Game-Labs Forum

Player-selected ships 2015 - Initial Poll

Barberouge

Multiple choices - at least 1 vote in each category  

427 members have voted

1. 1. From gunboats to frigates (at least 1 vote)

• 1. Axel Thorsen (1810, Danish gunboat)
    • 2. HMS Sultana (1768, British 8-gun schooner)
    • 3. Prince de Neufchatel (1812, American 18-gun schooner)
    • 4. La Belle (1684, French barque)
    • 5. Vileine (1740, French 12-gun brigantine)
    • 6. HMS Wolf (1754, British 10-gun brig)
    • 7. Epervier (1788, French 16-gun brig)
    • 8. USS Niagara (1813, American 20-gun brig)
    • 9. Boullongne (1758, French 20-gun flute)
    • 10. Rattlesnake (1780, American 20-gun corvette)
    • 11. Revenant (1807, French 20-gun corvette)
    • 12. Volage (1797, French 22-gun corvette)
    • 13. Shtandart / Штандарт (1703, Russian 24-gun corvette)
    • 14. Requin (1750, French 24-gun xebec)
    • 15. Chapman's xebec (1768, Algerian 32-gun xebec)
    • 16. Götheborg (1738, Swedish 30-gun indiaman)
    • 17. Amsterdam (1748, Dutch 42-gun indiaman)
    • 18. Turuma-class (1771, Swedish 24-gun frigate galley)
    • 19. Charles (1776, French 40-gun frigate galley)
    • 20. Graña (1778, Spanish 28-gun frigate)
    • 21. Oliphant / Олифант (1705, Russian 32-gun frigate)
    • 22. Amazon-class (1773, British 32-gun frigate)
    • 23. Hermione (1779, French 32-gun frigate)
    • 24. Santa Margarita (1774, Spanish 34-gun frigate)
    • 25. Santa Leocadia (1777, Spanish 34-gun frigate)
    • 26. Vénus (1782, French 38-gun frigate)
    • 27. Venus (1783, Swedish 40-gun frigate)
    • 28. USS Bonhomme Richard (1765, American 42-gun frigate)
    • 29. Gloria Veneta (1794, Venetian 66-gun frigate)
  2. 2. Ships of the line (at least 1 vote)

• 30. HMS Mordaunt (1681, British 46-gun ship)
    • 31. Amarant (1653, Swedish 50-gun ship)
    • 32. HMS Leopard (1790, British 50-gun ship)
    • 33. Öland (1681, Swedish 56-gun ship)
    • 34. Delft (1783, Dutch 56-gun ship)
    • 35. HMS Centurion (1732, British 60-gun ship)
    • 36. Wasa (1778, Swedish 60-gun ship)
    • 37. Fleuron (1729, French 64-gun ship)
    • 38. HMS Agamemnon (1781, British 64-gun ship)
    • 39. Hercules (1783, Dutch 64-gun ship)
    • 40. HMS Indefatigable (1784, British 64-gun ship)
    • 41. Göta Lejon (1745, Swedish 70-gun ship)
    • 42. Konung Adolf Fredrik (1775, Swedish 70-gun ship)
    • 43. Odin (1788, Danish 70-gun ship)
    • 44. Wenden (1706, Danish 72-gun ship)
    • 45. Protecteur (1760, French 74-gun ship)
    • 46. USS America (1782, American 74-gun ship)
    • 47. Téméraire-class (1784, French 74-gun ship)
    • 48. Saint Paul / Святой Павел (1794, Russian 90-gun ship)
    • 49. Bucentaure (1803, French 80-gun ship)
    • 50. Carolus Undecimus (1678, Swedish 82-gun ship)
    • 51. Danneborge (1692, Danish 84-gun ship)
    • 52. Christian VII (1767, Danish 90-gun ship)
    • 53. USS Independence (1814, American 90-gun ship)
    • 54. Soleil Royal (1670, French 104-gun ship)
    • 55. Ville de Paris (1764, French 104-gun ship)
    • 56. Sophia Amalia (1650, Danish 108-gun ship)
    • 57. Frederik IV (1699, Danish 110-gun ship)
    • 58. Océan-class (1788, French 118-gun ship)

I voted 3 per cathegory.

Small ships and frigates:

-Prince de Neufchatel: My expectation is to be a privateer when open sea happens, this would be an ideal corsair ship. Enough guns to be a threat to larger merchants, fore and aft to run away from bigger square riggers. This would be one of my main to-go ships.

-Santa Margarita

-Santa Leocadia : Both of them same reason. I still think the gap between Snow and Surprise is far too wide. And they're both spanish ships. and I'm spanish. So... :).

SOLs:

-Temeraire

-Bucentaure

-Ocean

I think that the primary goal of NA should be at least giving the largest worldwide naval powers of the XVIII century some representation in the ship lines. In the late XVIII century the strongest world-wide naval powers were UK, France and Spain. Spain has the Santisima (and I voted for 2 spanish ships in the frigate cathegory). The UK has...well, it has almost every ship in the lineup exception made for the Constitution. France has nothing and it was the 2nd largest naval power of the era. It desperately needs proper representation. So one each: 3rd rate, 2nd rate, 1st rate, to give them room in the game.

• Like 2

You are right Ramjb

But we are definitely working on other ships in parallel and French ships are planned.

This player select vote is the opportunity to bring a unique or beautiful special ship into the game. This is also an opportunity to make something outside of reason or gaps in the line up.

For example if we did not have this vote last year we would not have Santisima because it's a brick and it sank etc - but players wanted it and it is now sailing in the game.

Vote on things you as a player would love to sail or try or fight against. Basically vote with your heart more than with your brain, even if it does not fill some gap.

• Like 1

RamJB take a look at the french 64 trust me she is pure Eyecandy and there will be another Frigate soonw ich is WiP since some time.

admin can you please post wich ships you have almost finished since finding the informationa gain is kinda meh

specially since one is a 64gun 3rd rate voting for another one is not really usefull same for a 2nd rate for that there was another thread.

or the 2 Frigates the generic one that gets reworked and the French one

French La Belle Poule

WjH1J6l.jpg

ndpCNDT.jpg

64 gun 
40Yg27i.jpg

I only voted for a few ships. I went with the xebec because it would be advantageous to test different sail plans. I voted for the large Indiaman since we need that to be closer to an open world game with all its elements. The sooner the better imo. I also voted for the Dutch 60 gunner as that seems to fill a gap. I really wanted to vote for a spanish 60ish gunner as Spain was a major power but none were available so the next best nation to choose from that needs to be recognized is the Dutch in my opinion.

I voted 3 per cathegory.

Small ships and frigates:

-Prince de Neufchatel: My expectation is to be a privateer when open sea happens, this would be an ideal corsair ship. Enough guns to be a threat to larger merchants, fore and aft to run away from bigger square riggers. This would be one of my main to-go ships.

-Santa Margarita

-Santa Leocadia : Both of them same reason. I still think the gap between Snow and Surprise is far too wide. And they're both spanish ships. and I'm spanish. So... :).

SOLs:

-Temeraire

-Bucentaure

-Ocean

I think that the primary goal of NA should be at least giving the largest worldwide naval powers of the XVIII century some representation in the ship lines. In the late XVIII century the strongest world-wide naval powers were UK, France and Spain. Spain has the Santisima (and I voted for 2 spanish ships in the frigate cathegory). The UK has...well, it has almost every ship in the lineup exception made for the Constitution. France has nothing and it was the 2nd largest naval power of the era. It desperately needs proper representation. So one each: 3rd rate, 2nd rate, 1st rate, to give them room in the game.

I don't entirely disagree with you, but the French actually have a few ships here. They're just more famous for having been captured and used by the British.

Which is also the case with the other American ship we have.

20gun Flute or should we call her indiaman since she looks like one instead of the general Flute

then ofcurse the other 3 amsterdamm and the swedish one + the american 42 wich is an french indiaman given to the US.

the Spanish 32gun. Rattlesnake

SoL i took roughly same amount but my favorite is the French 64 gun followed by the Swedish 60-70guns

they look all wonderfull maybe i simply found one ship out of my own pocket

This player select vote is the opportunity to bring a unique or beautiful special ship into the game. This is also an opportunity to make something outside of reason or gaps in the line up.

Exotic ships it is then! *cough*Xebecs*cough*

facepalm.

Make other nation ships present, ppl. Dutch, Sweden, Alger will be ok. Not Britain or USA AGAIN

Well considering the largest nations in the game will probably be Britain and US, that is the reason why a lot of people are voting for those.

Well considering the largest nations in the game will probably be Britain and US, that is the reason why a lot of people are voting for those.

I can see how Britain will be the largest faction, but I can't ever imagine US with like a dozen-ship fleet, newly created from 0 for a single purpose of combating pirates being a major faction. Real major factions instead should be France, Spain and Netherlands as they used to be. US comes in the second pool after Sweden, Russia, Turkey, Denmark and Portugal, or so. At least that's how it would be historically accurate.

From the first list I picked:

Hermione (1779, French 32-gun frigate)

Santa Leocadia (1777, Spanish 34-gun frigate)

At first glance it makes little sense to pick two ships that are that close together but I felt like this would be a nice alternative to Surprise.

The midfield is also something I would expect many players to spend quite some time on so having diversity there would be beneficial for player customization.

From the second list I picked:

HMS Agamemnon (1781, British 64-gun ship)

HMS Indefatigable (1784, British 64-gun ship)

Bucentaure (1803, French 80-gun ship)

Of course I would vote for the ship I suggested: Agamemnon. I stay by my reasoning that ships of that size probably get a lot of use since they should be relatively easily achievable and maintainable by players.

It makes in this context no sense to vote for Indefatigable as well since both ships are of the Ardent class and the difference would be minor BUT I very much would like to see Indefatigable in its later razeed state! – Then it makes sense and afaik we don’t have a Razee yet.

Bucentaure gets my vote for the same reason as Agamemnon. It’s either a bigger 3rd rate or a small 2nd rate. Still something people may achieve and maintain with reasonable playing habits.

I think there is a minor mistake on the list

When people talk about Temeraire - they think of the british second rate (98gun), that saw a lot of fighting and even had a mutiny.

It sure isn't on the list as a second rate  ;)

107 of that class were produced.  More than any other 74 gun third rate by far.  They were THE 74s.  So, if no one can tell, I really want it in the game  :D

• Like 1

I can see how Britain will be the largest faction, but I can't ever imagine US with like a dozen-ship fleet, newly created from 0 for a single purpose of combating pirates being a major faction. Real major factions instead should be France, Spain and Netherlands as they used to be. US comes in the second pool after Sweden, Russia, Turkey, Denmark and Portugal, or so. At least that's how it would be historically accurate.

The largest society right now is a US society and there are several US societies.  The US navy might have been small but the US had hundreds of privateers.  US action on the seas was primarily a private enterprise.

• Like 2

US ships actually look different and cool with their black/dark blue coloring, most other ships are yellow-black copy pastes (for some1 like who is new to age of sail). 

Personally I voted mostly for smaller ships i'd like to sail as a pirate coz atm the only choice is snow (brig ftl).

voted for 

Santa Margarita(34)

Santa Leocadia (34)

because Spanish frigate design rarely gets a showcase, and one of these ships would well fill a gap inbetween Trincomalee, Axonalias's frigate, and Surprise. 

Wasa-1778-(64)-by far the most interesting 64, and a beautiful vessel to boot. Has the tactical advantage of being shallower than many other ships of the line, so could dominate battles in waters too shallow for other battleships-creating a real role for the 64 beyond just being an economy 74. A good showcase of Chapman and Swedish Naval architecture. Slightly less powerful than a conventional 64 but I think her unique qualities should make up for that.

Bucentaure(80) a fine example of a JN Sane design, with enough power and speed to lead powerful squadrons of 74s-which have a good chance to outrun any fleet with 1st and second rates, while overpowering anything without. Counting the prototype Tonnant class, 29 were built. THE fearsome French 80 gun ship

Christian VII(90) a beautiful and unique second rate that doesn't look like the Victory to all but the most trained eyes. Gives Denmark a foothold ingame (they made some very fine vessels and fought them hard, 1807 was a damn shame) adds variety to the lineup that would not be gained with a British second rate. 

The largest society right now is a US society and there are several US societies.  The US navy might have been small but the US had hundreds of privateers.  US action on the seas was primarily a private enterprise.

Sure. That doesn't mean, hovever, that every single american ship ever built must be modelled here, at least not before such reknown milestones of the time as Bucentaure or Redoubtable. Well, generally speaking it is my private opinion, I guess the polls is what matters at the end.

Sure. That doesn't mean, hovever, that every single american ship ever built must be modelled here, at least not before such reknown milestones of the time as Bucentaure or Redoubtable. Well, generally speaking it is my private opinion, I guess the polls is what matters at the end.

Who said anything about "every single american ship ever built must be modelled here"?

Prince de Neufchatel is the only 18 gun schooner mentioned in the list.  Rattlesnake is a 20 gun corvette that has 3 masts and wasn't used on the Great Lakes so is quite different than the snow.  Can I say that not every ship in this game must be a line ship or 4th or 5th rate?  We should be heavier on the small and medium ships than anything else.

• Like 1

I'd bet there will be a large American set of players, which means it doesn't matter how strong they were in the actual Age of Sail. There are a lot of us who have expendable income for videogames. :)

Also, a ship can be with any nation, just matters which flag you put on top of it. The Lynx was an American privateer, but was captured by the British. The Surprise was the French Unite, captured, renamed, and copied.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't have a good representation from all nations, but I don't think it matters if they're in even numbers or proportioned based on the size of the navies at the time.

• Like 1