from a small minority of players, kills the game stone dead for new solo players, and even new players in clans have to watch their back far too much.

On PvE, it is entirely possible to learn the game and the mechanics without losing too much.  There is still too much grind involving cargo and passenger missions, which for a period of time become a necessity when levelling up, but after a certain point you can move beyond it.  I joined after the official release, I'm a solo player who has never taken anything from another player or received any real help, and I'm an Admiral now with a top level Shipyard, all the ships I need and plenty of resources.  I play to a limited extent in the evenings and weekends, and sometimes afk during the day while working.  I'm an experienced gamer and game designer, however, so that might be an advantage.

Beginners are not put off by difficulty.  Beginners are put off by lack of accessibility.  The difference between those two is the steepness of the learning curve and the extent of the help available.  The learning curve in NA is not too bad.  The official help is fairly lackluster but player help is generally quite good.

What causes players to leave NA is not difficulty, it is frustration, which comes from two sources.  First, on PvP, is the rife abuse from a minority of veteran players who view new players as "care bears" or food to be farmed, and then come here and pretend to be surprised that the new players have left.  Second, there are countless small irritations in the game due to poor design decisions, incomplete implementation and inattention to feedback, which collectively contribute to the grind and the sense that the game is "work" rather than fun (as it was actually described by a new player recently).  Many of these have been elucidated by players in the forums, but there is unfortunately almost no action to make these improvements or fix these problems, even though 90% of them could be done in maybe two weeks of development time.  There is a sense that the devs are making the game for themselves, plus there seems to be a degree of tunnel vision and "focus" to the exclusion of external input.  Up to a point that is understandable, but I think they should schedule a period of time where they do nothing but make recommended, reasoned improvements instead of adding new features.  That would help a lot.

I totally agree the learning curve on NA is not too bad. It’s the lack of official help. But so far thanks to the forum and for me even more so from the Nation when playing, questions that crop up are kindly and quickly answered by players. I’m sure sometimes questions from myself or others must seem simple. But the answers come back quickly.

Without this help it would be far more difficult.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HachiRoku said:

This +111111111111111111111111111111111

Voted no. People will learn hard games as long as its fun. Look at LoL (had bascially no tutorial for ages and you just go shit on for first 20 hours), Dark Souls etc...

Also they added tutorial and retention is still bad.

For me the game is unique because its an MMO with fun and skillful combat mechanics, while in other MMOs you just spam one spell as a blob or some boring shit.

Instead of emphasize this uniqueness they focussed a lot more on gear and grind.

Wanna do PvP? Better have 4+ hours incase you are getting retagged and retagged again. Or better gank some poor hello kittyer and maybe fire one broadside.

Wanna do PvE? Have some coffee ready so you dont fall asleep fighting the same shit in the same scenario over and over again

Edited by Jon Snow lets go

5 minutes ago, Borch said:

Never played these. Do they loose everything when defeated?

In LoL enemy get stronger cuz they get money for killing you, dark souls:

Death may be annoying in the Souls series, but it's also what makes the series unique. Fighting enemies will grant you valuable Souls. Souls are used as currency in the world, which allows you to upgrade your armor and weapons. You cannot place this precious currency in a bank or inventory for safe keeping. If you die in battle, all of your souls are gone, and a bloodstain is left. Other players can watch the potentially embarrassing way you died, whether it be from battle or rolling off a cliff. You will respawn at a bonfire and have to journey back to where you died. If you die again before reclaiming your souls, they are lost forever.

18 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

In LoL enemy get stronger cuz they get money for killing you, dark souls:

Reveal hidden contents

Escape from Tarkov. Multiplayer, full loss and loot. You only keep what you can escape with. You might loot and kill lots of other players but killed before you escape. All lost, just xp won. Try again. Learn, get better. Play with friends, increase chances of success.

Oh wait... that could almost, almost be NA War server...

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Try again. Learn, get better. Play with friends, increase chances of success.

Oh wait... that could almost, almost be NA War server...

To bad that the enemy constantly brings friends in bigger ship no matter how much you try to build up they are able to build up faster. Just ask anyone trying to get out of KPR and getting constantly attacked. It is difficult to leave a port to set up somewhere else when the only outpost you have is KPR and you cant even get more then 20k from the port without getting ganked. No new player is going to be able to get a ship that will be able to outrun these raiders showing up in 15kt snows. The game needs to change, not the tactics used by the new players. They are limited in what they have access to and I think the veteran players have either lost perspective on what that is like or (more likely) prefer it so they have easy kills for those pvp missions.

20 minutes ago, Borch said:

So, no for LoL. Dark Souls sounds painfull indeed. Do you compete against other players there? Can they kill you and take everything from you or just against AI?

Do you loose your own stuff as well? How fast you can get back on track after loosing your equipement? Do you have to farm, build, craft to be copetitive in this game? Is this game succesfull?

Ah you wanna just shittalk some made up bs, sorry for taking you serious.

My main argument was that this game takes too much time in PvP and PvE is too repetitive and forced. Difficulty doesnt matter as long as its fun. Argue with that instead of asking questions you can google yourself in a min

Edited by Jon Snow lets go

20 hours ago, BuckleUpBones said:

I think NA should have more players. 

From genres of general combat, vehicle combat, ship combat and then from sailing, history enthusiasts etc. WOWS and War Thunder have shown how big the combat genre is. Not WOT because of its arcade traits, of which I doubt NA would attract to many players who plays arcade games. From those genres and combat audiences NA should have a much larger playerbase. 

I think you are purposely overlooking a missing piece of the puzzle here. 

f4deb1c03d25785748a95689c47b46c1.png

• Like 2

10 hours ago, contact said:

As a Noobie.

So for what it's worth.

Cheers all 

I have a Twitch channel aeomar where I will be uploading instructional videos and streaming events, patrols and port battles as I get the thing figured out.  Watch for it.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Atreides said:

I have a Twitch channel aeomar where I will be uploading instructional videos and streaming events, patrols and port battles as I get the thing figured out.  Watch for it.

I followed

Cant wait to see you capturing that rat

c5e445b1ceb00608ffcdb313c2aa94f3.png

• Like 2