Game-Labs Forum

Are ranging shots realistic ?

From another forum:

"Still, even Naval Action has elements that make me feel disappointed. They have a gunnery system that means you fire ranging shots unitl one starts to hit, and only then do you fire a broadside. That is weird and shouldn't be the way the game works."

My response:

I agree about the ranging shots but also wonder if this is the way it was done at least in chases. Most people only use ranging at very long ranges once they get used to judging shot. Currently the AI does not use ranging at all because it "just know"... evil AI!
However I think of ranging shots just like the captain walking along the side and firing each gun in turn until he gets it right. This would have happened with gun section commanders I imagine anyway at least to begin with or at long range. We certainly do know that they did aim the cannon individually. Something you cannot do with as the captian in this game unless you use ranging shots. Ranging shots were also not completely unknown. The british did it at trafalgar as a way to warm up the guns.
I thus think it is a gameplay element which makes sense and certainly could have happened.
Some people in game are firing their entire broadside individually with the ranging shot button.
Ranging shots are simply single shots in game. This basically means the shots get fired one at a time from bow to stern.

This is entirely possible..... and if you want to be strictly realistic just fire the broadside right away.

Ranging shots in the broadside of a large ship are not realistic. But who cares? It's good feature that prevents the gameplay from being frustrating or even less realistic due to magical aids and sniper cannon.

A good gunner knows that at a certain (estimated) range, you have to aim at the maintopmast cap. In a smaller vessel, a gun captain could indeed fire a ranging shot, and then advise the gun captains near him what point to align the barrel at. Of course, on a large vessel in the heat of combat this becomes impossible.

• Like 1

I'm not sure where the original quote comes from, but historically no sane captain would fire his broadside at range without at least a couple of ranging shots, as such i think the game brings in a very accurate and usable system for judging your broadside accuracy.

I'm not sure you would walk the entire length of each gundeck on Victory firing single 'space bar' shots for the entire ships sides, but certainly in smaller ships/vessels firing individually would be possible, and having a gun captain or other officer aiming each shot was not unheard of, but on ships with multiple decks, each would have its own gun captain or even multiple gun captains per deck.

I have posted elswehere my thoughts on dispersion for when that broadside arrives on target.

From another forum:

"Still, even Naval Action has elements that make me feel disappointed. They have a gunnery system that means you fire ranging shots unitl one starts to hit, and only then do you fire a broadside. That is weird and shouldn't be the way the game works."

Users of that forums are provided with the opportunity to fire full broadside without single using shots. I would love to have them as enemies more often :)

Also they are trapped in the realism tunnel and start to contradict themselves - they went into that tunnel so far that now they are trying to implement limits that did not exist in real life. Captain could fire a single cannon. They want to take it away. Those forum users also forget that broadside is actually a collection of single cannon shots fired together. Ship is not a shotgun.

Also realism is the main limit of human imagination ;)

Check this

from "A Treatise on Naval Gunnery" by Howard Douglas:

367. When a vessel heels much, or there is any motion, the concentrated fire of a ship's batteries must be given simultaneously in broadsides, or by divisions,* either of which methods is objectionable, and should be avoided as much as possible. Firing by volleys, in the naval service in particular, is extremely objectionable, and is rarely as efficacious as the independent and deliberate firing of one or two well-directed and well-served guns. Perhaps, as stated in Colonel Stevens's interesting pamphlet,b it may be doubted whether the somewhat complicated system of concentration may not be carried too far, and 'whether it is likely to prove as efficient as the independent and quick firing of guns conducted in the ordinary manner. The moral, as well as the mate rial, effect would probably be greater if the same num ber of guns were fired independently, according to the skill and judgment of well-trained captains of guns, who, each seizing the favourable moment, might spread destruction throughout the enemy's ship.

I think we can imagine it as tracking shot

and also this

397. Whether pursuing or pursued, the only chance of stopping an enemy is by bringing down some of his rifrjring ; it is therefore most important to consider the best mode of effecting this. The random aim of a whole broadside battery will be much less likely to accomplish it than the cool and careful use of one well served gun. Hauling-up, or bearing away, to rake a flying, or a pursuing enemy, always produces a very random volley ; for as the change of course must occasion much loss of distance, it is necessary to perform it so quickly that the effect is seldom good, the distance, or range, altering very much before the vessel conies to a position proper for opening her broadside fire. This alteration of position brings with it a great and un known alteration in the ship's inclination ; consequently a considerable change in the elevation at which the ordnance may have been laid, and which there is not time to correct. It is almost incredible, indeed, how little effect is produced by this sort of raking fire ; and the observation requires therefore to be supported by facts. In a certain action, a 74-gun ship bore up across the stern of an 84, to rake her, at a cable's length dis tance, in moderate weather and smooth water. The 74 had been upon a wind, and not having, perhaps, allowed for the alteration of elevation that would take place after bearing up, not one shot took effect ! A proof of what may be effected against the personnel of a ship by yawing, and giving a close raking fire of well-directed grape, was gallantly shown by the " Inconstant," commanded by the late Admiral (then Captain) Freemantle, who, keeping in the wake of a line-of-battle ship, gave a raking fire of grape with tremendous effect upon her people, who were very much exposed in striving to clear the wreck of her topmasts, which had been carried away by an overpress of sail.

• Like 1

Ink, all your second quote is saying is that a bow chaser is more accurate and useful than yawing the ship to bring a whole broadside to bear. Which sort of proves the point that tracking shots are useful for finding the range of a single gun, and informing a single gunner, but can't really be used to improve the results of an entire broadside.

But again, it's a good feature that has at least some basis in real practice. It just treats the ship as a hivemind, something that is very common in videogame abstractions.

Complaining about ranging shots is very silly when the guns all have 22-nd century-quality hydraulic servos and stabilization mechanisms. :P

• Like 1

Rolling broadside are completely necessary for raking fire.

Yet our current broadsides are probably much more reflective of the number of shots that would actually strike the target. Given increased damage and "weak" stern hull, do we really want every shot in a broadside going into the stern? It seems to me that even with a reduced number of shots hitting, we still get much larger numbers of crew killed, which should be the primary advantage of a raking broadside.

In the storm events I found myself using spacebar a lot more often than full broadsides since the waves can F**k off your aim horribly. I disable all but one battery and use the range shots to get effective fire into my enemy.

I hit about 80% of my shots. If firing the whole broadside Ill get about 30% of hits a MOST because the broadside is at such a long timing that only the first few can hit home.

Ranging shots are nessesary. Its not a removable feature.

As devs stated we are playing/testing a game, not a simulation.

And as a game mechanic its simply genious!

Ranging shots were sometimes used, but real life tactics of raking fire at point blank ranges or both ships broadsiding it out are far more fun and real life like. While cannons could fire at up to about 1KM (3000+ feet) they rarely ever hit another ship, maybe a big fort but not a ship.

I haven't played yet but all the good players seem to close the gap and tail rake and ranging is hardly required... I think that the guns could be a bit more inaccurate (making ranging slightly less effective as your ranger could hit but could be out).

With what accuracy Thomas, it's a known fact that 1st raters could hardly damage each other at past 800-1000 yards, mainly because it was like hitting an ant 5 meters away with a pin.

Even in WW2 smaller ships hardly got hit at over 1KM and it took many shots to hit a well aimed shot at weak armour (yes line ships don't have the armour but are far less accurate)... this is farther proven by tank ranges of that time, and even a 50mm tank shell in WW2 had better penetration then a high caliber black powder weapon...

I'm not saying they can't hit, but I think cannonballs should spin off and lose accuracy past 600FT.