Game-Labs Forum

I think admin/devs owe a lot of people an answer, put this issue to rest.

Another pirate thread.

This claim was made in another thread, simply put is it true?

Admin has stated that they cant radically alter the faction anymore. Too many would be unhappy.

Apparently that's not the same as repeatedly wiping our assets.

So yeah we're stuck with Brethren of the Coast 2.0, easy mode piracy full of Jack Sparrows.

It seems moot to post ideas as long as the status quo is here to stay

I did watch the stream this poster alludes to later on in the thread but don't remember admin/developers stating that pirates won't change.

I think it's time to put this issue to rest, in written form for all to see.

• Like 2

If admin/devs would be to go around forums making sure everyone is well informed, because they "owe" them - they would have no time to develop the game.

I would say it's the people who owe the developers to stay informed.

• Like 6

If admin/devs would be to go around forums making sure everyone is well informed, because they "owe" them - they would have no time to develop the game.

Typing a few sentences is not going to tie up an entire day. They certainly find time to respond to other less controversial issues with no problem.

I am simply asking for clarification, nothing more, nothing less.

As stated I watched the stream, missed this supposed statement by developers. I don't have another 2 hours to watch for 1, 15 second statement.

As far as who owes what to whom. The players do not owe the developers anything, the developers owe the players everything. Other wise the developers would not have a game.

Edited by Justme
  • Like 1

I believe they have put it to rest in another post, they said something along the lines of, Pirates is Slightly harder then any other faction, there is nothing easier about it, and its the only faction that pirates can attack eachothere.

Justme, what makes pirates easier then say, United States, in your opinion?

• Like 1

I am at work so I can't exactly search youtube right now but doesn't braincage upload all his stream highlights there? Should be easy to figure out if memory served me well.

Also if you read the dev admin posts in the huge pirate cote thread hs pretty much states the same thing. If we don't want pirate ports we should just capture them.

. That post is unbelievable. How do we stay informed if not by reading what they release in the first place? If there is no info coming out, we cant Inform ourselves.

As far as who owes what to whom. The players do not owe the developers anything, the developers owe the players everything. Other wise the developers would not have a game.

WOW, really???

You did read the Early Access agreement?

Is this your first Beta testing?

We owe each other not just the Devs.

It a community mindset not just me!

So please try to have some patience, for if you look at the stats on how many post are done in one day, then trying to verify an answer if there is a little doubt, for not all Forum Moderators are Devs.

If it was my project I would only give a Once a Week feedback.

But, yes I'm old school, because it works not just because it's old.

I still don't understand why Pirates aren't the free "faction" that they should be. Where they don't have a capital, they don't capture land, they just use free/neutral ports as bases anywhere they like and just be total jerks to the nationals like they are supposed to. Hell they could even enter national ports if they can make it inside without getting jumped. Then later down the line they can go to a national capital port, sign up as a privateer which has a one week lock that locks them out of all enemy national ports and flags them as Brit/French/US whatever, and they gain the ability to send to Admiralty and get a increase to prize income. Slap a reputation system on the nationals that lets pirates build reputation with them that makes them non-aggro if they gain enough.

I really really don't get why they aren't like this.

Pirates don't need to capture freaking ports, they were individuals, they should be whatever they want to be.

I'm no developer, but the idea is so freaking simple that I'm literally thinking this all up while taking a dump right now, sitting on the toilet, just throwing this down.

Come on guys, it's not hard.

EDIT: To add even more to this, change all current pirate ports to neutral and the more important ports to Free ports. Mortimer = Free port obviously.

EZ PZ LEMON SQUEEZY

Do it and I guarantee people will like it more than this current garbage. Yes I said garbage, it is garbage, making pirates a nation is garbage, it sucks, it makes 0 sense, change it. I know admin asked during the Q&A "What would you do to change it?" in a very defensive way when the interviewer asked the question of whether or not they would change pirates. It was almost as if the interviewer had just called admin a jackass or something, he reacted very poorly to the question or it was just his english I don't know. But to answer your question of how I would change it? There it is broskie, in black and white.

2bHkk.gif

Edited by Remo
  • Like 8

Isn't it more important to get the full economy and diplomacy of the game up and running first, before you can even consider what changes you want to make to pirates and how they are going to interact with those systems?

You're asking for a faction to be changed before you even know how its going to function with other parts of the game that aren't in yet. Its completely backwards.

I still don't understand why Pirates aren't the free "faction" that they should be. Where they don't have a capital, they don't capture land, they just use free/neutral ports as bases anywhere they like and just be total jerks to the nationals like they are supposed to. Hell they could even enter national ports if they can make it inside without getting jumped. Then later down the line they can go to a national capital port, sign up as a privateer which has a one week lock that locks them out of all enemy national ports and flags them as Brit/French/US whatever, and they gain the ability to send to Admiralty and get a increase to prize income. Slap a reputation system on the nationals that lets pirates build reputation with them that makes them non-aggro if they gain enough.

I really really don't get why they aren't like this.

Pirates don't need to capture freaking ports, they were individuals, they should be whatever they want to be.

I'm no developer, but the idea is so freaking simple that I'm literally thinking this all up while taking a dump right now, sitting on the toilet, just throwing this down.

Come on guys, it's not hard.

Because none of those systems are in the game yet. You cannot ask for a faction to be completely handicapped for the interim period while the rest of the game is developed, what a ridiculous notion.

FOR NOW, Pirates  have to be able to take land and capture ports because the current economic system REQUIRES it for them to be able to do any crafting of ship.

When you're building a house you get the walls and roof up first before you start laying down the carpets.

Edited by Tindahbawx
  • Like 3

Isn't it more important to get the full economy and diplomacy of the game up and running first, before you can even consider what changes you want to make to pirates and how they are going to interact with those systems?

You're asking for a faction to be changed before you even know how its going to function with other parts of the game that aren't in yet. Its completely backwards.

Because none of those systems are in the game yet. You cannot ask for a faction to be completely handicapped for the interim period while the rest of the game is developed, what a ridiculous notion.

FOR NOW, Pirates  have to be able to take land and capture ports because the current economic system REQUIRES it for them to be able to do any crafting of ship.

When you're building a house you get the walls and roof up first before you start laying down the carpets.

Want to start with the foundation first, not the walls and roof, but I digress. I don't care as long as they eventually change it. If they plan to keep pirates as-is permanently, that sucks a big 'ol fat pickle.

• Like 1

You probably need to re watch the stream from 2:33:00 and on.It might answer some of your questions regarding pirates and their possibility of changing.

Not sure if i can link it.I will need mod confirmation on this

Also as i have replied in another thread of pirates where you again made(but thats just a personal opinion):

Imho Pirate mechanics or everything regarding them is definetely going to change in the near future so it won't be "just another nation with a black flag".Cleary other critical mechanics regarding gameplay are more important at this stage.This game has been realeased as early access for a couple of months if am not mistaken.The open world itself is very young.So i don't see why this is such a big thing.All we need is patience.You can't expect that much from such a small team in such a short time.

Edited by Sella22
  • Like 1

Admin has stated that they cant radically alter the faction anymore. Too many would be unhappy. 

Apparently that's not the same as repeatedly wiping our assets.

So yeah we're stuck with Brethren of the Coast 2.0, easy mode piracy full of Jack Sparrows. 

It seems moot to post ideas as long as the status quo is here to stay

The writing is on the wall, guys.

This game's development is mechanic-driven, not system-driven.

Any decent form of unique pirate gameplay requires a ton of new content. When is that going to happen?

• Like 1

Remo,

your suggestion are good, but it's about timing.

That part about foundation is good, but the no one would be able to fly the "Jolly Roger".

For it would be the last thing implamented.

I would make the Privateer part that you where implying a month long instead of a week with; if you brake the contract or turned before the month you lose 2 LVLS.

Or you are a Normal Nation Allied to another, you turn or break in the month you go pirate and lose 2 LVLS.

Edited by Aussie Pastor

I feel like many people playing this game are experiencing early access for the first time.

If you don't like how it is now, set it down for a couple of months and come back.

You paid for an incomplete game on purpose.  Things are going to change.  Everything is in flux. 

Calm down and enjoy blowing up ships, nothing else at this point matters.

Yes, make suggestions, yes ask questions, but don't sit there and demand things from a game that isn't even complete.

• Like 2

Admin said he is ill. Flu. (by now it is "was")

Nothing to look forward to? You must have skipped the patch tease we had a few weeks ago.

Sadly the illness is delaying the development.

On a normal day/week there would be more traffic on the forums on behalf of the developers.

Lets hope Admin is right back in the saddle. Then we can hope to have a patch in the near future

Having one port makes the game very hard. It forces you into light ships. 

Players who are unhappy about the current sandbox should do something themselves: namely expel pirates from the bahamas forcing them into Inagua islands. 

Il-a-Vache based pirates play as real pirates already. Because they play for kills and robbing not conquest

1. They sail light vessels (or fast frigates) exclusively.
  2. They run from superior british fleets when british pass by or come to clear them up
  3. They support other nations acting as bait or as support

This is only happening because british are doing something in that area.

Why cannot nations do the same in the Bahamas for example?

• Like 4

Having one port makes the game very hard. It forces you into light ships.

Players who are unhappy about the current sandbox should do something themselves: namely expel pirates from the bahamas forcing them into Inagua islands.

Il-a-Vache based pirates play as real pirates already. Because they play for kills and robbing not conquest

• They sail light vessels (or fast frigates) exclusively.
  • They run from superior british fleets when british pass by or come to clear them up
  • They support other nations acting as bait or as support
This is only happening because british are doing something in that area.

Why cannot nations do the same in the Bahamas for example?

Numbers. With pirates being at last stated count 2nd largest faction and likely to grow to top spot.

It's a matter of simple attrition, by making them a nation instead of a truly unique and difficult class to play you are setting the stage for them to take over. They literally have no real restriction in game making the faction appeal to everyone.

I believe that after becoming 2nd largest in a matter of weeks by game launch they will be by far the largest faction making all others irrelevant.

Keep ignoring the issue and dodging questions on it and it will kill the game.

Edited by Justme
  • Like 9

Why do pirates make so many players unreasonably annoyed?

Just treat them as another nation for now, and then, in future, when mechanics are inplace to support them in a more unique role treat them as the pirates they should be.

For a start, I haven't seen a single pirate in the last four weeks, because they're a nation located mainly in the Bahamas and northern coasts of Hispaniola and Cuba.

I'd expect pirates to be everywhere in small numbers, not massively concentrated in one area... like a nation.

I've already played a game with a pirate nation. It didn't work out.

This game promised pirates to be completely different and not just another nation. You're talking about mechanics in the future. Can you name them?

I'm glad admin is better, but this issue comes from before his flu.

• Like 2

Why do pirates make so many players unreasonably annoyed?

Just treat them as another nation for now, and then, in future, when mechanics are inplace to support them in a more unique role treat them as the pirates they should be.

The main issue right now is that pirates are just another faction, one that has several unique game mechanics that work against them and one that is hated by all nations by default. In the end, pirates have zero advantage and have a prize on their heads before they even start.

I think piracy should be an individual choice/action that can rake up infamy and come with a pardon system, as well as privatering options, etc.