Game-Labs Forum

Is this a game or is it more than a game?

So as I have played the game over the last month I have noticed many players have seemed to forget this is a game we are playing. As an example I have seen this through people hating the pirates on PvP2 due to the people in there, the fact they historically are "murderers and thieves", or because they want to fight and sink people (even in traders). I feel its all a bit silly and I have even been caught up in it more than I would like to admit but it can ruin the fun of this game. So my question is to everyone, is Naval Action a game or has it reached another plane of existence becoming more than just an early access age of sail game?

• Like 6

on both servers some line has been drawn by the two big alliances that goes beyond the game. You know something is incredibly hello kittyed up when a meeting is talked about to improve the game, but some folks will not allow, or won't take part if group B shows up, it's actually cancer.

On the other hand, you have a group or groups who talk big, but the moment they get rolled they scream "how dare you beat us up, we are leaving/not going to play anymore." That talk is straight up scrub talk, and if that's how it goes, you shouldn't be playing in the first place.

Edited by Teutonic
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Teutonic said:

on both servers some line has been drawn by the two big alliances that goes beyond the game. You know something is incredibly hello kittyed up when a meeting is talked about to improve the game, but some folks will not allow, or won't take part if group B shows up, it's actually cancer.

Its pretty bad. Still going to be setting up a second meeting for PvP2. Although I am still getting a lot of kitty even when ignoring individuals refusing to show up if another said individual is in attendance. What is making me annoyed with all of it, it is coming from adults and not children.

The whole attitude is why I left Great Britain for the Dutch to be honest. I was fine when a lot of the negativity was targeting me, recently however it began to target members of my clan and I will not tolerate them to endure any sort of abuse from what is suppose to be fellow teammates.

Edited by Marrius

The whole thing's a bit ridiculous. The game already has a tiny playerbase and is hemorrhaging players and support. Yet clans are creating problems. Vicious and his clowns collectively lower the civility (and the iq, quite plainly) of PVP1 with the whole ridiculous "I must assert total dominance in a computer game over people I've never met in real life!" attitude of the clan. Clans all over the place seem to get hostile, as seen in my clan's departure from Great Britain to the Dutch. NA seems to have devolved from a small, yet decent playerbase consisting of good folks simply trying to have fun, to a tiny collection of squabbling clans. It doesn't help that the game is marred by power creep.

I think NA really is rather interesting though in that it isn't a conventional game at all. Most steamers view the goal of the game as to win, to get ahold of great fleets with epic ships, swimming in wealth, climbing to the highest rank. But the game isn't designed that way... any role can be played from any rank and ship. Basic Cutters are just as infinitely playable as Santissimas. It's why progressing is so slow; you're supposed to enjoy each individual battle and ship. It's not a mad dash from one rank to the next, one ship to the other. In that way at least, its more than a game :)

5 hours ago, BoomBox said:

to be honest , i think everyone knows it's a game .it's just shit talk. it's kinda fun sometimes. don't take it serious.

I think a good part of it is that. But when I see PVP1 littered with Sorry screenshots reading "GF [enter_random_nation_here]" and little rants by Vicious day by day, its hard to believe.

• Like 4

"Just a game" is a term that has now aged beyond suitable terms of its use.

Games used to be a novelty, something done to pass the time for a quick shot of enjoyment and not too be taken seriously, however now it is a multi billion dollar/pound/euro industry with billions of players worldwide. Ultimately they provide an escape, a second life, a chance to be something you're not. Online games take it a step further, people from all around the world playing together, forming friendships in virtual realities that go beyond the realms of "just a game". All of a sudden those virtual realities become second realities, real people with real feelings and thoughts, but sadly there are individuals who see the distance and anonymity in the online aspect of games as a free pass to act without consequence.

7 hours ago, BoomBox said:

to be honest , i think everyone knows it's a game .it's just shit talk. it's kinda fun sometimes. don't take it serious.

Indeed, the three I shit talk with know why we do it to each other. If you would see our private msgs back and forth, you would certainly know that we are purposely doing it to hype ppl up. (Maybe I shouldn't have admitted this, as now our shit talks might not have the same affect.) TO HELL WITH YOU, STS, MTM and K! B)

3 hours ago, Hethwill said:

It is "just a game". It is a leisure activity to be enjoyed during the "hobby schedule".

Alas I'm glad we don't deal with plexscam ;) ... that's where the "just a game" starts to carve a hole in yer hearts you scurvy dogs.

That's why we needs battles to be open so we can fight more.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, fox2run said:

A battle where 2 ships attack 4, similar rate or the latter even higher, should stay open ?

Read: 2 ships attack 4 on their own accord and risk.

2 hours ago, fox2run said:

Why not? The more battles that are open the more pvp is available for the playerbase. Makes sence.

No ROE has ever prevented unequal fights but certainly has prevented action available for the players. Lets change this.

2 hours ago, Hethwill said:

Let's change it then. Make Signaling and Control set on stone as mechanics and not perks.

3 hours ago, Wraith said:

Here, I fixed that for you.

3 hours ago, fox2run said:

Guys this isnt a post for changing game mechanics just a solid question to the community

The last guy who tried to setup a meeting was a US player who got labeled a traitor by the US because the small nations agreement to give Spain 5 ports didn't suit the US. Then the guy re rolled to France due to harassment. 

I applaud you for trying to get people together but the issue you will have is people's greed over pixel ports and refusing to give them up.

On 2/20/2017 at 7:49 AM, Loco Bandito said:

The last guy who tried to setup a meeting was a US player who got labeled a traitor by the US because the small nations agreement to give Spain 5 ports didn't suit the US. Then the guy re rolled to France due to harassment. 

I applaud you for trying to get people together but the issue you will have is people's greed over pixel ports and refusing to give them up.

I was actually last person who tried close to a month ago. Was able to get all nationals together except Swedes whos individual that was invited fear reprocutions from his own faction and Spanish who the person I did get into contact with was called away. Just to get all these Nats at the table however I had to revoke my inventation to the pirates. 

I am working soon to get another meeting set up. This time ignoring threats of non-participation if pirates show up.

Edited by Davos Seasworth
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Davos Seasworth said:

I was actually last person who tried close to a month ago. Was able to get all nationals together except Swedes whos individual that was invited fear reprocutions from his own faction and Spanish who the person I did get into contact with was called away. Just to get all these Nats at the table however I had to revoke my inventation to the pirates. 

I am working soon to get another meeting set up. This time ignoring threats of non-participation if pirates show up.

Good time to let everyone be part of it. For the good of the playerbase.

On 26/02/2017 at 8:28 AM, Davos Seasworth said:

Anyone who makes threats of non participation should grow up. If they want this game to survive its the community that makes it survive. 

• Like 1

I feel the lack of quality gameplay is a real issue. You have 3 things you can basically do.

Fight

Trade

Craft

2 of the 3 really don't involve much gameplay and are just time sinks.

with the population it's hard to find PVP during the non prime time hours, so more players leave.

It is a game and nothing more. It is a good addition to the free time variety.

I am quite new to the game but sailing out with a mission and then regress to port is good enough for evening fun.

Maybe in the future I get involved more and command my own squadron but... it is a game. Nothing more.

• Like 1

I never did and never will understand why battles should be open to join for a long time. A fair frigate battle, say 3v3, why would you want any major SoL fleet to interrupt that battle?
Open battles will be the death-factor for most solo / small-group pvpers since they'd just get steamrolled by all those huge heavy frigate / SoL fleets, joining their battle after a while when the initial tag was made and every participant had a clear overview of what is going to be in the fight.

This gif basically describes it perfectly. 

l2Sq1iWaXvOcR6JQk.gif

• Like 2