Game-Labs Forum

Crafting = worthless + Fixes <Updated>

Edit: after reading responses, and thinking things over, I've decided to update my post from yesterday with fixes, which will be at the bottom.

So I attempted to do crafting... Yea.. guess I'll stop playing already.

I want to point out I really like 99% of all the changes in the last patch. To me though many of it was just.. implemented wrong, or badly imbalanced in terms of economy.

To make a Brig for instance, will cost me between 47,000 to 30,000 gold.... The NPC's are selling the Brig for 18,000..... Yea, never going to make a profit in a million years crafting ships at this rate. Not without spending 24+ hours pulling teeth to get the absolute best price at a steal discount price for every single part.

To break things down, lets forget the Brig, and go back to a 7th rate, the lowest end of ships that beginners will be looking at. Lets choose a pickle.

Breaking everything down this is how it looks for a crafter:

PIckle:
Final resources:
184x Oak Log = 13,432
76x Fir Log = 4,560
57x Hemp = 3,420
20x lignum vitae logs <Buy at 80 per 1> = 1,600
48x stone blocks =  <Buy at 25 per 1> = 1,200
60x Iron Ore = 4,800

100x fish meat <Buying at 42> = 4,200
8x salt <Buying at 40> = 320
Final cost= 33,532

<If you ignore fish meat and salt since those are easy to come by>

Final cost= 29,012

The costs are what it costs me to pull out of my buildings, naturally a crafter is most likely going to build the buildings that he needs the most of to save money. The "Buying at" price is me adding 5g to whatever it'll cost a person to pull out of their economy building to sell to me. costs a person 75-70 gold per lignum viteae log to pull from their building as an example so I'll buy it at 80.

So assuming I don't buy the fishmeat and salt since those are easy to come by just by sailing around. That'll be 29,012. To make a reasonable profit i'll probably want to sell it at around 40,000 - 50,000k to make it worth my time and effort.

So this is how it looks to a new player.

Pickle: 45,000

12 36lb medium cannons: 83,304 (atm they are being sold for 6,942 per 1)

Rig repairs (lets say 5) : 3,025

Hull Repairs (lets say 5 again): 5,800

Rum well its cheap cuz you can buy it from NPC for 144 each. 

Final Price for a complete beginner: 137,128.......

By the time a beginner has that much gold grinding atrocious missions, or ganking NPC's in the OW, they'll be ready to be sailing 5-6th Rates, which cost about 2-3x this much.

Progressions, economy, and crafting is completely out of whack.

--------------------

WHy is it like this? Because of the buildings. For instance.... Iron Ore Mine, costs me 20 gold more per iron ore than just buying it on the market at market price... Why? That seems so backwards. Arguably you could say as players buy more the costs will go up alot when the market isn't flooded with the item, which is fair, if there wasn't only 100-300 people on and that situation actually happened more often than it does now. Not worth the time, or effort for 90% of the players who want to play.

--------------------

Like-wise, with the limited building space, it would make sense to lower the price you're forced to pay workers to a more reasonable level. You'll never be able to "harvest" everything you need to build a ship and will always have to buy stuff in one way or another on the market, that's the point of having a buliding and sinking so much money and resources into getting your crafting setup, is so you pay less and can actually make a profit by crafting...

----------------------

Now with the cost being insane to craft items, and players having to buy cannons individually, you run into the problem that its going to cost players 10x more than ever before. Not only is crafting ships more expensive now from what I can tell, but building cannons is incredibly pricy as well, meaning those long cannons, and higher grade cannons are going to cost you an insane amount because of how expensive it is to craft things in the first place.

----------------------

Crafting should take time, and be limited, I agree. Crafting should have a gold sink. I agree with this as well. Not everyone should want to craft due to how much time you need to spend to do it, this I agree with as well, and this is everything the game has in terms of crafting... just implemented in a way that also severely punishes the player base and crafter by being implemented in a way that's severely imbalanced

Edit:

Out of frustration I forgot to finish my conclusion.

With how expensive buying ships and cannons are going to be, people are going to play extremely passively on the PvP servers. I don't see this as good. While yes losing a higher end ship between tiers 1-4 should be a big loss, at the same time it shouldn't cost people an arm and leg and their first born when they lose a tier 7 ship like a brig either, if someones buying a brig from me a tier 7 ship, at 30k, then dropping another 30+ k down on guns + another 20+ k down on repairs, and crew, and loses the ship due to no longer having more than 1 durability (which I do like the fact ships are lost immediately with only 1 durability), then the cost of ships and the cost of constructing ships and cannons really needs to be pulled back and balanced out.

----------------------------

Fix Suggestions:

The issue is a spiral. It seems to me the devs want us to sell things at the same price we are paying for them, which.. doesn't work on many levels...

To build a Brig as I explained above will cost me 30-50k depending on prices. That's alot for JUST the ship at tier 8 and a player who's been playing for maybe a day or two, that's of course assuming I sell the brig at that price.. the cost I spent to make it... not gonna happen, I'm gonna sell that ship for at least 20-30k more so I can make something out of it for my troubles. so a new player has to dish out over 100k easy for a tier 8 ship + cannons + crew + repairs.... Ridiculous.

Problem Crafters rely on players filling the market with the resources they need. Since you can't buy these cheap from NPC ports anymore..... Getting oak from a oak building costs roughly 80g per 1 oak. That's ridiculous. For a player to supply a crafter with oak they'd then have to turn around and sell the oak for at least 85g to make any meaningful profit.

Fix:

Cut the cost for getting supplies from buildings down by half. This creates an economy where all players can build economy buildings and feed the resources to crafters in the market. With the price being cheap IF you own a building, this allows for prices to fluctuate with supply/demand, which is essential for a healthy economy.

--------------------------

Personally I think there should be a difference in crafting, different experiences and crafting tree's. Ship Builder, Cannon Maker, and something else for the permanent modules you can install. Each having their own leveling tree. Level 1 cannon maker can only make low tier medium cannons, as they go up they unlock long cannons for that tier, then the next tier of medium cannons, etc.

But that's an entirely different monster. 

Edited by Lady Athena
  • Like 11

18 minutes ago, Lady Athena said:

WHy is it like this? Because of the buildings. For instance.... Iron Ore Mine, costs me 20 gold more per iron ore than just buying it on the market at market price... Why? That seems so backwards. Arguably you could say as players buy more the costs will go up alot when the market isn't flooded with the item, which is fair, if there wasn't only 100-300 people on and that situation actually happened more often than it does now. Not worth the time, or effort for 90% of the players who want to play.

how did you come to this conclusion? Iron ore is not available from NPCs in fact no resource except monopolized woods is available from NPCs. You cannot get resources like iron or coal or oak from NPCs. 

14 minutes ago, admin said:

how did you come to this conclusion? Iron ore is not available from NPCs in fact no resource except monopolized woods is available from NPCs. You cannot get resources like iron or coal or oak from NPCs. 

There's still a cost for them in the market, and you can sell them on the market still to NPC's who then players can buy from. Even if I'm wrong about that particular bit, that's besides the point of the post anyway.

Iron, Coal, Oak, etc. it still costs an insane amount through your buildings. Just the oak logs itself needed to build a Brig, nearly matches the 18k the NPC is selling the brig for in the port.. Roughly 13 - 15k in oak logs itself from my oak log building, then the Iron Ore to build the brig needed for parts will be another 4-5k, then ontop of that the Hemp, and Fir Logs from the bulidings which also add another 5-8k that's about 18-22k for less than half the resources to build it and you're already well over the NPC asking price. The rest then goes into buying it from players, which when all added up the cheapest I can possibly do it still around 30-50k give or take on price in min-max range of price.

Even if you can't buy certain things from NPC's that's not the point of the post. The point is it costs a crazy amount to build ships and cannons, you'll be running up a bill of over 100k for a new player at tier 7 for a brig with the best cannons, and repairs/crew. That's assuming I sell a new player a brig at a discount steal price. If a Brig costs me say 40k to build, I'm going to sell it at the cheapest 65-70k so I can actually get something meaningful out of it. So after the player spends an arm and leg on the brig and cannons that mean a damn, you're then releasing him in an OW scenario where if he loses his ship he has to spend all that again, in an OW where unless your abusing the OP trade commodities, you're going to be spending a long time getting that 150k back in a cutter grinding worthless missions or hitting empty brig traders for a penny of loot.

The balance between cost and tier is out of whack, and so is the cost of worker payouts for buildings. this creats a scenario where everything costs so much you dont want to risk losing any of it in an OW PvP, which completely undermines what this game is supposed to be about to begin with.

----------

Edit: I want to re iterate why this is a problem.. If nobody wants to risk fighting, then the market becomes stagnant. Guilds grow, and stare at each other, and crafters have no purpose because only a few people who get ganked every now and again will buy a new ship, and most likely a cheap one at that.

You need things to be balanced economically, where losing ships at first is an annoyance, but rectified in a reasonable time frame, and "end game" ships like line ships are where the cost really hurts if you lose it, and cost to produce ships and cannons is in a reasonable amount that the crafter can still make gold from it, and non crafters can still benefit and get their money's worth.

Edited by Lady Athena
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lady Athena said:

Even if you can't buy certain things from NPC's that's not the point of the post. The point is it costs a crazy amount to build ships and cannons, you'll be running up a bill of over 100k for a new player at tier 7 for a brig with the best cannons, and repairs/crew.

How did you come to this conclusion. Its not. Cost of 18lb carronades for brig (if you craft) is 10000

3 minutes ago, admin said:

How did you come to this conclusion. Its not. Cost of 18lb carronades for brig (if you craft) is 10000

Are you expecting everyone to craft? If so then the argument is moot. I don't think everyone will craft though do you? I certainly dont. so we're talking what? 50k for the brig, another 10k for all the cannons for it? (Is that the best kind it can get even?), and then the repairs which are costly as well, and the costs for the crew.

I am sorry but this is right in the middle of one of my pet peeves with these Open World, "Sandbox", "play the game the way you want to", MMO games.  It always seems that the developers have a "Vision" as to how the game "should" be played.  If, as time goes by, people are not playing the way they "should" then there are "adjustments" made to bring them back in line.  Apparently, as in most of these MMO games the developers think players "should" be heavy into PVP.  The whole point of the game is PVP.  "If you ain't doin PVP then you ain't doodley squat and we would just as soon have you leave our game", seems to be the hidden message here.  This is what happened when I played EVE some years ago.  The devs continually made "adjustments" to the game to make it harder for the miners, crafters, and ship builders to do their thing and get products to market, and to make it easier for the raiders, pirates, and gankers to get to the "carebears".  The business people would come up with a way to get around the gankers and safely to market and you could count on the devs to come up with an "adjustment" to make it easier for the gankers to find and kill the carebears.  I finally quit.  4 1/2 years and I quit.

You could say that pirates and such were a fact of life in the Caribbean during that time and that mite be true, but there was not the population density of pirates and gankers that there is in a MMO like this, where you could hardly sail from 1 port to the next 1 down the coast without getting jumped.  If you are now going to take away even the "chance" of making a profit from crafting and ship building by making it MUCH harder to do, then what you are saying, even if you will not admit it, is that you want this to be a PVP only game and if we players aren't that into PVP....Well...Please leave.

Please don't get me wrong.  I don't mind doing PVP...It is fun from time to time.  I like to run missions too but I hear that has also been made MUCH more difficult...Don't know, haven't done it yet, just seeing stuff go by in chat.  However if all there is to do here is PVP and we are FORCED to do PVP cause you can't do anything else then I know my interest in the game will go way down.

I just hope that some day someone will make one of these MMOs that has a nice balance between the crafting and the PVP.  This one has potential.  It is a beautiful game and I have liked it so far.  I hope they can keep it together.

PS to those who don't like my use of quotes, capitalization, punctuation, spelling or grammar....Well...I can't say that here but just use your imagination.

• Like 4

As a long term crafter and with 4.5k of hours in game I can only say I totally agree with Lady Athena,  we where told the with one dura ships prices would be lower, well that the biggest con so far, they are so expensive to make why bother. The whole bp needing untold amount of pvp and conquest marks is the biggest backward step so far and not exchange of these three marks is even sillier.

I have to say the earliest versions of the economy where better than the current version and that is really saying something.  I am just about ready to uninstall the game. why? because the dev's have not addressed the elephant in the room which is the economy, which seems to be based on a lot of stupid commodities with no basis in game or historically. crafting is just the latest issue to surface. I know that lots of people have made millions already from historical artefacts or some other stupid  commodity at ridiculous prices.(176345 each). So some people want historical accuracy where is that ?

Early in game iron and compass wood then tobacco where the go to commodities and we worked like hell to make them to trade craft and sell, now if you happen to be near a port with some exotic product you make millions, it like a cargo cult and in my opinion it is  totally misguided. Honestly you need to actually remove all if not most of this stupid stuff and get back to basics commodities which have a use in game. the current crop of stupid prices and product only make this game a child.s version of  Naval Action.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Lady Athena said:

Are you expecting everyone to craft? If so then the argument is moot. I don't think everyone will craft though do you? I certainly dont. so we're talking what? 50k for the brig, another 10k for all the cannons for it? (Is that the best kind it can get even?), and then the repairs which are costly as well, and the costs for the crew.

the npc ship prices can be updated of course. we will see if will be necessary over time. We do want crafted ships to be cheaper than NPC ships. 

I am just now starting to get a foot hold two days into the new patch and i am alarmed at the cost of crafting and also the absence of coal. this is NOT a good thing. I really like most of the changes but this game will fail harder than a fart in an elevator if the pvp server is turned into a fight or die arena. Forcing pvp for a resource that is critical to builders, That is not an open world where players feel free to do as they please with the danger of pvp around. The coal restrictions is going to be as big a failure as fine woods imho too.

but this is my opinion, we are all testers, take it for what it is.

back to testing....

12 minutes ago, admin said:

the npc ship prices can be updated of course. we will see if will be necessary over time. We do want crafted ships to be cheaper than NPC ships. 

Which world are you living in clearly not the NA economy as it is written, you want crafted ships to be cheaper than NCP. have you completely lost you mind, as a very long term crafter that total ridiculous. gather resources, transport them, get the marks for the BP, get the marks for the permit, husband your labour hours, you need to actually do some costing before you state rubbish like this. Even with the best clan in the world  giving up all the pvp, conquest marks, resources and labour hours this is just silly.

At the moment the whole crafting and economy is not working because everyone uses the non production goods to make some money because everything extrem expensive at the moment if people have the money this will start to change i think. 

Wich btw. is still a problem since it makes it more resonable for player to wait till its running (let others do the work) before you start playing wich couldnt be the goal.

Edited by Lonar
  • Like 1

I just did produce on 3 Oak Farms with not even a days worth of Oak.  Almost 80K to do 1100 oak logs. I still had 2 fir farms to do and now don't have the money.  I think a lot of folks are going to get an eye opener when they start actually producing products.  All the while I'm expected to fight in PvP and open world fights and do other things to support my econ production so I can be a trader on the side too.

NO one has money to buy things too, so I can't even put any of this up once I get a night over stock to make back money and a profit to keep production going.  Again I think the big problem is you have brought us all back to zero without a little starting money to open or shops and to keep our ships ready to fight or grind.  While a few minority 10% of the players are doing killer and having a blast staying in small ships, what about the other 90% struggling as soon as they loose there trader (no way to buy or make one yet until folks get shipyards up and going).  Bang now they can't make any money......but the PvP guys can just go to the shop and buy a new ship slap some cannons on and keep going after they sale the cargo off the traders they raided and still have change left over.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to crafting, but it does seem expensive. ATM I'm building up my mats and gold  and thats quite easy, even if I forgo the exp from the capped ships.

I'm hoping today to fit out my Indie with the long guns, but if not I'll go mediums.

Reason pvp works in eve is because ship builders can build ships cheaply, much cheaper then they cost on the market they can get hold of mats easy and ships dont require silly systems like LH or tons of Gold...

Also there is incentive for players to bring ship builders mats, now they removed Exp from building ship parts whats the point in me supply the ship builders?

Edit: This is why we need missons to give players money to put back into production, no way to make money fast enough from missions, Ok a few people make millions from rare goods but 90% of the player base are stuck doing missons which pay a tiny amount of gold for what is needed.

Bring back RA solo missions then the gold supply will go up.

Edited by ironhammer500
  • Like 1

As a lvl 50 crafter, i was looking forward at building my first ships... Then i looked for ressources, and saw that there wasn't any npc ressources anymore. I checked the number of people online, and totally gave up the idea of building a shipyard. There's just not enough people to produce enough ressources. Not everyone online is interested in economy. Many will never build a single eco building, so you need a huge player base to make such player base eco work. The lack of ressources make them extra expensive, and thus make crafting useless. I can't even build for my own use, it's just faster and cheaper to travel from port to port looking for the ship i want.

The only economy working right now is about people moving trading goods...

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, hoarmurath said:

As a lvl 50 crafter, i was looking forward at building my first ships... Then i looked for ressources, and saw that there wasn't any npc ressources anymore. I checked the number of people online, and totally gave up the idea of building a shipyard. There's just not enough people to produce enough ressources. Not everyone online is interested in economy. Many will never build a single eco building, so you need a huge player base to make such player base eco work. The lack of ressources make them extra expensive, and thus make crafting useless. I can't even build for my own use, it's just faster and cheaper to travel from port to port looking for the ship i want.

The only economy working right now is about people moving trading goods...

We keep telling the devs their idea is a good one, but only with the huge player base eve has maybe 10k min to get the eco rolling but they seem to ignore us when we say 200-300 players and lets say 10% do eco building that 20-30 people spread across all nations...

Not enough supply to much demands, the old system worked fine as the supply kept up.

While I think the system in place is not bad @admin i think there is a concern about building resoures up for crafting.

Here is what I think would be great of you to do.

- generally: lower cost of resource extraction by a significant margin

- Significantly lower required materials to make 7th and 6th rates. Make these ships the truly inexpensive ships of the game so that all players can go out and lose one and be able to make one really easily.

- lower the material requirements for the lighter 5th rates (cerb, reno, surprise, frigate).

- keep the material cost the same for trinc, essex, and the other frigs.

I think the material cost in 4th rates and higher is alright but maybe be slightly more expensive for lineships. What im trying to get at is that you make a "material cost curve."

I forsee 7th and 6th rates easily able to be made solo by players and can be replaced in the whim. I forsee 5th rate production, depending on the type, to need some friends but otherwise easier to make if you choose the smaller 5th rates. Anything bigger than a 5th rate should need the help of a clan or national effort in terms of pooling in the resources.

I don't know if this would fix all the problems people have, but it would help a ton with smaller ship production so players can sail in ships other than the basic cutter.

Edited by Teutonic
  • Like 2

As others mentioned the costs of gathering is very high.  Not mentioned was the cost to set-up outposts and buildings.  The shipyard is 100k and at 10k per building and exponential increase of outposts it is very hard to get started.  With players being unable to cap npc ships and durability going from 5 to 1 the price needs to drop substantially.  The shining gem of this game is the combat.  It's hard to convince players to participate and risk a ship when they know it may take a long time to get another and have it fitted properly.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, admin said:

I don't think the cost of the npc ships is the issue.  I think it is the high cost of everything else. 

• Like 1

Econ is messed up and that is why I will only try crafting after game release. Don't waste your time atm.

Income is too low, craft is too pricey and risk is too great. Simple as that. I don't think this is the best way to keep people logged in and playing. 

Edited by Ned Low
  • Like 4

Like most people posting here I agree there is a fundamental imbalance between income and costs, but the devs have just wiped the servers, are desperate not to flood them with gold again and need to be given a chance to analyse the data.

In the meantime we will all mostly be sailing ships bought from NPCs because

• they are just as cheap or cheaper than player-made
  • setting up to craft ships is expensive
  • players do not have enough labour hours to make ships in sufficient quantities

and doubtless other reasons which have slipped my mind.

Perhaps the devs want to see whether players will shift from crafting ships to crafting guns, by pricing NPC-made guns at almost 3 times the cost of player-made. An interesting little experiment, perhaps.

For those complaining about the cost of harvesting resources, think before you click. Buildings - even level 1 buildings* -  produce far more resources than you have LH to use. Of course if you're still rotating buildings to get all the resources needed to make a ship then you'll want to harvest all the lignum before turning the slot over to stone, for example, but there's no need to click out every last iron ore (you should have left iron till last - it is the one building you probably won't rotate).

Hang on in there, fellow crafters. Once you've ground your start up capital you won't need to do it again, and then you'll find it far easier being a crafter than a PvPer, for we'll start turning a profit while they will have to grind for every single ship they sink (unless they're in the top 10% who can make a profit through PvP). Quite why the devs have got such a thing against PvP I really have no idea.

*unless you specialise in rig repairs, where you'll probably want at least one level 2 hemp mine

Edited by Remus
  • Like 2

First, can we PLEASE stop with the eye rolling "everyone is going to quit" and "this is going to fail hard" hyperbole!  It is way too early to tell how the economy will function in this game.  I dont care if you have 300 hours or 10k hours in this game as a level 50 crafter!  

All the devs need to do to fix this current market problem is increase rewards for missions as well as make captured NPC ships give you gold and have more valuable cargo.  I dont know about pvp rewards yet, but increase those as well by the same amount, if need be, and increase the price of store bought ships at the same rate until it is more expensive to buy a ship in port than it is to craft a ship.  

Adjust rewards, adjust store bought ships, leave everything else as is for now.  

Edited by Yar Matey
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Captain Clark said:

As a long term crafter and with 4.5k of hours in game I can only say I totally agree with Lady Athena,  we where told the with one dura ships prices would be lower, well that the biggest con so far, they are so expensive to make why bother. The whole bp needing untold amount of pvp and conquest marks is the biggest backward step so far and not exchange of these three marks is even sillier.

I have to say the earliest versions of the economy where better than the current version and that is really saying something.  I am just about ready to uninstall the game. why? because the dev's have not addressed the elephant in the room which is the economy, which seems to be based on a lot of stupid commodities with no basis in game or historically. crafting is just the latest issue to surface. I know that lots of people have made millions already from historical artefacts or some other stupid  commodity at ridiculous prices.(176345 each). So some people want historical accuracy where is that ?

Early in game iron and compass wood then tobacco where the go to commodities and we worked like hell to make them to trade craft and sell, now if you happen to be near a port with some exotic product you make millions, it like a cargo cult and in my opinion it is  totally misguided. Honestly you need to actually remove all if not most of this stupid stuff and get back to basics commodities which have a use in game. the current crop of stupid prices and product only make this game a child.s version of  Naval Action.

While it's not really hitting the main post, I still agree 100%. Right now the only real way to make money at all is by buying/trading ridiculous priced trade goods. As a pirate in Mortimer it's a hop and skip to the free town to the south west that takes about 10 minutes to sail too, buy 50k trade goods, sail back to mortimer sell it and now I'm sitting on 110k, go back, buy 110k worth of goods, sail back, sell it and now I'm sitting on 200k. It's doubling my gold every time.

Problem is, not only is that completely out of whack in balance, not everyone comes to this game to be a trader, about 5% if less of MMO community are pure traders in a well balanced game, most will come to naval action for just that.... the naval action. Roughly 25-30% of communities in MMO's are pure crafters, unless the crafting system is so easy and broken anyone can do it so everyone is, but that's an entirely different issue all together and the polar opposite of the issue currently in NA. 

So players are stuck in a lose/lose situation that's a spiral effect due to the complete mess up of the economy.

On one hand you have crafters who can't craft without spending insane amounts of gold, so their ships and cannons are stupid expensive. You have PvP and Combat players who need to buy this stuff, and either wont, or will but won't engage in meaningful combat anymore and play super care bear style out of fear of losing their ships and assets, meanwhile you have traders who are making insane amounts of gold, but nothing to buy with it because there are no crafters. The already pitiful number of players dwindles by a large percent as time goes on for lack of things on the market to sell, nobody building economy buildings meaning lack of resources for the few crafters who are trying to make it, meaning more people leave due to lack of ships/cannons on the market.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yar Matey said:

First, can we PLEASE stop with the eye rolling "everyone is going to quit" and "this is going to fail hard" hyperbole!  It is way too early to tell how the economy will function in this game.  I dont care if you have 300 hours or 10k hours in this game as a level 50 crafter!  

All the devs need to do to fix this current market problem is increase rewards for missions as well as make captured NPC ships give you gold and have more valuable cargo.  I dont know about pvp rewards yet, but increase those as well by the same amount, if need be, and increase the price of store bought ships at the same rate until it is more expensive to buy a ship in port than it is to craft a ship.  

Adjust rewards, adjust store bought ships, leave everything else as is for now.  

How curious. We both want greater gold rewards, but it never occurred to me that missions was where it needs to be added