Game-Labs Forum

Open world UI feedback (2018)

20 hours ago, admin said:

map is fully hand drawn. and artists do not speak english. 
Check the steam page: first selling point of the game is bugs and typos are just the bugs. 

I don't know what source your artist uses for geographical names but Gulfo de Maracaibo = Gulf of Venezuela

link 1

link 2

• Like 1

All in all,  the new UI is a big step up from the old one.

Just one observation - Can no longer see which county I am sailing in, which in the event of long haul or low visibility or sailing well offshore and unable  to identify navigation marks, can make traversing the map a lot more "Hit and Miss".

• Like 1

+ I like the map police and land detail.

- I don't like how grey the sea is on the map, at least give the shallows a pretty Turquoise blue color, right now they just looks grey and the sea looks Feldgrau, not blue at all..

+ I like the "enter port" illustration but i would prefer it to appear in the bottom of my screen. Also i think the illustration fits for capitals, maybe deep water port, but shallow ports could have a more "fishing/contraband harbour" feeling instead of this "continental large town".

+ I like the illustration when clicking on a ship in OW but as it have been suggested, it would be more usefull and intuitive if the illustration was showing  if it's an unique ship or a fleet (multiple suggestions have been made in that way). This would help  counter the non-intuitive ow unique-ship modeled. Repreasenting it in a round / scope sights lens-like would also look better.

-  Buttons and windows looks very blocky/rigid

- Fishing/ Hold / etc.. icons are too discreet. I personaly would prefer them to be on the left of my screen. Having to hover to read what they are for seems unintuitive, and the hover text is very small. I think the text should appear under or over the icon at all time.

- Shallow indicator is too small and blue, it's hard to notice. Having the shallow highlighted directly around our ship on the open world would be the best option. Otherwise keep the previous one

- Compas looks WIP and you said it is so i will wait.

- Sadly the OW ui looks less intuitive and clear than the alpha one. And not much immersive appart for the map and the few painting/artworks. The ui still feels cold. I was expecting something more atmospheric.

48 minutes ago, Capn Rocko said:

@admin the "To group" button is bad grammar as it is a preposition (not an action word). I think it should say "Invite" instead. "To group" is poor English and should not be used imo. 

group.png

Maybe just Group? or Fleet?

4 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

What about the chat windows? Do they not count towards OW UI?

Chat is one of the most used features and we decided not to touch it unless absolutely sure new chat is better (must be readable and not obtrusive). So chat will be updated after port UI most likely or just freshened up. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, admin said:

Now that the dust have settled. What are your thoughts and potential improvements going forward?

Potential looks great. As I said, UI looks clean and good for a release.

I just hope that we get more information and less unnecessary clicks and "mouseover." I enjoy the ships pictures and some other artwork, but I wish it didn't take so much of the screen and since it doesn't add any visual information (for when you click on enemy or allied shios in OW) I am perplexed and wish it did.

Basically, if more information could be given using less space, that's what I'd like. Doesn't mean you have make things smaller, just be efficient with the space used.

Edited by Teutonic
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, admin said:

Now that the dust have settled. What are your thoughts and potential improvements going forward?

World map edges cut too close, those ports are almost on the edge, expand sides. 

Make more icons (each fish, each wood type etc.. )

Make more art (fleets, ports), each should be different

Improve buttons and compact them

Reduce window size and change their shapes, add transparency around edges and let shapes stick out outside the box

More art like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=old+decorative+art&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg:CRvfWWVKASOVIjg3agALOsTOszzHFgpW2MAGlpOu-cGFUiYa19254WWDgoAXZUQL1PkwMEBjoK2YNH8glj0PBb2vmSoSCTdqAAs6xM6zEWw2-UkkNL5sKhIJPMcWClbYwAYRryp-viNjy2gqEgmWk675wYVSJhGM1h9YtiVc8SoSCRrX3bnhZYOCESaT5gL5lPPsKhIJgBdlRAvU-TARIMs0kTC_1ARkqEgkwQGOgrZg0fxHN1miu9pqIMSoSCSCWPQ8Fva-ZEUK1jtiLgRwL&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi5hpiE4-nbAhUD0oMKHds4DcAQ9C96BAgBEBg&biw=1394&bih=840&dpr=1#imgrc=3mKkgQmXVRAnZM:

Timers decorations:

https://www.istockphoto.com/vector/old-paper-with-decorative-letter-w-gm181844701-23984979

I would Use this type of illustration style in all game art. Just my taste ;). 

Edited by Wind

37 minutes ago, admin said:

• battles in reinforcement zones which you can't enter on the side which is not protected should be somehow marked. Sailing to them to get information that you can only enter protected side is quite strange
  • map interface looks great. There are a few remarks I hear:
    • Many people would like to see grid back
    • when you search for port on the outskirts of the map, map doesn't zoom into this port and it's hard to find it
  • hold and fleet interface look great. Some remarks:
    • it would be cool to see hold load percentage on hold view (like on fleet view)
    • right-click menu in hold somehow doesn't fit in style to the rest
  • OW interface looks great, there are also some minor remarks I hear:
    • interface icons could be scalable
    • when clicking on battle, BR could be shown right away
    • chat could be aligned to interface style (but I hear you plan to do this later anyway)
    • switch "to group" text to "group up"

Overall, great job :) 

Edited by vazco
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, admin said:

How I would like to have my UI with given tools.

146658909_UIChanged.thumb.jpg.efcaa073db386486b6481bc252b4f82d.jpg

Changes:

• Attack circle indicates which RoE applies
  • Target info window size 40% smaller + info always visible without hovering over it
  • Fleet + Upgrade windows 50& smaller
  • Mod cards from NAL added to mods (see studdingsails)
  • all Status indicators moved to 1 location (upper left) and show seconds as well.
  • Speed and Sail status moved out of the compass
Edited by z4ys
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, Intrepido said:

My guess regarding blue, grey is that its optimized for color blind people. All other colors might screw the UI for them. So why make 2 UIs when you could just make 1 for all.

49 minutes ago, z4ys said:
  • Target info window size 40% smaller + info always visible without hovering over it
  • Fleet + Upgrade windows 50& smaller

On my big screen they look great, however I agree they could be smaller on 1920x1080. It would be great if they could scale.

Great remark regarding color of the circle based on RoE.

Edited by vazco