Game-Labs Forum

Powerful? Unlimited rig repairs and the fact chain doesn't take down mast so if you really want to stop someone yoj are switching to ball. 

Double headed shots were actually really quite limited in supply for all ships in navies except the USA, who carried a lot more than anyone else. Generally speaking most ships of the line carried around 4-5 broadsides of chain shot while frigates would carry 6-7 worth. I'm personally in favour of limiting all ammunition in the game, with much more severe limitations to anti personnel and double headed shot. If a game as casual as call of duty does it, why does a much more hardcore game not, bearing in mind the size of traditional stocks of ammunition within a ships store its not like it would be a big problem, with most ships carrying around 60 broadsides worth with 70-90 of powder, limiting ammunition to each battle instance would go a long way to making the game more authentic without restricting gameplay much, but if anything making it a lot more tactical.

Edited by Fluffy Fishy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Flinch said:

Powerful? Unlimited rig repairs and the fact chain doesn't take down mast so if you really want to stop someone yoj are switching to ball. 

Then they must be limited again. I also think that the parts you repair shouldn't perform like they are pefectly new. For example: If you try to repair a mast in battle it should be only a temporary solution to keep the ship sailing somehow and in no way have the performance and stats of the original mast. Same for hull repairs.

Unlimited chain sometimes lead to very boring battles, where the weather gage becomes the disadvantageous position, if your opponent makes the decision to not fight but run downwind and chain you to death, while you can't reach him. It is a viable tactic to cripple an enemy first and defeat him later or escape but with the unlimited supply, the accuracy of chain and the high sail damage it can go on for the whole battle. The best you can do now if you encounter this is to turn around and leave imho.

If you choose to equip carronades or only mediums you will almost never reach him.

Edited by Cecil Selous

when you do that, then please also limit the amount of rig/hull repairs and also rum. anyway the game becomes more and more a "shoot in the back and sails" game.

i know that this was a common tactic but not done permanently during the whole battle. 

but here in the game the amount is too much and decreases the fun to play the game.

• Like 2

As others have said.

I would ony be in favor of limiting chain shot if you could only repair once in battle, and even then you couldn't repair sails while in a battle.

For what it's worth, until unlimited repair goes away, you can't take away unlimited chain.

Repairs in battle were a thing, but the cooldown should be increased imo and masts thickness tuned.

Chainshots could be limited but this would favor even more speedfitted ships.

If they are limited, they should do more damages to sails and or  lower yards masts turning rate and sails raising/folding speed.

i would have no problem with

1 time hull repair which needs the hull repairs

1 time sail repair - same as above

1 time Crew repair - same as above

limited cannon balls (all types)

so, that means what in the game:

you must flee - abort the fight/battle

you must try to capture the other ship - to gain their resources

that is a way more realistic at what we have now with all those updates and perks. and yes it would make more fun in a (port) battle.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2017 at 3:25 AM, William Livingston Alden said:

i would have no problem with

1 time hull repair which needs the hull repairs

1 time sail repair - same as above

1 time Crew repair - same as above

limited cannon balls (all types)

so, that means what in the game:

you must flee - abort the fight/battle

you must try to capture the other ship - to gain their resources

that is a way more realistic at what we have now with all those updates and perks. and yes it would make more fun in a (port) battle.

Then you need actual morale in the game to... You knock down a mast is two and kill 25-50% of a crew that ship will strike or you have it so shot up the pumps are losing ground. But it also should not sink in minutes. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2017 at 0:11 PM, elite92 said:

i would go for (in my dream game naval action) no repair in battle, limited ammo, all type of ammo, also basic ball.

and lets see who is the best

No Repair? Given there are many battle accounts of one side or the other pulling off and doing repirs<shrug>... IThen returning to fight(usually to finish off the other guy) 

2 minutes ago, CaptVonGunn said:

No Repair? Given there are many battle accounts of one side or the other pulling off and doing repirs<shrug>... IThen returning to fight(usually to finish off the other guy) 

In reality fights would last hours, and pulling off for 2 hours to repair was not a huge deal.  

1 minute ago, Hodo said:

In reality fights would last hours, and pulling off for 2 hours to repair was not a huge deal.  

True.. That is why I like the idea of limited Chain just like Charge and Double...  I wouldn't mind total ammo being limited in a realistic way.. but only if  ships struck insted of sinking when they got to the stage they currently sink.. so you could truly loot them  before you sank them

1 minute ago, CaptVonGunn said:

True.. That is why I like the idea of limited Chain just like Charge and Double...  I wouldn't mind total ammo being limited in a realistic way.. but only if  ships struck insted of sinking when they got to the stage they currently sink.. so you could truly loot them  before you sank them

Well people dont want to surrender because there is nothing for them in a surrender.  

The surrender mechanics are in desperate need of revamp.  There should be an option to give quarter on surrender. 

Sometimes I am not at all interested in the ship and I just want the cargo.  Why should I bother with taking the ship when it will slow me down.  

Just now, Hodo said:

Well people dont want to surrender because there is nothing for them in a surrender.  

The surrender mechanics are in desperate need of revamp.  There should be an option to give quarter on surrender. 

Sometimes I am not at all interested in the ship and I just want the cargo.  Why should I bother with taking the ship when it will slow me down.  

Not talking about surrender.. Just when the ship would normally sink(as it does now) it ship is unfightable).. the system just strikes the colors and treats it as surrendered.. But it doesn't then sink in seconds like they do now.. it acts like an actual wooden ship and fights to stay afloat

On 7/5/2017 at 9:21 AM, Hodo said:

The fix for all of this would be ammo stores taking up a separate cargo space called the "Shot Locker".

No ship should have unlimited ammo of any type.  

It would be cool if you could decide how much of what type you want to bring (get rid of double charge and double shot perks).  You choose powder amount, types of shot and amounts.  If I wanted to I could bring a lot of chain but I probably wouldn't do much else and wouldn't have very many broadsides of normal ball.  Double charge would come out of powder storage, double shot would come out of standard shot.  I guess what I am saying, I currently like being able to tweak how many repairs I take of what type, and the type of cannons, and how much weight my ship has and how that affects speed.  I like trying to find what I think is the optimal setup.  Maybe it would be a good idea to do something similar with ammo, though the affect on speed wouldn't be near as it is with cannons and repairs, if much at all.

Edited by Prater
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Prater said:

It would be cool if you could decide how much of what type you want to bring (get rid of double charge and double shot perks).  You choose powder amount, types of shot and amounts.  If I wanted to I could bring a lot of chain but I probably wouldn't do much else and wouldn't have very many broadsides of normal ball.  Double charge would come out of powder storage, double shot would come out of standard shot.  I guess what I am saying, I currently like being able to tweak how many repairs I take of what type, and the type of cannons, and how much weight my ship has and how that affects speed.  I like trying to find what I think is the optimal setup.  Maybe it would be a good idea to do something similar with ammo, though the affect on speed wouldn't be near as it is with cannons and repairs, if much at all.

i really hope this will happen at least in Testbed, where is easier to develop and introduce stuff