Game-Labs Forum

Patch 9.7 - Land sighted

admin

Port battles mechanics have a lot of posts on the forums (incl alliances and wars etc) 

Yet

Over the last month 800 people participated in the port battles out of 20,000 players who logged even once.

Yes. Thats why (I think) that you guys should favorite larger engagements at open sea. PBs are almost for hardcore gamers only.

Ok..... Admins....   I hope your tweaking the experience only till the wipe becuase what you did is extremely wrong.  I have members in my clan that went from post captain to Commodore with this patch....making everyone an admiral and nerfing the rank grind is not giving players enough time in each rank to learn how to sail, shoot and manuever in the different level ships in this game and those of us who actually worked to get our ranks ......  just well salty at what you've done. 

Just because you've hit a rank, doesn't mean you must (or even can, now that they're harder to get) instantly rush out and get the largest ship possible.

If you consider it "work", then you're doing it wrong. It's a game. It's play. It should be the polar opposite of "work".

• Like 1

1. Well if somone dosen't know how to manuver his ship and shoot that that's hes problem, don't make it everyones else.

2. I undestand that your salty because your in game rank lost some prestige and I get it.

3. Making it a "Korean MMO grind fest" isn't helping either.

4. I also thought about adding a rank between post captain and flag captain specifically for 4th rates.

First, I have been an Admiral for a long time..months. Second I'm not that salty about it and not for your reasoning.  Third my Prestige isn't in my rank its my reputation as a player and fleet leader.   I'm salty cause its gonna cause game issues, make it too easy, etc.  The grind was not that hard.  I played WOT, WOW and that made this look like nothing.   The grind is not hard at all and isn't anything like a Korean Grinding game..so get a grip.   Again, I have several people in my Fleet jump from Post to Commodore...think about that?  they jumped 2 ranks up.     A little much.  They need to add a Vice Admiral and put a pure Captain rank in the mix to include Post Captain, Flag Captain and just Captain to fill the 4th rate rank and they need to not make the exp horribly difficult but they need to buff it.  I know the dev's are testing stuff and trying to make player base happy, but come on lets not sell the farm guys.

• Like 1

So, just how the f**k is one supposed to do solo missions at higher rank? Oh, wait, you are telling me to go and kill 2 constis or a 3rd rate with my Fir Reno equipped with copper plating?

Sorry, that is very narrow minded!

As the game is presently, you still have no problem enjoying your PVP though it will limit your group to 6 vs. 1 instead of 12 or more vs. 1

Is that really a problem?

And I do realize that it obliges you to pay more attention to sailing in a tightly formed pack in OW to achieve this but hey, isn't skill part of what you are after?

Or do you really get a kick by slaughtering someone sailing in a 3rd rate with your pack of 12~14 mates?

Sorry I still think that this patch is fantastic by introducing some limits into stupid and brainless ganking, though ganking isn't the right word, may we say ridiculously unfair fights?

No I'm telling you to look around before you enter that mission.   2 min timer means if there is nothing in your visible range then nothing can join your mission.  Situational awareness. L2P

I have only once been in a group of 6 in this game.  Mostly play solo or with one other.  This patch is great for me.  Terrible for group pvp.  It does nothing to stop ganking. In fact it makes small boat ganking way easier.  All it does is split groups. 

Sailing around in a tight pack means :

• Everyone in your group in the same boat
  • or not being bale to spread out to capture someone running
  • or sailing as slow as your slowest boat meaning lots of missed targets

When sailing on the OS takes an hour to get anywhere missing your one chance at a target is pretty boring.

Sinking the 3rd rate:

• With the current 1.5 br difference change.  3rd = 500 br    10x snow = 500 BR.  You will still be ganked yet no one can help you now.
  • With previous system and a NPC captured 3rd.  removing a asset from a broken mechanic form game = Win,
  • With previous system and a player crafted 3rd.  Removing an asset from an enemy nation.  Creating economic warfare. RvR = Win

If you are getting ganked you have no one to blame but yourself.  Ganking and avoiding ganks take skill. Hardly brainless.  

Unfair fights?  Dont put yourself in that position if it bothers you.

Just because you've hit a rank, doesn't mean you must (or even can, now that they're harder to get) instantly rush out and get the largest ship possible.

If you consider it "work", then you're doing it wrong. It's a game. It's play. It should be the polar opposite of "work".

I enjoyed the grind from Rank to Rank.  It wasn't work, it was a goal to push to next.  You speed from Lt to Admiral in a week.  That is my point.  If you consider grinding work..you need to go play tetris.  You should try to level cause you enjoy playing the game is my point.

I enjoyed the grind from Rank to Rank.  It wasn't work, it was a goal to push to next.  You speed from Lt to Admiral in a week.  That is my point.  If you consider grinding work..you need to go play tetris.  You should try to level cause you enjoy playing the game is my point.

But the only effective way to level is to run those execrable missions ad nauseum.

If you enjoy the missions, you should quit the game and perform some other repetitive, useful task like laying bricks or weeding a garden.

Admin can you please comment my post, regarding the battle preparation / cannons one page earlier?

Pretty sure that admin knows naval guns were always loaded ahead of time. It's just an artificial constraint to prevent the battle from beginning too soon.

• Like 2

Great patch devs! I didn't expect to see land in battles so soon after first reading it.

I can see where a lot of the concerns are comming from with all these changes but lets test it and give our feedback then.

Can't wait to take out my Trinco to look for a battle near land once the hotfix is through.

• Like 1

If you enjoy the missions, you should quit the game and perform some other repetitive, useful task like laying bricks or weeding a garden.

This. I did not enjoy being stuck in a NavyBrig while everyone around playing with useful ships. I did not enjoy fighting repetitive missions filled with repetitive stupid AIs for hours (+ their stats are garbage).

It was almost like doing some boring work and i am not even paid for it and i bought this game.

Now i can enjoy the content of the game, i can finally play, i feel free and liberated from the tiresome grinding. I do not need the bigger ship, i just need to have the right to choose one useful that please me when needed to have some fun.

Hopefully this is early access. Buying a game to grind that way, "yeeee 30 min 200xp out of 10 000". Nah, leave it to free mmos.

First, I have been an Admiral for a long time..months. Second I'm not that salty about it and not for your reasoning.  Third my Prestige isn't in my rank its my reputation as a player and fleet leader.   I'm salty cause its gonna cause game issues, make it too easy, etc.  The grind was not that hard.  I played WOT, WOW and that made this look like nothing.   The grind is not hard at all and isn't anything like a Korean Grinding game..so get a grip.   Again, I have several people in my Fleet jump from Post to Commodore...think about that?  they jumped 2 ranks up.     A little much.  They need to add a Vice Admiral and put a pure Captain rank in the mix to include Post Captain, Flag Captain and just Captain to fill the 4th rate rank and they need to not make the exp horribly difficult but they need to buff it.  I know the dev's are testing stuff and trying to make player base happy, but come on lets not sell the farm guys.

IF you played WoT and WoW you will know quite well that those that refuse to learn cant be helped even if they are forced to sit at low ranks for an eternity. Heck playing a tier 10 game in WoT still gives me cancer after all this time watching how far human stupidity can reach out, however in this game they are going the right way of making it a player driven economy were your bad game-play will make you loose stuff that you worked hard for, so maybe that will make people learn how to play better :) Personally was still slacking at Flag Captain yesterday but never paid to much attention to my rank, and really don't give a damn if its faster or slower to gain.

But one thing is for certain.... you need to fix that bloody typo in your forum tag, i was so shocked to see a British player typing Vangaurd instead of Vanguard that i forgot to raise my pinky while drinking tea this morning.  

Right i get that but with a 2 min battle timer limiting how far away people can sail i still think its silly.

If a group of guys set up some prize sitting alone in the water and have 5 more guys hiding behind an island under 2 mins away, i think they deserve to smash whatever they catch.

its not the problem with hiding behind the island. its the problems hiding in the battle screen with an 2nd account player scouting for them and then jump with 12 ships into a battle against one. this happens over and over again. 

• Like 3

Port battles mechanics have a lot of posts on the forums (incl alliances and wars etc) 

Yet

Over the last month 800 people participated in the port battles out of 20,000 players who logged even once.

yes and i played a lot of them... but at some point they become borring as fuck atm... because its always the same tactic and a lot of waiting in the harbor till the defend or attack window starts...

but the problem is that you, the devs, should focus on a motivating system for player who achieved the last rank. every player needs a little carrot in the end that is swinging in front of his nose for motiviation... so please focus on the officer/crew lvl system BEFORE diplmatic and portbattle mechanics... otherwise u will lose a lot of player who get borred when they reach the last rank.... and because of the latest patch a lot of people already reached rear admiral.... i give them 2 weeks till they realize that there is not much fun left...

Sailing around in a tight pack means :

• Everyone in your group in the same boat
  • or not being bale to spread out to capture someone running
  • or sailing as slow as your slowest boat meaning lots of missed targets

This is exactly how it should be. The idea that groups should be able to bring along super-flimsy, super-fast ships to race ahead and "pin" players in instances while their heavy ships sail up behind and hop in at leisure is incredibly stupid and unbalanced. If you want to fight as a group, sail as a group. If you want to spread out to cast a wide net, or use min-max ships in your group to make sure no one can ever escape, then accept the consequences.

Sinking the 3rd rate:

• [*]With the current 1.5 br difference change.  3rd = 500 br    10x snow = 500 BR.  You will still be ganked yet no one can help you now.

Well, BR system will be broken until it includes a numbers modifier.

its not the problem with hiding behind the island. its the problems hiding in the battle screen with an 2nd account player scouting for them and then jump with 12 ships into a battle against one. this happens over and over again. 

This should be actually fixed by fixing the post-battle camping and invisibility rather than coming up with workarounds to threat the symptoms.

• Like 1

1. You're going to hit Flag Captain rank pretty soon, if you haven't already.  That's where the XP/gold grind gets easier.  However, for it to get easier, you need a 3rd rate.  Which will be expensive as all hell with these changes.  Also, people will go around ganking 3rd rates doing missions like they're Victories, because 3rd rates will now be hard to get.

2. Want to engage in port battles?  Too bad!

3. Want an exceptional Renommee, Surprise, or Trinc?  Too bad - vendor trash for you!  The crafters are making 3rd rates+ or components for them, because why waste hours on ships that they won't be making money on.

1) I think they also changed the mission system substantially, which will make missions a lot more fun and a lot more group-friendly. Let's wait and see how the whole balancing works.

2) Constitutions can join port battles. I think eliminating free 3rd rates means people will need to put real skin in the game for port battles, and the like. If you are saying port battles should be massive payouts in terms of gold and exp and completely risk-free, then I humbly disagree.

3) Nonsense! If anything, I believe this increases the value of frigates because ships of the line become far more scarce. Which by the way, they should be. Shoot, if nothing else, look me up. I'll craft you a gold frigate. 

You have a point in that it was not so long if you are really devote to do it. But I think you realize it was utterly boring given the very limited options to reach it until this patch... fleeting or beating repeatedly one same mision (that was basically fleeting too)

Edited by Eishen

This is exactly how it should be. The idea that groups should be able to bring along super-flimsy, super-fast ships to race ahead and "pin" players in instances while their heavy ships sail up behind and hop in at leisure is incredibly stupid and unbalanced. If you want to fight as a group, sail as a group. If you want to spread out to cast a wide net, or use min-max ships in your group to make sure no one can ever escape, then accept the consequences.

Ideally yes i completely agree.  However there are already a ton of game mechanics that allow people to avoid any fights they dont want.

The amount of "fair" pvp going on is probably i would guess 5%.   There just aren't that many fights to be had on such a huge map with everyone so spread out.   Any fight you can find is a good fight.

I still dont see the problem that this change addresses.  Ganking is not a problem in this game if you know how to avoid it.

I have never sailed a Trinc.  I have only sailed a Renn once.  I have only been successfully ganked maybe 3 times and i chalk all of the up to me messing up on some level.

Ganks aren't a problem.  This change will not end ganks.  All this change does is split groups which is bad for a multiplayer game.

I dont see any reason to implement it.

IF you played WoT and WoW you will know quite well that those that refuse to learn cant be helped even if they are forced to sit at low ranks for an eternity. Heck playing a tier 10 game in WoT still gives me cancer after all this time watching how far human stupidity can reach out, however in this game they are going the right way of making it a player driven economy were your bad game-play will make you loose stuff that you worked hard for, so maybe that will make people learn how to play better :) Personally was still slacking at Flag Captain yesterday but never paid to much attention to my rank, and really don't give a damn if its faster or slower to gain.

But one thing is for certain.... you need to fix that bloody typo in your forum tag, i was so shocked to see a British player typing Vangaurd instead of Vanguard that i forgot to raise my pinky while drinking tea this morning.  

LoL, never noticed it thank you