Game-Labs Forum

PVE Challenges - Feedback and proposals

Current events are in testing - we will keep cerberus for a couple of days to check for bugs and issues. We will remove boarding from first 2 challenges to focus on sinking (not boarding)

Question 1 for the next week. Propose the next ship and enemies for the kills and time challenge. We will update the ships and enemies once every 2-3 days. 

In terms of new challenges and the events we plan to add 3 more PVE events within 1.5 weeks (before new year). The december patch challenges will be the following.

1. Time challenge - kill 2-3 enemies in the shortest possible time
  2. Kill challenge - kill as many enemies as you can in 30 mins
  3. Boarding challenge - board as many ships as you can in certain time
  4. Demasting challenge - demast the enemy in the shortest possible time
  5. Special challenges - a-la - sink an NPC victory in a cutter

These challenges will also provide excellent base for the new player tutorials and practice for pvp. 

Question for the final feature. Please propose ideas for challenges (be specific)

Rewards

We want to move pve and pvp challenges rewards from chests to points (marks of victory) that will allow to provide tiered rewards based on positions in the headboards. Admiralty points could then be converted to chests or upgrades or special ships. The problem is that we don't know how long that feature will take and it might delay other things. There are also ideas on how to integrate pvp marks into hostility better allowing less grind in setting up port battles.

please provide feedback on pve challenges, propose new ideas and discuss potential changes to the rewards.

• Like 5

I dislike the challenges. And I think one of the main reasons  is that I make a mistake at the beginning of the challenge and basically lost already, but I have to finish the challenge nevertheless.

That feels so ineffective and frustrating that I dont even bother trying them anymore.

A restart button would be nice.

Edited by JonSnowLetsGo
  • Like 1

Love the Admiralty point idea, but please don't tie it to hostility, I see a new type of bombing happening with that. 

Add mods, 1 time craftable blue prints (stolen idea), and Refinery (a durability back to a ship or a change to the crafted bonus ie speed to crew space). With the store you can add variance to ships, say one more bow case or ship with additional crafted bonuses (speed and crew space), custom cannons that reload fast.... 

If these are a test of skill, please strip participating ships of all perm and temp upgrades, same as done for fleet ships. Otherwise the newbie will never be able to compete with the veterans.

Would advise stripping regional build advantages too but it may be easier to just supply a vanilla ship to be used 100% of the time.

Ship for next week ... Rattlesnake (or Niagara)

Edited by Angus McGregor

Made wee proposal in other topic - give a chance to less experienced players and make 3 categories of events: easy, advanced and hard each with apprioriate rewards. Looks like second day same players on leaderboards. Tiphat to their skills and knowledge of game mechanics.  As well PvE challenge depend a lot from NPC spawn - sometimes upwind and we wasting time to get closer.

Ship proposal: Suprise 

Question: about demasting challenge - are we able demast completly now? 

12 minutes ago, JonSnowLetsGo said:

I dislike the challenges. And I think one of the main reasons  is that I make a mistake at the beginning of the challenge and basically lost already, but I have to finish the challenge nevertheless.

That feels so ineffective and frustrating that I dont even bother trying them anymore.

hit "esc" key

Select "surrender"

done.

You don't loose a durability from surrendering in a event.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Salty Dog PVP1 said:

hit "esc" key

Select "surrender"

done.

You don't loose a durability from surrendering in a event.

As far as I know - the PvE challenges (Timed/Kills) are 100% risk free. You don't lose anything even if sunk or capped. So yeah - surrender if its a lost cause and try again.

38 minutes ago, JonSnowLetsGo said:

A restart button would be nice.

you can just surrender you know

Just now, Hodo said:

Yeah this wont be exploited AT ALL. /sarcasm.

I mean if you do that people will just grab an alt or a friend sit in the PvP event zone, and repeatedly go into a fight and surrender to one of their characters.   In an hour you can probably rack up 10-20 wins.

this topic is about pve challenges.. you can't exploit NPCs

5 minutes ago, admin said:

this topic is about pve challenges.. you can't exploit NPCs

Yea i feel stupid now :D

2 minutes ago, Hodo said:

In PVE all you have to do is get the AI to cross into the wind and you aim low and bow rake them.  I think in a Frigate I can cause 11 leaks in a single pass. 

Well if you can do this than you probably deserve to win. I think PvE challenge is MUCH harder than the PvP stuff, but that might just be me.

• Like 1

I like to analyse the AIs movement and try to develop the most efficient counter. Thats basically what you do in PvP too, but in PvP you dont have the chance to fight the exact same battle over and over again. Countering an AI maneuver is no difference to countering a players maneuver i the end.

Splitting boarding and sinking challenges up gets a big + from me, as well as default ships (best thing would be if we could change all stats freely and had access to all upgrades for the challenge, so your knowledge of game mechanics actually matters).

Challenge Ideas:

• Deck gun challenge (Cerberus): kill all enemy Crew on a Mercury without boarding in the least amount of time (was possible last time i tried, might need to reconfirm^^)
  • Waterline challenge (Trinco): kill 2 enemy Trincos with leaks in least amount of time
  • Sniping challenge (can be everything): kill an enemy ship and keep the furthest distance
  • Sterncamping challenge (Renomee, Surprise): disable a 1st Rate and receive the least damage
  • Emergency challenge (can be everything): kill an enemy ship while having red rudder and pumps (not sure, might be annoying :/)
  • Firework challenge (Frigate with gold fireship fitting): Blow up as much ships as possible in 20 mins. Youll get a new ship on every kill (not sure if possible to implement?)
  • Mortar Challenge (Mortar Brig): Sink an enemy lineship as fast as possible

I did find it funny that the top players in the speed kill challenge had caused 0 damage! :P  So a  separate boarding challenge is a good idea.

What about a armament challenges - event ship comes armed with only carros or longs.

+1 for a Mortar Brig challenge- fastest kill on a tower, etc.

Next ship - Surprise. Possibly also have a separate shallow water ship challenge.

1 hour ago, DeRuyter said:

I did find it funny that the top players in the speed kill challenge had caused 0 damage! :P  So a  separate boarding challenge is a good idea.

What about a armament challenges - event ship comes armed with only carros or longs.

+1 for a Mortar Brig challenge- fastest kill on a tower, etc.

Next ship - Surprise. Possibly also have a separate shallow water ship challenge.

I'm just amazed at how fast the top guy was.  under 4 minutes!  The fastest I was able to get was 7 minutes.  

18 hours ago, elite92 said:

ships rewarded for this events are not getting the gold crafting bonus(8% turn rate)

hmmm - can you elaborate more on this.. because event prizes are all exceptional they should give that bonus

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, admin said:

hmmm - can you elaborate more on this.. because event prizes are all exceptional they should give that bonus

unfortunately event ships are inferior to their counterparts crafted by players, also if its the same ship and the same traits and woods and the same rarity, the event ship got less turn rate and hp (-8%)

ps: my agamemnon from pve event got 2.32 turn rate and my ocean 2.08, both inferior to an actually crafted ship

Edited by elite92

• 1 month later...

All the PvE event is doing is making the rich get richer because you need an exceptional ship decked out with all exceptional upgrades to be able to compete, thus, the same people are always on the leader boards.  

This current PvE content is simply bad design.  Leader boards are great for PvP content, but for PvE content, it sucks.  I usually can do the time challenge under 10 min so I regularly get a ship chest and a paint chest, but all these events are going to do is frustrate people who do not have access to decked out ships.  Once in a while, when I have the patience, I place in the top 10 in the kill challenge.  

Just my 2¢.

• Like 1

Are we ever going to see a ship change any time soon. It's all the same names of the same folks that has a pattern down and get the top numbers.  The Cerbus only had one week there and now the Rattler has had a month and half.  We really need a change in the ship and even missions objective.   Hell no one is really even going to the PvP events on PvP2 cause well most folks can't fight each other cause of stupid alliances.  

We have had little feedback or changes since this was pretty much put into the game.  Why is there so much silence from the Devs?   

On 12/6/2016 at 10:54 AM, elite92 said:

ships rewarded for this events are not getting the gold crafting bonus(8% turn rate)

That is not the gold crafting bonus, that is the player crafting bonus.  Ships crafted by players have a slight bonus over none player built ships of the same level.

• 3 weeks later...

I find the challenges, well challenging. I sometimes make it onto the leaderboard but not always. I'm not rich yet so it's good to get the prizes. I don't have a fully upgraded ship as I can't craft gold upgrades yet, but the challenges are still doable. I think to make it fair on others, wins should be limited as some people are on the board every day. How about limiting it to one or two prizes a week to allow others the chance to get something? I know my clan mates are very frustrated about always being knocked off. I agree with having everyone use the same ship with the same or no upgrades.