Game-Labs Forum

Player-selected ships 2015 - Initial Poll

Barberouge

Multiple choices - at least 1 vote in each category  

427 members have voted

1. 1. From gunboats to frigates (at least 1 vote)

• 1. Axel Thorsen (1810, Danish gunboat)
    • 2. HMS Sultana (1768, British 8-gun schooner)
    • 3. Prince de Neufchatel (1812, American 18-gun schooner)
    • 4. La Belle (1684, French barque)
    • 5. Vileine (1740, French 12-gun brigantine)
    • 6. HMS Wolf (1754, British 10-gun brig)
    • 7. Epervier (1788, French 16-gun brig)
    • 8. USS Niagara (1813, American 20-gun brig)
    • 9. Boullongne (1758, French 20-gun flute)
    • 10. Rattlesnake (1780, American 20-gun corvette)
    • 11. Revenant (1807, French 20-gun corvette)
    • 12. Volage (1797, French 22-gun corvette)
    • 13. Shtandart / Штандарт (1703, Russian 24-gun corvette)
    • 14. Requin (1750, French 24-gun xebec)
    • 15. Chapman's xebec (1768, Algerian 32-gun xebec)
    • 16. Götheborg (1738, Swedish 30-gun indiaman)
    • 17. Amsterdam (1748, Dutch 42-gun indiaman)
    • 18. Turuma-class (1771, Swedish 24-gun frigate galley)
    • 19. Charles (1776, French 40-gun frigate galley)
    • 20. Graña (1778, Spanish 28-gun frigate)
    • 21. Oliphant / Олифант (1705, Russian 32-gun frigate)
    • 22. Amazon-class (1773, British 32-gun frigate)
    • 23. Hermione (1779, French 32-gun frigate)
    • 24. Santa Margarita (1774, Spanish 34-gun frigate)
    • 25. Santa Leocadia (1777, Spanish 34-gun frigate)
    • 26. Vénus (1782, French 38-gun frigate)
    • 27. Venus (1783, Swedish 40-gun frigate)
    • 28. USS Bonhomme Richard (1765, American 42-gun frigate)
    • 29. Gloria Veneta (1794, Venetian 66-gun frigate)
  2. 2. Ships of the line (at least 1 vote)

• 30. HMS Mordaunt (1681, British 46-gun ship)
    • 31. Amarant (1653, Swedish 50-gun ship)
    • 32. HMS Leopard (1790, British 50-gun ship)
    • 33. Öland (1681, Swedish 56-gun ship)
    • 34. Delft (1783, Dutch 56-gun ship)
    • 35. HMS Centurion (1732, British 60-gun ship)
    • 36. Wasa (1778, Swedish 60-gun ship)
    • 37. Fleuron (1729, French 64-gun ship)
    • 38. HMS Agamemnon (1781, British 64-gun ship)
    • 39. Hercules (1783, Dutch 64-gun ship)
    • 40. HMS Indefatigable (1784, British 64-gun ship)
    • 41. Göta Lejon (1745, Swedish 70-gun ship)
    • 42. Konung Adolf Fredrik (1775, Swedish 70-gun ship)
    • 43. Odin (1788, Danish 70-gun ship)
    • 44. Wenden (1706, Danish 72-gun ship)
    • 45. Protecteur (1760, French 74-gun ship)
    • 46. USS America (1782, American 74-gun ship)
    • 47. Téméraire-class (1784, French 74-gun ship)
    • 48. Saint Paul / Святой Павел (1794, Russian 90-gun ship)
    • 49. Bucentaure (1803, French 80-gun ship)
    • 50. Carolus Undecimus (1678, Swedish 82-gun ship)
    • 51. Danneborge (1692, Danish 84-gun ship)
    • 52. Christian VII (1767, Danish 90-gun ship)
    • 53. USS Independence (1814, American 90-gun ship)
    • 54. Soleil Royal (1670, French 104-gun ship)
    • 55. Ville de Paris (1764, French 104-gun ship)
    • 56. Sophia Amalia (1650, Danish 108-gun ship)
    • 57. Frederik IV (1699, Danish 110-gun ship)
    • 58. Océan-class (1788, French 118-gun ship)

I cannot for example understand why people would vote for the USS Independence over the Bucentaure or Christian VII, which are both ships of the same class but from nations not yet represented ingame.

Just feels like a shame to me.

This part I agree with.  The USS Independence wasn't even used in war and as a 1st rate was only ever used in 1 deployment to the Mediterranean by which time the mission was over before it got there.  Why we would need it I have no idea.

• Like 1

Also voted bow, i just don't remember the names of the ships

i just know that none was british as there are already a lot of HMS ships around

Also i voted mkre for smaller ships than for big boys... In the end i think we will see tons of snall vessels around and olny a few bigger ones

• Like 1

I voted for current gaps in the line + nations that need a bit more representation at the moment. 

I voted for:

the Sultana (because schooners are cool)

the Rattlesnake and Revenant, because we don't have any corvettes

the Amsterdam because merchant vessels need love too and the Dutch had one of the biggest merchant fleets ever (although main period that NA deals with comes a bit after our 'golden age')

Delft, because Nethies needs some love and there are no 4th or 5th rates (50-64 guns) in game. Delft is also a decently documented ship. (though any of the 50/60 gun vessels would work well to fill the gap)

Indefatigable, because razees are needed, also again a famous and well documented ship

Temeraire, because like others said, it was THE defining 3rd rate ship

A 2nd rate like that Danish vessel could be useful at this stage as well. Though USS Independence should not be there. As someone pointed out already, that ship was flawed. No heavily flawed ships in game, plz, unless all their deficiences are actually modeled. 

little edit: I don't want to be a nationalistic fanboy here, but if the Yacht we currently have isn't even Dutch-built we really need some Dutch ships in this game. You can't do age of sail without a massive Dutch influence imho. Sure, the brunt of NA is supposed to be second half 18th century and by then we lost our leading position, but c'mon. We were an economic powerhouse during the age of sail, a worldpower even for a little while. Also, when some folks are talking about how some Swedish vessels can open up an interesting niche due to their shallower drafts....uuuhm...helloooo? The Dutch? We've been doing shallow draft for centuries and we were more of a world influence during that age than any Scandinavian nation (sorry, my Scandi friends).

The influence of Dutch shipbuilders can also not be underestimated. We taught Peter the Great about shipbuilding and he went back to Russia and built a fleet (frigate Sthandart. Would be cool to get that in game. Sailing replica exists of her too. I've visited it)

• Like 4

A 2nd rate like that Danish vessel could be useful at this stage as well. Though USS Independence should not be there. As someone pointed out already, that ship was flawed. No heavily flawed ships in game, plz, unless all their deficiences are actually modeled. 

If the USS Independence had a more European approach to its cannons such as 18-24-32/24-24-32/18-18-32 instead of what the navy decreed to have all same weight cannons 32-32-32 on all three decks, that flaw would have been less apparent. That's paraphrased from one of her captains.

If the USS Independence had a more European approach to its cannons such as 18-24-32/24-24-32/18-18-32 instead of what the navy decreed to have all same weight cannons 32-32-32 on all three decks, that flaw would have been less apparent. That's paraphrased from one of her captains.

Still let's have a ship from another nation within this class first before we get anymore US or British ones.

Furthermore as already mentioned the USS Independence was not only flawed but she was also never even used, making it rather odd if she was to be included ingame. As for her lines, she aint that different from the other 2nd rates in terms of shape, thus I cannot see how you'd prefer her over the others for any other reason than the fact that she is a US ship. 

Infact Christian VII looks rather similar:

christviii.jpg

It's all in the paintjob, the 2nd rates don't look that different otherwise with the exception of the stern gallery, a part of the ship which was often modified (The HMS Victory saw its stern gallery changed 3 times).

Regardless I see no point in adding yet another large British or US ship before we have a French, Danish, Swedish or Dutch etc. one first, and esp. not a ship like the USS Independence which didn't even see any operational service and was reputed as a poor ship.

I simply see no reason as to why anyone would vote for the USS Independence if not for reasons of National bias, which I think is a shame.

And it's not because I don't like US or British ships, I love them, infact my favorite ship is the HMS Orion, but I don't think we should see this added before we have some 3rd rates from other countries first, for the sake of diversity and adding interest for people from other nations.

• Like 3

Oh, my bad! I took your comment to be a support of uss independence-I wholeheartedly agree wih you that the ship should not be built. A defective ship of the line, and essentially out of the time period in terms of technology. But I think the vessel in that picture might be the later Christian vii which the Brits took in 1807-the sheer, proportions, tumblehome, batteries, and decorations and rig don't fit with the 1767 one. A British 2nd rate would be boring indeed, being so similar to victory-a whole class was actualy built to the lines of victory, but with reduced batteries. People just vote for them because certain ones are famous and they are British- I doubt they have the broader picture in mind.

• Like 1

Oh, my bad! I took your comment to be a support of uss independence-I wholeheartedly agree wih you that the ship should not be built. A defective ship of the line, and essentially out of the time period in terms of technology. But I think the vessel in that picture might be the later Christian vii which the Brits took in 1807-the sheer, proportions, tumblehome, batteries, and decorations and rig don't fit with the 1767 one. A British 2nd rate would be boring indeed, being so similar to victory-a whole class was actualy built to the lines of victory, but with reduced batteries. People just vote for them because certain ones are famous and they are British- I doubt they have the broader picture in mind.

Exactly, I agree.

As for the Christian VII, yeah you might be right, however again even the 1767 one wouldn't look drastically different with a similar paintjob and a different later style stern gallery - which I do suspect was modernized in 1800.

Still let's have a ship from another nation within this class first before we get anymore US or British ones.

Furthermore as already mentioned the USS Independence was not only flawed but she was also never even used, making it rather odd if she was to be included ingame. As for her lines, she aint that different from the other 2nd rates in terms of shape, thus I cannot see how you'd prefer her over the others for any other reason than the fact that she is a US ship. 

christviii.jpg

Thats Linieskibet Christian VIII , Not Christian VII, This is from about 1849 or soo

Here you go Christian VIII 1841-1849, Same ship as the Picture :P

http://www.navalhistory.dk/danish/Skibene/C/ChristianVIII(1841).htm

• Like 1

-snip-

There is a method to my madness ! I swear ...

For an example of this, here are two ships I consider quite aesthetically pleasing

The French Corvette Revenant                                                          

Gustave+Alaux+corvette+Le+Revenant+1808.

USS Niagara    

1024px-Brig_Niagara_full_sail.jpg

Notice the similarities, then compare to the Independence. I will leave you to draw conclusions :P. Whatever we end up choosing I would be happy with, it is a rather hard choice with all these very lovely ships to pick and choose from.

Two British ships are considerably higher than the USS Independence.  If 20 people removed their votes from each and vote for the Christian if they haven't already it would win.  Also need people to vote for the Rattlesnake and Prince :D

I hope to see very few US ships being that the US was largely itrelevant in this era more Dutch, French and Spanish boats please.

What era is that?  We have ships designed in the late 1700s and early 1800s.  The USS Constitution caused the British to design a super frigate and completely redesign their 3rd rates.  The Constitution was launched in 1797.  That means the game should be set in the Napoleonic/War 1812 period in my opinion. 

You know, when the irrelevant US navy took on the British navy.  Why keep designing games based in the 1600s and 1700s in the Caribbean?  That theme and eras are over done immensely.

And again, the largest society is currently a US society, so the US should probably be in the game.  Otherwise, we might as well take out the Lynx, Constitution, and Trincomalee for that matter.  The first Leda class frigate was launched in 1805...

Lynx (1812)

HMS Trincomalee (1817)

Leda Class Frigate (first 1805)

USS Constitution/US Superfrigates (1797)

Surprise/Unite (1794)

HMS Bellona (1760-1814)

HMS Victory (1765)

HMS Ontario (1780)

Santissima Trinidad (1769)

Two British ships are considerably higher than the USS Independence.  If 20 people removed their votes from each and vote for the Christian if they haven't already it would win.  Also need people to vote for the Rattlesnake and Prince :D

Indeed, no doubt the majority of the playerbase is US & Commonwealth, hence the higher percentage of votes on ships from these factions. 

What era is that?  We have ships designed in the late 1700s and early 1800s.  The USS Constitution caused the British to design a super frigate and completely redesign their 3rd rates.  The Constitution was launched in 1797.  That means the game should be set in the Napoleonic/War 1812 period in my opinion. 

You know, when the irrelevant US navy took on the British navy.  Why keep designing games based in the 1600s and 1700s in the Caribbean?  That theme and eras are over done immensely.

And again, the largest society is currently a US society, so the US should probably be in the game.  Otherwise, we might as well take out the Lynx and Constitution (and Trincomalee for that matter).

The British had Razeed 3rd rate 10 year before the constitution and had also build heavy frigates similar to constitution based on the captured french frigate Hebe prior to their encounter with constitution. US had some good ships but are really just a interesting sidenote in the age of sail.
  • Like 1

The British had Razeed 3rd rate 10 year before the constitution and had also build heavy frigates similar to constitution based on the captured french frigate Hebe prior to their encounter with constitution. US had some good ships but are really just a interesting sidenote in the age of sail.

I think you need to read a little into Britain's response to the US Superfrigates.