Game-Labs Forum

Bring Back Storm Maps!

Bring Back Storm Maps  

255 members have voted

1. 1. Should the devs bring back storm maps?

• Yes; just the way they were (exceptions for improvements).
    • Yes; but only after some changes.
    • No
  2. 2. If you voted yes, how much priority should be given to this?

• High Priority (devote resources to this asap after finishing the current works in progress)
    • Medium (if it requires significant work, get to it when you can)
    • Low (Keep it on the list, but it doesn't matter if it waits a year or so)

I would love to see storms return, as well as seeing OW weather conditions carried over to the battle instance. Nothing worse than being in a heavy sea and rain shower when entering battle, and then having clear skies and flat water in the instance.

There is lots of room for adding storms. One size wouldn't be the best improvement.

First off; instances should be linked to OW. If you choose not to fight in a storm then don't enter an instance when the weather is poor.

Next; there should be a big difference between a big storm and a hurricane. During a really nasty storm it would be a desperate fight just to keep the ship afloat. The crew would not be reloading/moving a cannon if the deck was pitching to a 70 degrees tilt.

And lastly; there could be areas where storms are very deadly. Bad weather should be more dangerous than combat.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/9529-open-world-storms/

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/7056-should-the-weather-cause-open-world-damage/

• Like 1

I would like to see the two storm maps re-introduced when actually tagging someone in a storm in open world, depending on how heavy the storm is. Also would love to see the heavy sea battle map that wasn't used during sea trials but was tested, to give a bit more variety than the calm battle map currently.

Heavy sea map... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN9VS-Uaq7Q

Edited by Grizwald
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is how I remember storm maps (not my vid) 

hectic...pretty sure I got capsised by a wave once....so much harder....almost never land a full broadside, you would easily get cut off from your mates.

I would love to see them sparingly back and associated to the local weather.

Not sure they would be universally appreciated....but I know  would appreciate them :)

• Like 3

Agreed....  Those would be fun maybe for the first few times....lol

That's just the thing, if they tie this to the open word weather, it would give players the choice of whether they want to engage in a storm fight or not. Would be quite an interesting spice up. Just dont make it so that you tag an enemy on a sunny day and end up in a storm battle :D 

• Like 1

Have the storms been silently banned from the game?

The devs have said it themselves: if you remove every feature that someone hates, then you get a bland, colorless game. Well, this is the epitome of that kind of feature.

i would like to see not only stormy weather but other effects too. like high waves from strong wind. you dont need to have the wind change anything in the game just make the swells bigger and have more swaying for the ships adds a new challenge to fights when you have to better time your shots and not just spam broad sides as they come up.

Honestly I think they're already doing that.  Sailing beam reach through a Tstorm at 100% sail, my ship was rolling ( <--- is that the right word?  leaning over with the wind) big time yesterday.

Edited by Jean Ribault

one of the best times i have ever had on a boat was in a storm. now granted this was an LHD but still hell of fun to be in a storm. so why cant i have that kind of fun in the game too.

YES i want to have my cake and eat it too

This isn't WoWs. Supposed to be more of a simulation, and in the real world, battles would very rarely ever take place during a storm. Captains would be more concerned with losing their ship to the rain, wind and swells than fighting. Good luck hitting a target with rudimentary cannon fire in storm swells. In fact, sailing ships would always seek anchorage in port when storms came if possible, or not leave port in the first place.

This isn't WoWs. Supposed to be more of a simulation, and in the real world, battles would very rarely ever take place during a storm. Captains would be more concerned with losing their ship to the rain, wind and swells than fighting. Good luck hitting a target with rudimentary cannon fire in storm swells. In fact, sailing ships would always seek anchorage in port when storms came if possible, or not leave port in the first place.

To be fair, the only part that really applies to the term "simulation" is the battle instance. As others have agreed, the wave physics in storms are one of the best demonstrations of that feat. The open world is more game, and less simulation, but it still ensures that storms are rare, and battles in them are rarer still.

Let the devs create all of the scenarios. The whole point of a simulation is to give you realistic choices. It's our jobs to choose if we want to risk fighting in a storm.

Btw, lol, have you tried hitting anything in a storm instance? You make it sound like the game makes it easy. I assure you, it's no WoWs.

• Like 2

Exactly.

When storms are coupled to the OW weather, then everybody can decide if he wants to fight in a storm.

But I'd like to see the other effects of stormy weather, like ships not being able to open their lower gun deck ports or masts breaking if you set too much sail....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...