Game-Labs Forum

Free faction swaps must stop

I know this wont be popular with most players but devs you have stop the ability to switch factions without starting a new captian.

Im sorry but in an age where gamers dont care what game they are playing , for what team, what color, what class or race but instead only care about being max level and best gear the ability to freely swap teams is just killing this game.

The mintute that a try hards faction begins to suffer out comes an alt to help them swap to a winning team and they just rinse and repete as often as needed.

I sit and watch players swap from nation to nation on my server going to the winning side until there is only a few factions left playing. If people acually had to stick it out with a faction then this wouldn't happen .

I mean from thier pov whats to lose to just keep changing to what makes them the most xp or gains.

After launch the same thing will juat happen again no matter how many a server is wiped try hards will be try hards and take advantage of any loophole they can.

It gets sorta stupid to be fighting a clan one day then 3 days later they are on your side while the pLayers you played with are now on another faction and know all your facrions weakness and so on.

Sorry that this wont be popular but if you swap a faction you need to reroll.

• Like 3

Totally disagree with this, I don't think people swap often or on a whim. Having done it, I and my compatriots thought hard and long about it. It was at best a long, costly and arduous process involving multiple 4 go 5 hour sails and a large degree of co ordination. It was also extremely expensive as I lost many factories. a level 3 shipyard etc.

And at the end of the day we moved because though we loved the nation we were in we simply couldn't understand their language or co ordinate our efforts effectively. Had we been unable to swap we probably wouldn't be playing now.

• Like 3

Faction swap is an adventure in itself.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/14165-the-betrayal-of-the-ausez-to-the-british-empire/?p=264990

I'm even in favor of the opposite.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/14574-curing-the-black-plague-bug/

We should really take a closer look as to why people switch and mold the mechanics around that.

For AUSEZ it was seeking independence from their nation. I think the diplomatic mechanics should provide better options here, so a transfer is more realistically portrayed. (Poor choice of words.) What if AUSEZ could have denied SLRN access to its Ports? What if SLRN would have filed a Nation motion to expel AUSEZ? What if AUSEZ could have declared it's independence in game, as opposed to out game?

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/14244-hegemony/?p=269119

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/14676-pvp1-june-the-british-honduras-campaign-pirate-perspective/?p=273731

As for individuals, it is human nature to go with the path of most reward for less risk. And as we see proposals that take away XP on surrender, you actually need to be part of the pack.

Hence I have doubts about the upcoming diplomatic patch. If it doesn't model the way people will play, they will warp it into their way. And having power gamers around, means they will own the board (regardless of mechanics). We need mechanics in which both casuals and powers can act out their story.

Cutting off the path to different factions hurts the casuals. The power players already have high alts in every faction.

• Like 5

hi

I believe that after the upcoming Diplo patch/clan patch

it should not be possible  to swap anymore ,and have to stick to the pack (just to escape from your actions)

and if you do and reinstall the game into a other nation, i believe you  starts at 0 (zero)

its a game, and should not be a escape from reality

Want to join another faction ? Go to one of their towns, receive a letter of marque, capture or sink 100 ships that are hostile to the faction you want to join (100 player ships not NPC's naturally; also cutters and small ships should be excluded since they could just be farmed with an alt). Then you deserve the opportunity to switch sides :) Sometimes you may start playing as one nation, yet after some time on douches are left playing in it so you should not have to suffer for it, but at the same time i will agree that changing a faction should be hard, not something anyone can do on a whim.

• Like 1

its a game, and should not be a escape from reality

Ehr ... :lol:

Well, if we talk about britain or pirates captains (some part of them) then yes, but look around: we have lesser nations in game, which doesn't pray for easy game. In Danemark I can't remember any significant clan, who switched to other nation. It is in most cases only individuals. So is that rly human nature?

As you and I state it's individuals we clearly agree on the assertion.

About diplo patch I have feeling it will make situation with switching even worse. National government will belong to majority, forcing minority to obey. In this case only way to do what you want coming from nation switch.

First of all I think devs should rework switch to piracy. It is now like halfway done path. Mechanism itself was part of different concept, where pirates should be outcast hardcore faction. It had no problem in easy switch to pirates in that concept, but in current live concept prates = nation, it makes switching unbalanced in favor to pirates. So they must remove easy switch to pirates or make it as planned before - hardcore faction, where only minority will go by own will.

Piracy mechanics themselves have little to do with the problem. You put the casual gamer in a corner and let them be played. Do you want the map Black, Blue, Green or Yellow? Or in the current state: fishy. :D

I can't say this has been a problem on pvp1. The populations are high enough that player shifts don't drastically alter things. The mass simply absorbs those that move.

During my time on pvp2 I did see this problem have great effect. The smaller populations can't absorb the shifts as readily and the result in power shifts mess up alliances and potentially entire nations.

If you don't want to merge the servers, because you like the smaller crowd server, then you have to take the bad with the good.

I can't say this has been a problem on pvp1. The populations are high enough that player shifts don't drastically alter things. The mass simply absorbs those that move.

During my time on pvp2 I did see this problem have great effect. The smaller populations can't absorb the shifts as readily and the result in power shifts mess up alliances and potentially entire nations.

If you don't want to merge the servers, because you like the smaller crowd server, then you have to take the bad with the good.

Are you serious?  It has been a major problem on pvp1 for since EA.  Significant factions have at some points switched nations, usually from a nation getting its butt kicked and them switching to pirate.  There were even people suggesting that everyone turn pirate just so that the devs would be forced to change the mechanic.  Thankfully, most people rejected that suggestion.

The game is still in alpha, right now this is fine, I would leave it as is till much later in beta.  

So if they leave the alpha tag on forever they don't have to fix major issues? Btw this game has been in 'alpha' for two years already.

Alpha, beta, are terms that have no meaning anymore. Hell War Thunder still calls itself a 'Beta' They are just marketing terms and review blocks.

I started playing NA 3-4 weeks ago - I joined a nation that was supposed to be difficult only to find they were one of the top three nations.  I switched to a much smaller nation to have the challenge of rebuilding and fighting against the odds.

In switching, I lost all my outposts, many of my ships, and my officer.

I don't think swapping should be a frequent thing, but it should be allowed.

• Like 2

Are you serious? It has been a major problem on pvp1 for since EA. Significant factions have at some points switched nations, usually from a nation getting its butt kicked and them switching to pirate. There were even people suggesting that everyone turn pirate just so that the devs would be forced to change the mechanic. Thankfully, most people rejected that suggestion.

Not that I have noticed. Initially joined Spain because it was small nation needing players. Once that issue was resolved I hopped over to USA because they were getting stomped by the pirate nation. Once that turned around the pirate nation was small so switched to pirate. The power shifts in pvp1 all heal themselves over time as they should. That why the map still has x8 colors spread all over it. Log into pvp2 the map is basically x3 colors. Sweden and France don't exist in any measure and it's been that way for months. Pvp2 doesn't heal nations over time. I know you had some bad experiences on pvp1 with USA player going pirates months ago and even the Brits had trouble with Aussies leaving last month. But even those hiccups heal over time. Britain is back on top, USA is strong again and basically the server conflicts continue with all x8 nations participating. It's works. Pvp2 doesn't work. I went back again the day the pvp1 server went out. France is still relatively uncompetitive nation there along with Sweden. Has been since a bunch of us French and Swedes went on sabbatical after the first talks of merges months ago. The Danes rolled over both nations and have kept them down and unplayable ever since. Pvp2 pop is to small to absorb such power shift and still keep x8 teams in play.

Edited by Bach

I know you had some bad experiences on pvp1 with USA player going pirates months ago and even the Brits had trouble with Aussies leaving last month. But even those hiccups heal over time.

/Me chuckles.

AUSFC has seen the end game on the current mechanics. If you have seen Jeheil's latest Letter to the King, the British Aussies are now seeing the end game as well. Soon their only option is to turn Pirate to see the last ends of it. Thrust me, there is no cake (yet).

Hence admin is pushing hard on the new port battle mechanics, so we once again can all play a role in the story.

And this is what I say, everybody must have the appropriate option to take part in the story.

Switching nation in game must be one of them.

I thought you made your own story in a sandbox ? My faction was down to just or capital for a while with the US and britian camping it together 24/7 and i always made my own story.

Imagine what a great story it would be to say you led your faction back from the brink rather than your story being yeah i swaped factions to try out thier story.

• Like 2

If I was forced to play in the nation I chose when I first joined Naval Action, then I would no longer be playing NA.  I've only switched nations once, but that one swap has made all the difference.  And, no, I did not swap nations because my first nation was "losing" in RvR; RvR means very little to me.

• Like 1

I thought you made your own story in a sandbox ? My faction was down to just or capital for a while with the US and britian camping it together 24/7 and i always made my own story.

Imagine what a great story it would be to say you led your faction back from the brink rather than your story being yeah i swaped factions to try out thier story.

Excellent and good for you.

At the time AUSEZ made the switch British were the most powerful and the west side map was in a similar state it is now. As Jeheil is saying the Aussies are finding out they are battling the mechanics, not the players.

If I was forced to play in the nation I chose when I first joined Naval Action, then I would no longer be playing NA.  I've only switched nations once, but that one swap has made all the difference.  And, no, I did not swap nations because my first nation was "losing" in RvR; RvR means very little to me.

Hence I said in the hegemony topic that my initial suggestion is bad.

If we find trouble or exploits in my suggestions, we address them or ditch the suggestion.

Regardless, one goal is to allow every player to experience all content and right now we have a one-way ticket into Piracy. Hence we need players to move into any direction they see fit. Note that the price of such a switch needs to be discussed separately. There are many potential exploits that can happen.

This isnt a stop faction post by any means. Its a stop easy and free swapping. In most games where a player wants to swapna server or faction etc they email the tech crew and tell why then are moved.

By doing that the amount of swaping will be monitored and try hards can be stoped. Hell technology you could still and can swap if you roll a new captian.

Thats kind of my point and others is IF you have decided to swap them the change should cost. Whether by giving up your duty to one king to serve another and losing ranks gold etc or by starting over.

I would hate to see people quiting because thier friends who made them play a certain faction all left amd tbey are stuck.

Then again starting from scratch once you know how to do it is not a monumental tast and even in a week you could be back in a 3rd rate probably.

What i want to swap is the easy peasy swaping back and forth to just stay on tje winning side or to capture a bunch or ports then swapfactions retake amd do over. Its very hard to form trust or make allies or plans for those of us who see this as a rpg experience whem we dont know whos gonna swap in or out.

Personally, pirate is best for me as I don't care about dots on the map (give me my smuggler flag and my free towns :) ) and never wanted to play a naval officer sailing an SOL. But I do believe there should be some in-game way to switch to another faction (other than pirates) with a cool down, maybe 30 days, as well as some incentive, maybe, to join the smaller nations.

Edited by Anne Wildcat
  • Like 5

Personally, pirate is best for me as I don't care about dots on the map (give me my smuggler flag and my free towns :) ) and never wanted to play a naval officer sailing an SOL. But I do believe there should be some in-game way to switch to another faction (other than pirates) with a cool down, maybe 30 days, as well as some incentive, maybe, to join the smaller nations.

Sir you so need to join the DREAD pirates lol.

I wont say stop.. but I would say limit it.. to maybe 1 or 2 at most for each account. Because sometimes it was just a bad idea where you went...

Yeah..if we had to apply via email they could monitor.

Sir you so need to join the DREAD pirates lol.

Yeah..if we had to apply via email they could monitor.

Applying via devs/mods is only for occasions where something went horribly wrong.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/14997-how-did-i-become-a-pirate-with-smuggler-checked/

Our play must never form a burden on devs/mods.

Just tie some in game goal to the faction change and off we go. For Pirates it is currently attack a friendly National. For going National, it might be a payoff, or a cool down or a parliamentary edict.

Make it a goal, continue the story.

I'd tend to favor a mechanic that allowed anyone to switch nations....maybe that's on a very long cool down (months) or cost associated with it etc. Maybe it's a system that allows transfers to nations that have smaller populations? Regardless, the thought behind it is that a system that allows flexibility to players isn't really a bad thing....in fact, most times it is a good thing. It does force nations to work together and perhaps be a little more political because the option for clans or individuals to leave is on the table. Please do not confuse what I'm saying as a desire to see people bandwagoning or switching factions willy nilly but rather just the overall notion that allowing some kind of mechanic to switch isn't bad. I definitely do not approve at the ease of going pirate compared to the difficulty involved switching nations. I'd rather see the same option, whatever that might be, offered to everyone.....

• Like 3

Or if they ever put in a victory system that resets ports after a faction wins then the first time people log in they can choose another faction and keep a % of thier gold and ships .

Letting them keep 100% of everything will just encourage larg clans to all choose same faction every reset and just rolling the map over and over so at least a partial loss of assets should be involved.

I hate to agree with the OP but I have always thought to change your faction you should take nothing with you it should be a new character

Personally I concur with this one.  It should cost everyone equally in order to switch.  Square 1.  But it should be your option to be able to switch if you like.  Why should anyone be singled out as "not allowed" to join a nation, when if you were a complete newb you could buy the game and join any faction of your choosing?  So what's the difference if you used to play for a different nation?  As long as everyone who joins new or switches from another starts out at the same base level 1 with a cutter and a new character, then there's no unbalance there.

The only game feature I might consider adding is for any character that switched factions, to add to that player's name: his old character name and clan and faction, in his Info sheet for about a week or some hours of gameplay.  That makes the whole transfer process more transparent to the community, for wartime purposes and to keep clan movements transparent.  It doesn't prevent alts, but clarifies a change on the same account.

Edited by Jean Ribault

Faction swapping shouldn't be allowed with a character.

If a player wishes to change factions, then they should have to create a new character, and start over. But shouldn't mean the character they had is deleted. Allowing multiple characters on one server would fix this.

However in the event of allowing a player to have multiple characters on a server , swapping between characters on the same server should be limited to prevent "spying" with alts.

this could be done by making so that, once you log on to a server with a character, you cannot switch character for 1 hour.