Game-Labs Forum

Enemies visible damage Yes or No (Health Bars)?

Enemy damage indicators  

547 members have voted

1. 1. Enemy damage indicators in or out?

• Yes, they should be left in!
    • No, I'd rather not see it!
    • Hmmm undecided until I play the game.

You can enter STRG+H to play without interface as far as I know

You can do this, but I believe at the moment some parts of the game, such as changing shot and repairing, will not work. I haven't tried it myself, it's what I've heard.

what is the reasoning behind it?

having the ability to tell which side has more damage on another players ship I cannot even see just screams gamey crutch to me.

it's bad enough we have to suffer having name tags on all the ships. I accept the nametags as a temporary solution for ship identification until ship names and flags can be introduced.

I tend to agree... like how would I ever know the number of crew or their demise.

The number of cannon and their status...  Really?

At least those two items shouldn't be seen.   Desired, but I really shouldn't know it.

its just that I don't care for being able to cycle through a status bar and asses everyone's damage state in a few seconds. that is just screaming arcade easymode.

one very easy and simple fix I can think of is to make the status indicator only visible through your telescope, and then only for the ship you are looking at, possibly even the side you are looking at.

one way to argue this point is the way we range our shots. they made it so it is best to use your telescope to range your shot instead of using 3rd person view, which they could have easily made a crosshair for us to use for ranging in 3rd person.

if they are going to make it so we use our telescopes for ranging, why not for damage assessment?

right now damage assessment is too easy

p.s. I am guilty of jumping the gun and not reading the videos correctly when I made this post. at the time of this post I still had not played, only watched videos, and didn't realize that the status indicator was not being cycled, instead it was showing up when you look at the ship. now that I have played I realize I like, majorly put my foot in my mouth on this one.

my bad

its just that I don't care for being able to cycle through a status bar and asses everyone's damage state in a few seconds. that is just screaming arcade easymode.

one very easy and simple fix I can think of is to make the status indicator only visible through your telescope, and then only for the ship you are looking at, possibly even the side you are looking at.

one way to argue this point is the way we range our shots. they made it so it is best to use your telescope to range your shot instead of using 3rd person view, which they could have easily made a crosshair for us to use for ranging in 3rd person.

if they are going to make it so we use our telescopes for ranging, why not for damage assessment?

right now damage assessment is too easy

We've been around this issue before.  In real life, you had officers who would keep you apprised of the other ship's position, and noticeable damage.  We don't need to add more complexity to that.

Ranging doesn't need to be made any easier with crosshairs or elevation marks in my opinion.  They used to have elevation marks and removed them due to how easy it made gunnery.  Gunnery is already far, far too accurate as it is - making it moreso isn't a good idea.

You can access the entire discussion here: http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/1800-enemies-visible-damage-yes-or-no-health-bars/?hl=damage+indicator

multiple officers assessing damage is a good point, I didn't think of that. with that said, is there any chance of losing those officers during a battle and losing the ability to asses damage or at least limit it?

That would be an excellent idea, I'm not aware of any proposals along those lines, but having a list of benefits, including that one, that would be impaired by losses on the QuarterDeck would be a great thing to have.

Why?

I said I'd like to see it, but I should really know it.   Was it common for ships to know the casualty rate during a battle or the status of the opponents cannon?  Was someone hollering across the waves with that kind of information?   ;)

This isn't killin' me, I'd just like to see what it's like and how it affects play for a while.

Hmm I actually think a hybrid system would be nice.  Let me explain.  Rather than a full on hit point bar, you instead get something along the lines of a "consider" status.  For example, you have been in combat for a while and you target an enemy ship. Upon targeting you get a status update something like this, "Enemy ship appears moderately damaged and is listing to port"  You target the next enemy and you get, "Enemy ship has taken fire but seems relatively unscratched".  Target another and get, "Enemy ship is heavily damaged along her port side and appears to be flooding severally"  

Basically you just get a general status kind of like what a lookout in the crows nest might report based on visual data, about the status of an enemy ship.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

It will be possible to switch it off. We plan a tiered UI through Ctlr H (currently it switches everything) in the future it will switch off some less important parts.

Please, please make it incremental so each player can turn the UI off entirely if desired. I have no desire to take away the UI from others. But it would be sad if there was no way to remove it all and see the game without it.

I also really dislike the healthbars, but being able to turn off the UI will be completely worthless, it's not the UI persay that's the problem but the gameplay that comes from it.

Since NA is a multiplayer player vs player game turning off functions that gives just to give yourself less of an edge in a fight is not feasible nor does it make the game fun.

Being able to know exactly the status of the enemy, and having the enemy know the exact status of me is detrimental as all tactics just boil down to making the numbers go down.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

I am new here and now I am getting experience with the game. 

I love simulators and I vote for make this game naval warfare simulator of napoleonic era. But enemy healt bars is not simulation element, only arcade element!

Why I can have detail information about enemy ships armor? Why enemy knows how much canons I have loaded? It´s not realistical, It´s arcade element. I want to know : Player nick, ship class, number of guns (not how much is loaded) and little information about state of the enemy ship (% damage of sails, fire ect.).

In real navy battle, you can not see how many sailors left on enemy ship. I vote for more realistical game, less arcade.

I don't mind  the idea of them being removed (I voted yes for the time being). However, if they ARE removed then the visual cues that the enemy is having trouble like showing their crew in panic (survival mode) or show more hints towards the stability of the ship such as them showing taking on massive amounts of water. I would also like to state maybe you don't like it and someone else does you can always add a feature where you can "enable" it like with graphics settings for example. This way someone that prefer to be more immersed in the battle can disable it, while a casual player can leave it turned on.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I posted yes, but I think it should be an option in the settings for player to choose.

do not forget that if this feature is optional it most likely noone will use it after a while, since noone wants to give free disadvantage right away from the start of battle

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Again, I think I'd like to see normal and hard-core servers...one with this off, and one with this on.  However I do not think the damage model is sufficient enough to let players rely solely on visual observation.  Particularly on the smaller ships (it may be easier on bigger ships).  Most of the ships I engage (small) show barely a cannon ball strike (lots of sail damage) and then simply sink. 

• Like 1

do not forget that if this feature is optional it most likely noone will use it after a while, since noone wants to give free disadvantage right away from the start of battle

I am in favor in letting the player decide what UI elements that want to hide. This game can not be a full simulator since it is online only. There has to be some feedback for the players cause of ping and new players

What is realistic ? Do you think if in 17th or 18th century they were blind ? In real world you would see if a ship lost his mast or not as you see it here aswell. But other damages you can't see here whereas in real world you could see if the hull damage is light or heavy. I personally think it ok to see the damage just to see if your tactics are working or not. Nobody in whatever fight goes on and on and on, not knowing if he has succes or not. You need to have the possibility to change your game plan. Even as  defender, I want to know if I have succes in a battle 1 angainst 2 or 3, even if just running away.