Game-Labs Forum

Patch 9.65 - Crew and resource production

admin

Have you tried attacking and boarding a player and capturing it in under 5 minutes? Its exceptionally hard, they dont make the same stupid mistakes AI do.

Capping a player in under 5 minutes would require an exceptionally stupid opponent.

You want more historical accuracy, yet you propose that someone under attack should be able to recieve backup from ports, which in real life, would be days away.

The timer is a stand in for the fact that the map isnt realistically large, it only takes real life hours to sail from one side to the other, when in reality it would take days.

of which there are plenty. means one should chose better engagements and go for better tags instead of oh look i have a fast reno/trinco and will just run almost anyone down. At this point the game is designed purely around ganking and not actual pvp. Case in point Missions: only enemies can enter. Shortened timers - takes over 2 minutes to sail any fucking where so again, advantage to gankers. Well intentioned poorly thought through and terribly implemented mechanics that do nothing for individuals who want to pvp but do plenty for the troll who wants to gank noobs, be able to run from equal fights.

Edited by Dalriaden
  • Like 1

Well intentioned poorly thought through and terribly implemented mechanics that do nothing for individuals who want to pvp and not just gank.

But you're arguing that you want more historical accuracy, when in fact most captians of the era WERE what you would call a ganker! :D

They patroled up and down areas given to them by the Admiralty and sought to raid traders who couldnt shoot back and try to capture enemy warships they thought they could take on. If they saw something bigger than what they thought they could handle, they turned tail and got out of there.

Edited by Tindahbawx
  • Like 4

The AI reinforcement should be removed or you should have to pay for them.

I Hope that that will change when land in battles come, where instead of ai reinforcements we might get the forts instead, i certainly hope so as AI reinforcements are really annoying.

of which there are plenty. means one should chose better engagements and go for better tags instead of oh look i have a fast reno/trinco and will just run almost anyone down. At this point the game is designed purely around ganking and not actual pvp. Case in point Missions: only enemies can enter. Shortened timers - takes over 2 minutes to sail any fucking where so again, advantage to gankers. Well intentioned poorly thought through and terribly implemented mechanics that do nothing for individuals who want to pvp and not just gank.

Err, no.  It also benefits more fair fights.  We used to have 10 minute timers.  People could come from hundreds of miles away to join the fight.  The result was the biggest group in the area got to win with overwhelming numbers.  So we went to 5 minute timers.  Now, you had to be a lot closer to aid a friend, but you could still come from well over the horizon to join a battle.  Again, the result was the biggest group in the area got to apply overwhelming numbers.

Now, timers are 2 minutes.  This means you need to be nearly in sight of a battle starting to enter it.  This is a good thing. This means if you want to "gank" with overwhelming numbers, you have to sail fairly close together - identifying your group and its numbers to everyone in the immediate area.  Those people now can counter tag, run, etc. well knowing what the fight will look like.  Similarly, if I'm out solo trying to find targets, and I see someone sailing all by themselves, I can take a quick look around and understand immediately what the likely odds will be.  I can attack in confidence that the person I attacked isn't going to call in 20 friends from all over the Antilles to help them out.  This makes for far more fair fights and understandable risks.

Yes, you can't get reinforcements from hundreds of miles away, but neither can they.  If you want to fight with a bunch of friends, you're going to have to stay relatively close to each other - just as in real life.  This is a great change.

• Like 11

heroic sacrifices from our QA J?????

QAJ? I know what Q&A is but QAJ, is this a typo or I'm just an old guy?

The J is actually the shortcut for an emoticon; I'm not sure why it's not showing the emoticon correctly on your screen. I see "QA" followed immediately by a smiley face.  :)

I just got a 3rd rate BP on my first Crafted Trinc since update. I have crated about 10 Trincs to date and today i get the BP. and another guys mentional getting a pavel + santisima in 1 go? is the BP drop rate too high now?

10a2573d4c4f5d482a91152848bb5f65.gif

I think it's weighted by level now?

Not sure when Niagara spawns.

Lvl 15 and 35 for higher level crafting notes feels very excessive...

I don't agree with this change at all. The problem isn't low rewards from winning. The problem is abysmal rewards from not winning.

l0Hpdz6.png

Oh you did 1300 damage to a trinc. Here's 63 exp.

look, you did 733 damage to Bellona. Here's 600 exp.

The reward for damage is basically non-existant now. Only sinkings count. If you lose, you get nothing. I don't see how this is supposed to make for a lively PVP environment. You're just turning winners into bigger winners and losers become quitters.

Not a fan of spending 1100k for a level 3 shipyard. That is QUITE a grind tax on crafting.

Is this really all that was added? A huge money sink to build ships? Any sort of relaxation on the labour laws? I mean if I am running a shipyard, I am not running anything else because all the labour must go into ships. Is it still one pool that drains everything?

Please make ship building fun. I am reduced to one click a day.

man that sucks  make pvp less enjoyable ......and if pvp is what they wanted they are now going the wrong way about.....

• Like 1

ship quality and level are kind of attached to each others right?

you can build a gray surprise at level 20 but you have to wait level 24 for a gold.

my understanding was that the chance to drop was increased with your craft level...like before today i hadn't got any drops and I'm craft level 20. It seems silly that i can build exceptional cerbs but not a pickle?

To the Admins (game breaking)

Something is clearly not right in the next picture (hearing from multiple sources)

i9RtDTd.jpg

Gradient system the higher ships u manufacture to get the Blueprints is necessary

wow nice ...and bad at the same time.

• Like 1

my understanding was that the chance to drop was increased with your craft level...like before today i hadn't got any drops and I'm craft level 20. It seems silly that i can build exceptional cerbs but not a pickle?

How many Cutters have you crafted since the patch?

Trading and crafting

• Resource production buildings added – buildings can be built only in national towns
  • Ship construction building added – shipyard – shipyards can be built in all towns which you can enter

Discuss

I remember in the production buildings discussion you mentioned implementing a production bonus for specializing in one type of building.  Did that change make it into this patch?  Is there ANY benefit to labor hours by building 5 of the same building type?

Does building multiple buildings do anything to generate more labor?

man that sucks  make pvp less enjoyable ......and if pvp is what they wanted they are now going the wrong way about.....

those rewards are much higher than they were before and those are pvp rewards

l0Hpdz6.png

Oh you did 1300 damage to a trinc. Here's 63 exp.

look, you did 733 damage to Bellona. Here's 600 exp.

You would get 2x less in PVE 

AND why admiralty should reward you if you let enemy go? You want free xp for just showing up maybe?

You assisted on the Bellona and 2 belle poules - the rest did not sink. You got almost 1100 xp from that battle which is almost 2x more than before

• Like 1

To the Admins (game breaking)

Something is clearly not right in the next picture (hearing from multiple sources)

i9RtDTd.jpg

Gradient system the higher ships u manufacture to get the Blueprints is necessary

Blueprint learning chances were increased significantly if you are (based on player feedback)

1) higher level in crafting

2) craft an exceptional ship

Because blueprints won't be saved during potential resets (only crafting level) its not a problem. 

• Like 2

You don't seem to get the part about the players deciding what resource will be made in each port.  The Dutch can have live oak in every port if they want.

Care to quote/link, where you found that info ?

besides who would make that decision ? There is no such thing as a Dutch king or government or whatever authority, at least not on PvE server, so who would decide which ressources a town can produce ?

Crew management looks nice and will prevent people sailing undercrewed ships.

Not sure about the rest of the new stuff. Player controlled resources wouldn't be a big deal if player base wasn't already going down. And will only benefit big factions which have enough players, so part of them are doing pure trading gameplay, which is enormously time consuming.

NA isn't really a casual friendly game mate... Like any real open world sand box mmo game...

Great them, bump all casual players away from the game so we can be even less players
  • Like 1

AND why admiralty should reward you if you let enemy go? You want free xp for just showing up maybe?

You assisted on the Bellona and 2 belle poules - the rest did not sink. You got almost 1100 xp from that battle which is almost 2x more than before

Difference is you are unlikely to sink in PvE. In PvP 90% of fights are ganks, no doubts about that, in the 50+ fights i had in pvp there where like

2 or 3 where numbers where halfway equal (including a 1vs1). The guys that are constantly getting ganked will leave the game, i am pretty hardcore but

if i loose all my pvp ships and don't have the money to buy a new ship i am gone too. There has to be some expense for fighting outnumbered or make ganks

less attractive by reducing xp and gold depending on br-difference.

And pls reduce outpost to outpost-teleport cooldowns as this drives many pvp-players away.

"any pvp near plymouth?"

"sry mate just ported back to willemstad"

"ok maybe tomorrow, n8"

Edited by Otsego
  • Like 2

I hate to be that guy...but:

For the love of god why, people already borderline exploit the timer. I dont particularly care about PVE although its going to suck if your group is split up but the timer needs to be removed completely in pvp battles it has no place in the game. Imagine sailing across the open sea hearing cannons and right when you arrive to assist your fleet some invisible walls stops nelson in his tracks saying battle closed. -.-

Other then that looks brilliant.

Your reasoning would be correct if you weren't sailing around in OW on an accelerated timer

Removing NPC resource production without giving us more labor time per real time hour.

There are probably tons of players sitting on unused hours every day.  Hopefully this will bring more people in on the supply side.

You want a PVP game or you want a PVE grinding game with a little bit of PVP sprinkled on top?

if losers have to grind their losses back in PVE, you'll have a 99% PVE game on the PVP server.

This favors ganking as the one true way to PVP. 1 guy gets a big kill bonus, the other 5 get an assist bonus and one guy loses a ship and gets nothing.

We both know the name of the game that went that route before.

It's a great patch on many aspects. But especially with the PVP reward I feel like you're taking the completely wrong direction.

I also wonder if crafting third rates will become even more unattractive.

Edited by Quineloe
  • Like 1

You want a PVP game or you want a PVE grinding game with a little bit of PVP sprinkled on top?

if losers have to grind their losses back in PVE, you'll have a 99% PVE game on the PVP server.

This favors ganking as the one true way to PVP. 1 guy gets a big kill bonus, the other 5 get an assist bonus and one guy loses a ship and gets nothing.

We both know the name of the game that went that route before.

Solution: unbalanced BR ratio reduces / removes kill and assist XP for attackers and boosts damage XP for defenders.  Also, some sort of loss mitigation via surrender would help.

• Like 1