Game-Labs Forum

Patch 9.8 - Damage model 5.0, Server merges, Bird is a word (19th may)

admin

Agree... teleporting is very usefull especially for "family" players or simply players with limited time for gameplay however as long as it wont kill the gamplay to much... but as a new player I've noticed that NA is still very dynamicaly developed so dont have worries there...

The last pacth simply killed open sea pvp.

- damage system horrible

This is you opinion, not a fact. My opinion is that its x10 better than what we had since now theres more depth to battles.

- 1.5 hours for 2 consti and 2 inger to sink a bellona (are u kidding me?)

If you cant get into 250 meter range (at witch your 24 pounder longs, 42 pounder carros, 32 longs would melt the belona like butter even if its live oak) with 4 smaller more manuverable ships. Its more of players issue than the game. Unless ofcourse you didnt get the memo that ships no longer use rail guns that penetrate 1 metter of armor from 1 km away.

- demast not possible, wtf?????  demast was one of the main target in the age of sail, but now in the game almost impossible, that means you guys kills the possibility of use tactics of PVP

Not a naval history expert, but to my understanding (and the reason why chain shot, which up till now had no use in game whatsoever and bar shot existed) the idea was to damage sails and rigging. I sincerelly doubt that it was that easy to take down a 1 metter thick, steel reinforced, sloped piece of wood as you make it sound.

- rebound balls, useless carronades and cannons even in close position

Again learn the engagement distance with the new penetration values instead of trying to snype masts at max range. Carronades specially on large ship weather decks are now more usefull than ever.

- crazy positions to enter a battle, sometimes battle circle is on the land, before the pacth it was amazing to coordinate how to enter a battle pls change it back

This is the only one that has some sence, since indead the zones can be placed on land.

these changes should be rollback

this patch kill the game kill the pvp

teleport and clan warehouse are the only useable from the last pacth

i bought the game to get pvp, now it is just waste of time... i am stop playing until tis changes are exist

o7

smuggler feature and the no cooldown teleport for outposts are both excellent features. I dont get long to play most days and I have been able to see more of the world in the last few days since patch hit than i had in my whole time previous to this as id have rarely ventured far for the fact id be stuck there for the next 4 hours.

I would like to see the teleport back to capital cooldown maybe reduced somewhat especially since it cant be abused for teleporting mass quantitys of good anymore.

• Like 1

In the battles of sail, what I have understood.  The ships were not very far from each other.  If you are close to the enemy, 90 degree angle, and you cannot penetrate, then I agree, we have an issue.

Check some videos from youtube, you can see that people are hammering each other from 45 degree.  If you are still doing it, stop it.  It does not work in World of Tanks, why should it work in Naval Action?

Cannon damage or armor hp, maybe these could be modified so that battles would be shorter.  Either more damage or less hp.  But, I would 1st wait that people understand that they need to get clean shots.  Maneuvering and positioning is now more important than before, which is imho is a very good thing.

Santisima duel, if you check 42pd penetration value.  You can penetrate the enemy from very far.  With your 24pd, <500m.  With your 12pd, <100m.

So yes, you cannot any more just fire all your cannons from any angle and distance you like.

Teleport without cooldown, why it is not cool.

Basically, if you draw a circle around each freetown and your capital.  Then you make the circles bigger and bigger, until the whole map is covered at least by one circle.  This is the size of the world atm.

GB clan is fighting a war against Spain, later they teleport to fight a war against Dutch, then they teleport to fight against pirates.

You can even cap a trader, and teleport your ship to the next battle location.

VS

You have to cooperate with clans, define who is defending and what.  You cannot be in every possible place at the same time.

If you go to wage war against Spain, you know that your back is not guarded, or you have to trust in your allies/countrymen.

OW PvP.  Agreed, now we have more traders sailing the seas, but over all decreased amount of ships in OW.  Decreasing OW PvP.  Yes, before people had to sail as well, not just teleport to instant action.

Maybe teleport cooldown could be instant if you teleport to a town that is owned by your nation.  Freetown teleportation would have a cooldown.

Maybe you should not be able to teleport ships after a battle, in your freetown outposts.  Only to outpost that are owned by your nation.  This way you cannot just teleport a fleet behind enemy lines.

TBH the teleport system could be replaced with an "outpost/port" management screen.

That's IF "managing" mines, forests and warehouses is the real issue.

Have a "manage" button where you can oversee all of your buildings and use crafting time.

I'd rather like a centralised order and delivery system where if you needed goods moving from port to port, you could hire a ship or pay for goods to be moved. Same could be applied to your ships too.

Teleporting is convenient at the moment, because there is no in game mechanic to deal with the "managing" side of resources.

That said, teleporting in a sailing game does feel a bit like "what's the point of sailing then"?

We are still in alpha, so at least there is hope in that front.

yea no teleport in freetown or with cooldown sounds good... BTW teleports works for both parties so attackers can adjust double front tactics for themself as well (but like I previously stated as long as the game is not ruined and teleport tactic is not exploited)... from my point of view teleports are big advantage for "not spending precious time for necessary sailing" :)  I've also noticed it really helps a lot within clan organisation.

Dear Admins!

Maybe u think that is principle to loose so many playerz in this stage of developing. I dont think so. if u see games succesfull today can make a constant player influx. Ur game just loosing faster and faster playerz. why? this game basic OS conception and battle system had far more potential than like World of Tanks or Warships or Heroes and Generals or  Eve online or any other game does, but u ruining ur own game time after time with ur bad developing.

Just to know some rules:

If u want to develope a succesfull game, u have to give joy. For that u have to give fast, not time consuming action for all type of playerz. If u understand this, u should implement free teleport system from start. if u do that, i think u dont loose like 2-8 K active player till now. Now u reduce the OS time wasting, and u implement new damage model to waste our time in battles. It seems for me that the main developer (maybe the only one) just fall in love with SOL-s battle with the most realistic way he can do, and just dont realize, that people dont have time for that. I DONT MIND WHAT TYPE OF DMG MODEL U USE, BUT IF A SHIP AVERAGE SUNK TIME, OR A BATTLE AVERAGE TIME WONT BE AS SHORT AS IT WAS BEFORE THE NEW DAMAGE MODEL, UR GAME DEAD! ITS JUST QUESTION OF TIME! U CAN TUNE SIDES, MAST HP, EVERYTHING, BUT IF U DONT UNDERTSAND THE BASIC HOW TO SATISFY THE CROWD, U WONT BE VIABLE. 2 of my guild mates just turn aside form ur game, when they first time tried the new model. I cant even tell them, its just because of first time, i tried it many times, and its bad. Not even the system or the calculation method, it bad because u want waste our time again!

So imo.:

keep the teleport system (as it should happen from start)

give a similar dmg model was the last patch before (i dont mind if u do it with the new, but dont elong battle time!)

give back demast

give back the os battle initiaton system as it was before the new dmg model patch

give diplomacy patch

dont even think to give cooldown on attacker flags (u will force the still active nations/players go asleep), underdog nations problem should be solved by diplomacy patch or underdog status implemented, not with this stupid idea.

just first time start to prioritze ur work, and after giving back old battle system, work on real issues, and just forget to develope battle system (as it was promised when early access started)

get ready for shitload whining about loosing ships from PVE playerz

get ready for some player influx, maybe more later, if u dont do dumb patches

If u dont do this i will tell u the future. The main developer will be happy with the 50 most HC player still playing the game when it will be finished, and they can discourse on forum how great and realistic is thier game. Right after that the game must be closed because of non profit.

Edited by DrZoidberg
  • Like 2

The no cool-down on teleport is absolutely critical for smaller nations

Not true.

But if you speak about Sweden..  That is the only small nation, that has split to 2 locations.  It is realistic that Sweden is teleporting their ships from the other side of the world, to fight against their enemies?  This utter crap teleportation should stay, just to help Sweden in their war efforts?  I really do not think so.

The rest of the small nations, are small.  They can sail directly to the port battle from their capital.

The big nations, that have to fight on multiple fronts.  They are the only ones who are really benefiting from this.

• Like 1

Dear Admins!

Maybe u think that is principle to loose so many playerz in this stage of developing. I dont think so. if u see games succesfull today can make a constant player influx. Ur game just loosing faster and faster playerz. why? this game basic OS conception and battle system had far more potential than like World of Tanks or Warships or Heroes and Generals or  Eve online or any other game does, but u ruining ur own game time after time with ur bad developing.

Just to know some rules:

If u want to develope a succesfull game, u have to give joy. For that u have to give fast, not time consuming action for all type of playerz. If u understand this, u should implement free teleport system from start. if u do that, i think u dont loose like 2-8 K active player till now. Now u reduce the OS time wasting, and u implement new damage model to waste our time in battles. It seems for me that the main developer (maybe the only one) just fall in love with SOL-s battle with the most realistic way he can do, and just dont realize, that people dont have time for that. I DONT MIND WHAT TYPE OF DMG MODEL U USE, BUT IF A SHIP AVERAGE SUNK TIME, OR A BATTLE AVERAGE TIME WONT BE AS SHORT AS IT WAS BEFORE THE NEW DAMAGE MODEL, UR GAME DEAD! ITS JUST QUESTION OF TIME! U CAN TUNE SIDES, MAST HP, EVERYTHING, BUT IF U DONT UNDERTSAND THE BASIC HOW TO SATISFY THE CROWD, U WONT BE VIABLE. 2 of my guild mates just turn aside form ur game, when they first time tried the new model. I cant even tell them, its just because of first time, i tried it many times, and its bad. Not even the system or the calculation method, it bad because u want waste our time again!

So imo.:

give a similar dmg model was the last patch before (i dont mind if u do it with the new, but dont elong battle time!)

give back demast

give back the os battle initiaton system as it was before the new dmg model patch

give diplomacy patch

dont even think to give cooldown on attacker flags (u will force the still active nations/players go asleep), underdog nations problem should be solved by diplomacy patch or underdog status implemented, not with this stupid idea.

just first time start to prioritze ur work, and after giving back old battle system, work on real issues, and just forget to develope battle system (as it was promised when early access started)

If u dont do this i will tell u the future. The main developer will be happy with the 50 most HC player still playing the game when it will be finished, and they can discourse on forum how great and realistic is thier game. Right after that the game must be closed because of non profit.

Hahahahahaha! :D Funny, crass and badly written, but some good points, in my view!

Instead of all that teleporting, you could speed up OW sailing. Just don't make it look like you're going 100 mph. It could still look like you're doing 20 knots.

Edited by Lannes

Dear Admins!

Just to know some rules:

So imo.:

give back demast

give diplomacy patch

This is so well constructed and informative im baffled as to why more game developers dont seek out your council on game development to make them successful.

Not true.

But if you speak about Sweden..  That is the only small nation, that has split to 2 locations.  It is realistic that Sweden is teleporting their ships from the other side of the world, to fight against their enemies?  This utter crap teleportation should stay, just to help Sweden in their war efforts?  I really do not think so.

The rest of the small nations, are small.  They can sail directly to the port battle from their capital.

The big nations, that have to fight on multiple fronts.  They are the only ones who are really benefiting from this.

Your summary is limited to war only.  Economics support war.  The small nations cannot war without that support, and for that they need to be able to craft.  The two new features of smuggler and free teleport allow them to support their economy with the end game being a resurgence power, even if still weak.  Without these features they likely cannot do this.  They have to sail through endless enemy waters in order to make that happen.

• Like 2

Your summary is limited to war only.  Economics support war.  The small nations cannot war without that support, and for that they need to be able to craft.  The two new features of smuggler and free teleport allow them to support their economy with the end game being a resurgence power, even if still weak.  Without these features they likely cannot do this.  They have to sail through endless enemy waters in order to make that happen.

What kind of economical benefits small nations can get from outpost teleports without cooldown?  If we do not take on account Sweden, that has a rather special situation atm.

What kind of economical benefits small nations can get from outpost teleports without cooldown?  If we do not take on account Sweden, that has a rather special situation atm.

Transaction time for starters.  If my faction has 50 ports I can sail next door and conduct business.  If I have one then time, risk, and opportunity are dramatically increased without this option.  I've experienced both sides of this in the last month and it's a fact.

Edited by Jean Ribault
  • Like 1

- damage system horrible

This is you opinion, not a fact. My opinion is that its x10 better than what we had since now theres more depth to battles.

Not only my opinion. A lot of players claim...

- 1.5 hours for 2 consti and 2 inger to sink a bellona (are u kidding me?)

If you cant get into 250 meter range (at witch your 24 pounder longs, 42 pounder carros, 32 longs would melt the belona like butter even if its live oak) with 4 smaller more manuverable ships. Its more of players issue than the game. Unless ofcourse you didnt get the memo that ships no longer use rail guns that penetrate 1 metter of armor from 1 km away.

Man, you think we were out of range or what? 

It was a close fight.

We did pvp almost every day in the last 3 months. Now after this patch we hadn't have proper os pvp...

Again 2 consti, 2 inger against 1 bellona. And 1.5 hours to sink it! ITS STUPIDITY!!! Its simply killing os pvp!

waste of time

- demast not possible, wtf?????  demast was one of the main target in the age of sail, but now in the game almost impossible, that means you guys kills the possibility of use tactics of PVP

Not a naval history expert, but to my understanding (and the reason why chain shot, which up till now had no use in game whatsoever and bar shot existed) the idea was to damage sails and rigging. I sincerelly doubt that it was that easy to take down a 1 metter thick, steel reinforced, sloped piece of wood as you make it sound.

yeah, you are not a history expert... maybe you newer heard about how ships lost their mast in a battle or even in a storm, it was a useful tactic to stop the movements of the enemy ships

on the other hand in the current game mechanic if you try to reduce the sails of the enemy ship it still very fast even with 70% sails

demast should be part of the game

- rebound balls, useless carronades and cannons even in close position

Again learn the engagement distance with the new penetration values instead of trying to snype masts at max range. Carronades specially on large ship weather decks are now more usefull than ever.

No, after this patch carronades are unusable

and so annoying when a lot of balls goes through the ship without any hit and strikes in the other side of the ship or just splash in the middle of the ship of course without any hit

- crazy positions to enter a battle, sometimes battle circle is on the land, before the pacth it was amazing to coordinate how to enter a battle pls change it back

This is the only one that has some sence, since indead the zones can be placed on land.

The previous one was better. It gives the possibility to our hand to use strategy, tactics where to enter a battle, the current one is perfect for crying PVE players

One teak build capping Connie in a firefight with a third rate (using useless carronades as you state)...

http://imgur.com/MyTYWMa

less than 30 minutes to sink it start to finish, so again its not the mechanics that are broken unfortunately, but its you and your 3 friends that should spend a bit of time dueling each other to learn the game if it takes you 1,5 hours to take one Belona with 4 4th rates.

Edited by Ledinis

I do feel damage model is too difficult.  I will be back once it is changed

I also feel that trading has been ruined now that ports stop buying.  I sailed the whole southern Caribbean and Yucatan and could not find buyers for multiple goods.  Devs took away the compass wood boon but now I can't sell anything.  Maybe Im doing it wrong.

I feel that SOLS are too strong for fun game play.  Not everyone can devote countless hours for battles and learning how to perfectly rake opponents.  Its tough to find the balance for the hard core and casual player.  I believe the last damage model was better balanced.

I want to play a fun game that is challenging but not impossible.  Historical accuracy is important but may be second place in some details. I would prefer most of the action be nation on nation with occasional pirate shallow port captures and extensive commerce raids.  Pirates should not sail SOLS and should not take large ports.  

I fear that there are so many people forgetting this game is still in development that they are getting frustrated by the "rule Changes".  Perhaps Devs should have admitted fewer testers until full release.  I bet many will come back after full release.

When is full release?

Edited by Hornblower V
  • Like 2

Teleport without cooldown, why it is not cool.

Basically, if you draw a circle around each freetown and your capital.  Then you make the circles bigger and bigger, until the whole map is covered at least by one circle.  This is the size of the world atm.

GB clan is fighting a war against Spain, later they teleport to fight a war against Dutch, then they teleport to fight against pirates.

You can even cap a trader, and teleport your ship to the next battle location.

VS

You have to cooperate with clans, define who is defending and what.  You cannot be in every possible place at the same time.

If you go to wage war against Spain, you know that your back is not guarded, or you have to trust in your allies/countrymen.

What you're describing as the negative of the new, no-cooldown teleport actually sounds like it creates a lot more PVP, because, as you demonstrate, it allows people to go directly where the action is, rather than punishing them for guessing wrong and then basically being unable to participate for the rest of the day.

And let's remember, you can still only be in one place at once... to a certain extent, the ability to teleport without cooldown could actually result in a greater possibility of creating gaps in defense, because now "everyone" can TP to defend in one location, possibly leaving less or none to defend elsewhere. Whereas in the past, some people might have hung around because they wouldn't have had the opportunity to TP (as perhaps they'd already used it to get to the area).

Once people get stuck into a fight, the battle timer limits how many more can join... so there are real interesting possibilities to take advantage of now, that mobility around the map has been made much easier.

But all of it, in my view, leads to far more opportunities for PVP and far smaller chance of sailing aimlessly for hours looking for someone to fight, or realizing you made a mistake in where you'd TP'ed and now there was going to be nothing to do except maybe fight some AI or log off.

TL;DR: removing teleport cooldown + smuggler flag has been a huge boon for this game and its gameplay experience, IMHO.

• Like 1

seem to me you have very little experience about pvp, you had 1 vs 1 fight that means your enemy stay with you, moving around you and fight

now try to imagine when you are not able to slow down your enemy cause no demast and 70% of sail means he still so fast as you, that is quite different

I stated most of our balls even from close range simply bounce off from the Bellona, before the patch in a similar situation I was able to get at least 20 hits with a full broadside, now its only 4-8.

That is far away from reality.

Well, I am talking about a bad damage system and you are talking about players learning...  here you can also find a little bit difference

now we all know you like this new system, who knows maybe you are alone but for sure we do not need your advice how to fight in a pvp as we do it almost every night in the last 3-4 months, and we state the current system kills os pvp! you can read the posts here other players also state this

do not forget who will be your enemy in your dream os

Yes a Bellona that is not dismasted is totally as fast as Connstitutions and Igermanlands, and there is no way on catching up to it. Your statement that you can only pen 4 shots per broadside at close range totally nullifies the fact that for some reason i can penetrate 20-24 shots per broadside. I have no skill in PVP whatsoever in comparison to MVP's like you and your friends and i want to be like you.

P.S developers please take into consideration what players are against the new system and what arguments they present.

Transaction time for starters.  If my faction has 50 ports I can sail next door and conduct business.  If I have one then time, risk, and opportunity are dramatically increased without this option.  I've experienced both sides of this in the last month and it's a fact.

I have to disagree here a bit.  It makes it easier and faster to just teleport, agreed, but I think sailing should be part of the game.  This is anyway a PvP server.

What you're describing as the negative of the new, no-cooldown teleport actually sounds like it creates a lot more PVP, because, as you demonstrate, it allows people to go directly where the action is, rather than punishing them for guessing wrong and then basically being unable to participate for the rest of the day.

And let's remember, you can still only be in one place at once... to a certain extent, the ability to teleport without cooldown could actually result in a greater possibility of creating gaps in defense, because now "everyone" can TP to defend in one location, possibly leaving less or none to defend elsewhere. Whereas in the past, some people might have hung around because they wouldn't have had the opportunity to TP (as perhaps they'd already used it to get to the area).

Once people get stuck into a fight, the battle timer limits how many more can join... so there are real interesting possibilities to take advantage of now, that mobility around the map has been made much easier.

But all of it, in my view, leads to far more opportunities for PVP and far smaller chance of sailing aimlessly for hours looking for someone to fight, or realizing you made a mistake in where you'd TP'ed and now there was going to be nothing to do except maybe fight some AI or log off.

TL;DR: removing teleport cooldown + smuggler flag has been a huge boon for this game and its gameplay experience, IMHO.

Smuggling was good.

Removing Sailing was not.

I see sailing as a part of the game, it is part of battle already.  People want to skip sailing, and just instant cannon fire.

Maybe we should have battle locations on map?  Then you just click the battle, select your ship, and teleport in the battle.  Will increase PVP?   So must be good, right?

edit.  Maybe the OW should be removed.  Just battles, increase PvP?

edit2.

I start my voyage to location A.  Now there is decreased change that I will see an enemy ship.  Because people are just teleporting.

If I see someone and I attack this someone, there is increased change that other players will teleport and zerg me.  If not in the initial fight, but at least they have been teleported to this location after I exit the battle.

Edited by Cmdr RideZ
  • Like 1

I have to disagree here a bit.  It makes it easier and faster to just teleport, agreed, but I think sailing should be part of the game.  This is anyway a PvP server.

I see your point, and I agree that sailing should be part of the game.  I know some others want to just go battle to battle since that's the ultimate pvp, and that's fine I guess.  But like you, Commander, I want to do both.  Unfortunately, these things are both hampered quite a bit when you have a single port.  Maybe they should be hampered if you are down, but the gameplay should be compensated for and not impossible, so that you may live on to play another day.  So... in the current game configuration I guess I would say the instant teleport is good because it aids the fallen nations, while in the end game configuration you might be right and at that point it may have no place.

Gameplay was fine 2 patch ago, before armor patch,  damage-distance and demast was FINE.          Realism not means better game,    otherwise we need to ram each other and sink each other becouse even a brig ramming a frig at full speed it will make both ships sinking.

IS a game, ramming happens a lot here,  current dmg system, not provide any option for a smaller fleet to kill a bigger fleet, becouse you cant demast,  reducing sails not slow down enought the enemy,   shoot at distance not cause any dmg.

Forcing frigs to do damage vs rates  with new system =  volley from sol, leaks and instadeath.  before they could play around, use their heeling for reduce sails-demast and use their manouverability for  kill a bigger target.  IT give also sense that sols should needed to go around escorted. for avoid being kited.

Now? you cant apply any of this tactics, is purely 200 mt or less bashing each other, so even line fight not have anymore much sense since a line need distance and space for focusing a target and at that distance you not cause any dmg,  boarding and brawling is the only way, or you spend 1h and half sinking at maximum some frigs.

2 day ago my clan with  6 inger 1 conny 1 rattelsnake, engaged an usa fleet composed by 1 pavel 3 bellona 2-3 conny 2 trinco some frigs and some other smaller ships.        And  even brawling them at point blank range,  nor us or them manage to sink any of the bigger ships,    not even the trinco. the damage is not enought and the tools for slow down a ship are also not enought we literally got 11k+ hits on sails of bellona reducing them to 60% sails and not got a single demast.

IS NOT FUNNY , in a pb i can simply sail around avoiding the fight and always manage to get a win since enemy will not have enought br. 

The new armor syste,  reduced the dps by a good 80% if not more    making all battles long and boring,   there is only 1 way to win, brawl and board, anything else is pointless (line,demasting,sail hits , try do divide enemy is also useless the amount of dmg is soo low that ppl always manage to recover from their misplacement errors)

The new armor system also completely removed the shock from dmg/rig, since it not happen anymore unless you shotting a cerberus at 100mt from a santi 

Edited by Lord Vicious
  • Like 2

dont shoot masts - use chain or shoot masts from very close distance

previously people were playing happy click click mast heroes from 1km from any vessel

forget that tactic existed - we don't want it in game

You need to play your game way more,  11k hits from 6 ingermanland shooting 3 bellonas at 200mt TOP for 1h+ , sometimes we sandwitch a bellona literally scratiching each other sides III , NOT A SINGLE DEMAST.  

• Like 1