Game-Labs Forum

Ship crafting restricted for every nation

Nice eriks.

Moreover, it´d allow the grinder and hardcore players to play on 2 servers,

matching their needs to be online.

Just making 2 games out of one.

But I guess, the devs have plans for this in stock.

Counter-attacking the argument (not enough ships, new ships needed), I´d loved a game start with really few, few ships

being available and develop first the "game", then add ships one after the next over a couple of years linking it to

a DLC selling-policy with good content.

Edited by Wilson09

Instead of "bashing" me, you could come up with precise information.

So, the Brits used ships from the French line?

I thought I pointed that out in my earlier post.

The British routinely built ships according to French designs, and occasionally even hired French designers. That already includes two of the ships we have in-game. We're also likely to get a Danish SoL, of which that the British built an entire class of near copies.

But aside from this, there was nothing preventing nations from using foreign designs and practices, as the technology was the same. The great Swedish designer Chapman simply roamed the continent collecting the best of what he saw, and other Scandinavian naval architects similarly spent time apprenticing throughout Europe.

More importantly, few of the game's vessels are sufficiently unique to be restricted to one nation. There's almost nothing Russian about Mercury; it's just an armed brig. The ability to customize each ship considerably also goes to show that these aren't super special national snowflakes but variations on a vaguely-defined class. Every nation had ships incredibly similar to Cerberus, Trincomalee, Bellona, etc.

Such a restriction is possible for the future i think, but the ship pool needs to be way bigger than it currently is for it to work.

If we get to this point, it would be kinda nice i think. You could still get any ship, your nation just has to cap it from the enemy.

I don't mind the OP's idea as long as every ship stat is the same and no ship is harder to build then any other special ship.

1. Idea's like this kill PVP when people are afraid to take there ships out to PVP. Ships should be disposable not treasured otherwise it ruins the game. Basically ships must be thought of as toilet paper not dollar bills.  

2. Balancing ships is a waste of effort. Some will always be better than others. The OP just assumed balancing was possible when in-fact that will probably not be the case. If you want to be special then give them a special look however all ship stats should be exactly same. i.e., regardless of the nation all their 1st rates should all perform/shoot/sail exactly the same.

Not until they have enough ships for reach nation

Half of british ships of the line at the end of Napoleonic wars were french/spanish built.

Ships are very resource intensive. If the goal is to have at least 30-40 unique vessels in game - national requirement will force us to make 280 unique vessels

• Like 1

Half of british ships of the line at the end of Napoleonic wars were french/spanish built.

Ships are very resource intensive. If the goal is to have at least 30-40 unique vessels in game - national requirement will force us to make 280 unique vessels

Many thanks for replying. I understand more and more what this game is about, the limitations and so on.

I can only say what I like and want, respecting that I might be the minority and/or you have different ideas.

Asumme, technical reasons restrict us to (30-) 40 unique ships, you can still think of 4 unique ships per faction

(4x8=32) + and 8 common ships available for all.

In an open sandbox it gives additional incentives to "cap" AI fleets and player-ships from different factions.

In games with a finite end and reset and replay, it certainly increases the desire to replay and play another faction.

Players want to stick around longer.

Pesonally, I don´t need the craft/XP grind, would favour just to sail around on a Privateer to look out for that

special Swedish 6th rate ship I don´t have. And what I experience, players are very well driven to get this

"extra" Essex / Santissima...but the Essex I can get easily, I can buy it right now for 800k.

I´d prefer to cap it.

Playing Pirates, many players asking me if I could "sell" them a Pirate frigate, just to complete their shipyard.

Human beings are "collectors" + "hunters".

And finally, overall, FINALLY, I CAN ALWAYS AND ONLY SAIL 1 SHIP !

No matter, how many I have, I need only 1´! ship to play....

Besides the historical argumenting (I started with), just thinking of incentives / gameplay,

might it be an idea, just say, assign Mercury to 2 factions, NavyBrig to another two and the Snow

to another two? Brig for all. Just brainstorming...(same reasoning for higher classes)

Edited by Wilson09

I like the idea of each nation being able to only build certain ship, but the current game is just too limited to make this happen. It's just not possible and will make certain nations lack any ability to fight.

I've been of the opinion that when the game gets fleshed out more it would be nice the have each nation have their "own" 1st rate. Granted this contradicts my earlier statement, but could give each nation the flavor you seem to want without having to wait for it too long.

1-2?

Yes, true.

You are right.

Also works well, being enough of an "incentive" to go PvP and cap....there are already unique ships,

you don´t need for all.

Like US Constitution or Essex or Lynx...unique US and not all need it....

saw any player on a Lynx recently?

Edited by Wilson09

ADMIN wrote:

We could do it closer to release

It is indeed a shame. But until rank requires you to sail certain ships it is hard to achieve, people will choose ships that let you perform better at sea skipping all others. We do not have ideas yet on how to do it without "forced by design"

The number of frigates actually can support national ships somewhat to an extent

(for example - constitution is US only, trincomalee is british/french only, etc)

Love you for this post ADMIN !!!!

You don´t need to add more and more and more ships to add the "extra" incentive

for making ships "unique". Restrict them for nations...

Edited by Wilson09

I think limiting certain ships would be good, especially ships that are particularly unique, such as the Constitution, Victory, Santisima, Essex, Reno, Surprise etc. Things that are examples of generic vessels, such as the Trincomalee, Mercury, Cerberus, rated vessels, etc could be available to all.

It'd certainly add flavor to the nations. More importantly it would make the game more exciting and add replay value.

• Like 2

Ahoy Ye Sailors

I agree that each nation should have its own ships and that they alone are able to craft them from the start on out.

I also agree that the pirate/s "nation" should not be able to craft any of the ships in the game unless a couple of aspects are first met.

Now being a pirate me self, I would like to see that the pirate/s "nation" [which they should not be] are only able to build / craft the pirate version of any or most of the ships, that are now currently found in the game or would be found later in the game.

That at the official start of the game each nation start off with their own smaller coastal ships only to set things in motion, i.e. no other class ship be available for crating as yet, until such time that certain aspects or conditions are met, and that those who like ship building kick start the economy by putting the various ships up for sale at the respective ports, i.e. the capitol City / Town of each nation, Pirate or Free port.

This would, if at all possible and most things are possible, have each nation start off with their small coastal ships and have each nations ship builders kick off the economy regarding the initial availability of ships in the beginning.

Now some of you may not find this very much agreeable, but spare a thought first before you condemn it.

For say the British nation who wishes to expand their influence, would sail with the ships of their nation and set out to go and capture, let say a Dutch port. [now who says all those ships they have set out with, will return as some of it may be capped by the opposing nation]

Now why would they want to go and capture that or any other port for that matter, is it because of the resources that would become available for use in the crafting of any and all items in the game or just so they, as nation can have the bragging rights of having the most towns under their control, or would it be because in that Dutch town they are constructing the Flute, a ship well renowned for its capability to transport vast amounts of cargo over any distance safely and that after the capturing of the port they gain the ability to build such vessel or vessels they may find in the port at that time and have control over the resources the town provides, which is needed for their empire to expand and which they need to keep on to should they wish to continue to use those resources, as it might be lost in the next "Port Battle".

That the Spanish captain looking to obtain the Sturdy Frigate or Fast Renomee would sail into enemy waters and capture said vessel/s and then would with the current options of sending it to the admiralty or port have those ships become either available to his nation, i.e. it will now appear in the ship buildings list of what can be crafted by players depending on the ship builders / players crafting level and or he re-engineers the ship, possibly making use of the break down option or even a newly added option, which will provide him with the building plans for sure or at an random chance, i.e. has to sail again and capture another before getting the building plans.

That the Danish sailor who would venture out into or close to the pirate infested waters to hunt down that "pirate" version of the Trincomalee, which has more crew / bigger cannons / and better what not's and such [here the mind can wander to hearts content, as when a pirate refits any ship, ye bet its gonna be better than the original model], as when he sends that ship back to the admiralty, his nation will now have those "pirated" out fittings available for crafting in their ship yards or he will re-engineer the ship so that he may either for sure obtain the ability himself or again by chance gain it and he therefore can now build a vessel with those pirated abilities added to their nations ships and put it up for sale in the town, so that he may become even more richer that what he already is and or that his nation ships have the ability to have their corvette ships be able to enter into shallow waters areas to contend for ports.

That those different abilities each ship would or could have, either being a National Ship or Pirate Outfitted Ship also be put under the current system of Common - Green / Fine - Blue / Master Craft - Purple / Exceptional - Gold, which will make for more variety to be available in the crafting of things from the beginning and or even later on as the development of it continues.

Most off all that we who play this game have a reason to sail to port so and so, to go and capture it and that we need to build up the towns economy attracting more off our nations sailors to it, to safe guard it, as the resources there are needed to build / craft stuff with and if we loose that port we loose the ability let say to craft "High Grade" notes a mile a minute which will most surely have an effect on the economy in the game itself and each nations ability to become so over powering that none can contend with them.

That all ships and or their pirated / nation specific outfitted version, be able to be sailed by everyone, as that's why we play sailing games in the first place and that we have the ability to either add to the current Build In options, or have already build in options be activated so that there is more variety to choose form when creating player crafted ships.

That the "NPC" / "AI" ships be more historical correct if need be and be capture able by all for use to sail in or to break down to obtain materials needed for crafting and such.

Yours truly

Sir Oliver Tressillian

May yer anchor be tight, yer cork be loose, yer rum be spiced, yer compass be true and may yer guns be loaded for the problem is not the problem, the problem is yer attitude about the problem.

• Like 1