Game-Labs Forum

News from the south

admin

Posted Today, 11:13 AM

Gaizka, on 17 Feb 2016 - 11:10 AM, said:snapback.png

You are right the lack of organization from the Spanish side was (and is) an issue, but it wasnt by any means the main reason why we dont try to retake the ports.

Gaizka

Bastardos del Diablo Diplo

So why did you not got into contact with the US to discuss this issue? As far as I am informed, they would not refuse a conversation.

Because at this point, I am not the Spanish nation diplomat. Nor can I tell our diplo to contact you. 

We dont have a diplo, but we are having conversations to solve that.

We are starting to organize ourselfs. 

Just let me rephrase Otto Von Bismark

Spain is the most powerfull nation in Europe. Spanish people have been traying to destroy it for more than 500 years and they havent succeed so far.

Gaizka

Bastardos del Diablo Diplo.

• Like 1

To everyone complaining here:

THERE IS NO "SPANISH"

There is no "Spanish did it to themselves". There is no time-travelling device that allowed every new player to make decisions. There is no in-game council. There is no way a common rank and file player was a part of "THE SPANISH" loosing their ports. There is no way a new player who intends to play for Spain will agree that he should have a bad time because "THE SPANISH" failed.

You mix stuff up here. Spain is both it's clans and it's rank and file players. You cannot expect the latter to be punished. You cannot expect a nation will become a dead choice. It's obvious to see you value your virtual conquest too much. It doesn't matter. That 17-yo virgin guy who starts playing for Spain? His fun is more important than your virtual conquest.

No, you are not a internet overlord with the rights to convict others to the life of no-fun.

• Like 7

Posted Today, 11:13 AM

Gaizka, on 17 Feb 2016 - 11:10 AM, said:snapback.png

So why did you not got into contact with the US to discuss this issue? As far as I am informed, they would not refuse a conversation.

Because at this point, I am not the Spanish nation diplomat. Nor can I tell our diplo to contact you. 

We dont have a diplo, but we are having conversations to solve that.

We are starting to organize ourselfs. 

Just let me rephrase Otto Von Bismark

Spain is the most powerfull nation in Europe. Spanish people have been traying to destroy it for more than 500 years and they havent succeed so far.

Gaizka

Bastardos del Diablo Diplo.

Well, maybe it is time to standup and put yourself into charge. Rumours told me, there were some conversations within the spanish chat, to bring someone to the point to do so and to get in contact with the US. As my informations are correct spain refused it so far, because they think they have "nothing to offer".

Honestly, get in gear for the good of your nation, for the good of the game and get in contact with the US. Get the point - this issue cannot be solved by the devs. Never ever.

Posted Today, 10:57 AM

"The Spanish lost due to their own actions. instead of strengthening their own home area, they moved en masse to south America. If you need to move their home port to make it safer from attack, move It to the south side of cuba where there is a cluster of ports. they will be fine there if they can be bothered to actually defend it. its quite hard to get to from either british or americans ports. however if they continue to just sit in south America they wont defend anything.

The whole thing is nothing to do with timers or location, just internal bad decisions."

You couldnt be more wrong. 

We wont defend anything anywere at 5 am. in a EU server. 

Please prove me wrong by doing the same with the Brits or by setting the timers of ALL the taken ports at 10 PM GMT :D  

You are right the lack of organization from the Spanish side was (and is) an issue, but it wasnt by any means the main reason why we dont try to retake the ports.

Gaizka

No, you are just not telling the truth. I have been online when the ports around cuba were being captured. it was in the evening EU time. and i know for a fact that there were lots of spanish players avalible at those times to defend because i was in a battle with them, in south america. 6-8 Spanish ports were lost while those battles were going on in the south with 40 spanish players. Why werent they defending the capital? how can you blame timers in that case? and anyway the americans have to sleep too, so go re-cap when they are. its nonsense, its excuses. the Americans are bigger and better organised and the Spanish clans mostly ran away. thats the real reason.

• Like 1

Can we please get over with PB times, who did what and when, and all this stuff. We really have an issue to solve and this issue is a part of the social aspect of this game. Either we start conversations or the game will get ripped appart by the interventions of the devs. An intervention will just encourage every nation to run to mom and dad, once they get under pressure.

C'mon guys. Lack of unity and all that things are important but we coulndn't fight back.

The fact is spain is a small or medium populated faction and we were put in the middle of the three largest factions in all game. We have the problem of to be one timezone for 80-90% of players.

The first day was evident our position in map is not ideal, but the first day we can't go to forum to complain because the need of people to see with their own eyes. Now is time because is evident for all.

Now is early acces and beta or alpha and is NOW when a change can be done without real detriment for others.

If we make a treaty with US, then we only hide the problem. And as the game is early access and beta or alpha is good uncover fails. And the position of Habana for a underdog and timezone limited faction is a great fail.

I am speaking with devs thinking here, not as spanish. If other faction had the same problem I would speak the same and no biased as I do in ships polls.

Again, the actual situation where spaniards are fighting in other side is not valid. Many people gave up the situation and others only took the workarround and changed the capitol to Colombia for at least lose against someone in actual battles. 

And for all spanish people, stop to say about US or EU servers ownership, kick factions from game and all that.

For all people, don't think with faction or national minds, we are testing for get a better game for all in launch.

• Like 4

Siegfried is right. Problem with Spain is evident and need to be addressed someway. It's up to the Devs to choose how to do that. It's OK for me if they will decide to change Spanish Capital position, rework some conquest mechanics or wipe Ports Map. We are in EA after all, and our first concern should be to improve the game and make it attractive for the largest audience possible once it will be fully released. Right now Spain is almost unplayable and would be a big mistake to leave things the way they are, considering we are still in EA stage. Captains, the good of the game comes first.    

• Like 2

This coin has two sides for me. On the one hand, I fully understand that it is bad for the game, bad for the playerbase, and bad for "fun" (of all nations) when one nation gets wiped out. I do think that the speed at which Spain is losing ports is not something that should be considered "fine". However, Spain did start out with a number of ports that is completely unrealistic considering its playerbase, so you can only expect that it would lose quite a lot of ports.

On the other hand, the spanish players are partly to blame themselves. It seems to me that not much thought went into their choices on fleet placement (fleets fighting in the SW, while their capital is getting surrounded), and perhaps their diplomatic choices. If the spanish had stuck to the area's around their capital and accepted that they are too small a group to hold a huge size of the map, they'd probably be of a similar size like the danes and swedes now, securely based around their capital.

Also, a nation that complains about timezones, port timers and number of players available, but refuses to speak anything but spanish in their nation chat seems a little hypocritical to me. If you worry about timezones so much, who don't you try a bit harder to be an inviting place for non-spanish people? Invest in an atmosphere that is nice for people from all over the world to join, instead of stubbornly speak spanish all day and thus be stuck with a small group of players from a single timezone.

Why should all of thát be rewarded with dev's intervening and "regulating" a war that is partly being lost by a nation's own mistakes? One of the in-game loading screens even sais: "Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake". 

If the spanish regroup and come up with a coordinated plan, I'm sure they can slowly regain the ports around the capital. Yes, it might take a few weekend-night-raids and yes, it might require almost every player you have to help out. But that's a whole lot better than fighting petty battles far in the SW (in a region you know you couldn't ever hold with your numbers anyway), while watching your capital get surrounded and complaining about it.

C'mon guys. Lack of unity and all that things are important but we coulndn't fight back.

The fact is spain is a small or medium populated faction and we were put in the middle of the three largest factions in all game. We have the problem of to be one timezone for 80-90% of players.

That's kinda what I'm saying: You *created* the problem of having 90% of your people in the same timezone. Why would any non-spanish ever want to join your faction when no one ever speaks english? Have a look in danish, swedish and dutch chats... all mainly english and all have a lot of international players.

Also, the timezones isn't even such a big deal. If US sets the timezone of a port to their time, make a night-raid out of it. All you need is 25 players, more wont fit in the battle anyway. It's mere minutes sail from your capital to the next town (try playing the dutch faction, see how it is to always have to sail 15-60 minutes for each port), so you'll be there before they can even react. And when you win: Set the timer to your prime time. Rinse and repeat until you have a decent amount of ports again, but for the love of god, forget about taking or defending ports on the other side of the map. You're not big enough and never will be, unless you try harder to recruit foreign people.

Edited by IronClaw
  • Like 1

When sometime in the future a wipe is going to happen, can't all ports start as neutral except the capitals? Move the spaniard capital to a better position, and from there out each nation is free to expand to whatever direction they want to go -> no default owned ports.

• Like 1

"No, you are just not telling the truth. I have been online when the ports around cuba were being captured. it was in the evening EU time. and i know for a fact that there were lots of spanish players avalible at those times to defend because i was in a battle with them, in south america. 6-8 Spanish ports were lost while those battles were going on in the south with 40 spanish players. Why werent they defending the capital? how can you blame timers in that case? and anyway the americans have to sleep too, so go re-cap when they are. its nonsense, its excuses. the Americans are bigger and better organised and the Spanish clans mostly ran away. thats the real reason."

The Spanish main Clan RAE didnt move to the south untill matanzas timer was set at 4-6 am. I am not wrong in that for sure. Regarding if I am telling the truth or not, I am just telling how I see it from what I know for sure.

I would never say you are not telling the truth, but as i said before, you couldnt be more wrong.

Gaizka

Bastardos sin Gloria Diplo.

What is "going to south" is this thread...

Go to discuss timers, bad diplomatics or decisions to another thread.

Spanish capitol was moved to Habana in the last world before this wipe, when only 100 people were online. Still people did not stay in habana and this problem didn't arised then. And that capitol didn't the only city changed.

British's zerg capitol was changed from Lesser Antilles to Jamaica and nobody said about mom or dad coming to help the others. Dutch capitol was changed to ABC islands and nobody said something about mom and dad coming for help them. All that moves were for fix issues and give balance and it worked. Now is time to fix the bad move spain is suffering, but people is complaining?

Second explanation for better understanding: Months ago devs quit the british zerg from the gates of Sweden, Denmark and Dutch. Dutch were given the "promised paradise" for extend for uncontested spanish ports in Venezuela, nobody complaint then... Now is time for save spain from the unified zerg from 3 big factions.

Devs believed that spain should be a strong nation based in the spain from POTBS and they were wrong, this need adjust and now is early access, a perfect time for fix bad stuff.

If devs change ports now (and we don't know what they want to do) is for fix that bad move NOW that they and us have seen now, not before. Nobody call "mom and dad" for help. Remember that is a test phase in early access.

• Like 1

I wish the devs could post relative country strengths (# of players - or better yet - number of player hours).

i realy would like to know about the same data but i fear that if a nation is weaker than the other , people will just left it because their a weaker and won't compete and do like a spiral ^^'

What is "going to south" is this thread...

Go to discuss timers, bad diplomatics or decisions to another thread.

Spanish capitol was moved to Habana in the last world before this wipe, when only 100 people were online. Still people did not stay in habana and this problem didn't arised then. And that capitol didn't the only city changed.

British's zerg capitol was changed from Lesser Antilles to Jamaica and nobody said about mom or dad coming to help the others. Dutch capitol was changed to ABC islands and nobody said something about mom and dad coming for help them. All that moves were for fix issues and give balance and it worked. Now is time to fix the bad move spain is suffering, but people is complaining?

Second explanation for better understanding: Months ago devs quit the british zerg from the gates of Sweden, Denmark and Dutch. Dutch were given the "promised paradise" for extend for uncontested spanish ports in Venezuela, nobody complaint then... Now is time for save spain from the unified zerg from 3 big factions.

Devs believed that spain should be a strong nation based in the spain from POTBS and they were wrong, this need adjust and now is early access, a perfect time for fix bad stuff.

If devs change ports now (and we don't know what they want to do) is for fix that bad move NOW that they and us have seen now, not before. Nobody call "mom and dad" for help. Remember that is a test phase in early access.

Maybe the developers are spending to much time/effort on making the game like everyone else's instead of making it their own.

• Like 1

Yea, player numbers is not information that is going to be used well by the community.

unless you also introduce incentives to balance it out. Largest get an XP penalty (ie gain it at slower rate), smallest get a boost until the pops get roughly equal.

Edit - spelling

Edited by Mighty Bouff
  • Like 2

Posted Today, 10:57 AM

"The Spanish lost due to their own actions. instead of strengthening their own home area, they moved en masse to south America. If you need to move their home port to make it safer from attack, move It to the south side of cuba where there is a cluster of ports. they will be fine there if they can be bothered to actually defend it. its quite hard to get to from either british or americans ports. however if they continue to just sit in south America they wont defend anything.

The whole thing is nothing to do with timers or location, just internal bad decisions."

You couldnt be more wrong. 

We wont defend anything anywere at 5 am. in a EU server. 

Please prove me wrong by doing the same with the Brits or by setting the timers of ALL the taken ports at 10 PM GMT :D  

Gaizka

Why not? Britain just did it against the US earlier. As far as I can tell the Spaniards have never defended a single port and instead choose to claim that every timer is at 5 am and champion a cause on the forums instead of actually fighting in the game. What about when you lost 10 ports over Saturday while giving no opposition?

Maybe the developers are spending to much time/effort on making the game like everyone else's instead of making it their own.

Because... everyone else tried to balance Spanish home port... what...?

Are you even aware what you wrote is zero-content fear-mongering nonsense?

Because... everyone else tried to balance Spanish home port... what...?

Are you even aware what you wrote is zero-content fear-mongering nonsense?

How is it fear mongering? More people seem to be more interested in making this game more like EVE and POTBS than letting the developers make something unique.

As far as moving the Capital, it will not make a difference if the Spanish faction player base is too small and remains unorganized.

It will be like reorganizing the deck chairs on the titanic.

A little change of capitol (if that is the object from this thread) is not a great change. This is a early access and we need find the correct set of positions in the map.

I even don't know why I am expend so many time disscusing this. I am in this game only for the battles with ships and the ship models ;)

But if the game works for all players in all timezones in the same server... it will be a great game right?

Please Justme refrain to speak that about spain faction, if spain is in other side they can play too. Maybe in a year spain can be a great faction without troubles.

• Like 1

How is it fear mongering? More people seem to be more interested in making this game more like EVE and POTBS than letting the developers make something unique.

As far as moving the Capital, it will not make a difference if the Spanish faction player base is too small and remains unorganized.

It will be like reorganizing the deck chairs on the titanic.

Honestly even if the Spanish player base was the size of the British, if they keep acting as disorganised as they seem to be they would probably be in a similar mess.

Their Capital really does need moving as to try and hold Cuba would require good coordination and that's not going to suddenly going to appear overnight. Moving them to Mexico would be the best bet given how far away it is from any other Capital, they should be able to hold on to it.

• Like 1

I even don't know why I am expend so many time disscusing this. I am in this game only for the battles with ships and the ship models ;)

But if the game works for all players in all timezones in the same server... it will be a great game right?

Only reason I'm here is to fight sink things lol. Hope to sink you sometime, in good fun of course.

Time zone balance is a very difficult issue simply due to no matter what you do someone is always left out of something.