Game-Labs Forum

Patch 9.8 - Damage model 5.0, Server merges, Bird is a word (19th may)

admin

Yesterday I had the same problem in battle doing admirality mission against AI ship. I reported it as a bug too. I cannot leave the battle and have to wait 1 hour and half to leave or surrender and lose my ship. This is not a good idea from developers.

Were you taking water? I saw somewhere in the descriptions of the new damage system that taking on water now resets the escape timer (like getting hit does). 

• Like 1

I think smuggler flag (allowing tag by friendly players) should only be active if you are on a trader ship (description in game actually implies this is how it should work).  We should be fixing pirate exploits, not extending them to all players.

• Like 1

I think smuggler flag (allowing tag by friendly players) should only be active if you are on a trader ship (description in game actually implies this is how it should work).  We should be fixing pirate exploits, not extending them to all players.

Agreed.

• Like 1

I hear where you're coming from, but when considered in the context of removing outpost TP cooldowns, it becomes a balancing tool for equalizing the ability to quickly move warships around the map for port defenses.

The OW is very big and currently our population is relatively small. But even if our population was huge, I'm not convinced that this state of affairs is a bad thing. It's certainly great fun for me to be able to move around, and I don't mind the fact that reinforcements can be quickly summoned to counter my depredations against trade ships. I'd rather have the company, all things considered, than constantly be seeking people in the OW for PVP and not being able to find them.

Let's give it some more time, is my opinion. We might just like it :)

• Like 2

I think the new damage system will need reworking.

Stern raked an Ingermanland in a Trincomalee with grape - textbook rake, all angles perfect - 0 kills. And the stern armour of the Inger was completely down. Rinse and repeat in several battles - same problem. One of the other rakes scored 1 Hull hit, but still 0 kills :D

Also, shooting an Inger with Victory - full broadside, 1.5 ship lengths away (approximately) - less than half penetrated. Even worse when broadsiding a Pavel. This extends the battles immeasurably, and they seem quite tedious now.

Ingermanland ridiculously overpowered now as well :)

(I have got no dog in the Connie vs. Inger argument, btw - I am from Eastern Europe :)

The idea behind the changes is nice, but a little bit over now (Ex., masts are ridiculously strong now), please tweak :)

For now, it damages the fun so much, that it hurts :)

Edited by Muminukas
  • Like 6

Very good patch, except the new damage model.
In my opinion the damage model needs an overhaul...

Besides some bugs (hits with visible detonation got not counted very often and sometimes your balls were just flying through the enemy ship and splashing in the water on the other side (no - they are not reflected from the hull, they just go through)) there are several issues. PvE fights no take way too long - yesterday I needed around 90 minutes and over 500 hull hits in a fight against two reno's (in a belle poule). The last reno was for around 5-10 minutes in water even with three board sides down. This all might be interesting against another player -but for a simple 135xp mission this is too long and just no fun.

What lengthens the fights additionally is that now cannon loss is at a very very very very high rate. Even with 90% side armor I've lost up the half of my cannons.
The damaged rudder penalties are making it very hard to get the battle back to your conditions versus a NPC since the rudder is not always getting repaired with repair options. Even a bigger ship can then cross easily behind your stern without giving you the chance to bring it side by side. And firing angled on it will make 95% of the balls be reflected from the hull.

Still I am able to win the battles like before (maybe I take little more damage) - but it takes much more time and tends to be very annoying since you're spending eternities trying to get alongside with your enemies.

For me - battles are now no more fun. I'll focus on trading and check out the travel exp system. I hope that there might be a hotfix very soon (at least for the annoying bugs) because I used to like this game a lot although it used to be a time sink but like this - fighting, a major aspect of the game, totally bores me. 

• Like 2

Damage model for the Indiaman may need some work. I built one yesterday on pvp2 and conducted some sea trials with a matey. 

His first stern shot, a single ball from a Trinc, reduced the rudder to zero. So we intercepted the game data (api file). Though coded in some verbose Crypto-Ukrainian dialect, my ship's scribe was able to decrypt the following:

"Constitution":
    "HealthInfo": {
        "Rudder": 120},
"Brig":
        "Rudder": 75},
"Indiaman":
        "Rudder": 3}

He said I should submit kind of notice, an "F11 buggery report" I think he called it. I have no idea since I do not permit foul language, like json, on my boat. The scribe has been mastheaded.

The original Wrongway Peachfuzz was such a poor navigator that his crew disconnected the helm from the rudder, so they could steer from below while he merrily spun the wheel. I feel the same on this Indiaman, so it's the perfect boat for me! 

Indiaman summary: Like my wife, she turns red if you tap her on the butt. 

• Like 6

It's me or the damage model is broken i mean with a broadside of a pavel only 6 of my shot penetrated an ingermanland even though the inger wasn't angled and only 150 meter separated her from me i couldn't damage that much the ship it took like 1/2 hour to sink her (with friends help)

Also we're loosing canons too fast in two broadsides i lost most of canons (around 10) so the battle take too much time the fact that we can no longer penetrate the ship and that we loose too much guns in a short time.

Edited by Lenecro

As anyone experienced much slower loading in game since the patch ?

Asking as I do. From some very correct loading time, I am now down to being unable to 

load in a battle (or just pick my resources) without having very long delays.

The couple of last battles I played, the battle was already started by the time

I finished loading.

Not sure if it's intended. The same about having up to 20-30 seconds of delay when picking

my resources from the buildings (Craft -> Resource -> collect).

I'm playing on the PVE server. And I have a pretty good computer rig, 16GB memory,

with full SDD drive. And I was not experiencing that problem before. 

The new damage model definitely needs a rework, bigger ships got way to Overpowered.
Ingermanland is enjoying god mode, grape is useless, frigates can't do much against larger vessels.

Please give us people who like sailing Frigates a chance here.

• Like 3

Were you taking water? I saw somewhere in the descriptions of the new damage system that taking on water now resets the escape timer (like getting hit does). 

No, I wasn't. My ship was damaged and I was trying to escape from the battle but I did not taking water.

7 ships from renomme to constitions vs. 1 Ingermanland.

First we shoot masts 30 - 40 minutes..no mast was broken.

Then we try to shot the side structures (close distance). When we come closer to Endtime of battle limit, we decide to capture.

This was successfully. Ingermanland is overpowered i think and battles are tooo long coz of so less damage.

We really needs a fix here.

Edited by Sven Silberbart
  • Like 2

I believe crew kills on the  Rattlesnake are not counting, nor counting toward XP. I wish I had recorded my 20 broadsides on the Rattlesnake for visual proof of crew being killed, however here are the battle results. I also suggest XP be awarded for Sails, Modules, Cannon, Fire, etc, etc. And that the coefficient for XP awarded per Crew is somehow off. To kill 16 and get 4, yet kill 11 and get only 2 seems slightly off. 

(Also a suggestion of rearranging the result list across the top)

nU3Ommt.jpg

• Like 2

Went punting around in my yacht around Sunbury, tagged a player Gros Ventre.  In battle I took his stern armour off with my carros and proceeded to grape away.  Only killing max 15 men per pass, 100m range, perfect angle.  Before this patch could kill 40-50 per rake.  Have not tested anything else yet.

Went punting around in my yacht around Sunbury, tagged a player Gros Ventre.  In battle I took his stern armour off with my carros and proceeded to grape away.  Only killing max 15 men per pass, 100m range, perfect angle.  Before this patch could kill 40-50 per rake.  Have not tested anything else yet.

I was the one you tried to attack and failed.  I don't think the issue was with damage changes, I am pretty sure it was your sailing and trying to ram me lolz.  Ty for the yacht dura though!

While I actually like most of this patch a few things stand out as in need of SERIOUS adjustment.

Battle joining.... Your patch notes read that the 120 sound timer will not let you joining existing type battles.. Ie no spawning in after battle starts... BUT it is also not letting you join a battle that starts during that timer even if your in the circle and grouped with the person starting it. This is making camping undock nuts now since even a 5 sec spawn in late from your friends means you must go to circle and join or worse yet you get dragged into a sperate battle.

Along this idea.. I understand the no sailing across the circle to join in front of guy you were behind change.. But the join only behind your teammate is also not a good thing...  My Suggestion is circle like per patch.. but with sectors <say 6> around the edge... When you reach the circle edge from your direction of approach you can ONLY join in that sector... This way if you had him surround in Open World you still do... 

The other this is the Mast thickness is nuts now... 20 minutes of fire at 100-150 yards on a Connies sails with a Bellona sails below 70% a couple dozen mast hits.. no mast taken down... Might wanna look at this..

Thanks for reading

Exploits? Doing this now allows the US to get resources from Pirate ports and everyone the ability to attack a friend and not go pirate.. using a game design as intended is NOT an exploit

• Like 1

7 ships from renomme to constitions vs. 1 Ingermanland.

First we shoot masts 30 - 40 minutes..no mast was broken.

Then we try to shot the side structures (close distance). When we come closer to Endtime of battle limit, we decide to capture.

This was successfully. Ingermanland is overpowered i think and battles are tooo long coz of so less damage.

We really needs a fix here.

It isnt an Ingermanland issue. You get the same thing attacking high rated ships with lower now.. I fought 2 player connies yesterday in my Bellona. for 1:10 min... in the end I sank 1 and captured the other...  My damage was maybe 5% to each side... Lost my stern and 300 crew... lost about 60% of bow...  Look at the cannon penetration info in the shop now.. you have to be up close and personal just like most real battles

I am sorry this things dont work for me takes ages to do battle i hope you go back to the before. i will just do some trade and learn crafting meanwhile. i will keep report this as a bug every battle i stumble in because this is rediclious

• Like 3

The end of the outpost TP cool-down is very convenient but I've got a bad, bad feeling about it

Are we going to see massive port flipping, incessant calls to defend or attack ports and increased player burn-out?

The 4 hour cool-down also let players cool down

Yes, smuggler flag should be limited with trade ships only to avoid the annoyance during PvP and RvR actions such as green on green tags, unlimited XP&Gold farming etc.