Game-Labs Forum

DLC in the future?

22 hours ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

Why do you want ships we have ingame already as DLC? Do you want to support the game or do you just want to get around the crafting?

Yes to avoid crafting mostly and hard to find woods....

I would pay tripple to trade in the herc or requin for a ship I really want. I would be content with that. 

I bought the dlc requin to support admin...I never use it...still fully locked. The herc is a fleet ship....it fairs decent as a fleet and is easy to replace...also still locked...I don't like it.

41 minutes ago, Sea Fox said:

Yes to avoid crafting mostly

To me, it's a valid reason for very-casual players who immediately want one ship of a given type as soon as they press play (while they 'rarely' press play).

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 1

'Bout DLC could be nice to have DLC as pack, like, for example, 2/3/4 US special ships or French ships, Spanish ships, etc... and for a Pyrate ships pack, could be nice to have like a Cerberus refit or other ships like Devs did with LGV refit, why not a Lynx refit, Brig refit, or other new ships..

Sure it 'll need some times to build some new ships and work on the balance with all ships in game, but for me it could be a good reason to buy a DLC (like  a Pyrate DLC ships haharrr)

• Like 4

On 10/17/2018 at 6:48 PM, Teutonic said:

Why couldn't we just get a redeemable surprise dlc in the past, instead we are stuck with what we have now and it creates problems.

More ship DLCs? Not until they make sure the ship won't break the game.

I agree. I like the two DLC ships we have so far but in my opinion it is enough for now. People are already moaning about them being OP / unbalanced and adding even more certainly won't help... Just have the Herc and Requin as very good DLC ships that people want but not need and focus with the DLCs on other things like bow figures, more flags and paints.

Personally I want paints the most. Whatever happened to them, I hope they make a return very soon.

• Like 1

I like the general idea of DLC ships because they give a good chance for players - witch are not interested in crafting and do not spend vast hours in the game - to participate. Further more they seem to encourage people to fight (in case of the Herk). The dangerous point is that both DLC ships where very OP when they where introduced. A lot of people made up there minds about that and think DLC=OP=no go. And a lot of people fear that this will lead us into a pay to win game. If new DLC ships will be introduced, they should be average (like the Wasa e.g.) to make it DLC=not OP=go. Btw. I totally agree with Christendom that DLC ships shoud not be allowed in Portbattles (I would go further and say RvR).

Edited by Sir Loorkon
grammar
  • Like 2

Just now, Sir Loorkon said:

I like the general idea of DLC ships because they give a good chance for players - witch are not interested in crafting and do not spend vast hours in the game - to participate. Further more they seem to encourage people to fight (in case of the Herk). The dangerous point is that both DLC ships where very OP when they where introduced. Most people made up there minds about that and think DLC=OP=no go. And most people fear that this will lead us into a pay to win game. If new DLC ships will be introduced, they should be average (like the Wasa e.g.) to make it DLC=not OP=go. Btw. I totally agree with Christendom that DLC ships shoud not be allowed in Portbattles (I would go further and say RvR).

Paying for ships is OP and should be considered a significant advantage over crafting. Poor shallows is probably full of reqs, that's gotta suck.

3 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

Paying for ships is OP and should be considered a significant advantage over crafting. Poor shallows is probably full of reqs, that's gotta suck.

I do not agree to the first part. I stated above that DLC ships should be average. Paying for average ships gives no OP situation. I agree that everybody can see what the DLC ships had/have done with the shallows but you would not have this situation with average ships. The most important thing is that captains witch do not want to (or can) spend hours in this game can participate with DLC ships.

• Like 1

Just now, Sir Loorkon said:

I do not agree to the first part. I stated above that DLC ships should be average. Paying for average ships gives no OP situation. I agree that everybody can see what the DLC ships had/have done with the shallows but you would not have this situation with average ships. The most important thing is that captains witch do not want to (or can) spend hours in this game can participate with DLC ships.

Anything that translates from real money to in game items is automatic prerequisite for being OP. Infinite free ships is an economy and logistics killer, better thank the devs for not adding anything larger than a 6th rate as DLC or the whole game would drown in korean-esque money hoarding.

Edited by Slim McSauce

I like to see the development of the game as first priority.

But i can understand the developers bring out DLC in the future as a token to the community for free.

And also to get the developers financed  for further improving of the overal game aswell with DLC that needs to get payed.

I bought all DLC to support the Devs.

Edited by Ouwe Knar
Typo
  • Like 3

On 10/22/2018 at 8:09 AM, Slim McSauce said:

Poor shallows is probably full of reqs, that's gotta suck.

Given that the Herc is by far more consistent and deadly in its OPness on average... poor shallows and deeps indeed. ( but let's keep bashing the up-to-no-good-if-player-cannot-ambush-anything-and-must-rely-on-invading-zone-battles ship )

As Ouwe well puts it, many did and will buy the DLCs to promote future developments from GameLabs and as a thank you token. Not everyone is competitive in extreme and many DO PLAY IN PVE SERVER and have bought the DLCs.

In the end is all about not judging others by our own standards. We are all involved in NA for different reasons and look to different aspects of the game. It is the collective of different approaches that make a community, not everyone looking to the same thing ( that's why longevity of "high meta" and fixed schedules do burn people out and they have to take breaks ).

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

Given that the Herc is by far more consistent and deadly in its OPness on average... poor shallows and deeps indeed. ( but let's keep bashing the up-to-no-good-if-player-cannot-ambush-anything-and-must-rely-on-invading-zone-battles ship )

As Ouwe well puts it, many did and will buy the DLCs to promote future developments from GameLabs and as a thank you token. Not everyone is competitive in extreme and many DO PLAY IN PVE SERVER and have bought the DLCs.

In the end is all about not judging others by our own standards. We are all involved in NA for different reasons and look to different aspects of the game. It is the collective of different approaches that make a community, not everyone looking to the same thing ( that's why longevity of "high meta" and fixed schedules do burn people out and they have to take breaks ).

I'd be more inclined to buy the DLC if it was cosmetic only. I won't be buying and ship redeemable DLC now or in the future because that kind of defeats the point of the game for me. I would love to thank the devs without drastically changing the way I, or other people play.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 2

Implementing a ship in NA is expensive. DLCs can be a way (maybe sometimes the only one) for their financing. So I am willing to pay for those ships; new, original and nice ones, such as the Requin. The more, the better. I don't care about the 'OP/Not OP' thing. There's always time for fine tuning.

I like paint schemes (a bit) but I'm not a big fan of cosmetics DLC.

Flags are different : they represent nations.

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Sea Fox said:

I just wonder if the same people against DLC ships would be against DLC mods?

"Mods! precious mods...." -- Captain Golum

Here's the way I think of it:

Paid DLC for cosmetic changes (be it paint, bells, crew shout packs, flags, sails, lights, fireworks, figureheads, naked dancing girls, etc) is great.

Paid DLC for quality of life changes (more ship slots, more outposts, name change, faction change, etc) is fiiiine.

Paid DLC for performance boosts (mods of various types) is not okay.

Paid DLC for direct product (Top-tier ships, completely free every day, built to your specifications) is a hello kittyin' joke.

If it's literally two programmers and one artist running this circus, I'm pretty sure you can keep them fed with proceeds from selling firework launchers and naked dancing girls. And if you give open-world travel shanty options, ho-ho, holy shit. I'll spend twice the game's worth on that.

Edited by TheHaney
  • Like 2

No.

Adding DLC ships DIRECTLY undercuts objective #3.

On 9/25/2018 at 2:44 AM, admin said:

So the obvious benefits are

1. Insurance allows to restructure rewards to the appropriate historical levels which removes the inflationary pressures, and reduces recovery loss, loss is less painful because you are not forced to regrind. 
  2. Gear fear is lowered and cost of loss is minimal (especially if Player 1 crafts the ships). Grind is not forced on those who dont want to pve but cannot yet win consistently.
  3. Crafted ships start to matter more.

DLCs, ships from notes, and captured AI all compete for the same thing: dock space in players inventories.  IF a shipbuilding-based economy is desirable adding more DLC ships will chew at the foundations of it.

So either have economy or don't.  But don't try to do both a shipbuilding economy and DLC ships.

15 hours ago, TheHaney said:

Here's the way I think of it:

Paid DLC for cosmetic changes (be it paint, bells, crew shout packs, flags, sails, lights, fireworks, figureheads, naked dancing girls, etc) is great.

Paid DLC for quality of life changes (more ship slots, more outposts, name change, faction change, etc) is fiiiine.

Paid DLC for performance boosts (mods of various types) is not okay.

Paid DLC for direct product (Top-tier ships, completely free every day, built to your specifications) is a hello kittyin' joke.

If it's literally two programmers and one artist running this circus, I'm pretty sure you can keep them fed with proceeds from selling firework launchers and naked dancing girls. And if you give open-world travel shanty options, ho-ho, holy shit. I'll spend twice the game's worth on that.

You forgot a category :

DLC ships (not 'laser-P2W magic UFO', just... ships devs intend to implement) : great !!! DLC may be the only way to finance and implement some of the ships players and devs want in game.

Your list does not attract much the buyer I am : cosmetic DLC is a bit like dressing a doll (ok once in a while but..) and 'quality of life' DLCs are well... utilitarian (quite a boring purchase ; it could also be a prize in game).

I play NA to sail as many different ships as possible : small and big ones ; built in 1700, in 1750 and in 1800 ; with 1, 2 and 3 masts (I remember a post about a 4-masted schooner, maybe a bit out of timeframe) ; square-rigged vessels and fore-and-aft rigged ones ; ships with marvelous naval sculpture and 'sleek' ones ; warships and traders ; French, Dutch, British, Spanish, all nations...

7 hours ago, John Jacob Astor said:

No.

Adding DLC ships DIRECTLY undercuts objective #3.

DLCs, ships from notes, and captured AI all compete for the same thing: dock space in players inventories.  IF a shipbuilding-based economy is desirable adding more DLC ships will chew at the foundations of it.

So either have economy or don't.  But don't try to do both a shipbuilding economy and DLC ships.

A DLC ship (only one single ship available once a day or whatever) won't kill an economy. It will attract casual players who don't have time / clan to use this Economy and who just want to fight (PvP or PvE) or do a quick trade mission/run.

My 2c.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, LeBoiteux said:

A DLC ship (only one single ship available once a day or whatever) won't kill an economy. It will attract casual players who don't have time / clan to use this Economy and who just want to fight (PvP or PvE) or do a quick trade mission/run.

Fully agreed.

DLC's are good solutions for those who cannot afford crafting time. Full range of war ships (from 7th to 1rst rates) could be available through DLC (one type for each rate, ex : Le requin, Herc, consti, St-Pavel & a first rate), But to be fair toward those who are crafting ships, the DLC's could be "average" fitting with a max of 3 permanent slots with few woods availability. Most crafted ships would have always advantageous habilities. 

While a Herc can be replaced every 24h, a first rate may need 72h to be replaced.

As a result, we might have many more casual players with vareity of roles or interest, not as skilled as "veteran" players but at least with a chance to join battles with descent ships. It might change the OW & RVR theatre with much more actions/events.

• Like 1

Imagine if crafted ships had four or five perm slots while imported ships always had three; Crafted ships would always be preferred but imported ones could be used for their convenience without "destroying" ship crafting eco?

2 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

No. Ships of the line can't be included as DLC, it will destroy RvR. People will spam them, same as herc and requin now.

I would go even further than that, i would like to see the DLC{hercules and le requin}  used only 1 time in 72 hours (the same crafting time as a sol) 

Hercules and the requin , they are now used as garbage and suicidal ships, its a disgrace sometimes.

8 minutes ago, Thonys said:

I would go even further than that, i would like to see the DLC{hercules and le requin}  used only 1 time in 72 hours (the same crafting time as a sol) 

I don't know how many DLC ships there will be in the future but a casual player must always be able to have a few nice DLC ships at his disposal when he wants to play. I guess it depends on two variables : the number of DLC ships per class and the replacement time.

Edited by LeBoiteux

4 hours ago, LeBoiteux said:

My 2c.

Having watched the lower tier of the Charleston market pretty much go into the toilet after the Le Req and Herc were added I will have to disagree with that.

DLCs (as currently structured) in a high enough concentration WILL result in the collapse of the shipbuilding economy in whatever class range they compete against.

Can't have it both ways.  It's just math.  Either have a DLC ship game or a craft economy game.  Pick one.

The only way this mixed system works is if there are SIGNIFICANT advantages to using crafted ships, which are NOT available to a DLC.  Then DLCs would not be using up market oxygen required for crafted ship sales.  This is not currently the case.  And the new insurance is not a big enough driver.

Edited by John Jacob Astor
clarification