Game-Labs Forum

Patch 9.8 - Damage model 5.0, Server merges, Bird is a word (19th may)

admin

And let's remember, you can still only be in one place at once.

And you can only teleport to places you've already established outposts, and you need to have a ship there to get into. There is still strategy and prep involved in being where you need to be.

there is only 1 way to win, brawl and board

I have understood, that actually sinking a warship with cannons, that took actually very long.  Often ships were boarded and captured.  So in the game, sinking ships is actually rather easy.

But, I would say that boarding upgrades are way too good.  Full exceptional boarding setup, and your men are total annihilation meat grinders.  We all know that Exceptional Marines, are probably the most expensive upgrade, and by far.  It cannot be built, and everyone wants one, just because those are so ridiculously good.

People with sailing/cannon upgrades, they are really weak vs boarding setup.  But ships with boarding setup, they have an disadvantage in sailing/cannons, but it is not so big that it actually defines the battle.  Boarding process needs ~0 skill, it is just about how good upgrades you have.

+ on top of that, with boarding setup you will actually capture the enemy ship.  By just sinking, you get nothing.  I believe this is the reason why we are seeing more and more boarding setups in the game.

I would like to speak four things:

1 - Sorry for the horrible English. I am Brazilian :D

2 - Congratulations to the Devs. Hear the opinion of the gaming community is critical to the development of the game.

3 - The new damage model really is too bad. However devs have pledged to fix it. It's just time to give devs to do it, right?

4 - About TP, I'm confused: my TP model affects other players? I understand that if the TP cooldown does not affect other players there is no reason for this discussion...

It is pretty obvious your teleporting back and forth across the map affects other players or are you just a PvE player?

As I said before, instant teleporting trivializes the map. Why not have a map one quarter the size (not scaled down, but cut to one quarter) and dump us all into a small space so we can easily get everywhere in a short time? I'm hoping the devs are only monkeying with teleport parameters for the test phase of the game and will come to some compromise with their previous adamant statement of NO teleport for the release version.

I have followed a bit the discussion, and I think that Teleporting should be an option at a 'comfortable' rate.

The map is nice in matter of size, and from day to day  I love to sail around pretty much.

But let's keep realist, the dev will have a hard time getting people into the game if you need

half an hour just to get to the closest port and back, and over 4+ hours to reach another place.

Some Hardcore gamers with plenty of free time will surely enjoy that, but casual players will definitively

hate it and avoid the game. 

So the solution, in my opinion, lay somewhere between. Perhaps have a bit of a more free TP option

for PVE server, where the harbour defense is not a problem, and for pvp server have

a 'security'.

And as a security, the idea could be that a port under attack is not open for TP in or out

and having a range around that attacked port where other ports are not free to tp in and out.

That range could be set so reinforcement should be able to reach the battle in time if the port

is attacked with "too few units", like that a single player should not be able to flip ports around,

But still being long enough that a good planned attack with enough fighting force should have some time

to do a lot of damage or capture the place before reinforcement arrive. 

That could solve most of the issue, having a tp on a comfortable timer to let both hardcore gamer

and casual enjoy the game, and provide some room for harbour fights, both to the advantage

of the "organized group of players" and potentially limiting the "1 player flip" issues. 

That security range could also have a dynamical size depending on the strength

of a nation. The stronger the nation, the 'smaller' the security range their raider

gets, so that way smaller nation still keep a chance to defend their assets 

and smaller nation get a larger security range, to provide a at least opportunity

to flip a town.

All this to resume that the TP should be something in the game to have people with

less game time allowed to enjoy the game and insure some more presence,

and a mechanic that let more dedicated players with more free time to play

an option to lock down some areas when they are raiding them.

That option would of course not solve everything, but no solution will manage that feat.

I have followed a bit the discussion, and I think that Teleporting should be an option at a 'comfortable' rate.

The map is nice in matter of size, and from day to day  I love to sail around pretty much.

But let's keep realist, the dev will have a hard time getting people into the game if you need

half an hour just to get to the closest port and back, and over 4+ hours to reach another place.

Some Hardcore gamers with plenty of free time will surely enjoy that, but casual players will definitively

hate it and avoid the game. 

So the solution, in my opinion, lay somewhere between. Perhaps have a bit of a more free TP option

for PVE server, where the harbour defense is not a problem, and for pvp server have

a 'security'.

And as a security, the idea could be that a port under attack is not open for TP in or out

and having a range around that attacked port where other ports are not free to tp in and out.

That range could be set so reinforcement should be able to reach the battle in time if the port

is attacked with "too few units", like that a single player should not be able to flip ports around,

But still being long enough that a good planned attack with enough fighting force should have some time

to do a lot of damage or capture the place before reinforcement arrive. 

That could solve most of the issue, having a tp on a comfortable timer to let both hardcore gamer

and casual enjoy the game, and provide some room for harbour fights, both to the advantage

of the "organized group of players" and potentially limiting the "1 player flip" issues. 

That security range could also have a dynamical size depending on the strength

of a nation. The stronger the nation, the 'smaller' the security range their raider

gets, so that way smaller nation still keep a chance to defend their assets 

and smaller nation get a larger security range, to provide a at least opportunity

to flip a town.

All this to resume that the TP should be something in the game to have people with

less game time allowed to enjoy the game and insure some more presence,

and a mechanic that let more dedicated players with more free time to play

an option to lock down some areas when they are raiding them.

That option would of course not solve everything, but no solution will manage that feat.

Problem is that many people came to this game after seeing a few videos of combat on youtube without knowing where they were going or what this game was about, I guess we have to thank to all youtubers jumping on the last new title of the moment showing only the cool combats and them crowd following them blindly, they were expecting a Call of duty on seas and realize it's a bit more time consuming than this ... 

And this part never was a mystery for anyone who looked a bit deeper into this game, long sailing was supposed to be part of the game and an important part of it ... It was clear that it wasn't a game for all but a niche game and time consuming one, that's how i always saw it, for example the october 6, 2014 :

http://www.navalaction.com/blog/2014/10/6/current-development-plans

Current size of our Caribbean is 16 mln sq km. It currently takes 30 to 60 mins real time in the fastest ship to reach La Grenade from Guadeloupe. 

or exploration that will come at some point i hope : http://www.navalaction.com/blog/2014/9/14/exploration-gameplay

Now what many people want is instant pvp combats, free towns and silly magical spawn points just in front of enemies most frequented waters for instant pvp ... well not really pvp... sadly what many want is pvp only if they have a big advantage, if the combat is more or less balanced they won't adventure doing it and spend them time running away, what many want is instant easy auto win mode where like seen multiples times a group of 7-8 trincos jump on a single 5th rate ships ... This sadly for the game is the majority of what happens in terms of PVP, get ganked or gank others ...

Too many came to this game without knowing what it was about beside the cool and appealing naval combat part, now dev's have to deal with both category of players, those who want more realistic/sim and those who want a fast paced call of duties on seas ... In the end they won't be able to please both, if might even hurt badly the game if they want to please a bit each side as the mix of both won't please anyone in the end.

• Like 2

If you want to keep instant teleporting for its obvious time convenience in this game, but still want to stop its abuse for port battles, then you could add another timer for anyone who teleports that does not allow them to engage in a port battle for say, 8 hours after a teleport (or whatever the suitable timeframe would be).  They could still teleport and then battle the next day, but it would require a good coordination amongst clans or groups, like any other port battle.  No more instantaneous get there and do a port battle.  It would also apply to defenders, but if you extend the thought perhaps port battles should be announced a day or two in advance anyway so defenders can organize.  Historically that information would've been available to ports in advance anyway, an entourage of 20 ships didn't just show up in most cases without warning.

Edited by Jean Ribault
  • Like 1

now dev's have to deal with both category of players, those who want more realistic/sim and those who want a fast paced call of duties on seas ... In the end they won't be able to please both, if might even hurt badly the game if they want to please a bit each side as the mix of both won't please anyone in the end.

Well said!

Yeah. We really need to make more rules to prevent players doing battles... 8 hours before going to the action part... Why not a week? 

You missed the point entirely, obviously didn't read it all.  It's for using the teleport system, I didn't say wait 8 hours for all battles.  Read.  Taken out of context as you did, I would then agree with you, but that's not the point of the entire paragraph.

Edited by Jean Ribault

You missed the point entirely, obviously didn't read it all.  It's for using the teleport system, I didn't say wait 8 hours for all battles.  Read.  Taken out of context as you did, I would then agree with you, but that's not the point of the entire paragraph.

We need ANY improvements that can make it easier to access battles (especially the larger ones). Not the opposite. If plp "abuses" neutral ports its becourse they are seeking "action" (Naval Action - remember?). 

Im beginning to doubt that OW is the solution. There are too many dissappointed players with an OW. Either they find no action or too much ganking or too dangerous or too slow or too fast paced battles. Im pretty bored at the moment. Something does not seem to work proberly. I have to use too much time in order to have fun... Id say that as is it is 90% boredom and 10% fun. It should be the other way around. Sailing in a ship for hours just to get tagged by a player that wants to hold you away from a PB is simply booooring. Hunting a trader with bow chasers for an hour is boooring. Sailing around just to meet the "BATTLE IS CLOSED" is simply boooring. 

Ive almost stopped playing the game as it is too time consuming. Ive returned to more thrilling games like CoH2, Airland Battle, Red Orchestra 2, EU IV even... And I love sailing ships and the napoleonic age. Food for thought!

Edited by fox2run

I love the new teleport. (PVE) I can choose where I want to play today. I can sail somewhere leave the ship there and join in on another ship if the clan chooses to become active at a particular point of time. It doesn't replace the long sails. If you want to trade goods you have to sail there. If you want to explore you have to sail. If you want to fight you have to sail.

Clearly there is some kind of port battle thing on PVP that I don't even want to know about, but rather than nerf everyone's teleport again surely it is better to address the port battle issue directly as only a port battle issue.

• Like 1

this patch wasn't bad execpt the damage model 5.0 that is more historic and less playable that what we got before...

the problem is that this patch is not solvig any real problem (exact tp traders).

It's an unexepected patch for unexepected things we don't really care. Lamost everything in is good but what is the priority?

Sociezty storage or allowing society master to class people per name or per last connection?

Waht DM 5.0 necessary when it makes more people leaving the game that joining the game?

Why to make this minor patch when rvr is  so broken that people are leaving the games day after day?

• Like 2

this patch wasn't bad execpt the damage model 5.0 that is more historic and less playable that what we got before...

the problem is that this patch is not solvig any real problem (exact tp traders).

It's an unexepected patch for unexepected things we don't really care. Lamost everything in is good but what is the priority?

Sociezty storage or allowing society master to class people per name or per last connection?

Waht DM 5.0 necessary when it makes more people leaving the game that joining the game?

Why to make this minor patch when rvr is  so broken that people are leaving the games day after day?

RvR will get fixed in summer but the Devs cant work faster than they are. DM Model 5.0 is fine, you just need to know how to play and thats not 150+ Yards away. Now you really need to know how to maneuver to get a good broadside, which will penetrate.  I dont understand the highlighted Sentence. Because in this phase of the game player numbers are as necessary as a heater in a fridge. Testing different styles of gameplay, and what will fit the game best is more important.

You really need to get that this is a Alpha.

DM Model 5.0 is fine, you just need to know how to play and thats not 150+ Yards away. Now you really need to know how to maneuver to get a good broadside, which will penetrate. I dont understand the highlighted Sentence. Because in this phase of the game player numbers are as necessary as a heater in a fridge. Testing different styles of gameplay, and what will fit the game best is more important.

You really need to get that this is a Alpha.

Well, the drop of numbres while some dont care put a bad taste in other mouths. And there will never be a spike in playernumbers again like when it went on steam.

While some think the new dmg model increase the skill (like you) others think it reduces it (like me)

• Like 2

Well, the drop of numbres while some dont care put a bad taste in other mouths. And there will never be a spike in playernumbers again like when it went on steam.

While some think the new dmg model increase the skill (like you) others think it reduces it (like me)

there will be the big spike on release and then the numbers will fall again, its the way of life

players who judge the game based on numbers are making the mistake. for example no-one plays civilization 2 today on steam. GTA 5 numbers are 24 times lower than on release. based on the logic their games are getting worse, which is incorrect.

people leave games because when they played enough. and its ok.

• Like 14