Game-Labs Forum

Drop provisions as material for ship building.

Make them may be cheaper to produce.

They should be consumables.

1 provision allow 1 crew to survive 1/3/7 days at sea (to be balanced).

A ship out of provisions will take crew damage (approx 20%?) every day at sea without.

This would give something useful and surely needed to produce for new players/low in crafting.

At the same time, will make operations afar from friendly ports more difficult ti do (as should be) and again, the more crew you bring (also with extra hammocks), the heavier the loadout if ship... And granted my other post (and actual game mechanics) the ship slower.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, SKurj said:

They are cheap to produce now, but I agree they should be a consumable.

there was a debate some time ago (maybe 1.5 years :))

Long range frigates were usually supplied for 6 months at sea, average days at sea currently do not exceed 20 days. It was decided against using provisions as consumable as a result. 

• Like 14

1 hour ago, admin said:

Long range frigates were usually supplied for 6 months at sea, average days at sea currently do not exceed 20 days. It was decided against using provisions as consumable as a result. 

Ok thats fair, I know my longest I think has been around 13 days.

Do you have any measure of the average lifespan of the ships in game?  Not days at sea in one sitting, but days at sea between built and sunk?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, admin said:

First, thanks for reply: I didnt remember. I know real provisions and range... Still our ships have a far more busy life, and I still think some real issues operating afar from friendly bases should be in place. Thanks again

1 minute ago, Licinio Chiavari said:

First, thanks for reply: I didnt remember. I know real provisions and range... Still our ships have a far more busy life, and I still think some real issues operating afar from friendly bases should be in place. Thanks again

There are - hull and rig repairs + the magic of rum..

6 minutes ago, Bearwall said:

There are - hull and rig repairs + the magic of rum..

Rum IS actually magic: you can see a lot of stuffs when you drink it a lot or you drink it in a bar and then wake yourself up in an ospital bed but you don’t know how you reached it... :D

Edited by blubasso

1 hour ago, admin said:

Of course, it is better to focus on the development of unrealistic aids than to develop realistic mechanics and that would give a greater depth to the game, live the thinking minds of this game! that's how it goes

36 minutes ago, Malachi said:

What would be the 'greater depth' that provisions would add to the game?

Logistics.

Operating limits.

The more afar from bases you move, the more loaded you'll be so the slower.

As I stated elsewhere, as my proposals have to be seen as a whole, one hull, one rig and one crew repairs per battle. OW repairs on cooldown (no cooldown only in draughts); so usually less reps on board than now.

Or some players want only to sail without limits and show how good they are destroying 1 mast with first broadside at over 200mt, that's typically highly realistic?

Edited by Licinio Chiavari
Completed

44 minutes ago, Licinio Chiavari said:

The more afar from bases you move, the more loaded you'll be so the slower.

Why that? The vast majority of vessels were designed with a certain LWL in mind and the base for these calculations usually were the weights for 4 or 6 months of provisions.

Some ships even 'liked' to be filled up to the brim and performed best when deeply laden, e.g. Slade´s Niger-class or the Livelys.

44 minutes ago, Licinio Chiavari said:

Or some players want only to sail without limits and show how good they are destroying 1 mast with first broadside at over 200mt, that's typically highly realistic?

You´re right about our laser-guided gunnery, but provisions wouldn´t be a 'good' limit and would add nothing the actual gameplay, in my opinion.

Edited by Malachi
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Malachi said:

You´re right about our laser-guided gunnery, but provisions wouldn´t be a 'good' limit and would add nothing the actual gameplay, in my opinion.

I already stated that demasting has to be nerfed to make it a bit closer to reality. Up now I saw replies from Devs/Admins making me thinking there is no commitment on this.

Aside being totally weird - granted a lot of captains, even those good at demasting, are saying our laser guided cannons are out of reality - I'm looking to alternatives to add realism and gama balance, making the kiting+demasting metagame (utter crap IMO) more difficult.

Slowing ships down - requiring raiders to load more stuff - as in this post is a small step.

Reworking speed/wood relation is another solution (here: 

) is another. In my above idea, the concept is making fir ships even less good.

At the moment between the 2 extremes (LO/WO and fir/fir) we are talking about 20% speed difference that's simply enormous... granted that the real difference on total displacement should be less relevant.

Still the simplest remain, IMO, as posted on last Hotfix thread: add mast HP bar then double or more maximum HP, then make sail damage reducing mast Max HP.

Example. Now mast hp is 200. New max mast HP is 400 x sail condition. If Sail are at 70% mast HP will be 280...because the more rigs (and so shrouds and stays) are damaged, the more unstable the mast will be.

Extra: add mast damage upon collisions and a Damage over Time on mast HP during backward movement (extra dangerous stress). The higher the backward speed, the higher the Damage over Time.

5 hours ago, Iroquois Confederacy said:

I think I might have the record for combat patrols, at 60 days at sea.  But those are up to Bermuda and back, and living off the repairs I loot off other players.

I think I had around 40 something on Dead In the Red pre wipe from patrolling the Gulf of Mexico with my Reno. I remember it was right before they brought in the first ship wreck treasure fleet event as he was all ready in that area when one popped and I didn't even go after ship wrecks just stayed out there hitting trade ships.  Logged out and than back in and continue my patrol hunt along the Mexico/Texas coast. Use to catch AFK trade ships all the time over there on PvP2.

Edited by Sir Texas Sir

My longest voyage was about 52 days at sea, in my Lynx.  When I sailed from La Navase, up around Morimer, back down around Haiti, to Puerto Rico, down to the South American coastline,  all they to the Yucatan and back to Jamaica.

2 hours ago, admin said:

there is a streamer who ran a challenge recently - he never entered port living off the sea. I wonder how many days he finished at. 
@Hethwill do you remember this guy?

Can't say I remember his name, we crossed his path a few times near Belize, Salamanca inlets, and in some other area.

He was running the 100 days at sea and as far as I know he did them, living of nothing but raided ships.

He was using a Prince de Neufchattel all the times we crossed his routes.

This would be an actual cool achievement they could add to steam later on.  Along with if you have visited every port and other things.  We really need to have things like that in the game.  Gives you something to do other than just kill each other.  Remember there are all types of players out there that enjoy stuff.  Even if you got a special paint or title as the reward it would give folks added content to do in game.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

This would be an actual cool achievement they could add to steam later on.  Along with if you have visited every port and other things.  We really need to have things like that in the game.  Gives you something to do other than just kill each other.  Remember there are all types of players out there that enjoy stuff.  Even if you got a special paint or title as the reward it would give folks added content to do in game.

Good luck getting even a headnod.

http://forum.game-labs.net/topic/24339-future-achievements/