Game-Labs Forum

Treaty between Spain and pirates clans

BilL.it

First, I want to say that I am insulted by the notion that WBK is a "gulfie" clan. We ran crafting out of Cayo Del Anclote, yes, but we operated everywhere. We were at Sunbury, at Cabo, and we fought in Cuba and the Bahamas. We move with the fight.

I concur, which is why my clan still fights, and we are being joined by those US players who wish to make a stand.

I will second what EricKilla says here. I have seen him and his clan in every defense made since the first attack on the east coast by SORRY a  couple of months back. WBK should definitely not be lumped in with those clans in the west that cared less about anything other than their little group of ports. WBK has been a leader in the current push back and their move, from what I observed, into the gulf was driven by the fights that were taken there after the east coast fell.

• Like 1

Quite frankly it's a sand box. It's supposed to be up to the players to determine what happens in the sand box. The devs just provide the back drop. If players want to create an arena then those choosing to are free to do so. If a group wants to Zerg empty port battles to color that map till they bore their own players to death then they are free to do so. Players that don't want to be part of either are free to go do what ever. All you need is for the game map to be BIG enough that there is room for all this at the same time. The map is pretty large now. Given a few more weeks the game will right itself again as the current Zerg team burns itself out.

What we learned in testing is that the game probably needs a few tweaks to actually make things slightly more difficult for the zergs to help prevent/stall burn out and slow down play to crush effects from running victims off so fast. That's really about all that happened.

Edited by Bach
  • Like 2

Its totally boring currently - when I saw the Pirates advancing down I thought about evacuating my stuff to Jamaica - but the next thought was - Why? With the changes made, sailing between Bensalem and PR a couple of times is boring of itself and not worth the time. Maybe defend the ports? What for? What does it give you? Best case its flipped back and forth and even if, why would one need another port with resources that you already have just 5mins away from your capital? Territory doesnt mean anything and is worthless, even port battles are worthless, there isnt any benefit of doing it, especially with the wipe of all the stuff coming, I just quit playing, there is nothing worthwhile left to do.

And the worst part - I wont probably come back even if this Alpha is ever finished, the ratio fun:time is just way too off. Ofcourse thats a personal impression, but it also explains the massive drop in playerbase - there is just nothing left to do.

Edited by Darkbaron

The port flipping needs to be slowed down, PB's need to be more valuable and time/resource consuming. So nations can't launch 20 attacks on one evening.

Best Idea was to anounce them in advance, so people had enough time to gather the defences, instead of it being a blitzkrieg capping a dozen ports on one evening.

• Like 1

For me, and many other ppl, the fun is to seeing our nation prospering, by wars (sometimes) and military strategy but by diplomacy and politics agreements too..

I think it's time for a little discussion I usually have around roleplaying games. I call it, "the difference between roleplaying and making s**t up."

Roleplaying is reacting to a fantasy environment as it is presented to you, staying within the confines of that fantasy.

You are a ship captain, here is a ship, it has cannons and crew and so forth and there are other ships to fight and you can take over ports. You can roleplay as a ship captain reacting to these events and that's all very good and well. You can roleplay being upset over the loss of your ship because you do actually lose it -- the game supports your roleplaying on this issue.

"Making s**t up" is reacting to elements that actually don't exist, even within the confines of the fantasy world. You can't claim that your Surprise is really the Starship Enterprise and that you are really Captain Kirk. That's not roleplaying. That's making s**t up. You can't cry over the death of your 1st mate because the game right now does not have 1st mates, and all your crew shows back up after the fight anyway so it's really "making s**t up" to cry about the loss of a crew member right now.

The relevance to this discussion is that claiming that strategy and diplomacy really matters and is good for your nation is "making s**t up". You might say, "Ah ha! We pirates have taken over the entire Florida coast! We shall become rich off of these bounties!" That's exactly as bad as saying "I am Captain Kirk of the Starship Enterprise! This is my starship in disguise!" That's not roleplaying. The in-game reality of most port takeovers is that what you did doesn't matter and doesn't help your team even within the context of the fantasy game. If this game was reality and there was really a Pirate admiral somewhere, he would agree that no, taking all those ports literally did nothing for the pirate nation and none of them are going to especially profit from it. If anything, it made the situation worse because the only entertainment that exists -- sinking enemy ships -- has become harder to find.

So I want to agree with you.

I want port takeovers to matter.

I want there to be a real, interesting, deep strategy game here that really matters.

But that doesn't exist right now and I'm not going to log into a boring game and take empty ports just so people like you can make s**t up about it mattering when it very obviously does not.

If we can find a way to log in and have fun and pewpew and ignore the broken strategy game for now then maybe that would be for the best.

• Like 2

Dear Tenakha kan,

4 Pirate Crews and a hand full of Islands a nation does not make and certainly not an empire. It was more of a Pirate coalition that also "temporarily" owned island, Working in unison to support the activity of Piracy not conquering Nations.

Regards,

Captain Saintjacktar

USS BANSHEE

Australian Flotilla

Tattered Flags

United States

Please enlighten us as to how large the Navy was at this time. Six frigates? How many 1st rates did the USN have? None? Remember that when you refer to the history of pirates.

Please enlighten us as to how large the Navy was at this time. Six frigates? How many 1st rates did the USN have? None? Remember that when you refer to the history of pirates.

By 1818, which was when the flag that the US flies in the game was replaced by a different design, the United States had a number of SoLs either completed or in production. The US Navy only had 6 frigates in 1794, yes, but that was right after the Revolutionary War and the drafting of the Constitution. Even then, they were made to be frigates superior to those of other navies, as Congress recognized that our navy would be smaller than, say, Britain's navy. 

If we're talking the history of pirates, the largest pirate vessel was an over-gunned frigate. Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge? Frigate. Charles Vane's Ranger? 12-gun Brigantine. Hornigold had a 30-gun sloop and a 20-gun trader ship. Piracy was nearly dead by the 1800s. The US Navy in 1818 would have shredded any combined force of pirates in the manner we have been engaging in-game. The Royal Navy had problems facing USS Constitution and her sisters. Imagine how the extremely undergunned pirates would fare.

Edited by EricKilla
  • Like 1